My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

Advice needed to make a balanced decision!

After doing some online research in the Netherlands on TV's, I came across this fantastic and extensive forum. And this thread is really useful and complimentary to the information I already found. To be short, my query is the following.
I'm looking for a replacement for my 32" LG Plasma of 8 years old, as we moved to a place with a more spacious living room. Based on my research, I narrowed my search down to 2 TV's: the LG 55B9 and the Samsung 55Q80R. Both sets have excellent reviews, both in the Netherlands and the UK, which makes it hard for me to make a choice. Use will be mainly all-round: regular TV (shows, news, documentaries and football (when this virus is gone...)) as well as movies (so we can fully enjoy our Netflix subscription). We are not into gaming. So I'm not looking for a high-end TV but a robust device of excellent quality to enjoy watching TV for the coming years.
Our room is quite light - but no direct sunlight on the TV. At night/in wintertime, the room will be moderately lit (either ceiling lamp or side lamp).
Prices of the B9 have gone down recently, so price difference with the Q80 is now less than EUR 100. Given my excellent experience with the LG Plasma, I have a slight preference for the B9.

Welcome to convince me!

Advice needed to make a balanced decision!

After doing some online research in the Netherlands on TV's, I came across this fantastic and extensive forum. And this thread is really useful and complimentary to the information I already found. To be short, my query is the following.
I'm looking for a replacement for my 32" LG Plasma of 8 years old, as we moved to a place with a more spacious living room. Based on my research, I narrowed my search down to 2 TV's: the LG 55B9 and the Samsung 55Q80R. Both sets have excellent reviews, both in the Netherlands and the UK, which makes it hard for me to make a choice. Use will be mainly all-round: regular TV (shows, news, documentaries and football (when this virus is gone...)) as well as movies (so we can fully enjoy our Netflix subscription). We are not into gaming. So I'm not looking for a high-end TV but a robust device of excellent quality to enjoy watching TV for the coming years.
Our room is quite light - but no direct sunlight on the TV. At night/in wintertime, the room will be moderately lit (either ceiling lamp or side lamp).
Prices of the B9 have gone down recently, so price difference with the Q80 is now less than EUR 100. Given my excellent experience with the LG Plasma, I have a slight preference for the B9.

Welcome to convince me!
If you look at the guide you'll see one TV sits in the upper mid range, whilst the other high range, and that is for good reason. The B9 is more comparable to the Q85R or Q90R than the Q80R. So I'd definitely consider that in your situation. Especially so since there is such a small difference in price.

If you were to think of an alternative with more of an emphasis on sport I'd suggest you look at the Sony AG8 OLED, Philips 7 or 8 series OLED, or if you want a TV that shines more during the day, than at night; the Sony XG9505 LCD TV. Model numbers may be a bit different from the UK in Nederland though.

If you look at the guide you'll see one TV sits in the upper mid range, whilst the other high range, and that is for good reason. The B9 is more comparable to the Q85R or Q90R than the Q80R. So I'd definitely consider that in your situation. Especially so since there is such a small difference in price.

If you were to think of an alternative with more of an emphasis on sport I'd suggest you look at the Sony AG8 OLED, Philips 7 or 8 series OLED, or if you want a TV that shines more during the day, than at night; the Sony XG9505 LCD TV. Model numbers may be a bit different from the UK in Nederland though.
Thanks very much for the quick response, much appreciated. I checked on the XG9505 as well, but from the reviews I read, the TV is not always faultless ('stuttering') and reviewers also reported some issues with the Android system. That's the reason it fell off my shortlist. The other Sony, the AG8, is more expensive, and beyond the budget I set.

Good evening all,

Had a good read at the start of these pages, so much info to get my head around......

Just a normal question id like answered and advice please.......
i have an Old Samsung 50" plasma which is 720p, around 10 years old now, im turning 50 and wanting to treat myself to a new Tv.

I sit 3.8 metres from the tv and directly in front, no side viewing because the shape of the room, My budget is £1000 max, however, if i can go cheaper then that leaves money for a UHD bluray player.
Size im looking for is 65" and i will probably buy from RS local to me.

Currently im using Yamaha rx-v2065 with monitor audio radius speakers in a 5.1 config, the bluray player is Cambridge audio BD650, eventually the amp will be upgraded for a 4kpassthrough but at the moment id like recommendations on the Tv side of things.

Many thanks
Darrell

Good evening all,

Had a good read at the start of these pages, so much info to get my head around......

i have an Old Samsung 50" plasma which is 720p, around 10 years old now, im turning 50 and wanting to treat myself to a new Tv.

I sit 3.8 metres from the tv and directly in front, no side viewing because the shape of the room, My budget is £1000 max, however, if i can go cheaper then that leaves money for a UHD bluray player.

Currently im using Yamaha rx-v2065 with monitor audio radius speakers in a 5.1 config, the bluray player is Cambridge audio BD650, eventually the amp will be upgraded for a 4kpassthrough but at the moment id like recommendations on the Tv side of things.

Many thanks
Darrell
One of the TVs in the upper mid range section has recently been reduced to your price range. The Sony 65XF9005. If you want to buy now, try to snap one up before its replaced by the more expensive XH9005.

One of the TVs in the upper mid range section has recently been reduced to your price range. The Sony 65XF9005. If you want to buy now, try to snap one up before its replaced by the more expensive XH9005.
Many thanks for the reply, if I wanted to to save a couple of hundred pounds to fund the UHD Blu-ray player such as the Sony as it has 2 hdmi out, one for picture and the other for audio which will work with my av amp, what other tv’s would you recommend?? Tv will be used for virgin media SD and HD, Blu-ray, Netflix ( will upgrade to 4K streaming)

once again thanks for the input you gave!
Regards

Hi, I'm kind of torn on a TV upgrade in the bedroom and hopeful a few 'concerns' I have can be cleared up. Firstly I love good black levels, I have a 55E7 in the front room which is largely used for TV and gaming.

In the bedroom I have an old 42" panny plasma, which has been great - but I'm looking for a TV that will allow me to kick the kids off the main TV and I won't have cries of 'but 4K/HDR' etc lol. I also want to have a half decent PQ as I might like the odd game and rather than kicking the other half out (shes not a gamer) I can just go upstairs and be fairly happy with the PQ.

I don't really want to spend a load (£500 tops but really would rather stick to £350 budget) and black levels are fairly important to me (I don't want grey blacks) - also I don't know what size I will get, I would have liked 45" so it's bigger than the old TV but not too big compared...I need to speak to my other half around the size but I'm assuming it will be a 43" TV I'm looking at.

So the TVs I've been looking at are the Hisense 7500 which is only £285/£335 which seems a steal - I read a review on the 55" version and they were not overly happy with the black levels...I'm mindful that this will be used for watching TV at night time and I'd really like a half decent performance. I also looked into the Philips as the Ambilight might be nice for taking the edge off stuff late at night. I notice the 7555 (not sure when it'll be out) is £400 so I could swing that without any issues from above ;)

Anyway, the only other alternative is spending what I don't think would be acceptable for the use it'll get (OLED/QLED) but I'm open to suggestions, especially if there's something 0% because that always makes it nice :)

But yes, long and the short - a fairly cheap 4K/HDR 43" TV with half-decent black levels which I will use for gaming...any advice/options greatly appreciated.

Hi, I'm kind of torn on a TV upgrade in the bedroom and hopeful a few 'concerns' I have can be cleared up. Firstly I love good black levels, I have a 55E7 in the front room which is largely used for TV and gaming.

In the bedroom I have an old 42" panny plasma, which has been great - but I'm looking for a TV that will allow me to kick the kids off the main TV and I won't have cries of 'but 4K/HDR' etc lol. I also want to have a half decent PQ as I might like the odd game and rather than kicking the other half out (shes not a gamer) I can just go upstairs and be fairly happy with the PQ.

I don't really want to spend a load (£500 tops but really would rather stick to £350 budget) and black levels are fairly important to me (I don't want grey blacks) - also I don't know what size I will get, I would have liked 45" so it's bigger than the old TV but not too big compared...I need to speak to my other half around the size but I'm assuming it will be a 43" TV I'm looking at.

So the TVs I've been looking at are the Hisense 7500 which is only £285/£335 which seems a steal - I read a review on the 55" version and they were not overly happy with the black levels...I'm mindful that this will be used for watching TV at night time and I'd really like a half decent performance. I also looked into the Philips as the Ambilight might be nice for taking the edge off stuff late at night. I notice the 7555 (not sure when it'll be out) is £400 so I could swing that without any issues from above ;)

Anyway, the only other alternative is spending what I don't think would be acceptable for the use it'll get (OLED/QLED) but I'm open to suggestions, especially if there's something 0% because that always makes it nice :)

But yes, long and the short - a fairly cheap 4K/HDR 43" TV with half-decent black levels which I will use for gaming...any advice/options greatly appreciated.
I think you have to be realistic. You may find a TV that is fine for SDR material at this size, but not HDR. Part of why I made this guide originally is because every TV and their dog has HDR box, but very few can actually do it problem free.

In your shoes I'd consider a 49" refurb Sony XG9005 if you can fit it:

If you want to treat the TV as an SDR only TV, then that is when you can consider low range models, and as you'll notice in the guide, there are no mid or high range TVs at smaller sizes.

I think you have to be realistic. You may find a TV that is fine for SDR material at this size, but not HDR. Part of why I made this guide originally is because every TV and their dog has HDR box, but very few can actually do it problem free.

In your shoes I'd consider a 49" refurb Sony XG9005 if you can fit it:

If you want to treat the TV as an SDR only TV, then that is when you can consider low range models, and as you'll notice in the guide, there are no mid or high range TVs at smaller sizes.

Thanks, shame they don't have any...hhmmm...what about 43" or 50" Q60TA? QLED?

Last edited:
Thanks, shame they don't have any...hhmmm...what about 43" or 50" Q60TA? QLED?
Sorry to say it, but not a great TV. You're better off saving money and going for one of the cheaper models in the guide. Remember a QLED is not a new display technology. They are still LCD TVs. They mustn't be compared to OLED.

Higher range TV that come with better specifications so you can use the TV with HDR, have better motion etc start at 49"..and even at that size there's only one or two models.

Sorry to say it, but not a great TV. You're better off saving money and going for one of the cheaper models in the guide. Remember a QLED is not a new display technology. They are still LCD TVs. They mustn't be compared to OLED.

Higher range TV that come with better specifications so you can use the TV with HDR, have better motion etc start at 49"..and even at that size there's only one or two models.

Thanks, buying TVs drives me nuts and consumes my life lol

Most of the TVs I check from the list are hard/impossible to track down...I think the new models are coming out? I found a refurb 43RU7400 for £340 which seems to review ok?

Ergh, I just find myself going round and round in circles into a spiral of dispair! lol

Thanks, buying TVs drives me nuts and consumes my life lol

Most of the TVs I check from the list are hard/impossible to track down...I think the new models are coming out? I found a refurb 43RU7400 for £340 which seems to review ok?

Ergh, I just find myself going round and round in circles into a spiral of dispair! lol
Well that is why I wrote this guide, its a minefield and its hard to know ahead of time which is the best TV.

So the first steps you should take are in the opening post of the guide. First decide which panel type is more suited to you, then base your choice on that. The recommended models in the 43" section are the Hisense B7500 if you like the sound of a VA panel (or even the B7100, B7300, B7120 models, they are all similar) or if you prefer IPS, LGs UM7450 (again anything UM7xxx is similar) or Sony XG80/XG81 series.

If you want the only sub 49" TV that has a 120hz panel, consider the Sony XG83 series instead. It uses an IPS type panel.

But really, anything else is that isn't in the guide is not in the guide for good reason. In the case of the Samsung you found, because we don't know the type of panel it comes with, or in the case of new 2020 models, they are too expensive really to be good buys currently.
What is worse about researching TVs online is also regional differences. The Samsung 43RU7400 gets a good review online because most of the TVs are sold in North America using VA panels. In Europe Samsung ship both IPS and VA type panels on this TV, so you won't know the kind of picture quality until you own the TV.

Its getting to the point of time now where new models are being released, whilst 2019 models are running low on stock. Generally if you miss availability of 2019 models, I'd wait to buy a 2020 model at Black Friday 2020 or later. I'll have a new guide out by then :)

So to summarise, try looking at the opening post of this guide and choose which panel type you like the sound of better. They both have key differences, and once you have decided which suits you most, then you can narrow down your choices to either Hisense or LG/Sony. Do not make the mistake and assume because the TV is from a more well known brand that its a better TV, or that by spending more money at this size, you get a better TV.

If there was a better TV that was worth the extra money, it would be in the guide..but the reality is market is neglected by manufacturers at smaller sizes, where there are only low-range models. So therefore it becomes more sensible to spend less, rather than more.

Well that is why I wrote this guide, its a minefield and its hard to know ahead of time which is the best TV.

So the first steps you should take are in the opening post of the guide. First decide which panel type is more suited to you, then base your choice on that. The recommended models in the 43" section are the Hisense B7500 if you like the sound of a VA panel (or even the B7100, B7300, B7120 models, they are all similar) or if you prefer IPS, LGs UM7450 (again anything UM7xxx is similar) or Sony XG80/XG81 series.

If you want the only sub 49" TV that has a 120hz panel, consider the Sony XG83 series instead. It uses an IPS type panel.

But really, anything else is that isn't in the guide is not in the guide for good reason. In the case of the Samsung you found, because we don't know the type of panel it comes with, or in the case of new 2020 models, they are too expensive really to be good buys currently.
What is worse about researching TVs online is also regional differences. The Samsung 43RU7400 gets a good review online because most of the TVs are sold in North America using VA panels. In Europe Samsung ship both IPS and VA type panels on this TV, so you won't know the kind of picture quality until you own the TV.

Its getting to the point of time now where new models are being released, whilst 2019 models are running low on stock. Generally if you miss availability of 2019 models, I'd wait to buy a 2020 model at Black Friday 2020 or later. I'll have a new guide out by then :)

So to summarise, try looking at the opening post of this guide and choose which panel type you like the sound of better. They both have key differences, and once you have decided which suits you most, then you can narrow down your choices to either Hisense or LG/Sony. Do not make the mistake and assume because the TV is from a more well known brand that its a better TV, or that by spending more money at this size, you get a better TV.

If there was a better TV that was worth the extra money, it would be in the guide..but the reality is market is neglected by manufacturers at smaller sizes, where there are only low-range models. So therefore it becomes more sensible to spend less, rather than more.

Hey, many thanks. I totally get why you wrote the guide (which I have read - I want a VA panel due to the TV being used in bed (low viewing angles are fine) and I like my black levels :)). I wrote a guide myself on how to overclock PCs because it's a minefield and often people who knew what they were talking about would get either bogged down with basic questions or ignore beginners who just wanted a big of decent advise (and we all start somewhere). So I really appreciate your guide and the personal help you've offered :)

The problem with the guide (as with any guide - please do not in any way take this as a complaint!) is that it's information is only good for a window of time, I've looked through it and half the TVs are not available, also, there's silly things with TVs like the Philips 7334 (or whatever it is) - there's no stock - but I found a 7354 - but that was by luck. Then I was concerned what the difference meant, then I found out there's a 04, 34, 54 and 94 models that are all essentially the same panel...but stock is nigh on impossible to find, then I came across the 7555 and I'm curious where that fits in!?

And that' JUST after looking into one specific TV! lol It's impossible for you to write an all encompassing guide with so many models upon models in a field where TVs are replaced ever year...imagine what it's like for people like me who are trying to pin a TV down. When I bought the E7 it was exactly the same but we're talking £2k main TV so I really had to make 100% sure it was the right TV, this is less important, but I do believe in 'buy cheap buy twice' so I'd rather get a TV I'm happy with.

Phew, well...thanks again....I guess as the Samsung is a refurb I could ask if they know what panel it is.

edit - couldn't find it again so guess it's gone lol

Last edited:
Good evening all,

Many thanks
Darrell
Hi all, I have an appointment for Saturday at my local RS dealer in Reading......
They don’t have the Sony xf9005 on display nor any 65” TVs other than OLED or QLED.....they have a few 50” TVs which they said will give the picture quality the same as a 65”.
They were steering towards the Philips 65pus6754. I’ve seen the thread on here......
they have the 50” version on display.....will that give me an idea of what to expect......
Just want to spend hard earned cash on the right tv with hopefully a UHD Blu-ray player so it will integrate as best as possible with my existing non 4K av setup.....

looking for recommendations or advice.....
I’m very grateful for the advice I’ve received but I may not be able to justify that price for just the tv when I need as said above, integrate into existing av amp.
Regards
Darrell

Hey, many thanks. I totally get why you wrote the guide (which I have read - I want a VA panel due to the TV being used in bed (low viewing angles are fine) and I like my black levels :)). I wrote a guide myself on how to overclock PCs because it's a minefield and often people who knew what they were talking about would get either bogged down with basic questions or ignore beginners who just wanted a big of decent advise (and we all start somewhere). So I really appreciate your guide and the personal help you've offered :)

The problem with the guide (as with any guide - please do not in any way take this as a complaint!) is that it's information is only good for a window of time, I've looked through it and half the TVs are not available, also, there's silly things with TVs like the Philips 7334 (or whatever it is) - there's no stock - but I found a 7354 - but that was by luck. Then I was concerned what the difference meant, then I found out there's a 04, 34, 54 and 94 models that are all essentially the same panel...but stock is nigh on impossible to find, then I came across the 7555 and I'm curious where that fits in!?

And that' JUST after looking into one specific TV! lol It's impossible for you to write an all encompassing guide with so many models upon models in a field where TVs are replaced ever year...imagine what it's like for people like me who are trying to pin a TV down. When I bought the E7 it was exactly the same but we're talking £2k main TV so I really had to make 100% sure it was the right TV, this is less important, but I do believe in 'buy cheap buy twice' so I'd rather get a TV I'm happy with.

Phew, well...thanks again....I guess as the Samsung is a refurb I could ask if they know what panel it is.

edit - couldn't find it again so guess it's gone lol
Oh cool! I'll have to check your guide out when I next overclock my PC!
Yes its that time of year now when 2019 models sell out, and 2020 models come in to replace them. The 5 suffix in the Philips model number designates its a 2020 model, whilst 4 to 2019.

They have many stupid model numbers, and when I create this guide each year I have a choice how to display models. I've used both methods in the past, both with their ups and downs.

Sort TVs by range - a method I have used before
List each TV instead by its 'series' rather than model number. This method is good because it classifies all TVs under a specific range the same. In fact, TVs that are sold with similar model numbers are almost always the same. The advantage to this method is people can match a TV they found in the guide more easily. The disadvantage is many people don't understand ranges, and want to search for specific model numbers. The other disadvantage is retail channels, with some TVs sold only by specific retailers compared to others. Some in the case of Philips will come only with a 1 or 2 year warranty compared to 5 years elsewhere.

Sort TVs by specific model numbers - also a method I've used previously...and a mixture in this guide.
List each TV with a specific model number. The advantage is people can search for every model number easily, but the disadvantage is that some variations remain better value than others, or come from retailers who don't offer good warranty/support. Another disadvantage is the guide becomes more complicated and harder to follow with lots of different numbers mentioned for the same TV, some of which are sold at different sizes. This method is very hard to maintain because there are so many stupid model numbers for the same TV, and in different regions there are different model numbers too!

Sort TVs by specific model numbers ignoring small differences
List each TV showing only the relevant characters in its model number scheme. For example with Sony, instead of listing 43XG8196 or 43XG8005 listing TVs as 43XG8xxx series.
Advantages - a lot easier to maintain. Covers all variations of the same TV.
Disadvantages - poor ease of use, its not as easy for people to search for these TVs without knowing the exact numbers. Some variations sold in some places may also be poor value.

What I want to try and do is strike a balance between being easy to follow, without being to complicated and also without missing out information, giving false info, or directing people to buy the wrong model. The balance is hard to make, especially when prices differ a lot and the guide is based on price. This time of year especially there are TVs that I wouldn't even consider putting in the guide that have seen big reductions before they sell out, its near impossible to keep track of every models pricing trends, and exactly when a model is completely sold out, or a model becomes good value one week because of a reduction and the next not.

If you have any suggestions on how I can strike this balance please let me know. I am welcome to all suggestions to improve the guide in the future

As for my recommendation for you, if you want a TV using a VA type panel Hisense models are terrific value for money. Any of the B series models will suit. The B7500 is the usual best value, but there is also a B7100 and B7300 too.
The B7120 is another model with Roku smart TV. If you can't find the others, you could go for this instead.

One of the reasons they are in the guide and not Samsung models is because the panel information is known. We know they always use VA type panels on their TVs.

With Samsung, such as the 43RU series you found, you won't know until you own the TV which kind of panel it comes with. You could buy it and find out it uses an IPS panel when you want a VA type on your TV, only to be disappointed...or vice versa if you look for an IPS panel and end up with a specimen using a VA one.

Of course this guide would be a lot easier if it wasn't so hard to find out panel info. The truth is, with Samsung its impossible. Their own customer service and reps aren't given this info, and if you try enquire, they won't tell you. They are very secretive with panel information, I can only assume because they either aren't given the information within the company to begin with, or for cost cutting, or a mixture of both.

But I tried to mention this in the extra detail/special mention section of the guide. If a TV isn't in the guide its generally because its panel type is unknown, and therefore I can't recommend it...or its just not good value for money.

With the emerging 2020 models, they will be in my new guide which I'll create once they become better value for money. If you can't find a 2019 model in the guide any more, I'd suggest not buying anything right now as the models that sell for similar money will be inferior and represent worse value for money. The first time newer 2020 models become worth purchasing is usually Black Friday 2020 or later.

Hi all, I have an appointment for Saturday at my local RS dealer in Reading......
They don’t have the Sony xf9005 on display nor any 65” TVs other than OLED or QLED.....they have a few 50” TVs which they said will give the picture quality the same as a 65”.
They were steering towards the Philips 65pus6754. I’ve seen the thread on here......
they have the 50” version on display.....will that give me an idea of what to expect......
Just want to spend hard earned cash on the right tv with hopefully a UHD Blu-ray player so it will integrate as best as possible with my existing non 4K av setup.....

looking for recommendations or advice.....
I’m very grateful for the advice I’ve received but I may not be able to justify that price for just the tv when I need as said above, integrate into existing av amp.
Regards
Darrell
For your usage you need to consider models that are a lot higher range than that Philips. In the guide upper mid range or higher.

Demoing a TV in the store is next to useless nowadays, especially when the conditions will be so different and you won't actually get to demo models that are suited to your sources. I'd suggest skipping the demo and purchasing a model in the upper mid range section or higher in the guide.

The Sony XF9005 has recently taken a reduction to sub 1k at 65" and is excellent value for money. Its the cheapest pathway to enjoy UHD Blu-Rays with HDR without picture quality problems.

Yes its that time of year now when 2019 models sell out, and 2020 models come in to replace them. The 5 suffix in the Philips model number designates its a 2020 model, whilst 4 to 2019.

They have many stupid model numbers, and when I create this guide each year I have a choice how to display models. I've used both methods in the past, both with their ups and downs.

List each TV instead by its 'series' rather than model number. This method is good because it classifies all TVs under a specific range the same. In fact, TVs that are sold with similar model numbers are almost always the same. The advantage to this method is people can match a TV they found in the guide more easily. The disadvantage is many people don't understand ranges, and want to search for specific model numbers. The other disadvantage is retail channels, with some TVs sold only by specific retailers compared to others. Some in the case of Philips will come only with a 1 or 2 year warranty compared to 5 years elsewhere.

Sort TVs by specific model numbers - also a method I've used previously...and a mixture in this guide.
List each TV with a specific model number. The advantage is people can search for every model number easily, but the disadvantage is that some variations remain better value than others, or come from retailers who don't offer good warranty/support. Another disadvantage is the guide becomes more complicated and harder to follow with lots of different numbers mentioned for the same TV, some of which are sold at different sizes. This method is very hard to maintain because there are so many stupid model numbers for the same TV, and in different regions there are different model numbers too!

List each TV showing only the relevant characters in its model number scheme. For example with Sony, instead of listing 43XG8196 or 43XG8005 listing TVs as 43XG8xxx series.
Disadvantages - poor ease of use, its not as easy for people to search for these TVs without knowing the exact numbers. Some variations sold in some places may also be poor value.

What I want to try and do is strike a balance between being easy to follow, without being to complicated and also without missing out information, giving false info, or directing people to buy the wrong model. The balance is hard to make, especially when prices differ a lot and the guide is based on price. This time of year especially there are TVs that I wouldn't even consider putting in the guide that have seen big reductions before they sell out, its near impossible to keep track of every models pricing trends, and exactly when a model is completely sold out, or a model becomes good value one week because of a reduction and the next not.

If you have any suggestions on how I can strike this balance please let me know. I am welcome to all suggestions to improve the guide in the future

As for my recommendation for you, if you want a TV using a VA type panel Hisense models are terrific value for money. Any of the B series models will suit. The B7500 is the usual best value, but there is also a B7100 and B7300 too.
The B7120 is another model with Roku smart TV. If you can't find the others, you could go for this instead.

One of the reasons they are in the guide and not Samsung models is because the panel information is known. We know they always use VA type panels on their TVs.

With Samsung, such as the 43RU series you found, you won't know until you own the TV which kind of panel it comes with. You could buy it and find out it uses an IPS panel when you want a VA type on your TV, only to be disappointed...or vice versa if you look for an IPS panel and end up with a specimen using a VA one.

Of course this guide would be a lot easier if it wasn't so hard to find out panel info. The truth is, with Samsung its impossible. Their own customer service and reps aren't given this info, and if you try enquire, they won't tell you. They are very secretive with panel information, I can only assume because they either aren't given the information within the company to begin with, or for cost cutting, or a mixture of both.

But I tried to mention this in the extra detail/special mention section of the guide. If a TV isn't in the guide its generally because its panel type is unknown, and therefore I can't recommend it...or its just not good value for money.

With the emerging 2020 models, they will be in my new guide which I'll create once they become better value for money. If you can't find a 2019 model in the guide any more, I'd suggest not buying anything right now as the models that sell for similar money will be inferior and represent worse value for money. The first time newer 2020 models become worth purchasing is usually Black Friday 2020 or later.

lol, you won't want to check my guide - it was written years ago and I now have no idea other than the basics (like heat being the enemy and buying decent components and checking what you buy has the capability to overclock etc). It's a big minefield much like TVs!

I think the guide is a really good starting point, but the problem is that (unlike a PC) TVs are very subjective. I think you've hit the right balance it's just that I'm putting far too much thought into a bedroom TV! What might be nice is a very basic overview of each 'range' and what the pros and cons are. For example, looking for that XG9005 you mentioned I found an XF9005 - also like I mentioned earlier with the Phillips. Maybe a solution might be say 'Philips PUS73X4 range' where I will 'know' that provided it's in that range there's no panel differences, but to be honest how far down the rabbit hole do you go?

Anyway, I'm bowing out - thanks again for your help...seems the Hisense will probably suffice, at least it's really cheap so if I decide to upgrade it's not a major loss rather than getting a £500 TV I'm not happy with.

What might be nice is a very basic overview of each 'range' and what the pros and cons are. For example, looking for that XG9005 you mentioned I found an XF9005 - also like I mentioned earlier with the Phillips. Maybe a solution might be say 'Philips PUS73X4 range' where I will 'know' that provided it's in that range there's no panel differences, but to be honest how far down the rabbit hole do you go?
In 2020 it seems at least 8 series Philips models will be using VA type, not sure about other sizes still. Usually each TV is sold in a series or range. In the case of the PUS73x4 that would just be 'series 7' but somehow in Europe people don't understand series so much.

In the USA every TV is sold as a series, so people already understand there's no differences between them.

But the problem in Europe is manufacturers like Philips have stupid model numbers, sometimes for TVs sold in the same series. They also mess about with panels a lot meaning a certain TV within a series could have a completely different panel to another if its sold at a different size especially.

The solution I guess would be to separate models into series, but mention specific details about panel sizes.

Hello!

Time for my first post here. It's time for me to buy my very first smart tv, today i got an old panasonic plamsa who decided to quit on me and was to be honest pretty awful.

I've been reading reviews and watched youtube and tried to figured out what tv to go for and then I found this forum. I want a 65" screen and my budget is around 950€.

I will use the tv for watching sports, much tv shows and a little bit of ps4. My room is pretty bright so the tv needs to be able to handle that.

Right now in Sweden there are special offer for 2 tv's iv'e been looking at,

LG 65" SM8500 = 839 €

Phillips 65" PUS 8204 = 763 €

Will any of these tv be good enough you think? Or should I wait until i get afford a even better model?

Best Regards

Will any of these tv be good enough you think? Or should I wait until i get afford a even better model?
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear your Panasonic Plasma died. They are very good TVs, and in some cases still best budget UHD models sold today.

Its becoming increasingly harder to recommend budget TVs as more and more video content moves toward HDR. If you can stretch to it I'd recommend shopping for TVs in the upper mid range or higher section of the guide. So that would be the Sony XF9005 or Samsung Q70R!

The TVs you have picked out really won't be very future proof as they'll have trouble displaying HDR. If however you are confident you can avoid watching HDR material on the TV, or you can't raise your budget then there's nothing really wrong with the LG if you have come to the conclusion of wanting a TV using an IPS panel.

As you can see in the guide the Philips isn't recommended and that is because we don't know which panel type it uses. It is also closer overall in spec to the cheaper LG UM series than SM. If you want to spend less, I'd consider shopping for models that are listed in the guide.

In 2020 it seems at least 8 series Philips models will be using VA type, not sure about other sizes still. Usually each TV is sold in a series or range. In the case of the PUS73x4 that would just be 'series 7' but somehow in Europe people don't understand series so much.

In the USA every TV is sold as a series, so people already understand there's no differences between them.

But the problem in Europe is manufacturers like Philips have stupid model numbers, sometimes for TVs sold in the same series. They also mess about with panels a lot meaning a certain TV within a series could have a completely different panel to another if its sold at a different size especially.

The solution I guess would be to separate models into series, but mention specific details about panel sizes.

Yes, well the problem I found was I'd search for a specific model listed but there was no stock - then fumbling around the net other models came up - I'd try to find a review but couldn't. Sometimes TVs are shop specific too which just adds more confusion!

Anyway, thanks again for your time and effort :)

Thanks for the fantastic information contained in the post.

I'm considering purchasing a new TV, and ideally would like something in the 82-85" range to maximise the space. I appreciate the incremental size over a 75" is likely to be at a high £/", but am willing to take this within reason.

Budget is around £3000, although looking to maximise value so if much the same quality/performance can be had for less this doesn't need to be used. Similarly if meaningful improvement can be had for a few £xxx more, that might be something I would consider.

I've been out of the scene for a while and am struglling to understand what is good and what isn't. I note some of the TV's flagged at the start of the page, e.g. Samsung QE82Q70R and Sony 85XG9505 are no longer stocked. Retailers look to be pushing 2020 models, which i'm guessing is a pretty poor time for value finds?

Any model suggestions would be gratefully received.

John

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear your Panasonic Plasma died. They are very good TVs, and in some cases still best budget UHD models sold today.

Its becoming increasingly harder to recommend budget TVs as more and more video content moves toward HDR. If you can stretch to it I'd recommend shopping for TVs in the upper mid range or higher section of the guide. So that would be the Sony XF9005 or Samsung Q70R!

The TVs you have picked out really won't be very future proof as they'll have trouble displaying HDR. If however you are confident you can avoid watching HDR material on the TV, or you can't raise your budget then there's nothing really wrong with the LG if you have come to the conclusion of wanting a TV using an IPS panel.

As you can see in the guide the Philips isn't recommended and that is because we don't know which panel type it uses. It is also closer overall in spec to the cheaper LG UM series than SM. If you want to spend less, I'd consider shopping for models that are listed in the guide.

Hello and thanks!

It might be the best to wait a little while and see if some of the tv's in the upper mid range will drop a bit in price. The XF9005 Is not available in Sweden anymore but the XG9505 goes for 1230 € And the q70 is at the exact same price.

Do you think it's worth waiting for thece tv's to drop in price for a "regular" tv user? Might be imposible to answer when i think about it. I havn't seen Hisense around here yet unfortunately.

IPS is not a must i just thougt it looked alright for the price, my viewing angels aint more than 20-30 ° . Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for the fantastic information contained in the post.

I'm considering purchasing a new TV, and ideally would like something in the 82-85" range to maximise the space. I appreciate the incremental size over a 75" is likely to be at a high £/", but am willing to take this within reason.

Budget is around £3000, although looking to maximise value so if much the same quality/performance can be had for less this doesn't need to be used. Similarly if meaningful improvement can be had for a few £xxx more, that might be something I would consider.

I've been out of the scene for a while and am struglling to understand what is good and what isn't. I note some of the TV's flagged at the start of the page, e.g. Samsung QE82Q70R and Sony 85XG9505 are no longer stocked. Retailers look to be pushing 2020 models, which i'm guessing is a pretty poor time for value finds?

Any model suggestions would be gratefully received.

John
Thanks, I'm glad you like the guide!

If a TV in the guide isn't in stock any more the chances are there's no good alternative. That is because the new 2020 models that replace the 2019 ones in this guide are currently overpriced having just been released. I'd suggest purchasing at a later date when these models are lower in price, rather than paying over the odds, and/or settling for a lesser model now.

In the next guide I make with 2020 models there will be some good suggestions for you. Some are shaping up like they will be good value when their prices drop, but I can't recommend any until the prices are more reasonable. My guide each year usually comes out just before we see the first major discounts to TVs, and that will be Black Friday 2020 or later.
Hello and thanks!

It might be the best to wait a little while and see if some of the tv's in the upper mid range will drop a bit in price. The XF9005 Is not available in Sweden anymore but the XG9505 goes for 1230 € And the q70 is at the exact same price.

Do you think it's worth waiting for thece tv's to drop in price for a "regular" tv user? Might be imposible to answer when i think about it. I havn't seen Hisense around here yet unfortunately.

IPS is not a must i just thougt it looked alright for the price, my viewing angels aint more than 20-30 ° . Thanks for all the help!
Its hard to predict country to country as currency fluctuations also can have an impact. Translating Euro in to Pounds the price for the XG9505 especially is already very good. But on the other hand I have seen people from other European countries pick up TVs at prices better than that. The XH9505 is set to replace the XG9505 so if you already see those in shops the older model should see a discount soon if it hasn't done already. Maybe the Q70R is more likely to drop in price since really its the Q80R that is closer in spec to the XG9505.

If you can find some way of tracking prices with price comparison website it may be easier to see pricing trends locally.

If viewing angles are not important then there's no disadvantage to the Q70R or the XG9505 which both use VA type panels.

For your usage you need to consider models that are a lot higher range than that Philips. In the guide upper mid range or higher.

Demoing a TV in the store is next to useless nowadays, especially when the conditions will be so different and you won't actually get to demo models that are suited to your sources. I'd suggest skipping the demo and purchasing a model in the upper mid range section or higher in the guide.

The Sony XF9005 has recently taken a reduction to sub 1k at 65" and is excellent value for money. Its the cheapest pathway to enjoy UHD Blu-Rays with HDR without picture quality problems.
Good evening,

so I did pop to my local RS today, however they don’t have stock of the Sony xf9005, so while I was in there I asked what they thought had the same performance, so the chappy said to me.....the Sony is edge lit whereas the LG 65SK8500PLAhas a series of lcd lights behind the screen So stops the lightblur atound the edges, he called it something or other, it’s £1049 and 2019 model, they will drop it to the price of the Sony xf9005......has anyone had the chance to review or know of this LG??
If not then il look elsewhere to get the Sony....

many thanks
Darrell

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom