My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

Vincent still agrees though, takeaway the CX if you're worried about burn in, and the reamining 2 are best for console gaming. AND they all feature in the list, so...
So out of the 3 in that video LGCX is the best next is the sony XH90 next and samsung Q90T 3rd as it looks the worst in game mode

Last edited:
and yet still by the above hdtv test video it looks the worst out the 3
Never ever compare TVs in a video. Even Vincent himself says that. He only shows them to demonstrate what he sees.

What you see on the other end could be completely different.

If you really think despite being an entry level FALD model the XH9005 is a better gaming TV than the Samsung Q90T then you can save yourself a lot of money. If I were you I'd be worried about using HDR on a TV with around 750 nits peak brightness, and also worried about the 4k 120hz blur issue.

So currently Q90T works well in game mode with VRR and HDR?
They fixed the problem of having worse picture quality inside game mode.
The problems that are present with all TVs with VRR aren't fixed and still detailed in the opening post.
There's never been a problem with HDR.

The problems that are present with all TVs with VRR

What exactly here is HDMI VRR?
On Rtings I see that this tv has gsync compatibility and also freesync. Does that mean, that it has only problem with HDMI Forum VRR? Or is it basically each of those modes?

Hi all,
what an informative thread, thanks for all contributions.

Does anyone know if the firmware update on the CX released on the 24th fixed the “known” VRR issue or just improved on its current format

thanks

What exactly here is HDMI VRR?
On Rtings I see that this tv has gsync compatibility and also freesync. Does that mean, that it has only problem with HDMI Forum VRR? Or is it basically each of those modes?
Which TV?
You should read the opening post. The problem is caused by each frame having different levels of gamma, it doesn't matter if its gsync, freesync.

The guide has each supported mode listed. Gsync is part of the LG OLEDs but not Samsung LCD TVs. The Samsung models will work with HDMI 2.1 VRR though...they call it 'G Sync Compatible' but its not the same as a true Gsync TV.
Does anyone know if the firmware update on the CX released on the 24th fixed the “known” VRR issue or just improved on its current format
It fixed an issue of flicker when in VRR mode but not the gamma shift. The gamma shift is present on al TVs with VRR and its uncertain as yet whether it can even be fixed.

Which TV?
You should read the opening post. The problem is caused by each frame having different levels of gamma, it doesn't matter if its gsync, freesync.

The guide has each supported mode listed. Gsync is part of the LG OLEDs but not Samsung LCD TVs. The Samsung models will work with HDMI 2.1 VRR though...they call it 'G Sync Compatible' but its not the same as a true Gsync TV.

It fixed an issue of flicker when in VRR mode but not the gamma shift. The gamma shift is present on al TVs with VRR and its uncertain as yet whether it can even be fixed.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying for me

I bought the Q95T due to it offering the best HDR out of the current generation 4k tv's and I haven't been disappointed. HDR looks amazing. As vincent says in the video the Q90T offers the best HDR and colour volume out of the 3. This was a priority for me, I love how good HDR pops. Also my rooms are quite bright so as much as I would liked to have tried a CX, i just had a fear of it getting washed out.

I have not experienced any issues with VRR and HDR. The only thing I did experience twice on series X launch day was twice the screen locked up with multiple horizontal lines. It happened when changing to a 120hz source from a lower hz source. A reset of the xbox sorted it. I then got a firmware update for the tv later that day and its never happened since. I have a feeling it was a handshaking problem with the change in hz.

Also when vincent has run the backlight bloom test, that looks far worse due to the camera. I had a similar problem trying to film a bad panel on my previous KS9000, it was a bad panel but filming it made it look massively worse. There is some bloom on the Q95T, but it is minimal for me. I hardly notice it, unless i actively look for it.

I am enjoying the Q95T that much, that I have ordered one for the living room as well now.

First a big thank you to everyone's contributions - it has certainly helped me gain a better insight into the various top models (even if it has made me even more indecisive!)

I'm looking to upgrade from a 10 year old 3D plasma (so already used to deep blacks and decent viewing angles) for an incoming PS5 over the coming months. I've searched these forums, then referred to video reviews then back to these forums and so on.

The shortlist seems to be Samsung Q85T/Q90T or the Sony XH90/92 variants. On paper the Sony's HDMI 2.1 and dolby vision support seems to make it most future-proof for gaming/netflix/apple TV. However the above Samsung models tend to have better viewing angles & peak brightness. Not considering BX/CX at present (rightly or wrongly) due to burn-in concerns.

My question is as follows:

Does the lack of dolby vision amongst the Samsung TVs really matter? Netflix and Apple TV seem to only support that (as opposed to HDR 10+) and therefore it appears to be the future standard of choice.

I bought the Q95T due to it offering the best HDR out of the current generation 4k tv's and I haven't been disappointed. HDR looks amazing. As vincent says in the video the Q90T offers the best HDR and colour volume out of the 3. This was a priority for me, I love how good HDR pops. Also my rooms are quite bright so as much as I would liked to have tried a CX, i just had a fear of it getting washed out.

I have not experienced any issues with VRR and HDR. The only thing I did experience twice on series X launch day was twice the screen locked up with multiple horizontal lines. It happened when changing to a 120hz source from a lower hz source. A reset of the xbox sorted it. I then got a firmware update for the tv later that day and its never happened since. I have a feeling it was a handshaking problem with the change in hz.

Also when vincent has run the backlight bloom test, that looks far worse due to the camera. I had a similar problem trying to film a bad panel on my previous KS9000, it was a bad panel but filming it made it look massively worse. There is some bloom on the Q95T, but it is minimal for me. I hardly notice it, unless i actively look for it.

I am enjoying the Q95T that much, that I have ordered one for the living room as well now.
This is exactly why its not good to judge a TV from what you see in comparison videos! I'm glad you are so happy with the TV.
First a big thank you to everyone's contributions - it has certainly helped me gain a better insight into the various top models (even if it has made me even more indecisive!)

I'm looking to upgrade from a 10 year old 3D plasma (so already used to deep blacks and decent viewing angles) for an incoming PS5 over the coming months. I've searched these forums, then referred to video reviews then back to these forums and so on.

The shortlist seems to be Samsung Q85T/Q90T or the Sony XH90/92 variants. On paper the Sony's HDMI 2.1 and dolby vision support seems to make it most future-proof for gaming/netflix/apple TV. However the above Samsung models tend to have better viewing angles & peak brightness. Not considering BX/CX at present (rightly or wrongly) due to burn-in concerns.

My question is as follows:

Does the lack of dolby vision amongst the Samsung TVs really matter? Netflix and Apple TV seem to only support that (as opposed to HDR 10+) and therefore it appears to be the future standard of choice.
No problem!
The guide ranks the TVs in priority, so the Sony models you are looking at are lower tier than the Samsung ones. The Samsung ones have 1x HDMI 2.1 port and the Sony XH90/92 2x HDMI 2.1 ports. The Sony's XH90/92 HDR capability is a lot poorer with a peak brightness of only 750 nits which is why these TVs are not in the high tier section of this guide.

Instead of these on a limited budget you are actually better off looking at the Sony XH9505 or Hisense U8Q instead and forgoing HDMI 2.1 if you intend to use HDR titles in games.

Of course if you can stretch to it, the Q90T is the best of both worlds. Both HDMI 2.1 and good HDR picture quality. The Q85T is also better than the XH90/XH92 but more slightly.

To answer your question though, if a TV doesn't support Dolby Vision or HDR10+ it will still work with HDR using the basic HDR10 layer. The sheer ability for one TV to display HDR better than another is more important than its format support. For example, The Samsung Q90T/Q95T is a lot better at displaying HDR the Sony XH90/XH92 so despite not using Dolby Vision, playing Dolby Vision titles via the HDR10 layer will be more impressive.

Once you compare like for like TVs with HDR performance though like the Hisense U8Q/Sony XH9505 that do support Dolby Vision to the Q90T then you start to see those TVs have a slight edge. It's not massive, but its there. But even at this point the difference is so slight that there may be things you prefer about the picture quality of one versus the other that make a bigger difference.

TLDR don't get too wrapped up in HDR format support, buy the best HDR performer you can afford.

Talking about FALD tvs right now, a quick question:

Oled are ''less good'' if there is bright ambien light right?

What about FALD? Of course the blacks like in the oled are ''less good'' becaues the ambient light. But it is less effect than to oled?

I have a cold ambient light, dont know what ambient light is best to watch tv anyway?

Of course if you can stretch to it, the Q90T is the best of both worlds. Both HDMI 2.1 and good HDR picture quality. The Q85T is also better than the XH90/XH92 but more slightly.

The one thing that put me off all Samsungs when I was looking is the fact that they can't display 50hz material properly without stuttering. Not great for the UK. Unless that's just the lower end models or has been fixed now? Still, seems inexcusable.

Talking about FALD tvs right now, a quick question:

What about FALD? Of course the blacks like in the oled are ''less good'' becaues the ambient light. But it is less effect than to oled?

I have a cold ambient light, dont know what ambient light is best to watch tv anyway?
You have to think about the way each technology works. Because an OLED can dim each pixel individually, and turn each pixel off it makes for great dark room viewing because you can appreciate the better blacks and details closer to black. In turn you also get to appreciate the darker colours you wouldn't otherwise see with lighting in the room.

With a FALD LCD TV the improvement over non-FALD in a dark room is substantial, but you can still find blooming around objects if you look hard enough. This blooming is a product of having lights (LEDs) behind the TVs panel and isn't present with an OLED.

So if you watch with lights on in the room you negate the benefit to OLED somewhat, whilst also negating the downsides of an LCD TV. Usually when LCD TVs are cheaper than OLEDs (especially at larger sizes) it makes it better value to buy an LCD TV instead.

But that doesn't mean there are not other areas an OLED does better than an FALD LCD TV. Having no motion blur and wider viewing angles is also a big benefit.

If you are also asking whether you'll benefit from FALD in a room that isn't dark? Yes. Especially in this HDR era. FALD lets some zones push high peak brightness, whilst other zones can be shut off completely. It creates contrast in your image even when you lighting raises the black levels you can see.

Is it better viewing a FALD TV in darkness? - Yes, you'll see blooming, but you'll also see better and deeper blacks this way, even on an LCD TV.

Once you are debating between cheaper LCD TVs without FALD and higher end ones with FALD it always make sense to get a TV with FALD even if you view in a brighter room, this is especially true if the TV you are buying has higher peak brightness.

If you are watching SDR in bright conditions then it won't really matter which TV you get, you could get a TV using an IPS panel with poor contrast levels and never notice the blacks being poor.
The one thing that put me off all Samsungs when I was looking is the fact that they can't display 50hz material properly without stuttering. Not great for the UK. Unless that's just the lower end models or has been fixed now? Still, seems inexcusable.
Could you be reading into the Samsung 2020 QLED Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch) thread by any chance? Not everyone with one of those TVs has that problem. An issue thread isn't always an indication everyone notices, or has the issue. There's also various motion complaints of all TVs, including Panasonic and LG. If I didn't include TVs with reported issues in my guide I'd have no TVs left other than models no one has bought so there's no reported issues!

Could you be reading into the Samsung 2020 QLED Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch) thread by any chance? Not everyone with one of those TVs has that problem. An issue thread isn't always an indication everyone notices, or has the issue. There's also various motion complaints of all TVs, including Panasonic and LG. If I didn't include TVs with reported issues in my guide I'd have no TVs left other than models no one has bought so there's no reported issues!

Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that a TV can't display the most basic of functions without stuttering and then Samsung seem to give people the run away about it. I guess they are more interested in the American market with its 60hz and Europe is as an afterthought.

Hey Dodgexander, Im wondering could you give some advice. So I recently purchased a Q95T but RS have come back to say there was a mistake and they are actually out of stock and that they have upgraded me to QE55Q700T .

Now I know this is an 8k TV but 8k is not something im overly interested in. My main concern is, is this actually an upgrade? Does it include everything the Q95T has? Especially the HDMI 2.1 capabilities?

Hey Dodgexander, Im wondering could you give some advice. So I recently purchased a Q95T but RS have come back to say there was a mistake and they are actually out of stock and that they have upgraded me to QE55Q700T .

Now I know this is an 8k TV but 8k is not something im overly interested in. My main concern is, is this actually an upgrade? Does it include everything the Q95T has? Especially the HDMI 2.1 capabilities?
I wouldnt have a Q700T is a poor 8k tv it only has a 60hz panel.

Cheers. Yeah did some reading up online in the mean time and found pretty much everywhere said its a bad TV.

RS were apologetic but just disappointing I'll likely have to wait until after Christmas now after countless hours of research both on here and various review sites.

Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that a TV can't display the most basic of functions without stuttering and then Samsung seem to give people the run away about it. I guess they are more interested in the American market with its 60hz and Europe is as an afterthought.
Its not a case of can't display it, it can and the chances are if you try the TV you will also be happy with how it displays it. You can't decide on such things without owning the TV first.

Perhaps it would be different if every owner that was happy created a thread stating how happy they were with the motion, but that won't happen on a community that in part is mostly where people come when they have a problem, not where they come when there's not.

If in doubt you could ask other owners in the owners thread. My friend @Eddy555 recently bought a Samsung and stated he hasn't notice the problem.

What a farce, they should have upgraded you to the Q900T or Q950T not the Q700T. That TV performs worse than even the Q80T!

Mind you, upgrade is a strong word. Even the Q900T/Q950T doesn't seem to perform better than the Q90T/Q95T in tests!

Yep, I've yet to spot any judder/ motion issues with my Q90T. Very happy with it

On UK broadcast 50hz content?

Maybe some people are more sensitive to it than others because the problem must be there for so many people to notice it.

Its not a case of can't display it, it can and the chances are if you try the TV you will also be happy with how it displays it. You can't decide on such things without owning the TV first.

Perhaps it would be different if every owner that was happy created a thread stating how happy they were with the motion, but that won't happen on a community that in part is mostly where people come when they have a problem, not where they come when there's not.

I have to admit when I saw that thread I stopped even considering it.

I have to admit when I saw that thread I stopped even considering it.
Then you are making the same mistake everyone does when shopping for a TV (myself included). Reading too much into problems other people face.

There's two main factors that can contribute to an issue thread:

1. Users are not going to post when they do not have a problem.
  2. If the TV is popular (which the Samsung models are) then you are going to see far more people have a problem than if a TV is not popular.

A lot of the time its their own eyes or their own sources that cause the problem. You have to try a TV itself first before you can decide whether the motion is bad or not. Sometimes (more rarely) they may have a specific problem with their TV or source.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom