my blu-ray & hd dvd HTPC so far

aerobic247

As i am building a duel HD disc HTPC i needed a case with 2 disc drive bays and a touch screen
so i could play back my music with out having to switch on my projector so that left me with one choice the silverstone lc18 at £400
Image093.jpg

My HTPC is built around a Asus p5b wifi deluxe motherboard with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
AsusP5BDeluxe.jpg

and my grafix card of choice is the BFG 8600 as it has 2 HDCP DVI outputs
599469-A.jpg

I have only have one disc drive in at the moment the new Pioneer BDC-202
i shall be ordering my self a HD DVD rom drive in the next couple of weeks or so
Image096.jpg

when i switched on the PC for the first time i noticed it sounded like leaf blower so went strait on line and got me a scythe ninja and let me tell you that is one big ass cooler
Image106.jpg

Image104.jpg

Image101.jpg

Here are a couple of before and after pics
Image107.jpg

Image108.jpg

Image109.jpg

I am using a Zalman ZM400B-APS 400w power supply 2 SATA samsung spinpoints a 250GB & 500GB
and a old spare ATA Maxtor 500GB i had in another pc

So please tell me what you think so far, i would appreciate any feedback questions of comments you have

enablerbro1

Firstly, smart case, I wish I had a spare £400. For my first HTPC I went with a Fusion and a little 12" monitor from DGM. :)

With HTPCs, more than any other type of PC, the case really is crucial. The fact that you can fit a Ninja in it is very impressive it's just a shame they weren't able to fit in 120mm case fans. How cool does it run in the case, the temp of the CPU in general use? Also, how much CPU usage, 5 wise, when you're playing Bluray?

Will you be getting the Tosh HD DVDRom drive?

aerobic247

Firstly, smart case, I wish I had a spare £400. For my first HTPC I went with a Fusion and a little 12" monitor from DGM. :)

With HTPCs, more than any other type of PC, the case really is crucial. The fact that you can fit a Ninja in it is very impressive it's just a shame they weren't able to fit in 120mm case fans. How cool does it run in the case, the temp of the CPU in general use? Also, how much CPU usage, 5 wise, when you're playing Bluray?

Will you be getting the Tosh HD DVDRom drive?

i forgot to say the Ninja was to tall i had to grind 10mm off the top of it :oops:
lucky for me i work as a metal fabricator

you read my mind i will be getting the Tosh HD DVDRom
CPU in general use 60ºc of 140ºf with the CPU fan in quiet mode
as for the for blu-ray playback i have no blu-ray discs as yet just HD DVDs

that i play thought my xbox 360

enablerbro1

no way an i cutting a hole in the top of my case for the cooler to stick out of
it was much easier to remove the caps off the copper pipes and take a orbital grinder to them.
Would there be no way to "elevate" the part of the case above the heatsink, cut out a square to accommodate to height of the Ninja and then weld a grill or similar back on?

aerobic247

Would there be no way to "elevate" the part of the case above the heatsink,
the lid of the case sits flush with the top of the front panel
to raise it would have left a gap
cut out a square to accommodate to height of the Ninja and then weld a grill or similar back on?
ass soon as you start welding aluminum it will twist and warp all over the place
not to mention the mess i would make of the powder coat finish

the copper pipes are only there to transfer heat to the aluminum fins
to remove the excess pipe will not affect the coolers performance in any way

SeanT

Distinguished Member
That is one cheeky price for the Tosh drive, things are looking up for HD DVD. That is one monster HTPC, I chose the minimalist approach (I still use CDs!) but that is pretty cool!
If you have cut the heatpipes on the cooler you really need to crimp the ends shut again if you haven't already for them to be fully effective (convection)

Zarch

Great looking build, keep us posted.

What software you running on there?

fathazza

ah, i think youve just sold me on an hd-dvd drive... tho im not sure i should have thanked you for making me spend money!

Its a nice looking system i have to say. How are you finding the touchscreen? Ive always thought they look great but are probably really fiddly in practice because they are pretty small. Does it work alright for you or is it something you may find yourself just not using so much after a few weeks?

I cant afford £400, but i did find something a bit cheaper here for anyone else who is interested http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=329922 tho from the pic the build quality doesnt look that great.

what tv card are you using?

Epicurus

That's a seriously smart set up you have made yourself. What do you have it connected to for movie viewing?

aerobic247

ah, i think youve just sold me on an hd-dvd drive... tho im not sure i should have thanked you for making me spend money!

Its a nice looking system i have to say. How are you finding the touchscreen? Ive always thought they look great but are probably really fiddly in practice because they are pretty small. Does it work alright for you or is it something you may find yourself just not using so much after a few weeks?

I cant afford £400, but i did find something a bit cheaper here for anyone else who is interested http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=329922 tho from the pic the build quality doesnt look that great.

what tv card are you using?

you need to set the touchscreen's resolution quite low, around 480p
or you will not be able to make any thing out

i have not yet decided on a TV card as yet....

so if any one has any suggestions?

SeanT

Distinguished Member
Is that a beasty looking matrix switcher on the side there?
You seriously need to find someone to swap a silver amp for a black one!

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
THX launches Onyx MQA supporting DAC/Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio introduces Evo all-in-one audio system
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts