My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

HDMI 2.1 is a bit of a minefield.
Doesnt help most places dont let you search/filter sets by this feature.

I have approx £700 to spend, looking for a 55" but would be happy to drop to 50".
Only sets I can see in my budget are the LG Nanos, which seem to be poor in terms of picture quality/back lighting etc.

Is there any foresight into what the pricing will be on 2021s new sets?
Unsure if its worth settling for the limited options available currently, hoping some higher tier sets will drop in price when new sets are released, or just holding out hoping an HDMI 2.1 low/mid range 2021 set is in my price range.

Currently have a PS5, on a non-4k TV (Sony Bravia, so a decent set in terms of input lag, motion etc.)

I have approx £700 to spend, looking for a 55" but would be happy to drop to 50".
Only sets I can see in my budget are the LG Nanos, which seem to be poor in terms of picture quality/back lighting etc.

Unsure if its worth settling for the limited options available currently, hoping some higher tier sets will drop in price when new sets are released, or just holding out hoping an HDMI 2.1 low/mid range 2021 set is in my price range.

Currently have a PS5, on a non-4k TV (Sony Bravia, so a decent set in terms of input lag, motion etc.)
I’m by no means an expert. I have the Samsung 55 q80t and can recommend it for gaming/netflix. I don’t use it for anything else I know a lot of people have reported issues with motion blur when it comes to watching television. I paid around £800. Samsung had a redemption offer a few months back.

there’s good offers on the LG bx oled at the moment if you can stretch to that

It will remain a feature on more expensive TVs and upon release, TVs can even cost as much as 50% more than the ones they replace when first released too! But generally its not a bad idea to consider to spend more than £700 anyway on a TV nowadays, since HDR is much what you buy into and cheaper TVs don't cut it with HDR.

As you say, the LG Nano is about the only option if you want VRR, but its considered a poor choice by most people for everything else apart from VRR. A much better compromise would be the TVs mentioned in either the mid or high tier section of this guide. Samsung Q80T and above for LCD TVs, or the LG BX or above for OLED.

This is a great thread Dodgexander.

I am unfortunately stuck at the 40/43 size - I need a new TV for kids playroom, whch also happens to store the PS5. 9yr old Philips TV (which was quite nice when I got it!) now malfunctioning, so new TV required.

So - budget isnt really my limitation, its size - but that doesnt seem to help. At this size everything is a bit weak. I definitely need at least 3 HDMI which amazingly rules some TVs. I'd love to have high refresh rate and HDR, but that doesn't seem possible. The Sony 8505 (100Hz) is now £550, but not sure it is worth the extra given lack of decent HDR, and I cant even see that it has the input to do 4k/120? Is the LG UN8100 (£430) the best option? Or Hisense 7400 for £350?

Last edited:
This is a great thread Dodgexander.

I am unfortunately stuck at the 40/43 size - I need a new TV for kids playroom, whch also happens to store the PS5. 9yr old Philips TV (which was quite nice when I got it!) now malfunctioning, so new TV required.

So - budget isnt really my limitation, its size - but that doesnt seem to help. At this size everything is a bit weak. I definitely need at least 3 HDMI which amazingly rules some TVs. I'd love to have high refresh rate and HDR, but that doesn't seem possible. The Sony 8505 (100Hz) is now £550, but not sure it is worth the extra given lack of decent HDR, and I cant even see that it has the input to do 4k/120? Is the LG UN8100 (£430) the best option? Or Hisense 7400 for £350?
You won't get 4k 120hz because you need a TV to have a HDMI 2.1 port for that and all smaller TVs only use HDMI 2.0 or even HDMI 1.4.

The Sony XH85 will do 120hz at 1080p, maybe 1440p with reduced chroma.

My mantra is basically to buy cheap if you are shopping for a small TV, because there's not really anything fantastic to buy period. A TV like the Sony XH85 is certainly a small upgrade over cheaper models with its 120hz panel, but only really for sport rather than games. It also costs a lot more.

First determine which panel type is suited between VA and IPS and take your choice from there from the budget TVs in the guide. If an IPS panel is preferred there are better value TVs than the LG UN8100 such as the UN7300 or UN7400 and if you prefer VA, there are different options again such as the Hisense A series you mention.

UE50AU9000KXXU, Samsung 2021 50" AU9000 Crystal UHD | Box.co.uk hey can I get some advice I’m interested In this tv for my ps5 but wanted some advice if it Will be any good the features and the slim bezel caught my eye
I think we have already been discussing it in another thread, but no its not a good buy and you are best buying a 2020 model in the guide here at a discount, rather than overpaying for new 2021 stock. That TV should be priced the same as the current TU series, don't be fooled to think because its more expensive and a year younger that its a better TV.

55 Q90T, £959, 1 year warranty.
Or
55 X900H, £799, 5 year warranty.

Dark room.
Ps5.
Normal sitting distance.
90% usage is gaming
Help!

55 Q90T, £959, 1 year warranty.
Or
55 X900H, £799, 5 year warranty.

Dark room.
Ps5.
Normal sitting distance.
90% usage is gaming
Help!
If you are wanting to play the PS5 in 120hz mode in some games, the Sony has a problem with blur that can't be solved. The Q90T also has more gaming centered features in addition to 120hz support and it also is more suited to a dark room with better blooming suppression.

You aren't far off affording TVs like the LG BX which has dropped beneath 1k today at JL with a 5 year warranty, an OLED will be much more suited to gaming in dark conditions provided you don't play games regularly that have a lot of bright, colourful static elements.

If you are wanting to play the PS5 in 120hz mode in some games, the Sony has a problem with blur that can't be solved. The Q90T also has more gaming centered features in addition to 120hz support and it also is more suited to a dark room with better blooming suppression.

You aren't far off affording TVs like the LG BX which has dropped beneath 1k today at JL with a 5 year warranty, an OLED will be much more suited to gaming in dark conditions provided you don't play games regularly that have a lot of bright, colourful static elements.
Great deal, but burn in scares me.
When i play a game, i can sometimes play for hours at a time. Many of the games i play have static HUDS that are on the screen constantly.
I imagine that would be an issue with an OLED? If so would the q90t be a better option. 1 year warranty is a worry though

When i play a game, i can sometimes play for hours at a time. Many of the games i play have static HUDS that are on the screen constantly.
I imagine that would be an issue with an OLED? If so would the q90t be a better option. 1 year warranty is a worry though

Depends on the game. Check out the OLED burn in risk thread above. A game like call of duty has huds but isn't high risk, whereas a game like FIFA is.

The Q90T is more similar to the XH9505 than the XH9005. If you are comparing the Q90T to the XH9005 then the Q90T will be the winner.

If you buy from JL they do a extended warranty for £140 -5years and it DOES cover screen burn 👍

Rtings.com is going to start a new burn in test in 2021. This test will give a clear indication of how the engineering changes since 2017 have affected the possibility of OLED Burn In. One thing is for certain, the possibility of burn in has decreased over the years.

As Dodgexander's "OLED Burn IN Risk" thread says, the possibility of OLED Burn In can get overblown on social media. Gadgetobssessed did a poll on AVForums and it showed that 35% of 2017 OLEDs experienced burn in. This is a clear example of how crazy things can get on social media.

Since there are practically zero reports of Burn In on 2018 and newer OLEDs compared to the 10 million OLEDs sold, even on social media, it is clear that the engineering and/or manufacturing improvements have increased the lifespan of OLED TVs.

Last edited:
If you buy from JL they do a extended warranty for £140 -5years and it DOES cover screen burn 👍
Its not the warranty, but extra insurance you can buy that includes burn in.

Hi Guy's a question for Dodge or anyone else who can offer some advice :thumbsup:

My Daughter and her partner are looking for two 50"/55" 4k tv's and they are big gamers but don't have that much cash to splash around £500 per tv, less would be better.

They have a wish list (who hasn't) for their budget some of those want's ain't happening I know. They have both just got PS5's and this will be their first 4k tv. They will both be using their tv's sat directly in front so no prob with off axis viewing.

Their wants, as many as possible please:)
4k/Game mode/HDR 10+/HDMI 2.1 if possible/HLG/Good blacks/Good brightness and contrast

Hgig certification/Low input lag 40ms desirable/VRR / ALLM or 120hz desirable but maybe out of the price range

They have suggested the two Samsung models below so can any of you knowledgeable gents suggest some good alternatives please

SAMSUNG UE50TU7100/ UE50TU8500

I have seen this Hisense how does this stack up as it has had good reviews on here in the past

Amazon product ASIN B089N6ZYWG
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Guy's a question for Dodge or anyone else who can offer some advice :thumbsup:

My Daughter and her partner are looking for two 50"/55" 4k tv's and they are big gamers but don't have that much cash to splash around £500 per tv, less would be better.

They have a wish list (who hasn't) for their budget some of those want's ain't happening I know. They have both just got PS5's and this will be their first 4k tv. They will both be using their tv's sat directly in front so no prob with off axis viewing.

Their wants, as many as possible please:)
4k/Game mode/HDR 10+/HDMI 2.1 if possible/HLG/Good blacks/Good brightness and contrast

Hgig certification/Low input lag 40ms desirable/VRR / ALLM or 120hz desirable but maybe out of the price range

They have suggested the two Samsung models below so can any of you knowledgeable gents suggest some good alternatives please

SAMSUNG UE50TU7100/ UE50TU8500

I have seen this Hisense how does this stack up as it has had good reviews on here in the past

Amazon product ASIN B089N6ZYWG
Cheers

I can't comment on some of the newer features but I have owned a Hisense for around 4 years now and mainly use it for gaming. Can't remember the exact model but it is a 4K HDR 55" and looking at the price point, it is probably the equivalent of what is in your link, albeit an older model. I really, really like it. In an ideal world I would have an OLED with all the bells and whistles, but money as ever dictates and I have always liked the price point of Hisense TVs - you get a lot of bang for your buck. They can be picked a part for lacking in certain areas but so can any TV and these are a lot cheaper than those. If their budget is £500 per TV I personally don't think you can go too wrong with a Hisense.

I also have a Hisense 4k 43" which I use as my computer monitor and it only cost me £275 IIRC and it does the job more than Ok and has been reliable. HDR on the tv is not much cop but I didn't expect it to be at that price.

My other daughter has a 50" 4k Hisense from about 3-4yrs back, also still going strong which was about £450 IIRC which at the time was cheap as chips when compared to others.

Fortunately I have a 65" Panny GZ950 OLED for my main tv which is superb in every aspect it did cost £1800 though.:D

@kbfern I think unfortunately your daughter and partner are falling in to the same trap as many people do with a limited budget. HDR is basically a no-no on cheaper TVs. You need really to step up to a high tier model in this guide, or at very least a mid tier. Cheaper TVs accept the signal, but they won't display it well.

Probably the best compromise would be to get the Hisense U7Q which does get to around 700 nits of peak brightness. It will be okay in some titles more than others, but a whole lot better with HDR than similar priced alternatives from other brands.

I'd definitely say its worth saving up longer, since a large part of gaming visuals now is HDR, and you'll only get a similar experience to your Hisense by spending £500 on a TV today. If you want both HDR and high refresh rate then the cost goes up even more I'm afraid.

After reading a long thread on the Hisense U7QFT on the Hisense forum I am in a bit of a quandary, from a lot of posts it sounds like the tv is a dud:eek:.

Quite a few buyers have had lots of issues and there has been quite a lot of those buyers sent them back for a refund.

Where can we go from here, a different model from Hisense or a different manufacturer?

The U7QFT looked so promising from Phils review and the specs were great for the cost of the set especially now it's at around £500.

Appreciate what you say Dodge but as they need 2 tv's and just spent out nearly £800 on 2 new PS5's, £500 each tv is all they can afford and willing to shell out.

They do appreciate any £500 set will have it's limitations and the U7Q looked as though it could do a job but reading the thread on the set has been disappointing and off-putting so any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate what you say Dodge but as they need 2 tv's and just spent out nearly £800 on 2 new PS5's, £500 each tv is all they can afford and willing to shell out.

They do appreciate any £500 set will have it's limitations and the U7Q looked as though it could do a job but reading the thread on the set has been disappointing and off-putting so any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
The U7Q is better than other TVs at a similar price, but it still carries some of the same drawbacks. It has local dimming and higher peak brightness, but the dimming is very rudimentary, and peak brightness for HDR is still low. Basically you have to set your expectations accordingly when spending less, and expect problems with the TV handling HDR if it doesn't meet the generally accepted baseline of good local dimming + 1000 nits of peak brightness.

Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't things other cheaper TVs do better than the Hisense, just saying they aren't without their problems either. Hisense are new to the game so picture processing isn't as good, firmware can be buggy, but the U7Q makes up for it by offering at least a little bit of HDR performance in titles that don't demand high peak nits.

HDR on TVs doesn't show a linear picture quality gain like SDR. If you don't buy a TV that can display it properly then you get problems. What's even worse about this is it often is hard to avoid HDR. If you are using a console with the TV, at least you can disable on the console side though.

I think if you are going to game in SDR, and you are happy to accept problems if you use HDR on the TV (sometimes unavoidable) there's nothing wrong with the low tier models in this guide. Just don't expect them to be any better than what they are already using.

By the way the tv is available as a 50" as well as the 55" which was the thread with the bad feeback. Is it possible the 50" screen would be any different in reliability/issues. I am clutching a straws here:(

By the way the tv is available as a 50" as well as the 55" which was the thread with the bad feeback. Is it possible the 50" screen would be any different in reliability/issues. I am clutching a straws here:(
There's bad feedback on every TV. Unless the TV is not popular, in which case there are less people to comment on the bad feedback. All sizes of the U7Q should be identical.

All comes down to where to make your compromises. Some people may be put off by the fact Hisense use a very basic and buggier smart OS and prefer to go with Samsung instead. But then if you go with Samsung instead you basically get unusable HDR in all titles.

Should think about panel types too. VA panels have more blur than IPS. So they may prefer one panel type over another.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom