My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

hzd57

Novice Member
Thanks for the useful guide mate. I have a couple of questions that I don't think deserve a separate topic so I thought I'd ask here if it's alright?

- Are TCL products any good? Problem is I can't find much info about their global products, like P715 or C715 since they aren't sold in North America.

- Is Samsung TU8000 worth paying extra, when compared to Samsung TU7000? 50" TU7000 is about the same price as 43" TU8000 where I am, and it'd have a better chance of having a VA panel if I understand correctly. 50" TU8000 would make me go a bit out of budget.

Just fyi, if it'd make it easier to help me: I don't watch HDR like at all, and I don't even care for 4K (what I would actually like is a TV w/ good upscaling capability).

Any feedback is much appreciated, thank you all!

MaddyK

Novice Member
Hi. I'm new and utterly confused so hoping for some help!
My 10 plus year old Samsung LE37R88BDX has gone green and crackles like it is about to explode when it turns on so time for a new tv but I'm so out of touch with new technology now I need some help. As tv is on all day every day I thought I might spoil myself and go for a bigger screen and a few bangs and whistles so started looking at QLEDs and OLEDs but now terrified by reports of inability to set up Samsungs for Freeview on newer models and bad service and by reports of screen burn on OLEDs. Also confused that some older models seem to get better reviews than newer ones.
I don't currently have anything at all in the way of a tv package, I just have Freeview built in so in the first instance it is vital any tv I buy can tune that in! I don't have satellite dishes or any other boxes. My internet is BT fibre. I've always said I don't need 100s more channels and don;t want to buy Sky/Virgin, etc packages but I am being tempted by things like Netflix and the fact that there are phone/broadband/tv packages that seem cheaper than my BT broadband and phone plus include Netflix! I also accept I will have to be dragged screaming into the world of tv packages sooner rather than later.
I do not have any need for or interest in gaming.
As I don't intend to replace my tv every 5 mins I want something that is more advanced than what I currently have without being absolutely out of the world (so not interested in 8k!). I did start looking at some offers on QLEDs at £1499 (Q95t/Q90t) and an OLED-(Sony but don't know model number) which is not really what I want to pay-was hoping for more like £999ish but I was prepared to consider that. However I will now wait until at least after Black Friday and maybe longer as you suggest and watch prices as I have a backup tv I can use til then (don't worry not the Samsung which sounds like it is exploding)
Herein lies my next problem. Pretty much everything seems to be 55inches or above including the ones I mentioned above. Until I measured up in my lounge (which isn't small-c30ft x13ft something!) I had no idea quite how huge that is. Due to position of doors, windows, chimney breast I'm not sure I can fit a 55 inch in without blocking out half the bay window! No idea how any of you are fitting bigger tvs in your rooms unless you live in mansions or have no other furniture! Not keen to wall mount and get crick in neck looking up. Suppose I could just sit it on the floor instead of on a stand to reduce the height but not ideal.
I don't want to stick to 43inches but there seem very few 48/49/50 inch tvs about that are QLED/OLED. Do I take a risk on one of them even though not as much choice, maybe older models/not such tip top reviews or go for a 55inch giant and try to accommodate it somehow?
I don't have enough technical know how to answer all your questions re specifications but I can say that I obviously want to enjoy a good sharp picture with vibrant colours and HD where available and sound (happy to buy a soundbar if needed) and I do watch athletics and football so I don't want blurring or jarring motion. I watch during the day in natural daylight plus during the night with a light on.
I don't need to plug lots of extra things in. I usually view at a slight angle or straight on and varies from about 7-12ft distance mainly depending on where I am sitting at the time.
I plan to pay for the tv to be setup partly as that means if anything goes wrong the shop/manufacturer can't say it is me. Once set up though I don't mind playing with settings based on some of the adjustments suggested here and elsewhere.
I definitely don't want to be plagued by judder or screen burn or image retention and blurring round the edges would drive me mad. Anti reflective screen would be good.
Sorry for long post. Thanks for the useful tips I have already read about and hoping you can make some observations/recommendations on my dilemma!

Dodgexander

May want to add these...

LG 49NANO85UNA
LG 55NANO85UNA
LG 49NANO866NA
LG 55NANO866NA
LG 55NANO90

Supports 4K 120Hz, 1440p 120Hz. ALLM, FreeSync.
Those are all 2020 models and may feature in my best buy guide of 2020-21 TVs. They have no place in this guide.
- Are TCL products any good? Problem is I can't find much info about their global products, like P715 or C715 since they aren't sold in North America.
Their European venture is different from America, the ones sold here in Europe are completely different. There may be one or two of there new TVs in my new guide, but it depends a lot on pricing. They tend to be more expensive than Hisense TVs of similar specs, so its often hard to recommend them.
- Is Samsung TU8000 worth paying extra, when compared to Samsung TU7000? 50" TU7000 is about the same price as 43" TU8000 where I am, and it'd have a better chance of having a VA panel if I understand correctly. 50" TU8000 would make me go a bit out of budget.
These are 2020 models whilst this guide is only 2019 models. You should wait for the new guide to see the best buys from new ranges. Right now its not good value to buy a 2020 model because of prices are quite high.

You may also notice a lack of Samsung models in this guide at sizes apart from 50", this likely won't change in the next guide either because of the games they play with different panels. You can see in the more info/faq section of the guide more about that.

@MaddyK I think you have jumped into the deep end a little before determining the type of TV that is best suited to you. You aren't alone with space constraints, which does mean you have a more dificult choice to make if you are shopping for a sub 55" TV. Take a moment to read the opening post of the guide and determine things like whether you are suited to an OLED TV or LCD TV, and if you come to the conclusion LCD, which panel type you prefer.

Here's the links for that which may help you:

Once you have an idea of which is suited to your conditions, your choice is easier. For example, if you like the sound of OLED technology, their only two 48" OLEDs to choose from. Both are 2020-21 models and are too expensive to recommend currently, but may be in my new best buy guide soon. As with all advice, its a bad time to presently shop for a TV unless you can find 2019-20 models in this guide still.

Btw, don't get tricked by marketing. A QLED is not a new display technology like OLED is. QLED is just a way of marketing LCD TVs by Samsung.

Last edited:

transwest

Hi MaddyK,
Firstly, how are you measuring your TV and TV space ? A 55" TV isn't 55" wide/long, it's measured corner to corner, which might make quite a difference to your space.
My room is a bit smaller than yours, but I'm moving up from a 55" to 65". Yep - it does go slightly across a corner window, but the curtain is always closed, and it serves my particular purpose.

Keep your eye on Dodgexander & you won't go far wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom