Requesting some advice please! I'm creating a new multi purpose room in the loft - will watch a bit of everything - sports, youtube, netflix movies etc. It's quite a big room and my viewing distance will be 4.5m. I'd originally considered a projector with a 100" screen but don't like the idea of darkening my room. - I prefer to watch with the windows open/ in daylight... I was thinking I would go for a 75" TV. Is that size ok for the distance?

Budget is not unlimited so I was considering:
a) Sony 75XH9005 - at Costco for £1200
b) Samsung QE75Q80TATXXU refurb grade a for £1400
c) Waiting for November-ish for prices to fall (do they fall for larger size TVs?)

Any recommendations?

Requesting some advice please! I'm creating a new multi purpose room in the loft - will watch a bit of everything - sports, youtube, netflix movies etc. It's quite a big room and my viewing distance will be 4.5m. I'd originally considered a projector with a 100" screen but don't like the idea of darkening my room. - I prefer to watch with the windows open/ in daylight... I was thinking I would go for a 75" TV. Is that size ok for the distance?

Budget is not unlimited so I was considering:
a) Sony 75XH9005 - at Costco for £1200
b) Samsung QE75Q80TATXXU refurb grade a for £1400
c) Waiting for November-ish for prices to fall (do they fall for larger size TVs?)

Any recommendations?
Is size okay in what respect? It will be fine for an all purpose TV, because the viewing distance is so far even poorer quality material will still be displayed ok.

If however you're looking to benefit from newer, higher quality material looking noticeable better than the poorer stuff, then you'll see less of a difference, especially with the Sony XH9005 which really doesn't make the mark with HDR.

See: TV Viewing Distance Guide

Chart puts you at just about the distance needed to benefit from 1080p on a 75".

I'd definitely go for the Samsung from your list, since its a higher tier TV whilst the Sony is not...it can get to almost 1000 nits peak which should give you more pop (and less trouble) when using HDR. With Sony look at the XH9505.

Is size okay in what respect? It will be fine for an all purpose TV, because the viewing distance is so far even poorer quality material will still be displayed ok.

If however you're looking to benefit from newer, higher quality material looking noticeable better than the poorer stuff, then you'll see less of a difference, especially with the Sony XH9005 which really doesn't make the mark with HDR.

See: TV Viewing Distance Guide

Chart puts you at just about the distance needed to benefit from 1080p on a 75".

I'd definitely go for the Samsung from your list, since its a higher tier TV whilst the Sony is not...it can get to almost 1000 nits peak which should give you more pop (and less trouble) when using HDR. With Sony look at the XH9505.
Thanks for the advice - will explore the Sony! The chart re distances is very interesting. I wonder if that needs to be updated in light of 4k / 8k resolutions becoming available...

Thanks once again.

I currently have a three year old Samsung QF6 55 and was looking to upgrade it as the picture is nothing special, especially when compared to my LG OLED.

I was looking at the Sony 55XH9505, do you think this would offer a good upgrade in picture, or should I hold out another year?

I would really welcome your thoughts.

Many thanks

I currently have a three year old Samsung QF6 55 and was looking to upgrade it as the picture is nothing special, especially when compared to my LG OLED.

I was looking at the Sony 55XH9505, do you think this would offer a good upgrade in picture, or should I hold out another year?

I would really welcome your thoughts.

Many thanks
Not sure exactly which model you currently have but the Sony should be a lot, lot better than a mid range Samsung sold today, let alone one sold some years ago.

Is the TCL P815 65” any good? It’s on sale for 599€ and I’m looking for a tv in that price range

Is the TCL P815 65” any good? It’s on sale for 599€ and I’m looking for a tv in that price range
Its in this guide in the mid range section. P/C are the same TV.

The p815 shows it has a 60hz screen, isn’t the c a 100hz?
Then it belongs in the low tier section of the guide instead like the P715. Sorry, thought it was exactly the same. 65 & 75 C815 are using 120hz.

Not sure exactly which model you currently have but the Sony should be a lot, lot better than a mid range Samsung sold today, let alone one sold some years ago.
Thanks for that, I noticed it has a hdmi 2.0 slot and not 2.1 so will look for a tv with 2.1 as I hope to get a PS5 at some point. will probably wait to Black Friday.

Dodge, when can we expect to see some reviews of 2021 models, and I don't necessarily mean the big budget megascreens? I am getting the feeling that many of them are not much of an improvement over past models.

Dodge, when can we expect to see some reviews of 2021 models, and I don't necessarily mean the big budget megascreens? I am getting the feeling that many of them are not much of an improvement over past models.
I usually don't make the guide each year until close to black friday because that tends to be the first time the price of newly released TVs aren't so high. Year to year you're right though, in general the market doesn't move very fast so a low tier TV in the 2021 guide won't be too different to a low tier one back in my 2017 guide. Improvements are made elsewhere and are even less evident one year to the next...things like HDMI connectivity and smart TV.

Hi, looking for a bit of advice on what tv to get (I'm extremely willing to wait until black Friday though, so even if you tip me off on stuff to watch out for). FYI, I'm based in Ireland.

My main use will be for gaming on Xbox Series X and PS5, and I'm ok with 60hz. This will be a secondary tv for me to play games on while my partner watches tv in bed (on a Hisense U7QFTUK, recommended to me by Dodgexander, and I can't speak highly enough of it). I also have an LG UK6300PLB in our front room, and I detest it, blacks look navy, and it's extremely dim, so I'm using the Hisense as a barometer for what I like, and the LG as what to avoid. I'll be playing 90% of the time in a dimly lit room (just a small lamp in the corner), and sometimes in the mornings near a window (so while not a deal breaker, good reflection handling would be appreciated). Because of this I'm looking at a VA panel, but I'm coming from a an extremely cheap 1080p 32 inch Hitachi IPS from almost 10 years ago), so a really good looking IPS won't be ruled out, as it's still going to be an upgrade.

Ideally I'd really like a 43 inch tv or PC monitor. I could maybe fit a 50 inch, but it would be a REALLY tight fit where it is, and my partner really wants 43 inch max tbh. This is supposed to be in a small corner of the bedroom as a personal set up, l'd be sitting between 4-5 feet away. I liked the look of the 43 inch Samsung Q60T, but the lack of Dolby Vision for the Series X has been putting me off. Would Dolby Vision on its own be enough of a reason to slightly annoy my partner and push for another 50 inch Hisense U7QFTUK?

My absolute max budget is €700, and even then, I'm really stretched doing this. Sorry for rambling, and again, thanks to Dodgexander, who has been doing amazing work on these forums for a long while now.

Hi Dodgexander,
I’m going to apologise for the same ‘ which tv’ question you’ve had all this time but I could do with some help!

If you were looking at 80inch plus TVs today, in a bright-at daytimes, but certainly not blackout room at evenings ( shutters often used) and we watch SKY sports ( need good motion hadlingNetflix/Disney+/Prime and play PS5 a little; what TVs would you consider?
I’m wondering between OLED ( Sony vs LG) and the Mini led offerings of Samsung Qn95 vs Hisense or TCL ( if they’re any good).
Are OLEDS bright enough?
What’s best for all round performance?

thanks.

Hi, looking for a bit of advice on what tv to get (I'm extremely willing to wait until black Friday though, so even if you tip me off on stuff to watch out for). FYI, I'm based in Ireland.

My main use will be for gaming on Xbox Series X and PS5, and I'm ok with 60hz. This will be a secondary tv for me to play games on while my partner watches tv in bed (on a Hisense U7QFTUK, recommended to me by Dodgexander, and I can't speak highly enough of it). I also have an LG UK6300PLB in our front room, and I detest it, blacks look navy, and it's extremely dim, so I'm using the Hisense as a barometer for what I like, and the LG as what to avoid. I'll be playing 90% of the time in a dimly lit room (just a small lamp in the corner), and sometimes in the mornings near a window (so while not a deal breaker, good reflection handling would be appreciated). Because of this I'm looking at a VA panel, but I'm coming from a an extremely cheap 1080p 32 inch Hitachi IPS from almost 10 years ago), so a really good looking IPS won't be ruled out, as it's still going to be an upgrade.

Ideally I'd really like a 43 inch tv or PC monitor. I could maybe fit a 50 inch, but it would be a REALLY tight fit where it is, and my partner really wants 43 inch max tbh. This is supposed to be in a small corner of the bedroom as a personal set up, l'd be sitting between 4-5 feet away. I liked the look of the 43 inch Samsung Q60T, but the lack of Dolby Vision for the Series X has been putting me off. Would Dolby Vision on its own be enough of a reason to slightly annoy my partner and push for another 50 inch Hisense U7QFTUK?

My absolute max budget is €700, and even then, I'm really stretched doing this. Sorry for rambling, and again, thanks to Dodgexander, who has been doing amazing work on these forums for a long while now.
Hey, provided you treat the TV only as SDR then one of the 43" TVs using VA panels will be fine such as the Hisense TVs in this guide (or, providing they don't turn out to be downgrades, the new versions A7G/A6G). Where they fall short compared to TVs like the U7Q is with brightness, which is mainly only a problem for HDR.

If you're after something that gets a bit brighter that's also smaller you may want to pay extra for something like the Samsung Q60A/Q60T..I don't personally think they are worth spending extra on, but if you have a specific need for something brighter at 43" and without loosing blacks this is the only option. They can get about 70% as bright as the U7Q, rather than the usual 50%.
Hi Dodgexander,
I’m going to apologise for the same ‘ which tv’ question you’ve had all this time but I could do with some help!

If you were looking at 80inch plus TVs today, in a bright-at daytimes, but certainly not blackout room at evenings ( shutters often used) and we watch SKY sports ( need good motion hadlingNetflix/Disney+/Prime and play PS5 a little; what TVs would you consider?
I’m wondering between OLED ( Sony vs LG) and the Mini led offerings of Samsung Qn95 vs Hisense or TCL ( if they’re any good).
Are OLEDS bright enough?
What’s best for all round performance?

thanks.
The TVs in the guide should still be good and will be priced good this time of year if you can still find one, for example the Sony 85XH9505. If you want HDMI 2.1 Samsung have models too. Sony tend to be favored for motion, but Samsung will be better for handling glare. Glare shouldn't be a problem anyway for these TVs (even OLEDs) as they get more than bright enough for most rooms.
On the OLED front there are 77" models like the LG CX. The 80"+ OLEDs are insanely priced.

Will know more about the new offerings from TCL in time, Hisense don't have any 80"+ models planned in Europe.

I wouldn't worry so much about miniLED. TVs like the Samsung QN95 use the tech, but that's not what makes them good, its a relatively sideways move with LCD tech rather than a breakthrough.

I know you advise Black Friday ( and that’s fine as I’m in no hurry) but will A90J vs LG at 80plus inches be ok for low hours gamers like our family? We are more into watching TV but my kids can leave the tv on still at times. Not for hours but I don’t trust them! Also, the Qn95a seems to have a number of hdmi issues, does it still stay in your recommended guide? I notice Samsung have cash back at present but I guess BF will still be better value?

I know you advise Black Friday ( and that’s fine as I’m in no hurry) but will A90J vs LG at 80plus inches be ok for low hours gamers like our family? We are more into watching TV but my kids can leave the tv on still at times. Not for hours but I don’t trust them! Also, the Qn95a seems to have a number of hdmi issues, does it still stay in your recommended guide? I notice Samsung have cash back at present but I guess BF will still be better value?
I haven't read into the issues yet, but my guide on the new models won't be out until later this year. That's one of the reasons its a bad idea buying early, since many issues tend to be ironed out later on...and if they aren't, you know that they can't be fixed.

There are still lots of HDMI issues related to version 2.1, some are due to the chips used in the TV and restrictions that are with every TV that shares those same chips. Really every TV is going to have some issues, so you have to know specifically which ones are going to impact you before buying. It was the same problem when HDMI 2.0 came out, we see almost an exact repeat of problems now.

Sometimes you just can't tell because its often the case that you need to share the same exact hardware someone else has to exhibit the same problem they do.

With the risk of burn in, if you go for a TV using the new EVO panel like the A90J then they are more durable, however I still would be wary with kids. Its fine if they leave the TV on idling, since screensaver will kick in...but it can still be dangerous if they are looping youtube video's over if the videos have the same graphics...or brightly coloured logos. It can also be dangerous if they spend a lot of time in the menu of apps, since the menus tend to have graphics which are more likely to burn in.

Probably sensible if you do go with an OLED to buy from John Lewis together with the extra insurance, and also to set a conservative sleep timer so the TV goes into standby if it has no input for some time.

Once you get into larger screen sizes I'm not sure there's a big difference between release pricing and sale pricing like there is with more common sizes. They won't sell a lot of large TVs like this in the UK, so you may find prices budge less than other TVs. On the other hand I've seen some really good deals on previous year stock, they come and go fast of course. To use a recent example, the Sony 85XH9505 was £2500 before it sold out, whilst the 85QN95A is £4000 post cashback. The QN95A is the better TV, but its not that much better.

I haven't read into the issues yet, but my guide on the new models won't be out until later this year. That's one of the reasons its a bad idea buying early, since many issues tend to be ironed out later on...and if they aren't, you know that they can't be fixed.

There are still lots of HDMI issues related to version 2.1, some are due to the chips used in the TV and restrictions that are with every TV that shares those same chips. Really every TV is going to have some issues, so you have to know specifically which ones are going to impact you before buying. It was the same problem when HDMI 2.0 came out, we see almost an exact repeat of problems now.

Sometimes you just can't tell because its often the case that you need to share the same exact hardware someone else has to exhibit the same problem they do.

With the risk of burn in, if you go for a TV using the new EVO panel like the A90J then they are more durable, however I still would be wary with kids. Its fine if they leave the TV on idling, since screensaver will kick in...but it can still be dangerous if they are looping youtube video's over if the videos have the same graphics...or brightly coloured logos. It can also be dangerous if they spend a lot of time in the menu of apps, since the menus tend to have graphics which are more likely to burn in.

Probably sensible if you do go with an OLED to buy from John Lewis together with the extra insurance, and also to set a conservative sleep timer so the TV goes into standby if it has no input for some time.

Once you get into larger screen sizes I'm not sure there's a big difference between release pricing and sale pricing like there is with more common sizes. They won't sell a lot of large TVs like this in the UK, so you may find prices budge less than other TVs. On the other hand I've seen some really good deals on previous year stock, they come and go fast of course. To use a recent example, the Sony 85XH9505 was £2500 before it sold out, whilst the 85QN95A is £4000 post cashback. The QN95A is the better TV, but its not that much better.
Thanks for the detailed answer, I am looking at the Samsung but then the question arises as to MINI LED vs OLED? And is LG G1 or A90J the better oled?

Thanks for the detailed answer, I am looking at the Samsung but then the question arises as to MINI LED vs OLED? And is LG G1 or A90J the better oled?
MiniLED is not a new display technology like OLED. These TVs are still LCD TVs and still share the same drawbacks they have always done.

In the respect of LG vs Sony OLEDs, the A90J will be the better overall TV since it has a cooling backplate, it can get brighter for HDR which can make for better HDR picture quality.

MiniLED is not a new display technology like OLED. These TVs are still LCD TVs and still share the same drawbacks they have always done.

In the respect of LG vs Sony OLEDs, the A90J will be the better overall TV since it has a cooling backplate, it can get brighter for HDR which can make for better HDR picture quality.
Thanks. We only have a PS5 and don’t use a soundbar any longer (I have the tv audio into a DAC and then into front hifi speakers). Are 2 HDMI’s sufficient? What if we buy another console? I can’t help but think Sony have shortchanged customers on the hdmi. What do you think? Thanks

Thanks. We only have a PS5 and don’t use a soundbar any longer (I have the tv audio into a DAC and then into front hifi speakers). Are 2 HDMI’s sufficient? What if we buy another console? I can’t help but think Sony have shortchanged customers on the hdmi. What do you think? Thanks
Pretty normal when a new HDMI revision comes out that TVs only have 2, sometimes even 1 of the new ports. We saw it when HDMI 2.0 was new and are seeing it again now. Its to do with the chipsets the TVs use, and the mediatek one Sony chose has this limitation, whereas the in-house chip LG use, doesn't.

If you game its certainly a tick for LG over Sony, not only because of 4x HDMI 2.1 ports, but also other things that are even more useful for gaming like HGIG support, Dynamic Tone Mapping, game optimizer etc.

Hi @Dodgexander

Looking for some advice for a 65" - low-ish budget of around £600. I already have a 65CX but now we need another TV for the living room as I ended up claiming the CX for my man cave.. Oops!

Ideally I'd like Dolby Vision. Preferably needs to be suitable in a bright room with some possibility of reflections from the window nearby. Wider viewing angles may be of some importance (honestly I'm not sure how narrow a narrow viewing angle is)

The way I see it I'm looking at the following options as these all have Dolby Vision and are all approx £600 -

Hisense 65U7QFTUK
Hisense 65A7GQTUK
Hisense 65A6GTUK
Philips 65PUS7805
TCL 65C815K

Happy to wait until black friday or wait for a deal to pop up on a specific model. Hoping for some advice to steer me in the right direction!

Cheers

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom