My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

There's more of a difference between the Hisense U7Q and the Sony XH9005 since the XH9005 comes with a 120hz panel.

Less of a difference between the U8Q and Sony XH9505. You really pay for the better local dimming, picture processing and motion on the Sony. For gaming that doesn't mean a lot compared to movie or TV watching so it makes little sense to go for the Sony instead unless you have a particular need for the TV to have better motion and upscaling of other sources.

Only consider TVs like the Hisense U7Q and Sony XH9005 if you aren't going to use HDR on the TV.

Other differences relate to the signal each TV can receive. The U7Q and U8Q will only accept 60hz, whilst the Sony XH9005 and XH9505 can do 120hz, the former with HDMI VRR.

Beware though, there's currently a known problem with the Sony XH9005 and HDMI VRR making the TV blurry when using that mode.

I was probably a bit annoyed when I said that :D I think it's just annoying that Xbox are getting it, and PS5 owners aren't. Plus I have a tendency not to trust companies if they 'promise' to implement something. I suppose they'll have to sort out the VRR issue because it's advertised in black and white that it supports it.

The bit I've highlighted in bold is the main reason for staying PlayStation, but if the PS5 isn't going to properly support things, then I'd rather stay on PS4.

If its any consolation Ps5 Valhalla plays at a pretty consistent 60fps at 4k /variable (lol) while the series x drops a lot more frames and more tearing :)

I imagine the codebase for COD is more pc orientated so would be easier to eek out some additional frames...

In other words it mainly depends upon the developer and the historic codebase ..We should find that, in the long term, the PS5 delivers the better experience as its architecture is "new" while the xbox is "known".

On a side note the Reviews of Devil May cry which has a variable frame rate option is apparently awful with jumps of 10-25 fps, lack of control fidelity and VRR cant keep up with it to smooth out = unplayable for a twitch game.

If I am using this AV receiver:

It say`s it has 4K pass through but then I read this article:

Sorry if this isn`t the right place to post but i`m a bit confused.
Just had a look at the manual and it doesn`t say anything bout HDCP 2.2

So I'm looking to get a new TV asap.... Just got the ps5... It will be in my living room as my main TV used for movies, TV, and ps5.... It's a medium light room, about 15' away.... What would u suggest? Kinda thinking the 77" cx or the 85" q90t?

If I am using this AV receiver:

It say`s it has 4K pass through but then I read this article:

Sorry if this isn`t the right place to post but i`m a bit confused.
Just had a look at the manual and it doesn`t say anything bout HDCP 2.2
Its a 2015 model so probably pre dates HDMI 2.0. That means 4k passthrough is limited to 4k 30hz. You need to upgrade to a HDMI 2.0a receiver to HDR support and 4k at 60hz or a HDMI 2.1 receiver if you want to pass HDMI VRR up to 120hz at 4k. You can in the meantime, plug devices direct into the TV and return audio from the TV to your receiver, but you'll be limited to non-HD audio.
So I'm looking to get a new TV asap.... Just got the ps5... It will be in my living room as my main TV used for movies, TV, and ps5.... It's a medium light room, about 15' away.... What would u suggest? Kinda thinking the 77" cx or the 85" q90t?
medium lit when you use the TV? or medium lit when you barely use it? If you have some lighting in the room then HDR will be more impactful on the Q90T than the LG CX, however for watching in dark conditions the CX is the better TV.

CX is also better for other reasons, no motion blur, 4x hdmi 2.1 ports instead of 1, better viewing angles.

So it really depends what you want from a TV.

Medium Tier:
These models don't really make cut, but with a limited budget you can get halfway there. In many titles HDR will be best disabled.

Hisense U7Q
Size Range: 50-65"
Size Recommended: All

Pros:
  • No risk of burn in
  • Dolby Vision

Cons:
  • Motion blur will only be average
  • Poor viewing angles
  • Limited peak brightness makes the TV questionable for HDR use.
  • No Dolby Atmos

Low tier:
These models really aren't suitable for next gen gaming, but they will work okay provided you use these TVs without HDR enabled. They are better gaming TVs than most older TVs, but many people (especially those with TVs from 2013 or later) will find little to no gain changing to them at all. I'd suggest saving up for higher tier models.

LG UN7300 and above
Size Range: 43-75
Size Recommended: All apart from 50" and 58" models.

Pros:
  • Available at smaller sizes
  • No risk of burn in
  • Good viewing angles

Cons:
  • Motion blur will be good for a TV of its size.
  • Limited peak brightness makes the TV unusable for HDR use.
  • No Dolby Atmos
  • No Dolby Vision
  • 3/4 x HDMI 2.0 ports

Hello Dodgexander,

Thank for a very insightful post on TV's for Next Gen Gaming.
I am looking for a new Telly for next gen Gaming, albeit on a Series S.
Looking for 65".
In my Local market, we have the two models I quoted from your original article.
65U7QF about £829 after converting to GBP
65UN7300 about £719 after converting to GBP
I have seen these both in store running their native demo's
The real pickle here is, The LG appears a bit better in store and is £100 cheaper.
The Hisense Demo doesn't appear to do the TV any justice (Though the demo unit was placed in the most brightly lit area of the store which washed the image out considerably.

From your article, the Hisense is a better buy anyday anytime right?

Hello Dodgexander,

Thank for a very insightful post on TV's for Next Gen Gaming.
I am looking for a new Telly for next gen Gaming, albeit on a Series S.
Looking for 65".
In my Local market, we have the two models I quoted from your original article.
65U7QF about £829 after converting to GBP
65UN7300 about £719 after converting to GBP
I have seen these both in store running their native demo's
The real pickle here is, The LG appears a bit better in store and is £100 cheaper.
The Hisense Demo doesn't appear to do the TV any justice (Though the demo unit was placed in the most brightly lit area of the store which washed the image out considerably.

From your article, the Hisense is a better buy anyday anytime right?
They are both using different types of panels, so you should choose which is suited more to you. If you are only going to view the TV head on, then the Hisense is the much better TV.

"Its a 2015 model so probably pre dates HDMI 2.0. That means 4k passthrough is limited to 4k 30hz. You need to upgrade to a HDMI 2.0a receiver to HDR support and 4k at 60hz or a HDMI 2.1 receiver if you want to pass HDMI VRR up to 120hz at 4k. You can in the meantime, plug devices direct into the TV and return audio from the TV to your receiver, but you'll be limited to non-HD audio."

It`s all a bit of a bloody minefield this isn't it....😅

I managed to find the full manual online and you are right it is only 4K/30hz so I will do what you said when I get my new tv and go direct to tv.

I think I have been only using DTS Digital anyway for 5.1

I have concluded through all this that there is a very deep rabbit hole here and it`s pretty easy to get lost in all the technicalities.
I had the mindset at first that I shouldn`t even bother getting a series X or PS5 until I upgraded my tv but I managed to get my hands on a PS5 and set it up last night.
For anyone wondering it still looks great even on a 1080p tv.
I`m still going to look out for one of the four sets Sony/Hisense on black Friday.
I honestly wonder if 90% of people would notice the difference that HMDI 2.1 "might" make and while people might say you aren't getting the "full experience" the fact is that unless you put the two side by side anyway your never going to know!

Q80t or LG BX in 55"? What would be the best?

Used for gaming and movies/youtube mainly, but I don't play FIFA.

The q80 is 900 and the BX is 1100, so would I see where the extra 200 is going?

I have a PS5 so will be gaming on that.

Thanks

@Dodgexander - Thanks for your breakdown guide really helpful, so im at the stage of getting a new bedroom TV to replace my old LG. Ive waited for this time also for the PS5 release as thats the console im going to use it with. So plan was to go for from a 32" LG LB580V to a new 43" 4K Ultra set.

So the models or range im considering are the LG UN series , i read on most sites that the 7000-8100 series is it right its just cosmetic changes? Im happy with LG in terms of interface and everything about them, then saw the Nanocell versions i mean is there any significant advantage on them over the UN series.

Internals are no different or are they ?

Is the 7300 adequate i mean according to the comparisions in terms of weight and bezel width the 7100 is good too.

Im going to run a JBL soundbar with it and just Freeview HD built in, maybe some DLNA content through my NAS. Id appreciate any clarity and feedback.

Q80t or LG BX in 55"? What would be the best?
Definitely worth the extra for the BX. The Q80T is not the same well-reviewed TV as in the Americas. Here in Europe the Q85T is more similar. Even with the Q85T vs the BX the BX would win imo.
So the models or range im considering are the LG UN series , i read on most sites that the 7000-8100 series is it right its just cosmetic changes? Im happy with LG in terms of interface and everything about them, then saw the Nanocell versions i mean is there any significant advantage on them over the UN series.
View the spec sheet here: LG_TV_LineUp_chart_2020_v1.0.pdf

Mainly cosmetics and HDMI ports. The UN7300 and up have the smart remote included.

Make sure you are comparing like for like sizes. A 49" model is using an IPS panel, whereas the 50" models are using VA.

So the BX is now confirmed as able to process VRR + HDR at 4K 120Hz? Does it have the same gamma issue as the CX?

So the BX is now confirmed as able to process VRR + HDR at 4K 120Hz? Does it have the same gamma issue as the CX?

yup it does and I’ve seen no gamma kind of issue, raised blacks of flickering.

yup it does and I’ve seen no gamma kind of issue, raised blacks of flickering.
Hold on, I think the BX and the CX are broadly going to be the same - new firmware seems to fix the flickering issue but the minor gamma shift is unlikely to be fixed on either of them. I don't think it's accurate to say that the BX is perfect on VRR but the CX has issues.

Hold on, I think the BX and the CX are broadly going to be the same - new firmware seems to fix the flickering issue but the minor gamma shift is unlikely to be fixed on either of them. I don't think it's accurate to say that the BX is perfect on VRR but the CX has issues.
Who’s said it’s perfect!? I’ve just said I’ve not seen any flickering or raised blacks.

Don't mean to suggest the BX has issues, as I am sure it is fantastic. Just mean to say to @sauluk that any issues, perceived or otherwise, with the CX will most likely exist with the BX. Maybe I've misinterpreted their post but I read it as if they were questioning whether there was a difference between the two such that the BX would come out on top in those issues but my understanding is there isn't.

I'm looking at the CX for the PS5 probably looking to make a purchase in January. Would you think I'd be fairly future proofed?
Is there any reason not to go for it

Don't mean to suggest the BX has issues, as I am sure it is fantastic. Just mean to say to @sauluk that any issues, perceived or otherwise, with the CX will most likely exist with the BX. Maybe I've misinterpreted their post but I read it as if they were questioning whether there was a difference between the two such that the BX would come out on top in those issues but my understanding is there isn't.
I think you misinterpreted what he said. He was just saying he didn't notice these problems. Doesn't necessarily mean they are not there. I believe the flickering has been fixed in an update though, at least it has with the CX.
I'm looking at the CX for the PS5 probably looking to make a purchase in January. Would you think I'd be fairly future proofed?
Is there any reason not to go for it
Its as future proof as you'll find from a TV today, but be sure to read the opening post that talks about the present issues with HDMI VRR (they exist for all TVs, not just the CX).

I think you misinterpreted what he said. He was just saying he didn't notice these problems. Doesn't necessarily mean they are not there. I believe the flickering has been fixed in an update though, at least it has with the CX.

Its as future proof as you'll find from a TV today, but be sure to read the opening post that talks about the present issues with HDMI VRR (they exist for all TVs, not just the CX).
I saw they were looking at some firmware update. In reality the amount of games that uses VRR and 120hz is going to be short initially. The more research I do the more it makes me think to hold out but with TVs I have to take the plunge at some point I guess

If it helps, I bought the CX and it’s been great for the PS5, just need some calibration settings. Sometimes stuff looks a little weird to my eye, but I cape from a non HDR TV so I think it’s just cause I’m not used to it :laugh:

I will say however areas on my racing games are more details. Previously, things I couldn’t see due to glare (which I should have been able to) I can now see.

I’ve found the logo luminance setting good (it senses HUD’s and dims them). I think it slightly dims the whole screen but not enough to bother me, and it’s good protection against burn in. Although I’m not sure whether it’s better to use high or low (for both gaming and watching content) maybe Dodgealexander can weigh in here?

For general viewing it’s been great out of the box and I’ve only needed minor tweaking to get it to my eye before a proper go at calibrating (or at least waiting for hdtv test to tell me what to do)

Last edited:
I saw they were looking at some firmware update. In reality the amount of games that uses VRR and 120hz is going to be short initially. The more research I do the more it makes me think to hold out but with TVs I have to take the plunge at some point I guess
same here. Sometimes you read positive feedback that makes you want to buy the tv and in the next post is negative feedback and buyers remorse signals are trickling in😂

The vrr gamma shift probably won't be fixed 100procent but will it be noticable?
Is VRR even noticible? I've been gaming all my life without VRR and never saw issues with framerates.

But to be honest, because i'm clueless with these things, its holding me back too.
Don't want to buy a tv where i will be missing out at the start of next gen. Next years tv won't neccesarily be better with VRR though..

Hi Folks,

Like many others in this thread, I'm looking to upgrade a TV to use with my (hopefully, incoming) PS5, and am finding all the different options a little overwhelming.

I currently have a 1080p 40 inch Samsung (UE40H6400) plugged into a PS4 (not Pro) - so am looking for a set that will be an improvement on that.

I'd like a UHD set, between 49" and 55", with viewing angles that are fine up to 30 degrees off axis. The set will be in a fairly dim room. I'm unsure how much value I place in HDR, from what I read, it seems to make a huge difference to the image when gaming and also seems to be the capability that, if done properly, hikes the price up a fair bit. I'd like to spend under £500 if I decide that I don't care about HDR, and up to £900 if I do - value is important to me.

To complicate matters further, my experience with HDR content so far has been really poor. In a different room, I use an LG 55SJ810V, which, whilst using HDR content auto dims/brightens sometimes when the scene changes - it's impossible to turn it off, and ruins the entire viewing experience. The local dimming features are also really poor, to the extent that I've turned all local dimming off and suffer poor quality blacks instead of the strange light show having them on offers up.

Can anyone weigh in and help here? I've read the various guides and done a fair bit of Googling, which often ends in me having 30 tabs open and going around in circles. Will the implementation of HDR be better on newer sets? Is HDR worth the fuss? Is there a stand out, obvious set I should be looking to purchase? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Can someone say if the 49 q80t is the same as the 55. My mate can only fit a 50. If not what is the best. Not including the 48 oled

Can someone say if the 49 q80t is the same as the 55. My mate can only fit a 50. If not what is the best. Not including the 48 oled

No its not recommended for the next gen consoles as its a different panel to the 55" and up. Think its an IPS panel and not capable of 120hz, but couls be getting mixed up.

The LG CX is the only TV under 55" that carries all capabilities for next gen

Thats what i thought he wont spend that much its for his bedroom. I looked on the list and it says from 49 up on doges list. I dont no what to recommend at this size. What about the sony 9505

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom