My BOSS Build Platform

I used the Hudson Isolators too, They were in stock a couple of days ago, Not now unfortunatly....maybe we have some secret Boss builders out there ;)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ok Ok @paulst10 @Stoke192 :D I'm convinced :) Going to jump in with one more question, Are the two 12 inch drivers sufficient for a normal 2 seater?

I've a MUCH bigger 7' x 8' two tier 5 seat platform riser in my cinema. A pair of buttkickers, an origional buttkicker and a pair of clarke tst329's - Added a pair of GT5 12" to the front of the platform and to be fair they make MORE of a difference than the rest combined. It may be that they are directly under my Lazyboy love seat where as the rest as more in the back half due to the way things were constructed.
It's suspended on some industrial fan mounts which are probably stiffer than the balls or inner-tubes which i'm guessing means more movement with less wattage and the hover gets a excursion kick back meaning they can be driven harder, but yeah. a couple of drivers and pretty low wattage can be pretty spectacular!

I really must get out the viberry i built and do some comparison runs. I'm guessing the boss is faster but less deep. As for subs i've also got a pair of eq'd Paradigm Servo 15's which do well with the low stuff, but tactile has always been a different if connected thing. It not either/or, both is best!

My room is a pretty average uk living room, essentially a concrete box, apart from the ceiling.
My couch is also a heavy metal framed leather affair.
I also live in a semi, so have neighbours to think of too.
I have a single Mono+, which delivers plenty of bass, maybe not as low as some on here, but I’m happy with it.
Due to the room I get very little TR, if any.
I’ve built a boss platform for the same cost as another mono (if you take the minidsp out of it, as it’s not required for it to work) and it delivers TR in spades!
Would I get any more TR with a second sub ?, possibly, but I doubt it.
VNF subs and the SPL’s required are not really an option either with next door to consider.
Which brings me back to the boss, It does it’s job very well, I can’t compare it to buttkickers or crowsons, as I’ve never owned them.
For me personally, From the limited use it’s had it delivers what I was after/missing and adds so much to the immersion when watching a film.
I’d encourage anyone thinking about it, to give it a go, it might just deliver what your missing without the expense of buying multiple large subs.

Also, Hat’s off to the guy over on AVS that came up with the idea and shared it.
:)

Last edited:
I've got despatch confirmation for 2 x JBL GT5-12, hopefully I can make some headway in the next week or 2. I'm still dubious they will arrive, as the GT5 seem very scarce !

I'm wondering if anyone has tried industrial isolation feet. I've currently got sofa with a Buttkicker LFE on some of these.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
My room is a pretty average uk living room, essentially a concrete box, apart from the ceiling.
My couch is also a heavy metal framed leather affair.
I also live in a semi, so have neighbours to think of too.
Yeh, me too. I'm in a 60's built 2 bed bungalow, concrete floors/walls etc! But i used to get fairly decent TR around the low 20hz. The BOSS just brings it to a whole new level, now I can listen at lower volume (not that I do lol) and still get really decent TR, The HoverBOSS is taking it to another level above :) (I'll do a write up soon but basically it's more of the same. but better, below 20hz) 😱

I see what you mean @paulst10. Got my pressure gauge. Reckon i've been running less than 2psi.
So not surprised yours is like a rocking chair :) I've settled for 2.4psi for now.

Yeh I thought even 5+psi was a bit high, I use an AA digital handheld tire meter (used for the car) to measure mine, makes me wonder how those in the US are measuring theirs..

I've got despatch confirmation for 2 x JBL GT5-12, hopefully I can make some headway in the next week or 2. I'm still dubious they will arrive, as the GT5 seem very scarce !
I'm wondering if anyone has tried industrial isolation feet. I've currently got sofa with a Buttkicker LFE on some of these.

Nice, lucky you got some GT5-12's, @Stoke192 had some trouble finding them. Not sure about the feet though, generally the softer the better as far I know (silicone based seems to be the optimal solution)..

Last edited:
Yeah, Nice on managing to find some GT5-12's, I couldn't find any anywhere at the time, Although the 1224's are performing admirably ;)

Inner tubes now, haha whatever next? I have a three seater sofa but we only use the ends..would i want 2 or 3 thumpey things
2 drivers might/probably do it. Do it, and never look back ;) Or as you're fairly local, you could pop round for a demo if you need convincing :)

Been trying to work out of the best way to apply this. I came across this on avs, situating the drivers outside the seating area, ie putting the two drivers behind the sofa, as it’s reclining, I may not have sufficient clearance directly underneath. Any thoughts? Also the floating idea.... are the tubes used to support the whole structure or to only seal the drivers?

Thanks

Been trying to work out of the best way to apply this.

The JBL 1224 which seems to be the driver that's still readily available is pretty shallow
I've got a reclining chair and it looks like this style of driver will just about squeeze in place. I may still need to get the welder out on the sofa frame though :rotfl:

Attachments

• Dimensions.jpg
    Dimensions.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 124
  • JBL s2 1224 Driver.jpg
    JBL s2 1224 Driver.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 135
Been trying to work out of the best way to apply this. I came across this on avs, situating the drivers outside the seating area, ie putting the two drivers behind the sofa, as it’s reclining, I may not have sufficient clearance directly underneath. Any thoughts? Also the floating idea.... are the tubes used to support the whole structure or to only seal the drivers?

Thanks

There's a guide here to all things Boss, It's like a summary of that entire thread over on AVS.

Baffle Open Sub Shaker (BOSS) Setup & Calibration Tips - 2020-01

Cantilever Boss, Is what i think your talking about, I can't comment as I haven't built/used one but there's plenty that have over on AVS with good results, I'll have to defer to the guy's that have the tubes installed, as i've not installed any myself.....Yet ;)

Thanks

I've had a driver set up as a 'Back BOSS' 'diver placed behind my chair facing into my back' The results are very good this way. You can really ramp up the TR to insane levels if you desire. Inner tube placement must be around the driver. But there is no hard and fast rule for using more, or what psi to set these to. Everyone's setup differs in weight and size. So it's a case of finding what works best for you. The ISO's (hudson type isolaters, or dog balls in my case) help stabilise the platform.

2 drivers ordered JBL 12" Inch 1100w Car Audio Subwoofer Driver Bass STAGE SPL Sub Woofer New | eBay Check :)

Tubes ordered Check :)

Do you need alot of power? I've a spare tag power amp @ 60w per channel I could use. Seems to be overkill for this though. I've seen crowns on the classifieds at the moment , would that be a better option?
60W should be OK, I'd try that first before buying something else. The recommended is 80W per driver but apparently the HoverBOSS doesn't need as much power..

I'm feeding my 1224's 60w each as that was recommended by trhought over on AVS for a mini riser , I was thinking of giving them a bit more and see how it goes though, Probably up to 80w each.

Thanks all. Will be probably the weekend before I start a little woodwork, but really looking forward to doing this as it sounds and feels like the way to go for proper TR :) Need to ignore @paulst10 as he’s costing me something with every new thread :)

Thanks all. Will be probably the weekend before I start a little woodwork, but really looking forward to doing this as it sounds and feels like the way to go for proper TR :) Need to ignore @paulst10 as he’s costing me something with every new thread :)
Could be worse, I could have said you need another 10 of the same subwoofers to achieve the same results ;) And even I doubt that'd be enough if you get TR at 5hz or below, especially with a ported sub :D

Or two 😁 If this is anything like the benefit BEQ. Gives you, holy crap, it's gonna be awesome 👍

4 Monoliths won't come close lol, the SPL will be greater but the roll off will be the same..

It will be awesome, especially with BEQ :)

^^ This, Speaking as a Mono+ owner.

Best 500 quid I’ve spent on my setup, big sub feel, without the need/expense of multiple large subs.
Couple that with BEQ for more ULF sofa wobble = Win Win ;)

Shout out to @paulst10 for making me aware of this idea,

I had friends around over the weekend and they were pretty impressed too!

Do you need alot of power? I've a spare tag power amp @ 60w per channel I could use. Seems to be overkill for this though. I've seen crowns on the classifieds at the moment , would that be a better option?

The boss due to open baffle doesn't need a lot of power and it doesn't need to be particularly clean power either so THDs don't really matter. We're not listening to the speakers but moving air which is why car subs are great for this, speed, excursion and sensitivity are more important.

I'd certainly give the amp a go, i'd say it's possibly a bit nice and audiophile! Also note the impedance as typically power ~doubles at lower impedance so you may have ~120w at 4ohms and two speakers in series, switched at 2ohms is 4ohms total! - Go careful with the volume on this so you don't exceed maximum excursion and you are good to go!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom