My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

@Dodgexander you mention disabling HDR on the cheaper TV's, is this essential ?
Reason I ask if I have a Samsung RU7100 in my Games Room and a LG CX in the Lounge, Series X connected to the Samsung and have UHD and HDR Enabled and never noticed any issues, obviously when I connect the Series X to the CX it blows the Samsung away but I don't get much game time in the lounge. Looking to get a Series S soon and will have that connected to the Samsung and then Series X in the Lounge.

If I have never noticed any issues should I still turn it off or am I just used to the rubbish image and should turn it off and get used to it ?

Son is 17 and just started his first full time job. Decided he wants to buy a series S and a new tv.

he’s never been big on the benefits of a good tv... so I’m having to sorta tell him 4k is great.

im just after a recommendation or 2 with regards to a tv that would be purely for gaming on a Xbox series S.

im not being lazy with regards to reading around/reviews etc....

just that I had a hisense picked out from this very thread, but then read on what hifi it has bad motion handling.
He plays a lot of fifa so that wouldn’t be ideal.

I was more hoping for anyone who has a series S, or series X.... and had bought a tv around the £550 max price to recommend etc.

many thanks.

@Dodgexander you mention disabling HDR on the cheaper TV's, is this essential ?
Reason I ask if I have a Samsung RU7100 in my Games Room and a LG CX in the Lounge, Series X connected to the Samsung and have UHD and HDR Enabled and never noticed any issues, obviously when I connect the Series X to the CX it blows the Samsung away but I don't get much game time in the lounge. Looking to get a Series S soon and will have that connected to the Samsung and then Series X in the Lounge.

If I have never noticed any issues should I still turn it off or am I just used to the rubbish image and should turn it off and get used to it ?
Try disabling HDR, I think you'll find it looks better. The RU7100 has no HDR hardware at all, not even a wide color gamut, so essentially you're worsening the picture quality by using it.

For some context (and on the topic of why HDR is best only used on higher end TVs) here's a user using it on the U7Q which is actually a lot better with HDR than other similarly priced TVs:
ust that I had a hisense picked out from this very thread, but then read on what hifi it has bad motion handling.
He plays a lot of fifa so that wouldn’t be ideal.
Motion handling remarks in reviews are 99% of the time related to video content and not games. Besides, there's actually a bug with the Hisense TVs where motion smoothing is enabled each time you launch an app, can be fixed by disabling fast start up on the TV. I expect that's what whathifi probably saw when testing the TV.

If you think that he prefers a TV with less motion blur consider reading up about the differences in panel tech between TVs in the guide that use IPS panels such as LGs (sans 50") and TVs that use VA panels such as Hisense.

Your budget won't stretch very far nowadays, but a TV like the Hisense U7Q will at least mean in some HDR titles the picture will look better than SDR.
I was more hoping for anyone who has a series S, or series X.... and had bought a tv around the £550 max price to recommend etc.
You're probably best searching the respective TV sub forums for owners feedback. You can always ask a question there if you don't find anything.
Here's an example. A search for gaming in the Hisense U7Q review thread:

Try disabling HDR, I think you'll find it looks better. The RU7100 has no HDR hardware at all, not even a wide color gamut, so essentially you're worsening the picture quality by using it.

For some context (and on the topic of why HDR is best only used on higher end TVs) here's a user using it on the U7Q which is actually a lot better with HDR than other similarly priced TVs:

Motion handling remarks in reviews are 99% of the time related to video content and not games. Besides, there's actually a bug with the Hisense TVs where motion smoothing is enabled each time you launch an app, can be fixed by disabling fast start up on the TV. I expect that's what whathifi probably saw when testing the TV.

If you think that he prefers a TV with less motion blur consider reading up about the differences in panel tech between TVs in the guide that use IPS panels such as LGs (sans 50") and TVs that use VA panels such as Hisense.

Your budget won't stretch very far nowadays, but a TV like the Hisense U7Q will at least mean in some HDR titles the picture will look better than SDR.

You're probably best searching the respective TV sub forums for owners feedback. You can always ask a question there if you don't find anything.

Thanks, will give it a go. Think it's Input Signal Plus via External Device Manager so will take a look and turn it off.

Thanks, will give it a go. Think it's Input Signal Plus via External Device Manager so will take a look and turn it off.
Try disabling it on the console if you can, since changing input signal plus will knock back your HDMI ports to v1.4.

Thanks m8. Really appreciate it. Cheers.

Has anyone looked into either the Hisense QLED 50E76GQTUK or the 50A7GQTUK. The former actually promotes itself as a great gaming TV. I was looking at the Hisense U7Q but the two mentioned have HDMI 2.1 which the U7Q doesn't. Can't find any reviews for either though

I turned off hdr on my Sony xf9005 and can't say I noticed any difference on ratchet and clank. Should I have seen a difference between hdr on and off?

Has anyone looked into either the Hisense QLED 50E76GQTUK or the 50A7GQTUK. The former actually promotes itself as a great gaming TV. I was looking at the Hisense U7Q but the two mentioned have HDMI 2.1 which the U7Q doesn't. Can't find any reviews for either though
They are new TVs in their 2021 lineup. Won't know any detail until they've been reviewed and some owners are able to report on their own findings.
I'd expect to make this guide for 2021 models at around the same time as last year so we will have a better idea of their capabilities by then.
I turned off hdr on my Sony xf9005 and can't say I noticed any difference on ratchet and clank. Should I have seen a difference between hdr on and off?

Would there be any advantage in going for a new Samsung UE50AU9000 over say an older UE50TU7020 if I'm only using it for PS5 and not interested in other services? Will the picture quality / response times for gaming be better on the newer unit?

Would there be any advantage in going for a new Samsung UE50AU9000 over say an older UE50TU7020 if I'm only using it for PS5 and not interested in other services? Will the picture quality / response times for gaming be better on the newer unit?
Nope, typically no gains made year to year. Initially I thought the new TVs were an improvement because they advertise 120hz, but they are in fact still using 60hz panels the same as last year.

The AU9000 is more like the TU8500 in features, although all the series have the same picture quality.

As with all my advice this time of year, its generally a bad idea to consider buying a new released model, they are too expensive. For PS5 gaming you really want to be looking at a high tier TV in the guide, although some mid tier and low tier options are fine if you disable HDR on the console.

Thanks for all the advice, I've just picked up a Hisense U7QF 50" for £399 with 5 year warranty from Costco which will do just fine until the 48 OLED units come down in price a bit.

I have problem with my 65u81qf with Channel Memory and most Red/green ghosting, that's why i want buy another TV.

I have problem with my 65u81qf with Channel Memory and most Red/green ghosting, that's why i want buy another TV.
You'll find it hard finding something better for similar money. For the same spec you could look at the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T/Q95T or you could consider going down a range to the Sony XH90 if HDR isn't important.

Currently in the market for a new TV as my current one is going to be passed on. Usage is a balance of gaming, streaming from various sources and a bit of sport. In terms of models (all 55"), I'm looking at either the Sony X90J (€1200) or the LG C1 (€1400). One retailer is offering to throw in colour calibration for the C1. I was considering the Samsung QN90 as well, though that is around €300 more expensive and therefore no longer in contention.

My biggest worry with the C1 would be burn in via subtitles, which we use for a lot of the streamed films/series, and that has been flagged as an issue by the rtings long term test. Anyone have any more information on what this might mean for mixed usage over the long term?

Currently in the market for a new TV as my current one is going to be passed on. Usage is a balance of gaming, streaming from various sources and a bit of sport. In terms of models (all 55"), I'm looking at either the Sony X90J (€1200) or the LG C1 (€1400). One retailer is offering to throw in colour calibration for the C1. I was considering the Samsung QN90 as well, though that is around €300 more expensive and therefore no longer in contention.

My biggest worry with the C1 would be burn in via subtitles, which we use for a lot of the streamed films/series, and that has been flagged as an issue by the rtings long term test. Anyone have any more information on what this might mean for mixed usage over the long term?
The X90J is not really a rival to the C1, you'd have to look at the X95J for that, but its only 65" and up.

But first decide on which technology is more suited to you, as its a bit like comparing an apple to an orange otherwise.

I guess the rtings.com remark you mention is this:

So you can see already what kind of usage to expect, 7200 hours before seeing burn in shouldn't be any different to the modern OLEDs.
Calculate on average how many hours you use your TV in a day, week and then year and you'll have an idea how soon you'll see the same results.

You could of course get lucky and get a newer EVO panel on the C1, but its not guaranteed unlike the G1 or Sony A80J/A90J. The newer panels are more durable.
There are measures you can take to reduce the risk of subtitles burning in if you are using apps for file playback. See:

If its regular broadcast TV though, where subtitles are more often big and bold, there's not much you can do, and depending how much you use the TV you will see burn in eventually.

One thing I would suggest is depending on local pricing you may be better looking at 2020 models listed as best buys in this guide instead. Usually you can make a healthy saving on buying last years models instead, which can mean you have more money to put forward to your next TV sooner.

The X90J is not really a rival to the C1, you'd have to look at the X95J for that, but its only 65" and up.

But first decide on which technology is more suited to you, as its a bit like comparing an apple to an orange otherwise.

I guess the rtings.com remark you mention is this:

So you can see already what kind of usage to expect, 7200 hours before seeing burn in shouldn't be any different to the modern OLEDs.
Calculate on average how many hours you use your TV in a day, week and then year and you'll have an idea how soon you'll see the same results.

You could of course get lucky and get a newer EVO panel on the C1, but its not guaranteed unlike the G1 or Sony A80J/A90J. The newer panels are more durable.
There are measures you can take to reduce the risk of subtitles burning in if you are using apps for file playback. See:

If its regular broadcast TV though, where subtitles are more often big and bold, there's not much you can do, and depending how much you use the TV you will see burn in eventually.

One thing I would suggest is depending on local pricing you may be better looking at 2020 models listed as best buys in this guide instead. Usually you can make a healthy saving on buying last years models instead, which can mean you have more money to put forward to your next TV sooner.

Thanks for the response! In the meantime, I've also discovered that the X90J is not actually available to me at 1200, but rather the same price as the C1. Sadly the Sony A80J seems to be far more expensive, locally at any rate.

I am aware I am very much comparing different panel tech and other gubbins. I guess part of the question comes down to breaking through my own decision paralysis.

According to the hours calculation I've done on the back of an envelope, I don't reckon I need to worry overly about subtitle burn in. Getting a CX instead would save around 300 as far as I can see currently. Hmmmm

I don't understand how people can think this is an acceptable thing to have to do. The reduction in size in that video makes them so small it's difficult to read.

I never had to do this on my plasma TV, I'm not convinced OLED is a good technology frankly think it's ridiculous you can't play games with HUDs, watching morning TV and now you need tiny subtitles.

I never had to do this on my plasma TV,
And you may never have to do it with an OLED either, Plasma TVs could, and would get burn in, the way you'd be at risk from burn in was different because the effect was not cumulative, but instead based on single sessions. But that doesn't mean OLEDs are worse at preventing burn in than Plasma, it could mean that some peoples usage is more dangerous with Plasma, and some OLED.

Playing games with huds generally isn't a problem btw, it depends a lot on the game. If its something like FIFA with the bright coloured huds it can be dangerous, but most huds are not like FIFA.

Even so, if you do the math unless you're using content like this regularly, the TV will likely outlive any burn in for most people. Its good rtings.com did the test they did, as the hours they found before receiving burn in are a good baseline for those wondering whether they'll receive it or not are at risk.

Just take your worse case scenario, for example your use of a single FIFA game, then divide the hours you play in to 5000.

I just bought sony 65xh90p on amazon (exclusive 2021), do you know if it`s the same model as xh9096 or x900h?

I just bought sony 65xh90p on amazon (exclusive 2021), do you know if it`s the same model as xh9096 or x900h?
It should be the same since the new model is X90J.

It's the same, i'm very Happy with this TV......finally.
Thanks for all.

All, I’m on the look for a new 43” set for the bedroom. Replacing an ancient 32” Samsung.
I’ve had a quick look on RS who have these in stock:

I was initially looking at the LG’s. There is the 7500 £379 & the 7700 £429. Not sure what the difference is for the money?
There are also 2 Philips models at the same price points although never had a Philips before.

All, I’m on the look for a new 43” set for the bedroom. Replacing an ancient 32” Samsung.
I’ve had a quick look on RS who have these in stock:

I was initially looking at the LG’s. There is the 7500 £379 & the 7700 £429. Not sure what the difference is for the money?
There are also 2 Philips models at the same price points although never had a Philips before.
If the LGs are prefix UP they are 2021-22 models and aren't in this guide. I will be doing another guide once it becomes more sensible to buy new stock. Presently you'll be looking at spending roughly 60-100 more for these TVs than they are worth.

To give you an idea of where they stand the UP7500 is the new UN7300 and the UP7700 is the new UN7500. Because these TVs are in the same model line, picture quality is the same, but the higher end model will have small differences. For example; the aesthetic design of the TV, or the number of HDMI ports.

Before picking out specific models, first take a read of the opening post of the guide. You must understand that 1. Because of HDR, there's little value nowadays in buying smaller TVs. 2. You have to decide which panel type is most suited to your viewing conditions and preferences.

With the best panel type known, you can then narrow down your choices. If you can I'd advise going for discounted 2020-21 stock rather than overpriced 2021-22 stock. I won't recommend 2021-22 models until around Black Friday onward this year.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom