tom hanks

Upscaling - The Philips.
All TVs pretty equal, you can see in this guide (its a year old, but differences are the same) to see what differences remain between Samsung, LG and Philips low tier models.
Also beware of HDR, which is next to unusable on low tier TVs, will give your parents picture quality problems with 4k streams/movies.

This guide is out of date now, but sometimes deals on older models in clearance can be better than newer. Depends entirely on the TV. The BX price you haven't isn't fantastic but it isn't too bad either. You could perhaps look at the Philips OLED706 instead for similar kind of money at the moment. Or even the newer LG B1.
58PUS7805 is good? There is discount offer expiring in 3hours so please fast if you see this xd? I see complains on saphi. If I buy android box then I dont have any downsides from Saphi?

Dodgexander

58PUS7805 is good? There is discount offer expiring in 3hours so please fast if you see this xd? I see complains on saphi. If I buy android box then I dont have any downsides from Saphi?
It's in this guide in the low tier section, so it's a recommended model. Saphi is a basic OS so you can pair it with your own smart TV solution, yes.
Make sure you read the guide because this model is using a VA type panel, and some people prefer IPS.

tom hanks

It's in this guide in the low tier section, so it's a recommended model. Saphi is a basic OS so you can pair it with your own smart TV solution, yes.
Make sure you read the guide because this model is using a VA type panel, and some people prefer IPS.
Thank you for fast answer :).
I know this isnt an android box part of forum, but can I ask, if you put an android box on saphi tv, do you eliminate all downsides of saphi?

tom hanks

Would I with 58PUS7805 get almost the same picture as with philips 70pus8506/12? Also, both have VA panel? Because I saw 70pus8506/12 in store and I liked what I saw..

Dodgexander

Thank you for fast answer :).
I know this isnt an android box part of forum, but can I ask, if you put an android box on saphi tv, do you eliminate all downsides of saphi?
Yes. You replace the built-in apps with a separate device.
Would I with 58PUS7805 get almost the same picture as with philips 70pus8506/12? Also, both have VA panel? Because I saw 70pus8506/12 in store and I liked what I saw..
Very similar, 70" models use VA panel from Sharp instead of Innolux. There may be differences with response times, black levels and viewing angles but I'm not sure what they would be.

smind74

Hi there. I was last excited by a TV purchase when i got my Panasonic 42PHD7 back in 2004/5.

Now I would like to get a 75 inch 4K LED for between £1000 and £2000.

Jut not sure if I go Hisense at the low end or a Sony / Panasonic at the higher end as I’ve lost touch with all the proc/cons of various makes.

Will have a amp and speaker set-up so mainly picture quality I’m concerned with and it’ll mainly be SKY Q HD and UHD and Netflix 4K etc.

most concerned with best processing and NO JUDDER on Apple TV 4K etc

Dodgexander

Hi there. I was last excited by a TV purchase when i got my Panasonic 42PHD7 back in 2004/5.

Now I would like to get a 75 inch 4K LED for between £1000 and £2000.

Jut not sure if I go Hisense at the low end or a Sony / Panasonic at the higher end as I’ve lost touch with all the proc/cons of various makes.

Will have a amp and speaker set-up so mainly picture quality I’m concerned with and it’ll mainly be SKY Q HD and UHD and Netflix 4K etc.

most concerned with best processing and NO JUDDER on Apple TV 4K etc
You'll find it hard to buy a TV today with judder at that price point, provided you set your Apple TV to send the correct frame rate to the TV you buy.

Stutter however can be a problem with modern TVs, due to such fast response times and brighter TVs in general now, stutter in slow pans is present even on the very best of models. Luckily you can clear it up using some motion interpolation on the TV you buy.

This guide is a year old now, but the TVs you will be looking at will be new versions of last year's Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q90T/Q95T. That is, unless you can find a deal still on last year's stock.

New versions of these TVs are the Sony X95J and Samsung QN9xA models. Panel info on the Samsung ones here:

Panasonic focus on OLEDs now, they don't make higher end LCD TVs.
The Hisense U8Q in this guide is a better TV than the 2021 U8GQ (European model) and these max out at 65".

QLED, LED, QNED, MinLED are all terms used to describe how an LCD TV is lit from behind, they are all LCD TVs.

OLED is however a new display technology, but prices at 77" are extortionate compared to 75" LCD TVs, and out of budget.

tom hanks

Yes. You replace the built-in apps with a separate device.

Very similar, 70" models use VA panel from Sharp instead of Innolux. There may be differences with response times, black levels and viewing angles but I'm not sure what they would be.
I have read your guide and ordered TV with your help. And I am a difficult guy to decide what to buy xd. Many thanks sir :)

bydandie

OK, I'll go for the Sony, they also have the 49XH9505, I have the 75" of that TV and I love it but I can't justify the extra cost (£850).
The Sony is a solid performer, good viewing angles for a VA and good enough with HDR.

Also has a very good SoC (same as 9505) so the UI is snappy.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom