Quantcast

My BOSS Build Platform

mkohman

I've already explained it to you ;)

Have you tested out your buttkicker since adding the new feet?

The Z axis is up/down motion, the X axis is side to side. The dimmer (and much smaller) lines are the BK feet, big ones are the Hudson ones

Here are the graphs separated out but the scales are different so it's not immediately obvious just how much more tactile feedback there is with the new feet
Morning and cheers Rich.. Indeed you have and much appreciated ;)

Yes I tried it briefly a few days ago but not properly sat and watched a movie as I have been working all week and still am till Wednesday. So will properly put it to the test from Wednesday. I am however very pleased with the results from what I have tested.. :thumbsup:

richardsim7

Distinguished Member
Did you carry out these tests with your body weight applied, i.e sat on your chair?
Nah but both tests were done under the same conditions. It's probably not amazingly accurate but you get the idea. Will build a Viberry someday...

puneet83

Let's see what the fuss is all about!

I'll be mounting them directly to the underside of the bed frame and use 30mm nylon spacers for clearance.

It was particularly difficult to get approval for these from SWMBO as our bed already has two BK LFEs.

Just have to wait now for Xmas break.
20191215_124710.jpg

Wull

Nah but both tests were done under the same conditions. It's probably not amazingly accurate but you get the idea. Will build a Viberry someday...
Not sure your results count for much then. :)

My sofa wobbles easily (squash balls installed) with no weight. Quite different when weight is applied.

puneet83

Put Boxing Day to good use. The end result is simply astonishing! The creaking complaints from the bed is only masked by the rumbles of 4xIB18s.

I also added a minidsp HD to the signal chain, but still need to watch a BEQ restored movie. However, I'm now not sure if it's needed as I was already trimming down bass when we watched Deadpool last night.

The head shaking disapproval from the missus at the end confirmed that mission was successful!!

20191227_102551.jpg
20191226_133609.jpg

mkohman

Put Boxing Day to good use. The end result is simply astonishing! The creaking complaints from the bed is only masked by the rumbles of 4xIB18s.

I also added a minidsp HD to the signal chain, but still need to watch a BEQ restored movie. However, I'm now not sure if it's needed as I was already trimming down bass when we watched Deadpool last night.

The head shaking disapproval from the missus at the end confirmed that mission was successful!!

View attachment 1237024
View attachment 1237026
Play a continuous 20hz test tone whilst in bed tonight with the Mrs doing the business and I am sure she will no longer shake her head to disapprove :rotfl:

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Nice setup, How are you getting on with it ?

I'm Interested to know, As it was yourself that put me on to the idea of building one myself :D

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Nice setup, How are you getting on with it ?

I'm Interested to know, As it was yourself that put me on to the idea of building one myself :D
Yeh, brilliant, coupled with Bass EQ it's awesome, they're two of the best upgrades I've ever done :)

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
Yeh, brilliant, coupled with Bass EQ it's awesome, they're two of the best upgrades I've ever done :)
Nice!, I look forward to building my own!, Although I'm struggling to find any of the JBL GT5-12's unfortunatly :(

Wull

you do know it doesn't necessarily need to be JBL GT5-12's? It can be any subwoofer driver of your choice :)
I agree. I use a driver which you probably wouldn't be able to give away at a car boot sale that does a fantastic job. But I also know how it is when spending money too. I guess its nature way to go with what's tried and tested.

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
you do know it doesn't necessarily need to be JBL GT5-12's? It can be any subwoofer driver of your choice :)
I agree. I use a driver which you probably wouldn't be able to give away at a car boot sale that does a fantastic job. But I also know how it is when spending money too. I guess its nature way to go with what's tried and tested.
Hi,
If you have any suggestions for suitable alternatives that would be good to use, I’ve started my own thread Here

Thanks

Alaric

Nice!, I look forward to building my own!, Although I'm struggling to find any of the JBL GT5-12's unfortunatly :(
To be honest the JBL GT5 was my fault. I couldn't find the original JBL speakers mentioned in the AVS thread by the guy who created it, for a reasonable price in the UK. His original idea was because best buy in the states has some cheap car sub speakers that came up on sale for like $30 and he wondered if he could make use of them for tactile stuff as we were all a little excited by the BEQ thread and to be honest at that price it didn't cost much to experiment.

The GT5's were readily available back in march and were also pretty cheap and they fit the rough parameters pretty well and if anything were slightly better than the original spec ones. You're mainly looking at xmax because the more excursion of the driver the better in terms of power handling in free space. They don't need a lot of power because of the free space thing and this is the area to watch so you don't destroy the speaker!

There's some discussion on my earlier thread in terms of speakers, though most should be able to be used as you tune the power/excursion slowly to the point you get a good effect with a bass heavy movie whilst still leaving a bit of head room. You don't really "hear" the speaker so quality is less of an issue and they're car audio subs anyway and there is always a point of diminishing returns in this game. ~£100 for a pair is a good price point for a LOT of fun for silly outlay. Doubling the cost won't add much and halving it doesn't save much!

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
To be honest the JBL GT5 was my fault. I couldn't find the original JBL speakers mentioned in the AVS thread by the guy who created it, for a reasonable price in the UK. His original idea was because best buy in the states has some cheap car sub speakers that came up on sale for like $30 and he wondered if he could make use of them for tactile stuff as we were all a little excited by the BEQ thread and to be honest at that price it didn't cost much to experiment.

The GT5's were readily available back in march and were also pretty cheap and they fit the rough parameters pretty well and if anything were slightly better than the original spec ones. You're mainly looking at xmax because the more excursion of the driver the better in terms of power handling in free space. They don't need a lot of power because of the free space thing and this is the area to watch so you don't destroy the speaker!

There's some discussion on my earlier thread in terms of speakers, though most should be able to be used as you tune the power/excursion slowly to the point you get a good effect with a bass heavy movie whilst still leaving a bit of head room. You don't really "hear" the speaker so quality is less of an issue and they're car audio subs anyway and there is always a point of diminishing returns in this game. ~£100 for a pair is a good price point for a LOT of fun for silly outlay. Doubling the cost won't add much and halving it doesn't save much!

Thanks for the reply,

I've asked over on AVS about an alternative (JBL Stage S2'1224) and they get the thumbs up, @Wull has posted some alternative JVC drivers that have a larger xmax, I've asked about them too, just to compare.

Which ever comes out better, I'll be ordering 4 of them, 2 in each half of a corner sofa.

Thanks

Alaric

Thanks for the reply,

I've asked over on AVS about an alternative (JBL Stage S2'1224) and they get the thumbs up, @Wull has posted some alternative JVC drivers that have a larger xmax, I've asked about them too, just to compare.

Which ever comes out better, I'll be ordering 4 of them, 2 in each half of a corner sofa.

Thanks
To be honest I was looking at the S2 1224's when i did mine. I liked the lower frequency handling though they were double the cost back in march at £99 each and had a slightly lower xmax - They should go a bit lower but have slightly less power handling. I'd expect them to work great!

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
To be honest I was looking at the S2 1224's when i did mine. I liked the lower frequency handling though they were double the cost back in march at £99 each and had a slightly lower xmax - They should go a bit lower but have slightly less power handling. I'd expect them to work great!
The JBL S2 1224’s can be had for £50 now and the JVC’s can be had for a similar, if not cheaper price.
I’ll keep my eye on availability and make my decision in the next day or so!

Thanks for the reply :)