My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

Thanks for the detailed reply. It’s for a bedroom so I won’t be needing over a 43” screen (that’s pushing it 😬). It will be mostly used in the dark during the later evenings.
I understand the HDR will be very limited on these sets thanks.
The TV will be wall mounted on a full swing arm so viewing angle(s) should be fine.

Thanks for the detailed reply. It’s for a bedroom so I won’t be needing over a 43” screen (that’s pushing it 😬). It will be mostly used in the dark during the later evenings.
I understand the HDR will be very limited on these sets thanks.
The TV will be wall mounted on a full swing arm so viewing angle(s) should be fine.
For a bedroom TV I'd consider a TV that uses a VA panel instead of IPS, due to better light control in dark conditions. Just beware they have narrow viewing angles.

That means looking at models in the guide with narrow viewing angles. Hisense, TCL and Samsung tend to use VA panels at 43" size.

For a bedroom TV I'd consider a TV that uses a VA panel instead of IPS, due to better light control in dark conditions. Just beware they have narrow viewing angles.

That means looking at models in the guide with narrow viewing angles. Hisense, TCL and Samsung tend to use VA panels at 43" size.
Thanks, I’ll have a look at the Samsung’s. Never used or seen a Hisense or TCL.

Is there a difference between the Samsung AU8000 £489? & AU9000 £499?

Is there a difference between the Samsung AU8000 £489? & AU9000 £499?
Differences outside of picture quality. The TV can accept (but not display) a 120hz input. It has VRR support also.

Other differences include PVR and timeshift, ambient mode and digital butler, the latter is for detecting and controlling various Samsung smart devices. Both TVs are 2021 models and are overpriced at present.

Has anyone looked into either the Hisense QLED 50E76GQTUK or the 50A7GQTUK. The former actually promotes itself as a great gaming TV. I was looking at the Hisense U7Q but the two mentioned have HDMI 2.1 which the U7Q doesn't. Can't find any reviews for either though

Did you end up buying this television? Trying to find out from people who've bought it if it comes with HDMI 2.1 and what the gaming performance is like. Apparently has VRR and ALLM. Seems like a good gaming TV (120hz would have been perfect) for the money, at least on paper.

Did you end up buying this television? Trying to find out from people who've bought it if it comes with HDMI 2.1 and what the gaming performance is like. Apparently has VRR and ALLM. Seems like a good gaming TV (120hz would have been perfect) for the money, at least on paper.
Ended upgoing with the U7Q and for the money I'm very pleased with it

So - I waited and decided not to go for Q90T. Now we have new lineup - QN91A (VA Panel), and LG C1.

And I am thinking - QN91A is excellent tv, but I have a little bit of crush on OLED.

For gaming and pc monitor - should I just go for OLED and forget about whole burn in? Will the OLED screen be noticeable better here? The room I am planning to use it is not that bright, I would say moderately bright, and I have a possibility to just close the blinds there if it's too sunny.
More to that LG C1 is cheaper than QN91a (both 65 inches).

So - I waited and decided not to go for Q90T. Now we have new lineup - QN91A (VA Panel), and LG C1.

And I am thinking - QN91A is excellent tv, but I have a little bit of crush on OLED.

For gaming and pc monitor - should I just go for OLED and forget about whole burn in? Will the OLED screen be noticeable better here? The room I am planning to use it is not that bright, I would say moderately bright, and I have a possibility to just close the blinds there if it's too sunny.

If you're able to order from John Lewis they offer an insurance policy for burn-in for about £140.

I bought the LG C1 as a PC monitor and it's night and day in terms of IQ compared to my previous TV/monitor. Gaming is brilliant on the new TV and it allows me to get the most out of my graphics card thanks to its 120hz capabilities and VRR. A new update dropped today 3.20.12 so Dolby Vision should now work at 120hz instead of the 60hz it was locked to before.

If you're able to order from John Lewis they offer an insurance policy for burn-in for about £140.
I am buying in Poland and apparently regular warranty covers burn in for 2 years. So I should be good here. Will just use it intensively and let's see how it goes :) The only thing that makes me think now about C1 vs QN91a is HDR performance, but then when I watch videos I can see that QN91a in game mode is not that great as it's supposed to be. Geez and again tough choice.

edit: Oh OK I am wrong with this regular warranty it seems. So not so sure anymore about OLED :|

Last edited:
Watching videos of TVs never gives you a good idea. Such videos are best avoided for comparison since the TVs will look very different in person, and especially in your own viewing conditions.

Screen burn is not covered by warranty on the C1. The G1 has a 'panel warranty' which is said to cover it though.

The risk of burn in has little to do with whether you are a gamer or not, but more to do with what games you play. Think if you play a lot of games with bright static huds like FIFA OLED is probably not for you, but if you don't OLED is fine. Even with high risk games like FIFA you'd need to be playing those 20h a week for it to be a risk in 4-5 years.
See OLED Burn In Risk for more detail.

Also think about your viewing conditions and personal preferences.
Like a bright impactful image? Go for an LCD TV.
Like a more refined image? OLED
Play during the day a lot? LCD
Dislike motion blur? OLED
Dislike motion stutter? LCD...and so on.

Also consider you're only shopping for 2021 models which are expensive currently. This time of year you will need to overpay for new stock, whereas 2020 models like the LG CX or Samsung Q90T may be cheaper. Delay your purchase if you want a new model to not overpay, or buy last years stock at discount.

I am buying in Poland and apparently regular warranty covers burn in for 2 years. So I should be good here. Will just use it intensively and let's see how it goes :) The only thing that makes me think now about C1 vs QN91a is HDR performance, but then when I watch videos I can see that QN91a in game mode is not that great as it's supposed to be. Geez and again tough choice.

edit: Oh OK I am wrong with this regular warranty it seems. So not so sure anymore about OLED :|

Is it worth checking with your building and contents insurer to see if your policy covers burn-in anyway? I believe at least one insurer in the UK covers it (Domestic & General) so perhaps there's a company in Poland who'll offer the same. Or call an insurance broker and explain what type of cover you're looking for and they might connect you with someone?

Is it worth checking with your building and contents insurer to see if your policy covers burn-in anyway?
yeah for sure Media Markt provides it but then for the price of tv and insurance I could have G1 :)

Also consider you're only shopping for 2021 models which are expensive currently. This time of year you will need to overpay for new stock, whereas 2020 models like the LG CX or Samsung Q90T may be cheaper. Delay your purchase if you want a new model to not overpay, or buy last years stock at discount.

For me 2020 models are no go, mostly cause of vrr issues. I want to have properly working tv in hdmi 2.1, and so far as far as I know only LG fixed their shit. Considering there is no burn in warranty (I will check more) using OLED in my case as a monitor for web browsing (for instance at this moment I am using my X900F to write this message) and games might be risky. I'll have to try and buy QN91a. There was a good offer for 6.5k PLN (~1.4k EUR) for 65QN91A and I didnt take it... geez :)

yeah for sure Media Markt provides it but then for the price of tv and insurance I could have G1 :)

For me 2020 models are no go, mostly cause of vrr issues. I want to have properly working tv in hdmi 2.1, and so far as far as I know only LG fixed their sh*t. Considering there is no burn in warranty (I will check more) using OLED in my case as a monitor for web browsing (for instance at this moment I am using my X900F to write this message) and games might be risky. I'll have to try and buy QN91a. There was a good offer for 6.5k PLN (~1.4k EUR) for 65QN91A and I didnt take it... geez :)
If you're planning to use the TV as a primary monitor then its definitely not a good idea to go OLED. If its just for some web browsing from time to time but mostly video content as a secondary display its okay. But you can't really leave it with static web pages, programs etc up for long periods of time. If I were you I wouldn't purchase anything right now and wait for sales. If your local pricing is the same as elsewhere these 2021 models are still overpriced.

The models I suggested from 2020 lineups work with VRR fine btw, LG CX is no worse than the C1 and the Q90T has 1x HDMI 2.1 port that supports 4k 120hz + VRR.

The models I suggested from 2020 lineups work with VRR fine btw, LG CX is no worse than the C1 and the Q90T has 1x HDMI 2.1 port that supports 4k 120hz + VRR.
isnt the vrr hdr broken in Q90T? The problem with gamma crush wasnt fixed as far as I remember?

Hey - yeah in EU from these screens it's only C1 and QN91a. Hisense panels are different and crappier, Vizio is not available. So basically that's my dilema atm and cause of burn in risk I think I will go for QN91a when it gets a bit cheaper.

edit: There is one alternative that I need to find more info about TCL 65C825. So far I can't find any proper reviews.

Last edited:
isnt the vrr hdr broken in Q90T? The problem with gamma crush wasnt fixed as far as I remember?
Its broken on every TV at the moment, including the new QN9xA models.

Its broken on every TV at the moment, including the new QN9xA models.
Is it the same issue in QN9xA models though? Cause I understand that local dimming just doesnt work properly in hdr vrr. Was it the case also with Q90T? Does it mean - turning off local dimming solves the problem?

Is it the same issue in QN9xA models though? Cause I understand that local dimming just doesnt work properly in hdr vrr. Was it the case also with Q90T? Does it mean - turning off local dimming solves the problem?
Its the same issue on every TV at the moment, including the new Samsung models. Gamma can't be tracked correctly frame to frame. Means in titles with fluctuating frame rate the picture can get darker, then brighter...low frame rate in a cave it can be unusable. Its part of the problem with new technology. This is why LG with the new 2021 models bring in a control where you can shift brightness up in darker parts of the image, its a workaround for an issue that isn't solvable.

The local dimming issue is something different entirely.

Its the same issue on every TV at the moment, including the new Samsung models. Gamma can't be tracked correctly frame to frame. Means in titles with fluctuating frame rate the picture can get darker, then brighter...low frame rate in a cave it can be unusable. Its part of the problem with new technology. This is why LG with the new 2021 models bring in a control where you can shift brightness up in darker parts of the image, its a workaround for an issue that isn't solvable.

OK I think I get it. Trying to find how this vrr issue looks on new QN91a models.

So the issue that Vincent spotted: - is it something major?
Cause it would mean that QN91a in VRR has flickering issue and also local dimming issue :|

I stopped believing these screens will be working properly ever...

OK I think I get it. Trying to find how this vrr issue looks on new QN91a models.

So the issue that Vincent spotted: - is it something major?
Cause it would mean that QN91a in VRR has flickering issue and also local dimming issue :|

I stopped believing these screens will be working properly ever...

Sadly no TV is perfect, but despite these problems it doesn't stop these TVs from being widely recommended. You may find after owning the TV its not as bad as you thought.

Its highly dependent on your own perception of these things, the type of games you play, the conditions you play in etc. Buy from a retailer with a good return policy, so if you are unhappy you can return the TV.

I wouldn't get so caught up with video reviews, and trying to spot things. Its going to be very different when you own the TV. Vincent himself always warns viewers in his videos not to judge the TVs picture quality in his video. He only uses it to showcase small differences between one TV and another. When you own either TV, you won't be able to compare, and won't notice finer details.

Which is the best 55" TV for ps5 with a budget of around £650?

I'm looking for a TV for my kid to play his Xbox Series X on.

I've got a budget of ~£600. Would prefer DV if poss. I've been looking at the Hisense range but I'm totally lost. I guess I'm not going to get him 120hz at the price range?

There are two TVs in the mid tier section of this guide which would be the models to look at for with a limited budget.

Beware that this kind of budget is not going to get a good all-round gaming TV, features like proper HDR and or 120hz VRR are reserved for high tier models. A TV having Dolby Vision does not mean it can display it problem free.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom