My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

Then you are making the same mistake everyone does when shopping for a TV (myself included). Reading too much into problems other people face.

There's two main factors that can contribute to an issue thread:

1. Users are not going to post when they do not have a problem.
  2. If the TV is popular (which the Samsung models are) then you are going to see far more people have a problem than if a TV is not popular.

A lot of the time its their own eyes or their own sources that cause the problem. You have to try a TV itself first before you can decide whether the motion is bad or not. Sometimes (more rarely) they may have a specific problem with their TV or source.

Then what are these people seeing that other people aren't I wonder?

I have come to the realisation that there is no perfect television now. Has to be a trade-off somewhere. 🙂

Apart from my my first TV ever, a wood panelled CRT hand me down with a mechanical tuner and buttons. That was perfect and worked great with my Spectrum and then Master System and SNES. I even managed to get Channel 5 over the aerial once (although fuzzy)!

Its not a case of can't display it, it can and the chances are if you try the TV you will also be happy with how it displays it. You can't decide on such things without owning the TV first.

Perhaps it would be different if every owner that was happy created a thread stating how happy they were with the motion, but that won't happen on a community that in part is mostly where people come when they have a problem, not where they come when there's not.

If in doubt you could ask other owners in the owners thread. My friend @Eddy555 recently bought a Samsung and stated he hasn't notice the problem.

What a farce, they should have upgraded you to the Q900T or Q950T not the Q700T. That TV performs worse than even the Q80T!

Mind you, upgrade is a strong word. Even the Q900T/Q950T doesn't seem to perform better than the Q90T/Q95T in tests!

Cheers. Yeah I declined the TV. In fairness to RS, they went out of their way to make amends so I'll be back to them when either the Q95T comes back into stock....or I might take a second look at LG CX.

So with Black Friday come and gone, when do you expect to see the next round of deals? The purchase I had made was 55' Q95T with a free Samsung HWS60T soundbar €1399. Would have also got another 100 euro off via Samsung refer a friend. so €1299 total.

Am I likely to see a better deal than that anytime soon?

Then what are these people seeing that other people aren't I wonder?
I'm not sure, but everyone is different and everyone comes from watching something else. Before I researched the market each TV purchase I used to go on what I can best describe as a rampage to spot motion problems people had in each owners thread/forum to try and find which model was the best but I soon learnt that I am lucky not to be one of these people since I seem to be happy with the motion on even cheap 60hz models.

The only time I had a problem with motion was adjusting from a Plasma to an LCD TV, but that took only a few days.

Try not to overthink it, buy from a reputable place so if you do end up having a problem you can return the TV.
Cheers. Yeah I declined the TV. In fairness to RS, they went out of their way to make amends so I'll be back to them when either the Q95T comes back into stock....or I might take a second look at LG CX.

So with Black Friday come and gone, when do you expect to see the next round of deals? The purchase I had made was 55' Q95T with a free Samsung HWS60T soundbar €1399. Would have also got another 100 euro off via Samsung refer a friend. so €1299 total.

Am I likely to see a better deal than that anytime soon?
Can only go on historical trends. Black Friday is only the first time it becomes reasonable to buy, its not the best usually. Sometimes there are discounts also in Xmas/January sales but the best prices come in clearance close to when the new TVs come out. So that will probably be around spring-summer 2021.

Of course the pandemic may change that a bit, TVs may sell out sooner. We don't know for sure.
Experience does teach me that these free soundbar deals are just a mask so they don't have to reduce the TV. It usually means they will reduce the TV later when the soundbar deal isn't active. They will need stock to do that though.

Can only go on historical trends. Black Friday is only the first time it becomes reasonable to buy, its not the best usually. Sometimes there are discounts also in Xmas/January sales but the best prices come in clearance close to when the new TVs come out. So that will probably be around spring-summer 2021.

Of course the pandemic may change that a bit, TVs may sell out sooner. We don't know for sure.
Experience does teach me that these free soundbar deals are just a mask so they don't have to reduce the TV. It usually means they will reduce the TV later when the soundbar deal isn't active. They will need stock to do that though.

Ouch, I definitely cant see myself waiting until Spring/Summer as my current TV has a terrible shadow covering the top half of it due to what looks like broken backlight.

If I'd gone with Harvey Norman I'd have got the same deal and have my TV by now. Tough to take as all in all I was really happy with everything for €1299.

Ouch, I definitely cant see myself waiting until Spring/Summer as my current TV has a terrible shadow covering the top half of it due to what looks like broken backlight.

If I'd gone with Harvey Norman I'd have got the same deal and have my TV by now. Tough to take as all in all I was really happy with everything for €1299.
Prices shouldn't any more expensive than now, even if they don't drop again until then. As I said though, the free soundbar deal wasn't really a good deal. It usually preempts a discount on the actual TV. The Q90T should be selling for similar kind of money to the Sony XH9505.

Prices shouldn't any more expensive than now, even if they don't drop again until then. As I said though, the free soundbar deal wasn't really a good deal. It usually preempts a discount on the actual TV. The Q90T should be selling for similar kind of money to the Sony XH9505.

Same for Q95T with the one connect box?

Same for Q95T with the one connect box?
A bit more expensive than the Q90T but it shouldn't be a large difference. Gotta remember than this years Q90T/Q95T are not similar to last years Q90R with picture quality. They are more like the cheaper Q85R. In clearance that TV was selling for £800 in the UK, so that gives you an idea of the cost of the TV and how much wiggle room there is for discount.

I'd say around £1000 would be a good price for the Q90T, perhaps less. Then add whatever you want on top of that for the luxury of the separate box.

@Dodgexander

Thanks for the information, so helpful (y)

So, for all you to know, I read about motion blurr and soap opera effects, that most tvs has enable the option so that effect occurs, because 24 fps would be like jumping( and so this effect?).

Sony has ''xmotion clarity'', in samsung in a model it was ''picture clarity'' option some say.

I mean, this kind of perfomances that makes the image in movement blurring are all corrected setting off those configurations right? They are not permanent or have to get use to it right?

I mean, this kind of perfomances that makes the image in movement blurring are all corrected setting off those configurations right? They are not permanent or have to get use to it right?
you can customise them completely. Turn them off, whatever you like.
So, for all you to know, I read about motion blurr and soap opera effects, that most tvs has enable the option so that effect occurs, because 24 fps would be like jumping( and so this effect?).
Some people like to use it to remove judder and stutter, others hate it. You can tweak it how you please.

Try not to overthink it, buy from a reputable place so if you do end up having a problem you can return the TV.

Can you actually return a TV if you have opened and used it and find it not suitable?

The John Lewis website seems to prohibit this and says it must "be unused and in their original condition (including all labels and tags intact)."

This worries me because if I do buy from them and it's not appropriate I'm stuck.

@heliocentric

Currys have an extended return policy at the moment, anything brought before 24th of December can be returnde up to 14th of Jan, regardless of it being opened or not... if Currys is an optuion for you hopefully that helps?

@DodgeI am loving my 48cx! Great advice!

I was going to buy a very low cost 70inch (UE70TU7020) and was offered a good deal on a Samsung 85" Q60 for £2k or a Q70 82" for £2.3k. If spending more money and going bigger gaming, gaming will and off axis viewing will be an important consideration.

Do you advise against these large screen models?

Viewing will often be off axis for most of the time with two sofas on either side of the room with the TV being centred. There is only a love seat centered on the TV. Viewing distance is around 3.5 meters away

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
@heliocentric

Currys have an extended return policy at the moment, anything brought before 24th of December can be returnde up to 14th of Jan, regardless of it being opened or not... if Currys is an optuion for you hopefully that helps?

I try and avoid Currys if possible tbh.

Can you actually return a TV if you have opened and used it and find it not suitable?

The John Lewis website seems to prohibit this and says it must "be unused and in their original condition (including all labels and tags intact)."

This worries me because if I do buy from them and it's not appropriate I'm stuck.
There are people on the forum who have returned 10 TVs. The part of the return policy you quote is if you don't have a problem with the product, and wish to return because you have made a bad decision.

In the UK you are protected by law to return within 30 days if there's a fault with the product, and even if there isn't most good retailers will let you return the TV with a restocking fee (like Richer Sounds).
Costco also have very good service.
@DodgeI am loving my 48cx! Great advice!

I was going to buy a very low cost 70inch (UE70TU7020) and was offered a good deal on a Samsung 85" Q60 for £2k or a Q70 82" for £2.3k. If spending more money and going bigger gaming, gaming will and off axis viewing will be an important consideration.

Do you advise against these large screen models?

Viewing will often be off axis for most of the time with two sofas on either side of the room with the TV being centred. There is only a love seat centered on the TV. Viewing distance is around 3.5 meters away

Thanks for the help.
thanks.
All the TVs you mention are in the alternate TVs I struggle to recommend section, so I've already evaluated their value and I don't judge them as best buys. For a low cost budget TV the best deal I've recently seen is the recommended TCL 75C815 which I think was for sale for less than 1k at Costco.

With John Lewis? For what reason? All the same television?
Usually people who return multiples is down to screen uniformity. John Lewis is popular because they have good service. I'm not sure the likes or Curry's would allow you multiple returns and if they did, they'd make it difficult. Usually different TVs, but not always.

There's a key difference between returning a TV because you don't like it and what you regard as a fault. There's no obligation for a retailer to accept a return if there's no fault, which is why its important you buy from somewhere with good service who are more likely to regard motion problems and poor screen uniformity as a fault compared to somewhere like Currys.

I've actually seen Currys tell people their TVs screen uniformity is acceptable when the TV looks beyond repair.

I've started an FAQ for the Q90T/Q95T to start gathering together the knowledge on the TV so maybe that will help prosepctive buyers.

Hey there, also helpful (y), one thing, in the beginning of the charts, there is: sdr game mode, can it not be hdr game mode?

Now interested in the samsung q90t along xh90, so comparing them, hdr is better more nits in the q90t, but samsung does not have dolby vision, dont know if dolby audio yes and also earc instead of arc connector (Is that so how they are called? lot of things to look about in a tv about audio and hdr10plus against having dolby)

Last edited:
How is dolby vision important nowadays? The XH90 has it, Q90T not, but instead hdr10plus. The Dolby Vision one I mean, dont know about the audio one, along earc (not arc)

In terms of gaming, and in terms of watching tv or suscripction services, might get dolby vision, instead of hdr10plus, be something to care about in the future?

It is tricky, there are lot of things to watch out about buying a tv: dolby vision vs hdr10plus and also having dolby audio and earc, thanks for commenting (y)

Last edited:
@Jotatvsmonitors I responded in another thread about HDR here: Question - What TV would you recommend I upgrade to (or should I wait?)

Don't get so focussed on HDR formats. Focus instead on how good a TV is at displaying HDR to begin with. A TV like the XH90 may have Dolby Vision HDR support, but its not really a good HDR TV because its peak brightness isn't very good.

As I said in the link, HDR still works on any TV even if there's no HDR10+ or Dolby Vision support, via the HDR10 inner layer.

The Q90T will be a lot better displaying Dolby Vision HDR content than the Sony because it is a better HDR TV. If you want similar kind of performance and dolby vision support you need to look at the Sony XH95, not the XH90.

EDIT* since this is strictly a gaming thread. Also be aware that as yet no TV will even let you game with VRR together with Dolby Vision, so its really not something I think people should worry about so much.

Last edited:
EDIT* since this is strictly a gaming thread. Also be aware that as yet no TV will even let you game with VRR together with Dolby Vision, so its really not something I think people should worry about so much.

pretty sure the LGCX does with VRR but not freesync

pretty sure the LGCX does with VRR but not freesync
You're right, it does.

Ok, one more thing about the audio and hdr:

Audio: The console, ps5 or series x, or whatver, should not be in the earc hdmi (2.1) connector right? Althought there is the famous Pulse 3d headset wireless, but it is connected to the console. (Yes, I dont understand about tvs)

That connector is only for sound equipments right?

HDR: So, I read about differences about HDR: hdr10>hdr10plus>dolby vision

Then for example sony xh95 has till dolby vision, but the tv gets to the 4,000 nits that are the minium of dolby? (because I read dolby is : 4,000 - 10,000 nits)
Or does this work like that? Or that every nit in dolby is better than hdr10, is that how it works?

I think I'm going to wait till the new year and see if prices drop some more anyway but right now I can get a 55 Q90T for £80 more than a 55 XH9505. Is that a more reasonable price difference to consider going for the Q90T? It sounds like it would be a preferred choice, but not for the extra £200 it usually is.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom