My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

Looking at tv options and advice please.

We currently have a Samsung 55" UE55RU7470UXXU which was purchased last year.

Our setup:
Samsung 55" TV, Denon AVR, Sky Q, and a 5.1.2 speaker setup (Q Acoustics and minx for dolby atmos), firetv cube that controls it all and I just managed to get a xbox series x.

We can only go to 55" as we have a false chimney tv wall feature and our tv is recessed.

So, is it worth purchasing another new tv now to get the best out of the xbox or wait until prices come down and some new "must have" features become available and/or decent games become available for series x? Will a new tv give a massive & noticeable improvement over our current tv?

Budget is around £1k

We mainly watch sky q, Netflix and gaming
Definitely, if you can go for a high tier model. For gaming above everything else the Samsung Q90T would be a good option.

If you wanted to spend less and still retain all the gaming features then you're best bet is probably waiting for new TVs to come down in price, usually around black friday each year. They are too expensive to consider buying right now.

I'm currently looking for an interim tv (as this would be better than a monitor) to use with my PS5. So 4k and half decent HDR. I was told the 32" Q50R QLED Smart 4k Samsung was the one to grab but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK (think it's a 2019 model?).

My question is, what should I opt for? Monitors seem hit and miss, don't want to spend too much but do want a decent tv/screen. Like I said, this is to use at a different property (away from my main tv). Guessing tv is always the better option than a monitor? Any other 32 inch tv's that cover off 4k etc that I should be looking at?

Thanks.

There's no smaller TVs that are adequate to use with HDR. They will be about on-par with most HDR monitors.

For comparisons sake, the monitor standard HDR400 is about where all 43" and 40" TVs lay, 32" TVs tend to be even dimmer.

Once you step up to 49/50" then that's when you start to see proper HDR TVs, which would be around HDR1000.

I'd stick to SDR gaming for now, until there are proper HDR options at smaller sizes. You can read about HDR here:

Hello, this is my first post on this forum but I have been reading it for a long time.
I wanted advice on a 65 TV with 360 use but moslty videogame. I bought a 65q70t which I am rendering for excessive vertical banding and I was aiming for the 65u81qf. I know that for gaming it won't support VRR and 120hz in 4k but I don't think I miss it too much at the moment. Do you recommend it for use with ps5 / PC too?

Do you recommend it for use with ps5 / PC too?
It has a known motion blur problem which some people notice in games. May not bother you though, you'd have to try it and see.

All VA panels suffer from the same thing to a degree, Q70T would also have it, although perhaps not as bad as the U8Q.

For the money though you usually can't beat it, the competition are charging a lot more money for similar TVs.

Thanks for the reply, i must buy on Amazon and in Italy there's only available this model of TV for my budget. As you can see the 65q70t is very bad for vertical banding : YouTube

I know that LCD have Blur for fast image and i always disable all optimization because i hate artifact.
Anyway i think to buy the Hisense and i hope It is not too bad.

I have been lucky enough to get my hands on PS5 this week, however I was slightly disappointed in terms of what my Sony KD-49x8305C can do in bringing about massive improvements from the PS4. I've only tried AstroBots and COD ColdWar multiplayer so I maybe playing the wrong game or have the TV settings on the wrong configurations (I'm constantly lost as to what half of them do in terms of the picture)?

Unless I'm doing something really wrong, I have resigned myself over the last 24 hours to the fact I need to consider buying a new TV. I'm looking for something between 55"- 60", which will mainly be used for playing the PS5, and watching TV via apps - Netflix and Amazon Prime mostly but sometimes BBC iPlayer, ITV Player. I don't really want to spend much more than £1000 if it's possible but reading the guide at the start of this thread I guess I'm looking for something with HDMI 2:1 and HDR picture quality - is this right and any recommendations?

I have been lucky enough to get my hands on PS5 this week, however I was slightly disappointed in terms of what my Sony KD-49x8305C can do in bringing about massive improvements from the PS4. I've only tried AstroBots and COD ColdWar multiplayer so I maybe playing the wrong game or have the TV settings on the wrong configurations (I'm constantly lost as to what half of them do in terms of the picture)?

Unless I'm doing something really wrong, I have resigned myself over the last 24 hours to the fact I need to consider buying a new TV. I'm looking for something between 55"- 60", which will mainly be used for playing the PS5, and watching TV via apps - Netflix and Amazon Prime mostly but sometimes BBC iPlayer, ITV Player. I don't really want to spend much more than £1000 if it's possible but reading the guide at the start of this thread I guess I'm looking for something with HDMI 2:1 and HDR picture quality - is this right and any recommendations?
You just can't use HDR on that TV, disable HDR on the console and it should look fine.
If you want to game in HDR and use all the bells and whistles you just have to look at models in the high tier section of this guide.
If you want all the apps built in, you can look at the Samsung Q90T/Q95T or if you can't reach those, the Q80T.

You just can't use HDR on that TV, disable HDR on the console and it should look fine.
If you want to game in HDR and use all the bells and whistles you just have to look at models in the high tier section of this guide.
If you want all the apps built in, you can look at the Samsung Q90T/Q95T or if you can't reach those, the Q80T.
Thank you - I’ll have a look and try turning off the HDR

Hi,
Sorry if I am covering old ground here but I'm looking for some considered advice on a 49" or 50" TV for use with a PS5. I've read a lot of the way through this thread and I've come up with the following which fit my budget and the maximum sccreen size that I can get away with in the space I need to put it:

Samsung UE50TU8000​

Hisense 50AE7400FTUK​

Hisense 50U7QFTUK​

As I want to keep the cost under £500 I can't go for an LG 48" OLED and I can always plug the PS5 into my main TV (an LG 55" OLED) whenever the living room is free. This TV is to be dedicated to the PS5 and hooked up to an external amp and speakers so I'm not interested in sound quality or smart features, purely looking for the best picture possible for my budget. These options are all 50" as I believe these are VA panels which are the preference if I'm sitting straight in front of them.

Any particular thoughts on the choices above or should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Sorry if I am covering old ground here but I'm looking for some considered advice on a 49" or 50" TV for use with a PS5. I've read a lot of the way through this thread and I've come up with the following which fit my budget and the maximum sccreen size that I can get away with in the space I need to put it:

Samsung UE50TU8000​

Hisense 50AE7400FTUK​

Hisense 50U7QFTUK​

As I want to keep the cost under £500 I can't go for an LG 48" OLED and I can always plug the PS5 into my main TV (an LG 55" OLED) whenever the living room is free. This TV is to be dedicated to the PS5 and hooked up to an external amp and speakers so I'm not interested in sound quality or smart features, purely looking for the best picture possible for my budget. These options are all 50" as I believe these are VA panels which are the preference if I'm sitting straight in front of them.

Any particular thoughts on the choices above or should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks in advance.
The U7Q will be best, its the only one of the three that will mean in some titles you can game with HDR enabled on the console without too much trouble.

This post is great and Fully appreciate Ops contribution as I have learnt a lot, one thing that I can’t understand is how the Sony xh9505 is higher tier for gaming and the xh9005 is medium tier as it has 2.1 hdmi? Maybe I’m missing something?

This post is great and Fully appreciate Ops contribution as I have learnt a lot, one thing that I can’t understand is how the Sony xh9505 is higher tier for gaming and the xh9005 is medium tier as it has 2.1 hdmi? Maybe I’m missing something?
The XH9505 has better HDR capabilities, and HDR is, in my opinion far more important than HDMI 2.1.

Sony XH9005 also has some issues, it still hasn't received an update to work with VRR and also has a know blur problem in 120hz.

In other words, the XH9505 will make modern titles look a lot better, even when its limited to 60hz.

Of course if you look at other TVs that support 120hz, VRR and good HDR like the Samsung Q90T/Q95T or LGs OLEDs then you tick all boxes.

The XH9505 has better HDR capabilities, and HDR is, in my opinion far more important than HDMI 2.1.

Sony XH9005 also has some issues, it still hasn't received an update to work with VRR and also has a know blur problem in 120hz.

In other words, the XH9505 will make modern titles look a lot better, even when its limited to 60hz.

Of course if you look at other TVs that support 120hz, VRR and good HDR like the Samsung Q90T/Q95T or LGs OLEDs then you tick all boxes.

thank you for your reply, again fully appreciate your informative input. Today I was at Costco, the Sony xh9505 65inch has gone down to £863, the xh9005 65 inch was £30 cheaper, the XH95 is tempting but something is holding me back, maybe it’s the Q95T haha. I also realised that nothing can match oleds picture quality, just a shame LG oleds are over my desired budget and I have children whom watch YouTube all day. My aim is to buy a tv which provides excellent gaming & movie (Netflix, amazon prime etc) features but as you pointed out before each tv has it’s pros and cons. I’ll look into Samsung again . Thanks again dodge

Hi all. I'm currently using my Sony xf9005 for ps5 and general TV for Netflix etc.

Really looking for the best picture from the ps5 and tempted by the LG cx oled. Will I see a big enough improvement to warrant the extra cost?

A 65” XH9505 for £863 is insane value; if you are in the market for a tv, I wouldn’t hesitate and just buy it!!

Really looking for the best picture from the ps5 and tempted by the LG cx oled. Will I see a big enough improvement to warrant the extra cost?
Yes, OLEDs are in a different class when it comes to picture quality, especially when viewing in the dark.

A 65” XH9505 for £863 is insane value; if you are in the market for a tv, I wouldn’t hesitate and just buy it!!
I would have definitely pulled the trigger if it had 2.1 hdmi. The XH9005 65inch was only £730 a few weeks ago but I couldn’t find stock

I found 75q70r for a good price (1100€), it's a good choice in 2021 or better 65u81qf? On Samsung i've fear for DSE or banding....

hello everyone, I'm looking for a 40-43 inch TV monitor, to be used on a desk.
compatible with ps5 and xbox series x.
with a good hdr rendering I found almost nothing, based on the reviews of rtings and searching on the web I found:
Samsung: 43" the frame 2020 500cdm and better contrast ratio respect the 2021 model or 43 of Q60T both compatible with the vrr.
Otherwise the hisense 43a7gq, or the panasonic tx40jx800, or the 43hx940e. I don't know the maximum cdm of brightness.
also is interesting the philips 436M6VBPAB 1000nit and quantum dot filter.
it's impossible found a decent tv/monitor 40-43inch.

I found 75q70r for a good price (1100€), it's a good choice in 2021 or better 65u81qf? On Samsung i've fear for DSE or banding....
The Hisense U8Q is really more similar to the higher end Q90R than Q70R but it does come with some drawbacks. OS is more basic, there's more motion blur close to black which may bother you for gaming. The Q70R also has better gaming features.
Overall the Q70R is probably better if you're a gamer, but the Hisense will be more striking with HDR content.

Screen uniformity is truly luck of the draw, can be good and bad on both.
hello everyone, I'm looking for a 40-43 inch TV monitor, to be used on a desk.
compatible with ps5 and xbox series x.
with a good hdr rendering I found almost nothing, based on the reviews of rtings and searching on the web I found:
Samsung: 43" the frame 2020 500cdm and better contrast ratio respect the 2021 model or 43 of Q60T both compatible with the vrr.
Otherwise the hisense 43a7gq, or the panasonic tx40jx800, or the 43hx940e. I don't know the maximum cdm of brightness.
also is interesting the philips 436M6VBPAB 1000nit and quantum dot filter.
it's impossible found a decent tv/monitor 40-43inch.
The reason you've found nothing is because nothing exists yet sub 49" with adequate HDR capability. You'll be best keeping with what you have until the 42" OLEDs are released, probably that will be next year now.

43" TVs also tend to use 60hz panels, which isn't great for VRR due to the limited 48-60hz range and increased input lag/motion blur.

There are some monitors that have high peak brightness such as the Philips you mention, those will certainly be a lot better than TVs (which by comparison tend to be about 300 nits). They are however still not up there in overall quality to 49" or bigger TVs in the high tier section of this guide.

I play a lot of game but if the game support HDR content i think its better the quality of the TV panel and brightness. The motion surely is important as response time but for fast movement do you think the difference is so visible?

Is there anything in the super-cheap, £300-400 absolute max area for a 55" that would do as a budget, temporary TV? I'm moving house in August and will have space for a decent tv to use for 50% PS5 gaming, and 50% Movie/TV watching (UHD and HD - mainly streaming) - I'll be looking at buying a 2021 OLED (probably an A80/A84J) but only once they come down in price a bit, which will be November at the earliest, so may look at a stopgap to tide me over until then...

My last TV was a Panasonic G10 42" plasma, and I'm currently gaming on a 34" IPS 3440x1440 monitor (outputting at 4k and downscaled by the monitor) so frankly any TV from the last 5 years would probably be fine! :D

I play a lot of game but if the game support HDR content i think its better the quality of the TV panel and brightness. The motion surely is important as response time but for fast movement do you think the difference is so visible?
Its when there's dark bits that its most prominent, they smear as you move more on the U8Q. People do game and are happy with the TV for gaming, but its good to know in advance about the problem. Its not a general motion problem, only with specific moments.
Is there anything in the super-cheap, £300-400 absolute max area for a 55" that would do as a budget, temporary TV? I'm moving house in August and will have space for a decent tv to use for 50% PS5 gaming, and 50% Movie/TV watching (UHD and HD - mainly streaming) - I'll be looking at buying a 2021 OLED (probably an A80/A84J) but only once they come down in price a bit, which will be November at the earliest, so may look at a stopgap to tide me over until then...

My last TV was a Panasonic G10 42" plasma, and I'm currently gaming on a 34" IPS 3440x1440 monitor (outputting at 4k and downscaled by the monitor) so frankly any TV from the last 5 years would probably be fine! :D
I'd go for a cheap Hisense, Samsung or LG. LG will have less motion blur and better viewing angles, but worse contrast/blacks/screen uniformity. HDR of course will have to be kept disabled on cheap TVs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom