My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

@Dodgexander or anyone else, there is so many threads on here gets confusing.
I currently have a Panasonic 55CX680b as your aware it's a 2015 model with no HDR but the PQ has been good (well in my imo anyway) it's probably rubbish though compared to now lol
I would like an HDR set now as I get the impression I am missing out, I'm happy to wait until Black Friday for some deals but what should I go for, would I get a decent oled with a 1k budget by then, if I can't get one its not a deal breaker, I just want a decent new set with good HDR reproduction ?
Look out for the Sony 55XF9005 being close to a £1000. Its the only decent HDR that may drop close to that figure.

Philips seemed to be telling the truth when they said most of their TVs would be using VA panels, credit to them!

it does look like the WCG starts with the 7 series though.

@zeppelino @Mane UK

Have you guys helped anyone in a store yet?`

FYI I did just that yesterday, told the chap to wait until Black Friday, he was interested in a LG C8, gave him some useful advice sourced from these very forums, he shook my hand and thanked me lol.

@zeppelino @Mane UK

FYI I did just that yesterday, told the chap to wait until Black Friday, he was interested in a LG C8, gave him some useful advice sourced from these very forums, he shook my hand and thanked me lol.
The outside? Whats that?

Just joking!

@zeppelino @Mane UK

Not with a big ticket purchase. But once helped a guy who was looking at a Panasonic UB900 but didn’t actually need it over the 400. He had no plans to utilise analogue outputs and just needed a simple plug and play machine.

ciao dodgexander quale modello consiglieresti tra questi 55 pollici
UE55MU6172 prezzo 500 euro, Samsung - UE55NU7370U prezzo 579 euro o Hisense H55U7A, prezzo 589 euro o Samsung - prezzo Ue55mu6400
689 euro;
un altro pezzo di informazione, ma il hisense che ho menzionato è dotato di un pannello va ?

UE55MU6172 prezzo 500 euro, Samsung - UE55NU7370U prezzo 579 euro o Hisense H55U7A, prezzo 589 euro o Samsung - prezzo Ue55mu6400
689 euro;
un altro pezzo di informazione, ma il hisense che ho menzionato è dotato di un pannello va ?

Ciao!

Hisense U7A è il miglior pannello VA.

689 euro;
Please post in English.

@zeppelino @Mane UK

Great work, well done! :clap:

I review quite a bit of stuff, not just televisions, so I quite often interfere in other people's purchasing decisions out in the real world.
Just like you did, I try to give a quick bit of relevant helpful and impartial information. Mostly it goes well.
:cool:

so I quite often interfere in other people's purchasing decisions out in the real world.
Just like you did, I try to give a

I couldn't help myself to be honest, it's in my nature lol.

@Dodgexander
I've read through the whole of this post with interest and yours and a few other people's info has been really informative. I'm after a 55" tv, I currently have an old Samsung ue40c6510ukxxu, I'll be using it mainly for just watching tv with sky q 2tb box and streaming with the odd use of a Nintendo switch. I'm really leaning towards getting the Hisense 55u7a after your recommendations, currently I can get it for £619 from Richer sounds but the Samsung UE55NU8000 is available for £719. At those prices which would you recommend? The Hisense has a 6 year warranty and the Samsung a 5 year protection. Thanks for any recommendations they're extremely helpful.

Last edited:
@Dodgexander
I've read through the whole of this post with interest and yours and a few other people's info has been really informative. I'm after a 55" tv, I currently have an old Samsung ue40c6510ukxxu, I'll be using it mainly for just watching tv with sky q 2tb box and streaming with the odd use of a Nintendo switch. I'm really leaning towards getting the Hisense 55u7a after your recommendations, currently I can get it for £619 from Richer sounds but the Samsung UE55NU8000 is available for £719. At those prices which would you recommend? The Hisense has a 6 year warranty and the Samsung a 5 year protection. Thanks for any recommendations they're extremely helpful.

How important is hdr? Is streaming likely to be 4K/hdr where possible?

How important is hdr? Is streaming likely to be 4K/hdr where possible?
The streaming will be amazon video, Netflix and kodi, so where possible I'd like to use 4k but as I'm only used to an old 2012 tv any improvement will be noticeable in comparison

The streaming will be amazon video, Netflix and kodi, so where possible I'd like to use 4k but as I'm only used to an old 2012 tv any improvement will be noticeable in comparison

I’d say the Samsung is worth the extra. Though the Hisense is not a bad tv

My next dilemma is to buy now or wait for black friday

You’ll do well to beat that price. For reference, it’s predecessor was selling for c£700 as end of line clearance. That was May/June after the NU range was announced and cams to market

You’ll do well to beat that price. For reference, it’s predecessor was selling for c£700 as end of line clearance. That was May/June after the NU range was announced and cams to market
Thanks for the help if I caught it a few hours earlier Compton and Moore mispriced it at £692 but £719 Is still a good price

Last edited:
At only a £100 more if that NU8000 comes with the same 5 year warranty its probably worth the extra over the Hisense.

I don't think there's harm in waiting for black friday though, maybe they both drop more. The Hisense for your uses is plenty really.

At only a £100 more if that NU8000 comes with the same 5 year warranty its probably worth the extra over the Hisense.

I don't think there's harm in waiting for black friday though, maybe they both drop more. The Hisense for your uses is plenty really.
It's back down to £692 and apparently Richer sounds are price matching it if it's available in my local store, it comes with a 5 year protection at Crampton and Moore but I can't find an explanation as to what you get with that protection, but if richer sounds price match it'll have the 6 year warranty. Thanks for the inputs

John Lewis have just price matched the 65nu8000 for me at £1099.00
Should I wait until black friday?
Hmmm decisions

John Lewis have just price matched the 65nu8000 for me at £1099.00
Should I wait until black friday?
Hmmm decisions
This is £989.10 at Crampton and Moore. You need to tick the £50 discount box on screen then enter Facebook at checkout to get 10% off. This comes with 5 year protection plan so JL and richer sounds should price match. Warning the Facebook code runs out today, is it worth taking the risk for Black Friday.

Thanks for that..i will apply for another pricematch from John Lewis

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom