My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

Dodgexander

Been a while but I thought I would make a thread about my personal recommendations to what I believe to be the best value TV's. This list is based on general TV use, sport, gaming and movie watching PQ only. Feel free to make any comments/ask me to add anything I've missed. If you want to read why going UHD is not always the best option, see here.

If you can wait to buy, please do, you will pick up a lot more for your money. See: The best time to buy a TV

All the TV's on my list use VA type panels as far as I know. I have not included IPS panels due to inferior contrast, but if you need wider viewing angles it is better to go the IPS route. I cannot be held responsible if you follow the guide, purchase a TV on the basis I said it had a VA panel only to find it doesn't. Sadly I cannot control the panel lottery. This info is only to the best of my knowledge from feedback on here and in reviews online I have read.

My views are also based on personal opinion, you may find your values lay elsewhere, but this is based on how much TV I think you are getting for your money, including HDR support. If you don't care about HDR or you prefer 3D or use your TV for PC use your selection will likely be quite different.

Value calculated based on UK pricing. UK market model numbers.

Key:
TVs marked in blue do not support wide colour gamut for better colour only with HDR.
TVs marked in red do not support HDR at all.
TVs that meet UHD premium (or close to) specs for HDR are bold these tv's are the bare minimum I would consider if HDR is important to you.

To understand the differences between each TV with HDR and the limitation of HDR based on each budget sector, you can read my thread here: 2017 HDR TV overview

Low Range

Buying a low range TV means you will have the most limitations. There will be less motion settings and more motion blur overall. I wouldn't recommend anyone buying a low range TV if they were sensitive with motion.

1. Samsung: 32M5xxx
40/43
  1. Sony 40RE453 or smart 40WExxx series*
  2. Samsung 40M5xxx/43M5xxx series
  3. Panasonic 40EX700
  4. Samsung 40MU64xx series
  5. Panasonic 40EX600
  6. Samsung 40MU61xx
  7. Panasonic 40EX600
49/50

1. Samsung 49M5xxx series
  2. Hisense 50N6800
  3. Panasonic 50EX700
  4. Philips 50PUS6262/50PUS6272
  5. Samsung 50MU61xx(Flat) / 49MU62xx(curved).

55/58 - Can't hold value in these compared to the new Hisense 55U7A
  1. Hisense 55N6800
  2. Panasonic 58EX700
  3. Sony 55XE70xx
  4. Samsung 55MU620xx.
  5. Samsung 55MU65xx(curved), 55MU66xx(curved).

1. Samsung 65MU6220(curved).
  2. Hisense 65N6800
  3. Panasonic 65EX700
  1. Samsung 75MU6100

Mid Range

These TVs improve mostly on low range models by the introduction of higher hz panels. This means the TV will have more settings to improve motion. Out of the box it may perform poorly in sport but it will give you the ability to enhance motion more than low end TVs. You will notice also that the mid range sector is when we start to see decent a decent performing HDR TV.

49/50
  1. Panasonic 50EX750 only available rarely on their eBay refurb store now. May find some open box or refurbs in stores.
  2. Samsung 49Q7

1. Samsung 55MU9000
  2. Sony 55XE85xx
  3. Sony 55XE9005 may still be available from Sony centre direct or clearance in stores as refurb/open box.
  4. Hisense 55NU8700
  5. Samsung 55MU70xx
  6. Panasonic 58EX750 = Samsung MU8000 Panasonic eBay store may get some more ex750
  7. Samsung 55Q7

65 - Hisense U7A is an alternative from 2018 priced well in this range.
  1. Panasonic 65EX750 - Currys eBay deal beneath £1000. Panasonic refurb store eBay may have some but unsure of price.
  2. Hisense 65NU8700
  3. Sony 65XE9005
  4. Samsung 65MU7000
  5. Sony 65XE85xx = Samsung 65MU9000
  6. Samsung 65MU8000
  7. Samsung 65Q7
  1. Sony 75XE9005
  2. Samsung 75MU70xx
  3. Samsung 75Q7
  4. Samsung 75MU8000 still quite overpriced

High Range

These TVs improve mostly on mid range models by using display technology that enhances the difference between darks and brights, whether this be OLED or lots of dimming zones with LCDs. You get better HDR support and HDR performance that is good rather than only decent.

1. LG B7, C7
  2. Philips 55POS9002
  3. Panasonic 55EZ952
  4. Sony 55XE9305#

1. LG 65B7, 65C7
  2. Sony 65ZD9 - refurb ex display maybe
  3. Sony 65XE9305#- may be on Sony centre direct.
75 - Hisense U9A likely usurps these for value not.
  1. Sony 75XE94xx series
  2. Sony 75ZD9
2016 edition: 2016 Guide: My best value UHD TVs

*(Only accepts HDR via PS4 and PS4 pro).
#This is an edge lit model, but a very good one at that.

Edit# newly updated strikethroughs to represent lack of availability.

Last edited:

jjkk

Novice Member
First of all thank you for this thread and all the information you post around here. It's been really helpful for me.

After a couple of weeks of browsing TVs I've narrowed my search to these few models, I'd appreciate if you help me decide which one would be the best pick. Price difference is <50£.

Sony KDL40WD650
Samsung 40K5600
Samsung 40M5005A
Samsung 40KU6000
Samsung 40MU6105

Thanks.

Dodgexander

If there is such a small difference go with a 2017 model.. Whether you want UHD or not depends how much you care for the quality of standard definition up-scaling vs whether you view close enough to even notice UHD on a small screen...which most people don't even with a 65" TV let alone 40".

BigBee

@ Dodgexander

Just want to echo what the other chap said. Thanks for your post as above and the others on here. Have been reading this forum for a few weeks now as am in the market for a new TV, your input is very helpful indeed.

history

@Dodgexander What sort of price should I be looking at to pull the trigger on the Hisense 55N6800? Impressed with what I've seen and backed up by the review on here, now it's down to how low will it go?! Thanks

Dodgexander

Well its difficult to know for sure but last year's most comparable model; the M5500 dropped to £600 black friday and went down to £500 in spring this year. Thats not the full story though as there are also often deals such as 10% discount codes and cashback too.

history

Well its difficult to know for sure but last year's most comparable model; the M5500 dropped to £600 black friday and went down to £500 in spring this year. Thats not the full story though as there are also often deals such as 10% discount codes and cashback too.
Thanks for the reply, it will be a Black Friday deal or before as I'll need it before the end of the year. Seem to be a few deals popping up already hence my anxiety at missing out. £600 would be ace.

Just noticed co op electrical have it at £639 with code....

Last edited:

Devil On Your S

The Sony 40RE453 does have hdr. Its probably terrible, but it does support hdr.

Dodgexander

The Sony 40RE453 does have hdr. Its probably terrible, but it does support hdr.

Thanks!
Looks like it files under the same category as the WE6 range, HDR support from PS4/PS4 pro but no wide colour gamut.

The Sony FHD HDR TVs only support HDR from any apps if they have them or for the PS4/PS4 pro via HDMI.

They do not support HDR any other way as they are limited to only using HDMI 1.4 ports.

bigjb

Distinguished Member
Would you recommend the Sony 55xe90 or Samsung 55mu7000 from this years mid range over the Panasonic 58dx702B from last year’s mid range.

Z

zapp8rannigan

You wouldn't consider the Q7f ("only" £100 more in RS) in the 49/50 mid range at all?

I'm definately leaning towards either the Q7f or 49XE9005 might even look at buying it soon as Richersounds are saying they will refund the difference come black friday...

Dodgexander

The Q7 has come down a lot in price which makes it more attractive. It is better at handling reflections than the Sony and is capable of getting a little brighter, colour is a little better too but due to the fact its edge lit and is more expensive I don't think it is as good of a buy.

I'm going to update my recommendations based on current pricing, I may have to do it again come black friday too.

Its important to note I made this guide pure and simply through bang for buck, I rated the Q7 the same as the Panasonic EX750 and below others because the Panasonic is a tad expensive for not being HDR capable (still cheaper than the Sony XE9005) whilst the Q7 being more expensive than the Sony XE9005 isn't really worth the extra imo.

But this doesn't mean the performance of both TVs is the same.

This is for value only.

Last edited:

stewjoy

Good read, I know you a basing this on price ratio but forgetting price for now . Going on picture alone what’s your opinion on the q7 Samsung against the XE9005,

Dodgexander

The Samsung is an edge lit TV with a poor local dimming system. The Sony is a full array local dimming model with decent local dimming. There are many more things the Sony does better than the Samsung and its currently cheaper that makes it a better buy.

As I said the only reasons to go for the Q7 over the sony are 1. Slightly more colour saturation with HDR only. 2. Slightly better at handling reflections. 3. A little brighter peak highlights with HDR.

In every other area, including the Sony's ability to maintain peak highlights the Sony is better. The Samsung is not a consideration in my view even at the same price, let alone £100 more. That's why I rated it the same bang for buck as the Panasonic.

stewjoy

The Samsung is an edge lit TV with a poor local dimming system. The Sony is a full array local dimming model with decent local dimming. There are many more things the Sony does better than the Samsung and its currently cheaper that makes it a better buy.

As I said the only reasons to go for the Q7 over the sony are 1. Slightly more colour saturation with HDR only. 2. Slightly better at handling reflections. 3. A little brighter peak highlights with HDR.

In every other area, including the Sony's ability to maintain peak highlights the Sony is better. The Samsung is not a consideration in my view even at the same price, let alone £100 more. That's why I rated it the same bang for buck as the Panasonic.
Thanks, the reason I asked is that I was in John Lewis yesterday and had a look at the XE9005 and I thought the hd didn’t look good at all. I asked if that was the best that it could do answer from the guy was hd isn’t very good on this set. I know it’s 4k but you don’t get a lot of programs in that format all the time that’s why I needed to see hd.

Dodgexander

HD is just a resolution, it won't look better on one TV compared to another because of its resolution. Every UHD TV does a decent job upscaling it if thats what you mean.

Firstly I wouldn't trust what a salesman says, they are often affiliated with a TV manufacturer (probably Samsung in this case) and secondly do not use shop demo's and shop floors to judge how a TV performs.

The picture modes and demo reels they put these TVs on in the store are deliberately made to stand out by looking over saturated, bright and vivid. The pictures you see are not reminiscent of what you will have at home.

What are you currently using and why are you considering upgrading your TV if you will be using just HD content?

I would usually only advise people upgrade when they have a plethora of UHD and HDR sources, plus they need to view close enough. These TVs are not going to perform magic to make anything non-UHD look better, they will do their best but sometimes older TVs can even do a better job with older content.

stewjoy

HD is just a resolution, it won't look better on one TV compared to another because of its resolution. Every UHD TV does a decent job upscaling it if thats what you mean.

Firstly I wouldn't trust what a salesman says, they are often affiliated with a TV manufacturer (probably Samsung in this case) and secondly do not use shop demo's and shop floors to judge how a TV performs.

The picture modes and demo reels they put these TVs on in the store are deliberately made to stand out by looking over saturated, bright and vivid. The pictures you see are not reminiscent of what you will have at home.

What are you currently using and why are you considering upgrading your TV if you will be using just HD content?

I would usually only advise people upgrade when they have a plethora of UHD and HDR sources, plus they need to view close enough. These TVs are not going to perform magic to make anything non-UHD look better, they will do their best but sometimes older TVs can even do a better job with older content.
I have the Sony w905, plus sky q. Which has uhd programs as you know. But you still need to watch hd programs like sky atlantic.

Dodgexander

W905 is a great TV and I wouldn't be in a rush to replace it. Have a look at UHD vs FHD you will need to view close enough to benefit from the UHD channels so you aren't really missing out on much.

There are aspects in PQ which may be better with your current TV than its replacement outside of resolution.

stewjoy

Thanks for that Dodgexander, food for thought.

Invention Icon

Novice Member
Thanks for all of your detailed analysis and opinions. It has been helping me research better questions and really get me closer to what I will be getting.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PROMOTED: How to watch UK TV from any country
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Amazon Prime Day 2021 coming 21st -22nd June
  • By Andy Bassett