Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions, it was really useful getting some others perspectives. IT felt like each company had different names for the same thing and after visiting Currys today I noticed that unless they were Oled or expensive TVs I really couldn't tell the difference much.

With that said I think I'm going to keep an eye out for a 55XH9505 on sale or wait until the 55U8QFTUK drops a little more in price, I'm assuming during November prices will decrease some.

@Dodgexander Thank you in particular for the amazing guides, they helped immensely in trying to make sense of everything and giving me a starting point.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions, it was really useful getting some others perspectives. IT felt like each company had different names for the same thing and after visiting Currys today I noticed that unless they were Oled or expensive TVs I really couldn't tell the difference much.

With that said I think I'm going to keep an eye out for a 55XH9505 on sale or wait until the 55U8QFTUK drops a little more in price, I'm assuming during November prices will decrease some.

@Dodgexander Thank you in particular for the amazing guides, they helped immensely in trying to make sense of everything and giving me a starting point.
I just bought a 55XH9505 for under £800 with a NHS discount.

Thanks to @Dodgexander for answering all my questions and putting me on to what appears to be a great TV

By that time they'll be long gone.

These are 2020 models and currently being sold through, trying to find a Sony XH9505 is getting difficult in 65" and once they're sold through, they're gone and the replacements are selling at full price.

The best time to buy a TV is June/July, when you can pick up last years models at max discount, after that it's getting dicier to find these runout models.

The 55XH9505 was a £1600 TV at launch, it's not going to get much, if any cheaper than the £850 it is now unless you find a refurb.
Occasionally, Sony keep a model for a two-year cycle and you can get it cheaper, however, that's not the case here as there is a replacement for the XH9505 already out.

Hisense don't discount as much as other manufacturers as they don't put a huge premium on the price at launch and stay steadier in price over the course of the year.

Ah right ok, that's handy to know.

Do you have a suggestion on what I could look for instead of the XH9505? I almost bought a refurbished LG OLED55BX6LB for £700 today but I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra £100 over my budget.

Keep an eye on the Sony Centre for refurbs, the warranty can be extended at an extra cost. Call your local centre when you see something as I've found they're more likely to deal.

If you want a TV that's good for HDR then there's nothing short of an OLED, an XH9505, a Hisense U8 or a Samsung Q80T. Anything from this year is way beyond your budget or way under spec.

Keep an eye on the Sony Centre for refurbs, the warranty can be extended at an extra cost. Call your local centre when you see something as I've found they're more likely to deal.

If you want a TV that's good for HDR then there's nothing short of an OLED, an XH9505, a Hisense U8 or a Samsung Q80T. Anything from this year is way beyond your budget or way under spec.
Thank you, I'll keep an eye out for those models. Sadly my closes sony place is 2 hours away, I wouldn't mind the trip if I knew I was going to get something though.

I did find an independent place selling a 2020 U8 for £550 so I might check that out.

When it comes to refurbs as well, be careful who you buy from.

Do they have a decent returns policy?
Restocking fee?
Decent warranty?

MY LG tv...8 years old......is now hardly watchable...about 18 white dots in the background. Looking to get new TV by Spring next year..2022.......so I can start to research, when do you expect reviews to come out ? Going to be steered strongly by this excellent group and will favour the Sony brand....only because in our Winter room our old Sony Bravia has a brilliant picture and has outlasted our very average Samsung and LG tv's.....the Wife reminds me almost every day!

Cheers,

M

Not got my bedroom TV yet still looking at the Samsung 43AU9000 waiting for it to drop on way up to Christmas, seen a couple list different part numbers ie 43AU9000 / 43AU9002 / 43AU9007 What does these mean? Were they for different countries or the type of panel fitted ie IPS / VA ?

The usual thing with that is the colour of the frame or other cosmetic details, a retailer "exclusive" model so the retailer doesn't have to price match or possibly an extra feature like an extra HDMI port or the ability to record live TV to a USB drive.

You could probably get a better TV than that now if you can find a runout 2020 model.

MY LG tv...8 years old......is now hardly watchable...about 18 white dots in the background. Looking to get new TV by Spring next year..2022.......so I can start to research, when do you expect reviews to come out ? Going to be steered strongly by this excellent group and will favour the Sony brand....only because in our Winter room our old Sony Bravia has a brilliant picture and has outlasted our very average Samsung and LG tv's.....the Wife reminds me almost every day!

Cheers,

M
All manufacturers make good and bad. If you can afford it the Sony XH9505 may still be available and is a good value right now. The new model is the X95J which starts at 65" instead of 49" so that's worth thinking about if you are buying Sony.

There are also OLEDs where the scheme remains the same A8H is replaced by the A80J, A9G A90J etc.
Not got my bedroom TV yet still looking at the Samsung 43AU9000 waiting for it to drop on way up to Christmas, seen a couple list different part numbers ie 43AU9000 / 43AU9002 / 43AU9007 What does these mean? Were they for different countries or the type of panel fitted ie IPS / VA ?
The trailing digits in model numbers mean next to nothing. It will be something like the type of tuner equipped on the TV, the remote control included or even aesthetics. What matters is the range, in this case: AU. Even the AU7000 is more or less the same as the AU9000.

HI,
what do you say about the:

Hisense 55U8GQ?​

Planned to buy the

U8QF,​

but now the GQ costs 650 vs the 600 of the QF.

What are people's opinions

LG 50NANO866PA - £600 - Richer Sounds

or

Sony 49 Inch KD49XH8505BU - £660 - Argos

This is a TV for my mother, what she currently has is a joke so she has no Netflix etc and it's tiny. I was going to set her up with Netflix and access to my media server using Jellyfin but it seems like LG aren't in any rush to approve the Jellyfin app so that puts me off the LG. I just want Android TV natively on the TV, sure I can buy a Google TV stick but then the price difference between the two TVs disappears.

Any reason not to go for the Sony?

Any reason not to go for the Sony?
Main reason like any TV that doesn't make the high tier mark is HDR. But that may not matter if she doesn't use HDR titles.

Main thing to consider with TVs using VA panels is viewing angles, she must view the TV direct in front, not to the side.

I see the Philips 50PUS8546 is available for £580 from Amazon but it looks like the Sony KD-49XH85 is a better TV?

I see the Philips 50PUS8546 is available for £580 from Amazon but it looks like the Sony KD-49XH85 is a better TV?
Yes, look at the tier differences in the guide. The Sony mid, the Philips low.

Hallo, I would like to buy TV for my parents who mostly watch 1080p content (sometimes also 4K movie I hope).. They sit at 2.5m distance from Tv. What size should I go for, 50 or 55? Also, which should have better upscaling - Samsung 50AU8072UXXH, LG 50UP78003LB or Philips PUS8506..? Or which of those TVs are better buy overall? Or some other upscaling king? I have read that Hisense is not good for upscaling so I am not considering them...
Thanks

Hi, I’m looking to upgrade my 43” Samsung and I’m thinking of looking at a 55” and possibly a 65” . I sit face on to the screen which is roughly just over 2m away. I watch mostly HD. I’ve been very tempted by the LG 65BX as I’ve seen it in stock for £1,300. Any suggestions welcome. Many thanks.

Good choice. How much is CX, C1, B1? Or Philips 705/706/805?

Hallo, I would like to buy TV for my parents who mostly watch 1080p content (sometimes also 4K movie I hope).. They sit at 2.5m distance from Tv. What size should I go for, 50 or 55? Also, which should have better upscaling - Samsung 50AU8072UXXH, LG 50UP78003LB or Philips PUS8506..? Or which of those TVs are better buy overall? Or some other upscaling king? I have read that Hisense is not good for upscaling so I am not considering them...
Thanks
Upscaling - The Philips.
All TVs pretty equal, you can see in this guide (its a year old, but differences are the same) to see what differences remain between Samsung, LG and Philips low tier models.
Also beware of HDR, which is next to unusable on low tier TVs, will give your parents picture quality problems with 4k streams/movies.
Hi, I’m looking to upgrade my 43” Samsung and I’m thinking of looking at a 55” and possibly a 65” . I sit face on to the screen which is roughly just over 2m away. I watch mostly HD. I’ve been very tempted by the LG 65BX as I’ve seen it in stock for £1,300. Any suggestions welcome. Many thanks.
This guide is out of date now, but sometimes deals on older models in clearance can be better than newer. Depends entirely on the TV. The BX price you haven't isn't fantastic but it isn't too bad either. You could perhaps look at the Philips OLED706 instead for similar kind of money at the moment. Or even the newer LG B1.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom