My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

LCDseeker

@Dodgexander I am also debating between Q70R/Q80T and XG/XH9505 but under about Samsung QLED reliability, you have any real statistics about the failure rate of Sony vs Samsung in this category?
The XG/XH95 is the better set compared to these Samsungs. I suspect failure rates are similar but the sign of a good manufacturer is how they deal with these issues. Having had warranty exchanges with Sony in recent years I can say they have always been excellent.

Steelhorse75

If you intend to keep watching Sky Sports news I wouldn't purchase another OLED TV. Go for an LCD TV instead. There are still some Sony 55XG9505 available in some places. Its a recommended model in this guide. If you want a 2020 model instead, wait for Black Friday or later.
Thanks I’ll look into it.
I love my Oled and for £3.5k I am disappointed after 4.5 years I can see screen burn. Not as if the tv is on all day. On a work day the tv is off from about 11pm in evening until 6-7pm the next day. Even during lockdown we didn’t watch tv all day.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

I love my Oled and for £3.5k I am disappointed after 4.5 years I can see screen burn. Not as if the tv is on all day. On a work day the tv is off from about 11pm in evening until 6-7pm the next day. Even during lockdown we didn’t watch tv all day.
Its a cumulative effect, so static elements like news channels are torture for them. Same was true with Plasma TVs of old.

Majex

Considering getting a new TV and not sure if it’s worth waiting for the new models to drop in price or buying one of last year’s models for outlet prices (if available). We’re not huge gamers but currently have a Nintendo switch and are probably getting a PS5 sometime next year. We mostly watch series and movies but also some sports and gaming. Sources are most often Netflix, HBO, Prime video and streaming services from different Norwegian channels. Since we’re in Norway there’s bright evenings in the summer so we need a TV that can deal reasonably well with that.

Currently looking at:
  • Panasonic TX-55GZ960E for 1198£ (demo, calibrated)
  • Sony KD55AG8BAEP for 1168£ (demo)
  • Samsung QE5570R for 674£ (used, returned to store before 60 days of use)
  • Philips 55OLED804/12 for 1059£
How do these stack up? And if we were to wait for the 2020-models, thoughts about which ones we should keep an eye out for? Will probably not consider going over 15000 NOK (1246£ in today’s exchange rates) in price so around mid to high end considering how last year’s models were priced.
Asking for a lot here, sorry if it’s too much and let me know if our demands are too much to ask for that price range.

Edit: Saw that some 2020-models are on sale.
  • LG 55NANO866NA at 831£
  • LG 55NANO916NA at 998£
  • Samsung QE55Q90TATXXC at 1246£
Worth considering?

Last edited:

Dodgexander

@Majex
2020 models are not worth considering yet. First time they may be will be Black Friday, depending on local deals of course. Generally Black Friday is the first time the biggest reductions happen, but the reductions won't beat that of a fully discounted 2019 model.

So if you want to maximise your value for money, you should buy a 2019 model now, or wait for a 2020 model at the very soonest, Black Friday.

As for choosing a TV, first you should consider which display technology is best suited to your viewing conditions:

After you have decided on that, it will make your choice easier. There's a comparison of all the OLEDs here:

Each OLED is remarkably similar since they all use the same panel made by LG, so differences between each are small. You can read about those in the comparison. Each of the OLEDs you found are so close in price, you should probably just go for the TV that ticks the most boxes for you.

BlueEyesKitty

Novice Member
Hello everyone !!!
I have now discovered this forum, as soon as I have some free time, I would like to read the other open threads !!!

given the interesting topics and the various comparisons between the TV ...
according to you, taking only the movie watching as good (without needing the smart part that can be filled by a mini pc or the audio part for which I already have a small external system)
which oled could be considered as the best choice among ...
lg 55cx, panasonic hz1000 and sony a8h?
I followed the various discussions on the LG C9 and CX, of which everyone speaks very well given its peculiarities, but what if I only took into consideration the image quality?
(I considered these 3 models because they are more or less the same price)
many thanks!!!

Dodgexander

Hello everyone !!!
I have now discovered this forum, as soon as I have some free time, I would like to read the other open threads !!!

given the interesting topics and the various comparisons between the TV ...
according to you, taking only the movie watching as good (without needing the smart part that can be filled by a mini pc or the audio part for which I already have a small external system)
which oled could be considered as the best choice among ...
lg 55cx, panasonic hz1000 and sony a8h?
I followed the various discussions on the LG C9 and CX, of which everyone speaks very well given its peculiarities, but what if I only took into consideration the image quality?
(I considered these 3 models because they are more or less the same price)
many thanks!!!
This guide only covers 2019-20 models since the newer ones are not good value to buy right now. I'll have a new guide out closer to Black Friday this year.

If you are interested in comparing OLED brands, you might find last years comparison I did helpful:

The pros and cons are specific to each manufacturer so won't be any different in 2020-21 ranges.

Mr_Maz

i missed out on the 55gz1500 for 1500euro and then was away when the 55gz950's dropped to 1000Euro in Belgium (1hr drive away)

Currently watching prices of 2019 models in the run-up to BF

lots of Philips 934's available for 1450-1500 Euro- - demo's, damaged packaging (but still with protective foil) - which makes it 100 euro more than an AG8 or E9, and the same as the HZ1000

would prefer the image quality of the Panasonic or Sony image, but the Philips has excellent sound built-in (less plugs) and Ambilight ( I have an Alexa and Hue setup in the rest of the house) - so currently favouring this option

jouster

If I’m NOT planning on gaming on it, is the Sony AG9 a good choice against the CX if I’m looking at 77 inches

seen too many horror stories about banding and screen uniformity on the CX recently that puts me off a little and of course it’s still prices very close to 5grand which is a LOT.

Dodgexander

Richer Sounds have a refurb 65 LG sm9010 for £675. Is this a good price for the tv?
It's in the guide. Look at 65" and the special mention section. Is it a good buy at that price? yes. Is it a TV suited for everyone? No. Really depends on your usage. HDR is a no-go with it.
If I’m NOT planning on gaming on it, is the Sony AG9 a good choice against the CX if I’m looking at 77 inches
Yes, its likely the AG9 being a 2019 model will be cheaper. It also has much better built in sound. Is it a better overall TV? No. But you can see I linked a OLED comparison in a recent post which shows where Sony gain and lose out compared to LG.

M1987

Been looking at the xf9005 and the Hisense u8qf.the xf9005 is £549 and the u8qf is £799.i know the xf9005 is 1000 nits and the other 1500 nits but is the u8qf worth £250 more?

Dodgexander

Been looking at the xf9005 and the Hisense u8qf.the xf9005 is £549 and the u8qf is £799.i know the xf9005 is 1000 nits and the other 1500 nits but is the u8qf worth £250 more?
It's a 2020 model, so will be at the top of its price cycle whilst the XF9005 was released in 2018 and at the bottom.

If you are looking at pure nits and HDR performance then the Hisense is better, but it would be better to wait to buy that TV to see if it comes down in price.

If you are interested more in picture processing, go with the Sony which should be more refined in this area.

Porradude

Novice Member
It's in the guide. Look at 65" and the special mention section. Is it a good buy at that price? yes. Is it a TV suited for everyone? No. Really depends on your usage. HDR is a no-go with it.

Yes, its likely the AG9 being a 2019 model will be cheaper. It also has much better built in sound. Is it a better overall TV? No. But you can see I linked a OLED comparison in a recent post which shows where Sony gain and lose out compared to LG.
Thanks. Which other 65" for that price would be better?

Dodgexander

Thanks. Which other 65" for that price would be better?
Not any currently because 2020 stock is overpriced. If you can find one in a higher tier in this guide for a similar amount it will be better, but its slim pickings now.

Porradude

Novice Member
Not any currently because 2020 stock is overpriced. If you can find one in a higher tier in this guide for a similar amount it will be better, but its slim pickings now.
Thanks very much. So, what are the chances of getting a 65" with better HDR performance for the same price when Black Friday hits?

Dodgexander

Thanks very much. So, what are the chances of getting a 65" with better HDR performance for the same price when Black Friday hits?
Next to none. You'd be looking at clearance discounts at around spring time, or possibly refurbs/ex displays.

65SM9010 was selling for £1100 last black friday, so that is the disparity in prices even between Black Friday and when a TV is in clearance. Black Friday is the first time to consider a new TV, not necessarily the best time.

Cameron583

seen too many horror stories about banding and screen uniformity on the CX recently that puts me off a little
I suspect this is more to do with the fact that more CXs are sold in general, so you will likely see more complaints :)

Porradude

Novice Member
Next to none. You'd be looking at clearance discounts at around spring time, or possibly refurbs/ex displays.

65SM9010 was selling for £1100 last black friday, so that is the disparity in prices even between Black Friday and when a TV is in clearance. Black Friday is the first time to consider a new TV, not necessarily the best time.
Wow, so £675 is actually a very good price then. Is the HDR that bad though?

My budget is £750. Is it safe to assume that I wouldn't be able to get anything else as good as this one for that price when the prices do drop?

Dodgexander

Wow, so £675 is actually a very good price then. Is the HDR that bad though?

My budget is £750. Is it safe to assume that I wouldn't be able to get anything else as good as this one for that price when the prices do drop?
I think you are perhaps jumping into a specific deal without actually thinking first if the LG is the TV for you. Have you determined first which type of panel type you want from a TV? That would be Step 1. Step 2 when shopping is to consider whether you will use HDR on the TV or not. If the answer to that is no, the LG is fine. If the answer to that is yes, then the LG is not good enough and shouldn't be considered.

When I made this guide, it was to try and help people determine the best TV for them. The guide is written with that in mind. If you jump to specific models without first contemplating the kind of TV you are shopping for, you will end up with the wrong TV.

You can read about HDR in the opening post. A minimum set of specs are required to display it properly. If a TV doesn't meet those specs its not really a case of it being that bad. It will mean you'll have picture quality issues using it.

Porradude

Novice Member
I think you are perhaps jumping into a specific deal without actually thinking first if the LG is the TV for you. Have you determined first which type of panel type you want from a TV? That would be Step 1. Step 2 when shopping is to consider whether you will use HDR on the TV or not. If the answer to that is no, the LG is fine. If the answer to that is yes, then the LG is not good enough and shouldn't be considered.

When I made this guide, it was to try and help people determine the best TV for them. The guide is written with that in mind. If you jump to specific models without first contemplating the kind of TV you are shopping for, you will end up with the wrong TV.

You can read about HDR in the opening post. A minimum set of specs are required to display it properly. If a TV doesn't meet those specs its not really a case of it being that bad. It will mean you'll have picture quality issues using it.
Thanks very much for your thorough response.

I've taken your advice and revisited your post regarding HDR and also what panel type I want from my TV.

With regards to HDR, I get the feeling that my budget of £750 will not get me a TV with sufficient HDR capability. If that's the case, then I have no choice but to get "the next best thing".

My viewing content is mainly hd content, sky q, prime video and Blu Ray discs. I don't have a 4k disc player yet so thats not what I'm thinking about at this stage.

In terms of which panel would be best and more suited to my viewing, I realise that VA panels are superior to IPS in terms of better blacks and contrasts but are IPS panels better only because they have wide viewing angles? I watch TV with a dim light on normally and also pretty much directly in front of the TV which is wall mounted.

Dodgexander

I watch TV with a dim light on normally and also pretty much directly in front of the TV which is wall mounted.
Yep as mentioned above, VA is better suited. If you opt for a TV with an IPS panel like the SM9010 you will get poorer screen uniformity in dim conditions. Not only that, but you'll also be buying a TV that can't really reproduce HDR properly, which makes it a poor choice for future proofing. The LG will be okay if you are watching non-HDR content and you don't mind so much about screen uniformity being poor, but you won't like how it looks once you start using new HDR content such as new series on prime.

Right now £750 won't buy you a capable HDR TV from 2020 lines, even at 55". Even at the best of time of buying, I don't think £750 will cut it for a 65".

What you could do is consider downsizing to a 55" and hope a refurb Sony XG9505 appears on their site. Sometimes local Sony stores will have stock too:

If you want to buy new I'd suggest looking at the new Hisense U8Q when the prices come down. If you are wanting a budget TV that gets halfway there with HDR, consider the Hisense U7Q. It gets a lot brighter than the LG...but it will still have some problems with HDR.

Porradude

Novice Member
Yep as mentioned above, VA is better suited. If you opt for a TV with an IPS panel like the SM9010 you will get poorer screen uniformity in dim conditions. Not only that, but you'll also be buying a TV that can't really reproduce HDR properly, which makes it a poor choice for future proofing. The LG will be okay if you are watching non-HDR content and you don't mind so much about screen uniformity being poor, but you won't like how it looks once you start using new HDR content such as new series on prime.

Right now £750 won't buy you a capable HDR TV from 2020 lines, even at 55". Even at the best of time of buying, I don't think £750 will cut it for a 65".

What you could do is consider downsizing to a 55" and hope a refurb Sony XG9505 appears on their site. Sometimes local Sony stores will have stock too:

If you want to buy new I'd suggest looking at the new Hisense U8Q when the prices come down. If you are wanting a budget TV that gets halfway there with HDR, consider the Hisense U7Q. It gets a lot brighter than the LG...but it will still have some problems with HDR.
Thanks very much for the in depth info. It's very much appreciated.

shaydoken

May want to add these...

LG 49NANO85UNA
LG 55NANO85UNA
LG 49NANO866NA
LG 55NANO866NA
LG 55NANO90

Supports 4K 120Hz, 1440p 120Hz. ALLM, FreeSync.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Oppo launches S1 and R1 4K smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lithe Audio AirPlay 2 ceiling speakers world's first
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett