My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

I would try not to second guess your decision: see how the XH9505 is when you get it and then if you are impressed, keep it: if not, change.

I spent months trying to get the best, second guess and the like: but at the end of the day there isn’t a perfect TV - if you get a fab one that works for you, with a good warranty = good result.

do you think i made the right choice getting KD65XH9505BU over the OLED65BX6LB

i got the KD65XH9505BU for £1299
I don't know, I think you'd be happy with both. You got a good price and deal for this time of year on the Sony so be happy about that!

I don't know, I think you'd be happy with both. You got a good price and deal for this time of year on the Sony so be happy about that!
Is the Sony KD65xh9505BU better than the Hisense 65U8Q? I realise it more expensive but is it better?

Is the Sony KD65xh9505BU better than the Hisense 65U8Q? I realise it more expensive but is it better?
As an all-round TV yes, but it also has its downsides. No HDR10+ support and doesn't quite get as bright. Also has worse built in sound.

Upsides are it has better picture processing so upscaling and motion will be better, and its more accurate out of the box.

Given the reported problems with the U8Q most people would choose to pay the extra for the Sony if they have the money, but TV pricing fluctuates, the difference today could be different tomorrow.

As an all-round TV yes, but it also has its downsides. No HDR10+ support and doesn't quite get as bright. Also has worse built in sound.

Upsides are it has better picture processing so upscaling and motion will be better, and its more accurate out of the box.

Given the reported problems with the U8Q most people would choose to pay the extra for the Sony if they have the money, but TV pricing fluctuates, the difference today could be different tomorrow.
Thanks. Got the U8Q from Costco on Sunday and have 90 days to "try it out" so wondering whether if the Sony comes down in price enough, it's worth returning the Hisense and going for the Sony instead.

It's a cracking TV but I have noticed a few motion issues out of the box. Only had it up a day though and not had time to fully check things.

Thanks. Got the U8Q from Costco on Sunday and have 90 days to "try it out" so wondering whether if the Sony comes down in price enough, it's worth returning the Hisense and going for the Sony instead.

It's a cracking TV but I have noticed a few motion issues out of the box. Only had it up a day though and not had time to fully check things.
Every TV has its issues and the Hisense isn't alone there. You should decide after you've had some time to use the TV.

Shocked that the 49xh9505 is only £50 cheaper than the 55 inch now

come on people. Get that 49 model down in price a little bit more

come on people. Get that 49 model down in price a little bit more
The best price I can see for the 49XH9505 is £849 with the 55XH9505 coming up at £999.

Can’t find one with a differential of £50.

Its typical pricing for smaller TVs. The Sony XF9005 and Samsung Q70R in 2019 sold for less at 55" than they did at 49".

@Dodgexander roughly how long before your new guide is out with many Black Friday deals already out...
I started last years guide around the 18th so I'd expect similar this year. I wouldn't worry too much about the deals already being out. What will matter is what happens on the day, and afterwards. Some deals just won't happen until then, and the real fight comes with being able to price match other stores if the stores themselves don't battle to put the price down.
For now you can see equivalents year to year here: 2019-20/2020-21 range comparison.

Hiya mate,
(I write to you more than I write to anyone else, so to me, your a mate ?!)

Am re thinking my requirements.
Still want a 65" OLED (probably Panasonic) but am now looking into Atmos.
I'd never heard of it, and as you know, I want surround sound anyway.
It looks like i'll be delving into a separate AV receiver for my TV pleasure.

My only foray into surround sound was with my built in Toshiba 37" CRT.
If I get a Dolby Atmos TV - do I still need a receiver/AMP ? Do Atmos TV’s have all this built-in ?

I will be replacing my LG 55OLED 930v shortly, possibly with a Panasonic HZ2000 or similar - with Dolby Atmos.

I see most A/V receivers ‘em have several HDMI sockets: are they for the speakers, or inputs ?

Until recently, I thought the fibre connection was the way to go, but of course, I now know that HDMI is the bee's bendy bits.

I have 4 satellite speakers from my old kit. Will they be ok to start with ? I have to watch the pennies a bit nowadays.

Or, do I need specific atmos speakers ? I know i'll need more, but trying to spread the costs.

What else would I need for Atmos ?

Do I need a different area for this ?
cheers guys

Hiya mate,
(I write to you more than I write to anyone else, so to me, your a mate ?!)

Am re thinking my requirements.
Still want a 65" OLED (probably Panasonic) but am now looking into Atmos.
I'd never heard of it, and as you know, I want surround sound anyway.
It looks like i'll be delving into a separate AV receiver for my TV pleasure.

My only foray into surround sound was with my built in Toshiba 37" CRT.
If I get a Dolby Atmos TV - do I still need a receiver/AMP ? Do Atmos TV’s have all this built-in ?

I will be replacing my LG 55OLED 930v shortly, possibly with a Panasonic HZ2000 or similar - with Dolby Atmos.

I see most A/V receivers ‘em have several HDMI sockets: are they for the speakers, or inputs ?

Until recently, I thought the fibre connection was the way to go, but of course, I now know that HDMI is the bee's bendy bits.

I have 4 satellite speakers from my old kit. Will they be ok to start with ? I have to watch the pennies a bit nowadays.

Or, do I need specific atmos speakers ? I know i'll need more, but trying to spread the costs.

What else would I need for Atmos ?

Do I need a different area for this ?
cheers guys
Haha, yes you can be my mate. Everyone can be my mate!

Gotta be careful with Atmos because it could mean two things with TVs. They could advertise it meaning the TVs own speakers support atmos or they could advertise it meaning the TV is capable of passing atmos sound through its HDMI ports.

With the Panasonic models that come with soundbars like the HZ1500/HZ2000 the soundbar is actually pretty decent, atmos effects will be present, but like most soundbars they will be limited when the speaker itself is only in front of you.

If you are looking for a proper experience, you should probably consider doing what a lot of people do here on the forum and use the TV as a display only, and a separate AV Receiver and speakers for sound duty. That way you can install speakers around the room and get a better surround effect. A basic set up of 5.1 speakers and a AV receiver will best the sound built in to a TV, or from a soundbar. With an AV Receiver you also have the option of installing dedicated speakers for atmos effects either in the ceiling, on the ceiling, or as height speakers high on the wall. The kind of effects you'll get from the atmos sound will be a lot more genuine doing sound this way than if you rely only on the soundbar built in to the TV to create the sound effects.

You can buy an AVR and use existing speakers provided the ohm rating of the speakers is between 4 and 8 and you can build on what you have later. I'd suggest though if you go the dedicated route for sound though you don't buy a TV with good sound built in because its quite a waste of money. Perhaps the Sony A8 or AG9 would be better options in that case compared to the Panasonic models since those models can double up and be used in a 5.1 setup utilising the TVs speakers as the central speaker.

Looking for good value TVs around Black Friday is stressing me out - but can currently get the Hisense U7QF 55 for £478 and wondering if there's anything as good sub-£500?

I've read about the motion issues but it seems no TV is perfect, especially at lower prices.

Gotta be careful with Atmos because it could mean two things with TVs. They could advertise it meaning the TVs own speakers support atmos or they could advertise it meaning the TV is capable of passing atmos sound through its HDMI ports.
NO NO NO soundbars !

Does this mean that the amp is built into the TV & I just need speakers (5.1 / 7.1) etc ?

After looking at reasonable AV's, I came across SONY STR-DN1080 - 7.2ch at £429. I know it's cheap for the affianados, but what do people think for a beginner ? Is there anything cheaper that's as good ? Is it worth throwing a few more quid at it for something ten times better ??
I'm in a rented bungalow, and sit cornerwise to watch TV. I don't think I can cut holes in the ceiling for speakers (or could I [rhet]), and even then they wouldn't be square in the room - and look messy.
I could put them high, or on the ceiling,,,,,,,,,
Would you prefer me to take this to the audio bit to the A/V amp section, to leave you on the TV's ? I rekkon it will take a few more questions on this matter !
Baz

NO NO NO soundbars !

Does this mean that the amp is built into the TV & I just need speakers (5.1 / 7.1) etc ?

After looking at reasonable AV's, I came across SONY STR-DN1080 - 7.2ch at £429. I know it's cheap for the affianados, but what do people think for a beginner ? Is there anything cheaper that's as good ? Is it worth throwing a few more quid at it for something ten times better ??
I'm in a rented bungalow, and sit cornerwise to watch TV. I don't think I can cut holes in the ceiling for speakers (or could I [rhet]), and even then they wouldn't be square in the room - and look messy.
I could put them high, or on the ceiling,,,,,,,,,
Would you prefer me to take this to the audio bit to the A/V amp section, to leave you on the TV's ? I rekkon it will take a few more questions on this matter !
Baz
That AVR is a popular budget choice. You can still use atmos without ceiling speakers, height speakers will get you halfway there, the special bouncy of-the-ceiling speakers can work too, but aren't great. You'd probably get better advice searching the speaker or AVR section for sound specific advice though. You can buy bundles of speakers and AVRs together, maybe there will be some good deals coming up.

Looking for a heads up. Is there anywhere to reliably check if a TV has a VA or IPS panel?

Looking for a heads up. Is there anywhere to reliably check if a TV has a VA or IPS panel?

All the TVs in this guide are categorised by panel types. Those that "LCD TVs with narrow viewing angles, but better contrast, blacks and dark room/scene performance " use VA.

Same as with the new guide: **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

All the TVs in this guide are categorised by panel types. Those that "LCD TVs with narrow viewing angles, but better contrast, blacks and dark room/scene performance " use VA.

Same as with the new guide: **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition
Thanks again, will have a look.

I started last years guide around the 18th so I'd expect similar this year. I wouldn't worry too much about the deals already being out. What will matter is what happens on the day, and afterwards. Some deals just won't happen until then, and the real fight comes with being able to price match other stores if the stores themselves don't battle to put the price down.
For now you can see equivalents year to year here: 2019-20/2020-21 range comparison.
Did you do a guide as can't find it 👍

Hi again,
Has anyone seen the Panasonic 65hz980 TV in Black Friday mode ?

cum to that, also

Denon 2600/2700 ?

It looks like everyone is sticking to the prices on these two things.

(& a reasonable 43" Panny, or might consider LG, for my sick room !?)

Hope you guys having better luck than me.

all the best

Last edited:
Hi again,
Has anyone seen the Panasonic 65hz980 TV in Black Friday mode ?

cum to that, also

Denon 2600/2700 ?

(& a reasonable 43" Panny, or might consider LG, for my sick room !?)

Hope you guys having better luck than me.

all the best
This thread is for last years model, best looking two posts above on detail for this years. The HZ980 is a recommended model in the new guide.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom