My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

It's a risk but wouldn't this be usually covered by JL or RS warranty?
Sun damage? I doubt it. If you took out insurance maybe. JL do accidental insurance that also covers OLED burn in.

Warranties are to protect the product from its own malfunctions, not damage from other sources.

So my current Samsung of ~6 years decided enough was enough over the weekend and looks like the backlight along the top is gone. Just casts a shadow along the top now.

So, with GEN5 on the horizon and Black Friday, I might as well keep an eye out for a good TV. Im thinking something around 49 - 55". Im a big gamer and likely to get an Xbox Series X/PS5. Outside of this I just dont have Fibre so not really capable of streaming anything in 4k.

Excellent guide but the prices are way more than I was planning. I thought 800 euro would be getting a really good TV.

So my question is, going off the guide linked above, and upcoming black Friday. Is it random luck as to what deals I may see or should I keep an eye out as in, are some TVs more likely to see good deals? Based in Ireland but dont mind ordering online if reviews are good.

Also roughly when do we start seeing Black Friday deals?

My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21
Hi, my names Dodgexander and I am a forum moderator here on AVForums.
Since 2016 each year I have released guides to help people when searching for there perfect TV. Together with a lot of other helpful users here on the forum, I try to help people not get caught in the endless loop of shopping for a TV.

To be clear to anyone reading. Like many of you, I am not a TV reviewer, and I do not own each and every TV I mention in my guides. The guide is strictly compiled information based on real specs, reviews and user feedback and is designed to make TV recommendations more easy for those unfamiliar when shopping for TVs.

I hope you enjoy the guide!

Here's a link to all my guides:
My links & guides

And I stress, before posting; please do your best to take the time to read and search the forum, both through my guides, and through other posts. The search button can be found in the top right of the forum. In most cases, the answer to your question will already be there if you are able to search for it. Most TV recommendations are the same.
Gaming with one of the new Xbox Series X, Xbox Series C, Playstation 5 or Nvidia RTX 3xxx series Graphics card.
Two factors are crucial.
  • HDR picture quality - Every TV can accept a HDR signal, but very few have the ability to display HDR without problems, for next gen gaming more and more games are going to include HDR, and to display HDR problem free, and impressively, you need a TV that meets these minimum specifications. In this guide, only high tier models are suited to proper HDR use, whilst mid tier will give you an okay experience in some games, but not others. Low tier TVs are not suited for HDR use at all and in most cases you'll want to use these with HDR disabled.​
  • HDMI 2.1 VRR with a 40-120hz range - Many games may not reach 120fps, but having variable refresh rate technology is one of the main selling points of next gen gaming. Some Samsung TVs support VRR despite not properly having HDMI 2.1 ports. These models are best avoided as they support only a limited 48-60fps range because they do not have 120hz panels. Using a 60hz panelled TV to game means more motion blur, and its more likely a game will drop beneath 48fps threshold rather than 40fps disabling VRR. Do not worry though, these models are only beneath 55" and there's mention of them in my guide.​
The output signal and the internal frame rate of the game are different things. The frame rate does not have to equal the output signal for there to be a benefit.
Part of the new HDMI 2.1 spec includes HDMI VRR technology, that allows a compatible TV to match the the fps of the game.
The next gen gaming platforms are more powerful and will be able to utilise better graphics at a higher frame rate than last gen. If the game already comes with adaptive frame rate such as Assassins Creed: Origins that we already saw last gen, you'll get slowdowns and tearing with a non HDMI 2.1 VRR TV. Additionally, TVs that come without true HDMI 2.1 ports cannot support an input signal higher than 60hz at UHD resolution, and will present the game with more motion blur. Not only do these 60hz TVs have more blur, but if they support VRR, they also drop the signal sooner at 48fps instead of 40fps.
Dolby Vision and Atmos are supported only on PC and Xbox platforms. Xbox promise games in Dolby Vision and Atmos in 2021.

Dolby Vision HDR - This is a nice to have for the future if you are a PC or Xbox gamer, but its not essential. All Dolby Vision games will still work on non-supported Dolby Vision TVs using standard HDR10 data. It is much more preferable to have a TV that is good displaying HDR like the Samsung Q90T that doesn't support Dolby Vision, than it is to have a TV that is bad with HDR like the LG Nano80/85 but does have Dolby Vision.

Dolby Atmos Sound - Apart from select high end OLED TVs with Atmos soundbars, its only important the TV supports Dolby Atmos if you intend to:
  • Pair the TV with an Atmos soundbar without a HDMI input, for example the Sonos ARC.​
  • Pair the TV with an AV Receiver that isn't eARC compliant.​
  • For some reason you want to plug the console direct to the TV, instead of your soundbar or AVR.​
Not any more, all TVs have low enough input lag for gaming
Motion Blur - If you play fast paced games, and you want as little blur as possible.
Viewing angles - If you view the TV off-axis, or you like to play a locally with mates.
Smaller TVs don't carry the same features as larger TVs. This means smaller TVs don't come with HDMI 2.1 VRR and also aren't suitable for HDR use. Smaller TVs also lack higher speed panels and have worse motion blur. They also lack viewing angle/anti glare filters of larger TVs.
Sadly this is the harsh truth of next gen gaming. To get the very latest features you have to pay more money. Don't panic though, if you have a limited budget then you can still use a TV without HDR enabled and without HDMI 2.1 VRR. It will work, but won't be as impressive.
Because its not recommended for next gen gaming.
High Tier means the TV will be the best for next gen gaming. Medium means it will be a small improvement over what most people are using. Low means for many people its negligible whether to replace your current TV
No because you will pay as much as 20-50% more if you don't wait. See: The best time to buy a TV
No, on release features often do not work properly and if you buy a TV beforehand, you won't be able to return it if it doesn't work correctly when you test it.
Yes and no, my best buy guides are general guides for mixed usage and any recommended TV in the guide will also be recommended for gaming. However this list takes only the very best TVs of each category for gaming and places that top priority.
All these TVs are more than suitable, if you are interested in TVs that focus more on video than gaming, then wait until Black Friday for my general best buy guide
OLED is a new display technology. QLED is a marketing term for LCD TVs. LED is an incorrect term used to describe LCD TVs.
See this post:
I'll include it in the guide once we know whether it will work correctly or not with the new console and HDMI 2.1 features. So far we don't know as it uses an older video chipset

High tier:
These models check the most boxes for HDR games and are highly recommended.

LG CX, GX, ZX, RX OLEDs
Size Range: 48-88"
Sizes recommended: All

Pros:
  • Perfect viewing angles
  • No motion blur
  • Only TVs that support all next gen gaming features including Dolby Vision
  • The best choice for dark room gaming
  • 4x HDMI 2.1 ports.

Cons:
  • If you play a game with lots of static images such a FIFA or Football Manager often, risk of OLED Burn In Risk
  • If you intend to game a lot in very bright conditions, you may find with HDR these aren't bright enough

Samsung Q80T, Q85T, Q90T, Q95T, Q800T, Q900T, Q950T
Size Range: 49-85"
Size recommended: 55" and up only.

Notes: Don't be fooled into thinking every 8k model is better than 4k. The performance of the Q800T and Q85T are broadly the same, whilst the Q900/Q950T performs better than the Q90T/Q95T. Smaller models aren't recommended since they come with slower panels, a limited VRR range of 48-60fps and lack any wide viewing angle/anti glare filters.

Pros:
  • Q85T and up have improved viewing angles and better anti glare compared to standard LCD TVs
  • No risk of burn in
  • Bright, so useful for gaming during the day
  • Motion settings available in game mode
  • Dolby Atmos
  • Great picture accuracy out of the box

Cons:
  • More motion blur than OLEDs.
  • HDR mode causes TVs to be less accurate
  • No Dolby Vision
  • Only 1x HDMI 2.1 port and 3x HDMI 2.0 ports
  • Q80T has poor viewing angles
  • In dark viewing screen uniformity can be an issue, especially on lower tier models
  • 8k TVs are expensive

Hisense U8Q
Size Range: 55-65"
Size Recommended: All

Pros:
  • No risk of burn in

Cons:
  • More motion blur than OLEDs, but less than most LCD TVs.
  • Only 4x HDMI 2.0 ports
  • Poor viewing angles
  • No Dolby Atmos

Sony XH9505
Size Range: 49-85"

Notes: 49" model lacks good viewing angles

Pros:
  • 55" and up have improved viewing angles and better anti glare compared to standard LCD TVs
  • No risk of burn in
  • Picture accuracy out of the box is good
  • Dolby Vision
  • Dolby Atmos

Cons:
  • More motion blur than OLEDs, but less than most LCD TVs.
  • Only 4x HDMI 2.0 ports
  • 49" TV has poor viewing angles

Medium Tier:
These models don't really make cut, but with a limited budget you can get halfway there. In many titles HDR will be best disabled.

Sony XH9005
Size range: 55-85"

Pros:
  • No risk of burn in
  • Picture accuracy out of the box is good
  • Dolby Vision
  • Dolby Atmos

Cons:
  • More motion blur than OLEDs, but less than most LCD TVs
  • Poor viewing angles
  • Limited peak brightness makes the TV questionable for HDR use

Hisense U7Q
Size Range: 50-65"

Pros:
  • No risk of burn in
  • Dolby Vision

Cons:
  • Motion blur will only be average
  • Poor viewing angles
  • Limited peak brightness makes the TV questionable for HDR use.
  • No Dolby Atmos

Low tier:
These models really aren't suitable for next gen gaming, but they will work okay provided you use these TVs without HDR enabled. They are better gaming TVs than most older TVs, but many people (especially those with TVs from 2013 or later) will find little to no gain changing to them at all. I'd suggest saving up for higher tier models.

Hisense AE7400 & A7500 and above
Size Range: 43-65

Pros:
  • Available at small sizes
  • No risk of burn in
  • Dolby Vision

Cons:
  • Motion blur will only be average
  • Poor viewing angles
  • Limited peak brightness makes the TV unusable for HDR use.
  • No Dolby Atmos

LG UN7300 and above
Size Range: 43-75
Size Recommended: All apart from 50" and 58" models.

Pros:
  • Available at smaller sizes
  • No risk of burn in
  • Good viewing angles

Cons:
  • Motion blur will be good for a TV of its size.
  • No Dolby Atmos
  • No Dolby Vision
  • 3/4 x HDMI 2.0 ports

LG Nano80/85
Size Range: 49-65"

Pros:
  • No risk of burn in
  • Good viewing angles
  • Dolby Atmos (Nano85 only)
  • Dolby Vision
  • 4x HDMI 2.1 ports Nano85

Cons:
  • Motion blur will be very good.
  • 4 x HDMI 2.0 ports Nano80

Dolby vision is now supported on PC? :D

Is the Q85T exclusive to Curry's? I'm set on that but can't find any other retailers selling it.

So my question is, going off the guide linked above, and upcoming black Friday. Is it random luck as to what deals I may see or should I keep an eye out as in, are some TVs more likely to see good deals? Based in Ireland but dont mind ordering online if reviews are good.

Also roughly when do we start seeing Black Friday deals?
Usually announced the week before, but its also not uncommon to see discounts in Xmas/Jan sales instead. BF is the first day to consider buying a new model, but not necessarily the best.
Dolby vision is now supported on PC? :D
Yes, has been for a while if you use the MadVR renderer. Just need a compatible TV and the correct ripped file format to pass the data. MKV have just added DV to their spec sheet so hopefully it will be easier to view in the future, although at the moment you have a mix of having to make rips of discs in different formats depending if the content is single or dual layer Dolby Vision.
Is the Q85T exclusive to Curry's? I'm set on that but can't find any other retailers selling it.
looks like it is.

Usually announced the week before, but its also not uncommon to see discounts in Xmas/Jan sales instead. BF is the first day to consider buying a new model, but not necessarily the best.

Yes, has been for a while if you use the MadVR renderer. Just need a compatible TV and the correct ripped file format to pass the data. MKV have just added DV to their spec sheet so hopefully it will be easier to view in the future, although at the moment you have a mix of having to make rips of discs in different formats depending if the content is single or dual layer Dolby Vision.

looks like it is.

that is awesome.I wonder if we can now do dolby vision and atmos on mkv?

can u post a resource for this as I can't find MADVR+ dolby vision resource of it being compatible?\

that is awesome.I wonder if we can now do dolby vision and atmos on mkv?

can u post a resource for this as I can't find MADVR+ dolby vision resource of it being compatible?\

I may have jumped the gun a little here, so apologies for not getting my facts right.

Dolby Vision requires only HDMI version 1.4a. If the correct data is reported by the file by playback software and passed to the TV, it will work. Problem is until now there's been no de-facto standard, now its part of the MKV spec it should be easier to support.

File playback software on PC like Plex support it via the open player standard: Exoplayer, who have incidentally also just added the update required for MKVs to support Dolby Vision. Exo player is the backend to the likes of Plex and Emby.

Incidently Madshi who develops MadVR is an Emby developer, so I don't think it will be too long before it happens with MadVR too.

Thanks for the write up/responses Dodgexander, it's exactly what I've been looking for today. I was leaning towards QLED for gaming as I had the impression it would be better than OLED with regards to console gaming. After reading the thread it seems that OLED is still superior for gaming but screen burn is the only real concern. Everyone's use and experience is different, but in your opinion, what is the likelihood of screen burn occurring using a console with average use? I play on my PC way more, but with the PS5 I expect I will play games with static images for 2-3hrs at a time on occasion.

If it was you ready to buy a new TV for the next 3-5 years, what would you choose?

My personal preferences are:

4K TV/Moves > 4K Gaming, but if I'm spending £1500+ I'd like something suitable for both, which to me is OLED as I have always wanted OLED over other tech for movies.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up/responses Dodgexander, it's exactly what I've been looking for today. I was leaning towards QLED for gaming as I had the impression it would be better than OLED with regards to console gaming. After reading the thread it seems that OLED is still superior for gaming but screen burn is the only real concern. Everyone's use and experience is different, but in your opinion, what is the likelihood of screen burn occurring using a console with average use? I play on my PC way more, but with the PS5 I expect I will play games with static images for 2-3hrs at a time on occasion.

If it was you ready to buy a new TV for the next 3-5 years, what would you choose?

My personal preferences are:

4K TV/Moves > 4K Gaming, but if I'm spending £1500+ I'd like something suitable for both, which to me is OLED as I have always wanted OLED over other tech for movies.
It depends on the games you play and how long you expect the TV to last. I'd be more concerned playing games with lots of static elements like FIFA for lengthy periods of time, not only hour long sessions, but frequently. But even in the rtings.com test it would work out as a few years before you see burn in playing a game like that for a few hours each day.

If you are playing a mixture of games that don't have as many static elements, then its really something you shouldn't worry about.

More about it here: OLED Burn In Risk

You'll see in the linked test from rtings.com how many hours the TV lasted before seeing burn in on FIFA, you can use the hours it took to receive burn in to calculate how soon you'd see it yourself if you play that one game.
The TV looping Call of Duty is still going today without Burn in.

Thanks as always for the guide. My wallet's not thanking you for the CX recommendation, but as everything else I'd read had highlighted it as the best current TV that's fine - and I'll be waiting until prices come down before buying! And, of course, waiting for a little more info on the BX as well...

One note, in the first spoiler I suspect you meant the Series S, not the Series C.

Thanks as always for the guide. My wallet's not thanking you for the CX recommendation, but as everything else I'd read had highlighted it as the best current TV that's fine - and I'll be waiting until prices come down before buying! And, of course, waiting for a little more info on the BX as well...

One note, in the first spoiler I suspect you meant the Series S, not the Series C.
thanks and thanks for pointing out the mistake, I've now corrected it.:thumbsup:

It depends on the games you play and how long you expect the TV to last. I'd be more concerned playing games with lots of static elements like FIFA for lengthy periods of time, not only hour long sessions, but frequently. But even in the rtings.com test it would work out as a few years before you see burn in playing a game like that for a few hours each day.

If you are playing a mixture of games that don't have as many static elements, then its really something you shouldn't worry about.

More about it here: OLED Burn In Risk

You'll see in the linked test from rtings.com how many hours the TV lasted before seeing burn in on FIFA, you can use the hours it took to receive burn in to calculate how soon you'd see it yourself if you play that one game.
The TV looping Call of Duty is still going today without Burn in.

Thanks, appreciate the response. I think I'm definitely going to pick up the 65CX OLED next year.

I was tempted with the Panasonic but after reading the reviews it doesn't recommend it for gaming.

I was tempted with the Panasonic but after reading the reviews it doesn't recommend it for gaming.
Do you mean Panasonic's OLEDs? There's nothing wrong with using them for gaming really. But they aren't the first choice for the next gen because lack of HDMI 2.1. They also lack Dynamic Tone Mapping in game mode adjustments like the LGs do, which is very useful for games. I think there was a bit a few pages back where we were talking about this after someone was talking about their Panasonic OLED being good for games.

Not sure where to start with the video.
  • He states only OLEDs can bottom out at 40fps, but its not exclusive to OLED at all. What makes a TV bottom out at 48fps instead of 40fps is the peak refresh rate of the display. Any 120hz TV can do 40fps, regardless whether its an LCD or OLED.
  • Regarding LCD FALD systems and HDR and game mode. It's nothing new that certain TVs have worse picture quality in game mode, and its all to do with switching certain picture processing off. It doesn't have anything to do with FALD itself, or some pseudo conflict between VRR/HDR.
  • There's no relationship between HDR and the TV when it comes to VRR being enabled or not. All the TVs that have HDMI 2.1 ports have enough bandwidth to work with this correctly and they do not have to work harder if sent VRR+HDR. But again, the consoles haven't been released yet and things are bound not to work correctly upon release, so let's see. No idea why he keeps talking about the TV being unable to handle HDR+VRR at the same time, it has no relevance, or impact on performance, nor is it even possible to test yet since the new consoles aren't released.
  • What he says about LFC and Freesync premium is true, but he assumes that games are going to dip beneath the 40fps threshold. I think 40fps will be a min target frame rate for the new consoles, especially if the game has a performance mode.
  • He talks a lot about Samsung TVs, game mode, input lag and VRR/HDR, yet the problem with game mode not being as good picture quality is not exclusive to VRR, or HDR even and is noticeable even with 60hz SDR gaming. Its down to Samsung's decision to balance picture quality and input lag. All using VRR will do is lower input lag. This is a specific problem Samsung need to sort out.
  • Dolby Vision HDR isn't going to make it to games until 2021 and only on Xbox. There's no technical reason TVs that have Dolby Vision support can't also be updated to work together with VRR but its completely up to the TV manufacturers to work with the consoles to make it work.
  • Any current tests he can do on a 3 series Nvidia graphics card only has relevance if you are also using a 3 series graphics card, and nothing to do with the new consoles.
Long and short of it is you can't draw conclusions this early, there will always be teething issues to begin with and its just a bad idea generally to consider buying ahead of time if you are expecting every feature to work without a hitch. Don't be that person expecting everything to work without a problem, and expecting things to be fixed by manufacturers, there's never a guarantee.

Bought a Hisense 65n6800 recommended on here about 3 years ago on a BF deal for £899. I was considering an Oled at the time, but I guess my eyes are not so keen and preferred the larger picture. Is the U8QF the way to go?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
[
So unless you are getting an LG CX, forget about HDMI 2.1 and just go for the one with the best HDR picture?

My personal opinion is that hdmi 2.1 is the least important feature. Time will tell if VRR etc are marketing terms or practical improvements. We'll find out for sure in a few weeks when the consoles launch....

My reasoning being you wont be "streaming 4k@>60fps from a console to a tv".

Last edited:
What he says about LFC and Freesync premium is true, but he assumes that games are going to dip beneath the 40fps threshold. I think 40fps will be a min target frame rate for the new consoles, especially if the game has a performance mode.

No developer is going to launch a game at 40fps.

Ideal:

High graphical games/ most likely story driven= 30fps.
Action games = 60fps
Twitch Games/ driving fps = 90/120.

Reality:

In actual fact, the evidence suggests that the 30fps performance target underpins the majority of Sony's impressive first-party offerings including Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart and Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales. It's seemingly a key point of difference between PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X - while stressing that developers can use the console's power as they wish, Microsoft has often talked about 60fps as a design target for next-gen, even mooting the idea of 120fps gaming in some scenarios for the new wave of HDMI 2.1 displays. :

“The basic maths is pretty straightforward – if you deliver twice the power of existing console hardware, doubling frame-rate effectively sucks up most of that extra throughput, meaning that there’s little left over to push graphical fidelity in other areas.”

Last edited:
No developer is going to launch a game at 40fps.

Ideal:

High graphical games/ most likely story driven= 30fps.
Action games = 60fps
Twitch Games/ driving fps = 90/120.

Reality:

In actual fact, the evidence suggests that the 30fps performance target underpins the majority of Sony's impressive first-party offerings including Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart and Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales. It's seemingly a key point of difference between PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X - while stressing that developers can use the console's power as they wish, Microsoft has often talked about 60fps as a design target for next-gen, even mooting the idea of 120fps gaming in some scenarios for the new wave of HDMI 2.1 displays. :

“The basic maths is pretty straightforward – if you deliver twice the power of existing console hardware, doubling frame-rate effectively sucks up most of that extra throughput, meaning that there’s little left over to push graphical fidelity in other areas.”
There's no longer a strict choice between 30fps or 60fps with games, the minimum target frame rate can be decided based on the device connected to the console, similar to how a PC user can dial down, or up quality settings depending on the frame rate/quality they wish. I believe developers will realise the minimum frame rate for VRR is 40fps and therefore target that when VRR hardware is connected to the console.

But anyway we'll see, some games will still have performance modes which will allow the frame rate to be higher. It's all speculation so far anyway so a pointless discussion. This thread is for best buys for the next gen so let's keep it that way. I don't want to go down a wormhole related to exact frame rates, or whether people believe or not VRR is worthwhile, that is completely up to them.

The guide is set up as HDR>VRR anyway, so they'd have to drop down to low range TVs if they value that more than picture quality.

There's no longer a strict choice between 30fps or 60fps with games, the minimum target frame rate can be decided based on the device connected to the console, similar to how a PC user can dial down, or up quality settings depending on the frame rate/quality they wish. I believe developers will realise the minimum frame rate for VRR is 40fps and therefore target that when VRR hardware is connected to the console.

But anyway we'll see, some games will still have performance modes which will allow the frame rate to be higher. It's all speculation so far anyway so a pointless discussion. This thread is for best buys for the next gen so let's keep it that way. I don't want to go down a wormhole related to exact frame rates, or whether people believe or not VRR is worthwhile, that is completely up to them.

The guide is set up as HDR>VRR anyway, so they'd have to drop down to low range TVs if they value that more than picture quality.

There was NEVER a strict choice between 30/60 and this misconception of newest gen consoles being 120FPS compliant is poor press and marketing. The playstation 1 was 120fps compliant, providing you were rendering a single sprite, not moving it and no lighting environment etc. FPS is a consequence of the data you throw at it. Hence MOST HDR games @ 4k wont be running at 120fps :) (a tempest type game, might)

So then you must now ask, why 30 or 60?

30's the right compromise between the designer (wants fluidity 120fps) the artist (wants graphical fidelity 1 fps) and the programmer (want to get it all to work on the target platform and everything processed in 33ms ).

Theres little to no difference between 30fs and 38fps which is why when you have a consistent target platform (console) good developers frame lock. Getting from 30 to 60 IS twice as HARD. Getting from 60 to 90 is three and four times harder still.

Having a Variable frame rate is BAD for games .. visuals look all weird and control is inconsistent. The same reason films shoot at 34fps is because it looks good (although they are moving slowly upto 60 now) .. they never changed from 34 to 40/60/90 to match tv's .. because it has nothing to do with the TV its an artistic choice. Just as 30/60/90 is both an artistic choice and a technical hurdle.

The reason PC games have variable frame rates is the amount of target platforms : an almost infinite configuration. Thats not to say there wont be 120fps modes in console racing games but they'll be running fixed at 120 1080(p) (then maybe upscaled) not 120/4k or scaling in 4k between 40 and 120fps .. ugh can u imagine what that would look and feel like, now you'd NEED VRR (if it works) and any gamer on a non VRR TV would have a worse experience .. thats not good press, good business or any developers plan.

There's nothing personal or calling you out here .. but people not buying a tv cos it doesnt have hdmi 2.1 or 120hz modes are probably not making a good decision. If your a pro gamer , maybe, but for most of us and for the majority of games 2.1, vrr and 120fps likely do very little.

Thanks again for all your sharing and info on the site ive been reading it all for awhile now and just want to share my knowledge here to to help others who are indecisive as me and to return some of the amazing info ive learned here :), i think im fully prepped for black friday/ xmas now :-D

As to the conclusion, we both really have come to the same point about HDR and i 100% believe you know your stuff about panels/backlight/qled vs oled so :

For Ps5 gamers IMO i think we cam probably agree :

Buy the best quality HDR implementation you can at a minimum of 60hz and the best panel you can afford, with OLED likely being the "best ". Dont worry about the other stuff, unless your rich.

Last edited:
Some really interesting point being made.

I haven’t seen 120fps but I’ve certainly got no complaints playing 60fps games so I’m not convinced that putting all the resources into moving from 60 to 120 gives the most impressive visual gains. I think I lean toward sticking to 60 or 30 fps and increasing the eye candy. Bad in the day (a long time ago) when I was more into gaming on PCs I was always happy enough if the game hit 30 fps.

I guess it’s nice that we’ll have more choice on consoles this generation and we can customise our games a little so they perform in the way that we want.

Well the idea of a TV upgrade has been passed by the Wife and I think I’m good to go. I think it going to be a new washing machine to keep her happy! 😂

Anyway I’m looking at around 55” and 1k. Looked at the Sony KD55XH9005 or the Samsung QE55Q80T

No idea which is best or if there’s any other brands around this price to consider?

Think I will be holding out to see what Black Friday has to offer.

There was NEVER a strict choice between 30/60 and this misconception of newest gen consoles being 120FPS compliant is poor press and marketing. The playstation 1 was 120fps compliant, providing you were rendering a single sprite, not moving it and no lighting environment etc. FPS is a consequence of the data you throw at it. Hence MOST HDR games @ 4k wont be running at 120fps :) (a tempest type game, might)

So then you must now ask, why 30 or 60?

30's the right compromise between the designer (wants fluidity 120fps) the artist (wants graphical fidelity 1 fps) and the programmer (want to get it all to work on the target platform and everything processed in 33ms ).

Theres little to no difference between 30fs and 38fps which is why when you have a consistent target platform (console) good developers frame lock. Getting from 30 to 60 IS twice as HARD. Getting from 60 to 90 is three and four times harder still.

Having a Variable frame rate is BAD for games .. visuals look all weird and control is inconsistent. The same reason films shoot at 34fps is because it looks good (although they are moving slowly upto 60 now) .. they never changed from 34 to 40/60/90 to match tv's .. because it has nothing to do with the TV its an artistic choice. Just as 30/60/90 is both an artistic choice and a technical hurdle.

The reason PC games have variable frame rates is the amount of target platforms : an almost infinite configuration. Thats not to say there wont be 120fps modes in console racing games but they'll be running fixed at 120 1080(p) (then maybe upscaled) not 120/4k or scaling in 4k between 40 and 120fps .. ugh can u imagine what that would look and feel like, now you'd NEED VRR (if it works) and any gamer on a non VRR TV would have a worse experience .. thats not good press, good business or any developers plan.

There's nothing personal or calling you out here .. but people not buying a tv cos it doesnt have hdmi 2.1 or 120hz modes are probably not making a good decision. If your a pro gamer , maybe, but for most of us and for the majority of games 2.1, vrr and 120fps likely do very little.

Thanks again for all your sharing and info on the site ive been reading it all for awhile now and just want to share my knowledge here to to help others who are indecisive as me and to return some of the amazing info ive learned here :), i think im fully prepped for black friday/ xmas now :-D

As to the conclusion, we both really have come to the same point about HDR and i 100% believe you know your stuff about panels/backlight/qled vs oled so :

For Ps5 gamers IMO i think we cam probably agree :

Buy the best quality HDR implementation you can at a minimum of 60hz and the best panel you can afford, with OLED likely being the "best ". Dont worry about the other stuff, unless your rich.
You are free to have your own opinion, but I don't want to get into any more specifics here. This thread is my own take on the best buys for the next gen, the order wouldn't change even if VRR does turn out to be pointless. As I said in my last reply I want the thread to be about recommendations, not discussions on what may happen in the future.

You'll see already in the guide there are some models suggested without VRR, the Sony XH9505 is ranked higher than the XH9005 despite lacking VRR and the Hisense U8Q is also ranked highly too.

I see no reason for a gamer to buy a different TV from in the guide, unless they have a priority that sways more toward video content than games. As I mentioned a few replies back there are things the Samsung QLEDs and LG OLEDs do better than rivals with gaming even outside of VRR.

We'll see what happens in the future, and my advice remains the same. There are always problems, so its always good to buy later on than it is at the beginning. If what you say is true, then you'll be in a better place to make a decision once the consoles and some titles have been released than now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom