My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

I was recommended this LG TV at a store today - 55UK6750PLD
Can't find a lot of information on this one. What do you guys think of it? Any good?
It Was mentioned as the closest led to an lg oled...

I was recommended this LG TV at a store today - 55UK6750PLD
Can't find a lot of information on this one. What do you guys think of it? Any good?
It Was mentioned as the closest led to an lg oled...

Do you view head on?

And I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it is not the closest led to OLED. Far from it.

Do you view head on?

And I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it is not the closest led to OLED. Far from it.

"Do you view head on?" Sorry, I don't understand.

My budget is kind of low... So I went to ask about the hisense 55U7A. I was suggested the lg one instead... But I'm not completely sure if this LG is that much better, or any better at all than the U7A. price wise, LG is £100 more.

I need to take one of you experts with me to these stores XD

Thanks

"Do you view head on?" Sorry, I don't understand.

My budget is kind of low... So I went to ask about the hisense 55U7A. I was suggested the lg one instead... But I'm not completely sure if this LG is that much better, or any better at all than the U7A. price wise, LG is £100 more.

I need to take one of you experts with me to these stores XD

Thanks

Do you sit directly in front of the tv?

No. Store was being refurbished. Will go back next week to see the TV's in action. A bit too noisy and dusty.

No. At home, will you sit directly in front of the tv? Sorry, should’ve been clearer.

@ricak never trust a salesman! They will try and sell you anything and this is an example of that. Hisense U7A is far better.

Just take a read of of the OP, no LG LCDs listed at all, they use IPS panels that aren't the best picture quality for most people.

Read this link about viewing TVs in a shop (and salesman)

@ricak never trust a salesman! They will try and sell you anything and this is an example of that. Hisense U7A is far better.

Just take a read of of the OP, no LG LCDs listed at all, they use IPS panels that aren't the best picture quality for most people.

Read this link about viewing TVs in a shop (and salesman)
Thanks for the advice. Usually I go with that mindset, but at that store (RS) I was very convinced that they would be there to really help and advise...

Anyway... For my budget (600) I was considering the U7A. I've been looking at the Sony 9005 but that is the double at the moment - maybe it drops to 1000 on black Friday.

the NU8000 is slightly cheaper than the sony one at around 930...
But I'm not sure if there is a huge difference between these 3 tvs..

I'm very exited to get a new tv asap... but i guess i should be more reasonable and make an effort to wait for any promotion until Black Friday... :/

Last edited:
Hi all, I need to make a snap decision on a TV. Today!! (there are reasons lol!) .

65inch multipurpose to go on wall. Top top spec not a big deal but good Smart TV/freeview options needed as its on the wall.
Based on budget (£900) and availability I have narrowed it down to:

Samsung UE65NU7100

Philips 65PUS6753 65"

They seem like good 2018 budget options whos prices are dropping. Looks like I have missed out on 2017 top end models coming down in price.

Lastly, is this a really bad time to buy? I need one now, TV has broke so waiting is not really an option unless I am stark raving mad to buy new now.

Thanks for the advice. Usually I go with that mindset, but at that store (RS) I was very convinced that they would be there to really help and advise...

Anyway... For my budget (600) I was considering the U7A. I've been looking at the Sony 9005 but that is the double at the moment - maybe it drops to 1000 on black Friday.

the NU8000 is slightly cheaper than the sony one at around 930...
But I'm not sure if there is a huge difference between these 3 tvs..

I'm very exited to get a new tv asap... but i guess i should be more reasonable and make an effort to wait for any promotion until Black Friday... :/
Which TV you go for depends how you use the TV. There is little point for many people even buying the Hisense U7A when lesser TVs will suffice. Getting a TV like the NU8000 and especially the XF9005 is too much for most people and will only offer marginal gains in picture quality for the cost. The gains made are almost exclusively with HDR. So if you don't need HDR to be better, the Hisense is best value and will be even when the NU8000 sells for £800.

Hi all, I need to make a snap decision on a TV. Today!! (there are reasons lol!) .

65inch multipurpose to go on wall. Top top spec not a big deal but good Smart TV/freeview options needed as its on the wall.
Based on budget (£900) and availability I have narrowed it down to:

Samsung UE65NU7100

Philips 65PUS6753 65"

They seem like good 2018 budget options whos prices are dropping. Looks like I have missed out on 2017 top end models coming down in price.

Lastly, is this a really bad time to buy? I need one now, TV has broke so waiting is not really an option unless I am stark raving mad to buy new now.
Not sure what panel type the Samsung uses, its always a risk with Samsungs low end UHD TVs that you get an IPS type panel.They also use several different panels sometimes so its hard to know which one you get on the TV.
If the Philips uses a VA panel like the 55" version it will be a decent buy, sadly no confirmation on that so I wouldn't be surprised using IPS.
The following TV would be a better buy than those two and sure to be a VA type panel:
Panasonic 65EX700B 65 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart TV

Assuming of course you don't need wide viewing angles.

Which TV you go for depends how you use the TV. There is little point for many people even buying the Hisense U7A when lesser TVs will suffice. Getting a TV like the NU8000 and especially the XF9005 is too much for most people and will only offer marginal gains in picture quality for the cost. The gains made are almost exclusively with HDR. So if you don't need HDR to be better, the Hisense is best value and will be even when the NU8000 sells for £800.

Not sure what panel type the Samsung uses, its always a risk with Samsungs low end UHD TVs that you get an IPS type panel.They also use several different panels sometimes so its hard to know which one you get on the TV.
If the Philips uses a VA panel like the 55" version it will be a decent buy, sadly no confirmation on that so I wouldn't be surprised using IPS.
The following TV would be a better buy than those two and sure to be a VA type panel:
Panasonic 65EX700B 65 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart TV

Assuming of course you don't need wide viewing angles.

Thanks for the advice, I have got an old TV from a friend so can consider this on the next few days. I will certainly look up the one you mention. Viewing angles should not be an issue. I will look at the diferences between a VA vs IPS

Currys seriously screwed me over. I bought the Sony 65ex85 last Sunday for £899. Today they call to tell me it's no longer available. Very very annoyed!

Need a 65" TV for under 1k. Any further thoughts? Do I go with the hisense or wait?

What are the thoughts on Philips 55POS9002 for £1299, is it a good OLED TV for the price?
Yes
Currys seriously screwed me over. I bought the Sony 65ex85 last Sunday for £899. Today they call to tell me it's no longer available. Very very annoyed!

Need a 65" TV for under 1k. Any further thoughts? Do I go with the hisense or wait?
OMG no! That sucks, they even relisted on their website at that price, must have been a mistake but horrible not letting you know for so long!

The Hisense U7A would be the best option right now at 65", if you were to wait then you may find a better deal in the future from the Samsung 65NU8000 which is at around £1500 right now but may be reduced at black friday and may come closer to £1000 in clearance between spring and summer next year.

They haven't called me but I've just had a reply on FB messenger saying the same - they actually asked me if I wanted a refund???? No just keep my money you muppets !! I was in two minds about buying from them...will not shop there again for a big ticket item.

Looking for a new TV in the 50-55” range, will only be used to watch UFC and movies, no regular TV or gaming. Been looking at the following two deals:
Hisense H50A6200UK - £379
Hisense H50N6800UK - £468

Is there a significant bump in quality for my use case going with the N6800? Are there any other better deals out there/likely to pop up soon (Black Friday perhaps)?

Adding to this, Argos sells the A6250 for the same price as the A6200 can be found, is it any different or is it the same TV just sold from different stores?

Adding to this, Argos sells the A6250 for the same price as the A6200 can be found, is it any different or is it the same TV just sold from different stores?

I'd say it's just a shop specific model, maybe with a different colour stand or bezel, Samsung does the same on their models, just changes the number at the end.

No surprise really since its using the same panel as the other 50" TVs we have been recommending for years. Difference is it makes the other TVs look too expensive when you can get this much for so little from Hisense (same with the U7A).
Looking for a new TV in the 50-55” range, will only be used to watch UFC and movies, no regular TV or gaming. Been looking at the following two deals:
Hisense H50A6200UK - £379
Hisense H50N6800UK - £468

Is there a significant bump in quality for my use case going with the N6800? Are there any other better deals out there/likely to pop up soon (Black Friday perhaps)?
The newer model uses the same panel but without the wide colour gamut. Its not important really for TVs at this price range unless you wish to use HDR alot, but then again if you want to use HDR a lot you should not be expecting much when buying TVs this cheap anyway.

Already answered above but if its 50" (not 49") it will be the same TV just with minor differences in design. Best ask Hisense exactly what the differences are, I personally believe they have different model numbers for the same TV so some stores can keep prices higher.

Philips seemed to be telling the truth when they said most of their TVs would be using VA panels, credit to them!

it does look like the WCG starts with the 7 series though.

@Dodgexander or anyone else, there is so many threads on here gets confusing.
I currently have a Panasonic 55CX680b as your aware it's a 2015 model with no HDR but the PQ has been good (well in my imo anyway) it's probably rubbish though compared to now lol
I would like an HDR set now as I get the impression I am missing out, I'm happy to wait until Black Friday for some deals but what should I go for, would I get a decent oled with a 1k budget by then, if I can't get one its not a deal breaker, I just want a decent new set with good HDR reproduction ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom