My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

Dodgexander

LG OLED55CX5LB - I saw this in currys and the picture looked amazing, not sure what the video source was. I will try and hold for black friday to see if further savings can be made from current price tag of 1399. It has 4 hdmi 2.1 therefore i believe it should maximise the potential of ps5.
It's not a matter of if, but when. Very bad idea to consider buying before Black Friday, with spring being the best time of year.

This guide was made in preparation, its also mentioned in the FAQ in the OP. You can read more here: The best time to buy a TV

One good reason to wait is also because the cheaper BX may become a better deal when we find out if it works properly with HDMI 2.1. At the moment that is up in the air. - Also some detail about that in the FAQ in the OP.

A bit of general advice from me; avoid buying a TV from Currys. Stick to the likes of Richer Sounds or more bespoke retailers like Peter Tyson, Crampton and Moore or sevenoaks. John Lewis/Costco are also good. Currys customer service and knowledge is generally awful.

zlfksnk

I think I answered this in my last post if you don't mind reading that. There's also an explanation about it in the OP.

Regarding your choice, clearly the XG9505 is the best option, its a much higher end TV than the new XH9005 and won't have any problem displaying HDR. Not only that but its much better value compared to the new XH9005.

HDR should be top priority when buying a TV nowadays for gaming.
Thank you very much for your reply.
And what do you think of the Samsung Q70r?
Found it for $ 750, it should be more suitable for games becouse of VRR, i suppose. Perhaps i should take it instead of the XG9505? But it should be noted that I watch movies much more often than I play in ps4.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Thank you very much for your reply.
And what do you think of the Samsung Q70r?
Found it for $ 750, it should be more suitable for games becouse of VRR, i suppose. Perhaps i should take it instead of the XG9505? But it should be noted that I watch movies much more often than I play in ps4.
It only supports VRR at 4k 48-60fps or 1440p 40-120fps because it doesn't have HDMI 2.1 ports. Otherwise its a recommended TV in my 2019 guide here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition and similar to the new Q80T.

It's a tier down overall from the Sony XG9505, really the XG9505 is more like the higher end Q85R...or this years Q90T.

It's up to you whether you value HDMI VRR (with the limitations I describe) over HDR, I'd be choosing the XG9505 personally because its a better TV when used with HDR material. If you want both the best HDR and HDMI 2.1 then you need to consider waiting to buy at a better time, or raising your budget for one of the Samsung LCD TVs or LG OLEDs in this guide.

zlfksnk

It's up to you whether you value HDMI VRR (with the limitations I describe) over HDR, I'd be choosing the XG9505 personally because its a better TV when used with HDR material. If you want both the best HDR and HDMI 2.1 then you need to consider waiting to buy at a better time, or raising your budget for one of the Samsung LCD TVs or LG OLEDs in this guide.
Ok, thanks a lot :)

I am Jon

Looks like my Samsung 55" (UE55KS700) is dead so just started looking at new options.

I'm after 55"- 65" with eARC and HDMI 2.1 / VRR / Freesync support for consoles and possibly PC. Budget is around £1,000 (max £1,500), right now looking at Samsung QLED's or LG OLED. With luck might get a good deal on prime day.

Not all that clear which Samsung's have HDMI 2.1 support, is it only the Q80 and up? What about the Q60 & Q75? What about the LG BX listed as HDMI 2.1? Is the PHILIPS Ambilight OLED any good?

Edit - looks like it's down to these 4:
  • Samsung 55" Q90T ~£1,299
  • Samsung 65" Q80T ~£1,499 (might be a bit too big. are there no 60" options?)
  • LG 55" OLED CX6 ~£1,400

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Not all that clear which Samsung's have HDMI 2.1 support, is it only the Q80 and up? What about the Q60 & Q75? What about the LG BX listed as HDMI 2.1? Is the PHILIPS Ambilight OLED any good?
You need the Q80T or higher if you wish to use HDR on the TV, otherwise you get poor results. This guide is set up with that in mind, so is just a case of getting the highest TV you can afford on the list.

If a TV is missing, its for a reason. I'm aware of every single TV on the market. :)

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Looks like my Samsung 55" (UE55KS700) is dead so just started looking at new options.
My 49KS7000 died a few months ago.

I fixed it for under £30 with a screwdriver and a multimeter.

It was switched on and I left the room to make a call, came back in and nothing.... dead as a doornail.
A bit of Youtube watching, testing to confirm the issue, a new powerboard, and a couple of hours work and it's back up and running.

I am Jon

My 49KS7000 died a few months ago.

I fixed it for under £30 with a screwdriver and a multimeter.

It was switched on and I left the room to make a call, came back in and nothing.... dead as a doornail.
A bit of Youtube watching, testing to confirm the issue, a new powerboard, and a couple of hours work and it's back up and running.
Good to know, I'd never throw out a gadget without at least opening it up first. Mine just went off while watching, thought I'd hit the remote. Now won't power on and no standby light, suspect it could be PSU. Doesn't seem many places to get parts but seen a couple of used 55KS7000 psu's on ebay for around £30.

Looks like a pain to get the back off them, is it just glued on? Got a service engineer booked anyhow, will see how that goes. Think they only charge for repair not callout.

Was perfectly happy with the picture quality etc, looks like they are still pretty good relative to current sub £1,000 TV's. If can't fix will probably get a LG OLED CX, kind of stings to replace broken unit with same brand and OLED feels like more of an upgrade. Not too bothered about maximum HDR brightness, turned current down to 9/10 for HDR and 5/10 std anyhow.

IsaacRatch

The rtings website states the 65Q80T has wide viewing angle and reduced glare however read many times on here the 65Q80T doesn't are they running a different model than the one we get here in the UK?

Is there much difference in sound between the 80 and 90?

Can either afford the 6580T and decent soundbar (minus 50 percent Samsung cashback) or just the 6590T alone.

Glare isn't a problem, viewing angle will be mostly square on and if I purchase a soundbar that'll be sorted. Finding it hard to justify buying the 6590T alone against the 6580T and soundbar giving my room circumstances.

If I could stretch to the 6585T and soundbar presume this is the best happy medium?

Any input appreciated.

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Looks like a pain to get the back off them, is it just glued on? Got a service engineer booked anyhow, will see how that goes. Think they only charge for repair not callout.
There's some fitting on the bottom of the screen that push in and after that it's clipped in, connected to wire and a sticky glue bead around the edge, was a pain to take off but not difficult once I realised what I was dealing with.

You don't really need an engineer to do it, a £10 multimeter and a part off here - Spare Parts & Accessories for TVs & Home + Garden Appliances | Spares2Repair

It was pretty obvious what the issue was without the multimeter. When you disconnect the powerboard from the mainboard and then plug the TV in and try to power it up, the backlight should light up, but mine didn't, it flickered, meaning either the issue was the powerboard or the LED's but as I could even get it to power up when the boards were still connected that pointed to the powerboard.

I did some multimeter testing to confirm it but it wasn't really necessary, ordered a new board from that website and it's been working since.
Apparently, the powerboard is a known issue with the TV.

I am Jon

You don't really need an engineer to do it, a £10 multimeter and a part off here - Spare Parts & Accessories for TVs & Home + Garden Appliances | Spares2Repair
Only lists the UE49KS7500U as in stock but looks like they are all just different revisions of the same part BN44-00878A. Next to the serial number TV is marked version 1 but not sure that applies to the power as well, the newer revisions are probably compatible? Guess I'd need to crack it open for a look first and buy same revision if possible.

Will see what happens with the Samsung repair first since already put in request.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Good to know, I'd never throw out a gadget without at least opening it up first. Mine just went off while watching, thought I'd hit the remote. Now won't power on and no standby light, suspect it could be PSU. Doesn't seem many places to get parts but seen a couple of used 55KS7000 psu's on ebay for around £30.
Sloppy bob repaired his as he's already mentioned, but TVs are pretty repairable, and parts can be cheap. If you are having the typical Samsung won't power on/flicking led light fault then you probably just need a new power board. I repaired my old Samsung with a replacement mainboard.
Only lists the UE49KS7500U as in stock but looks like they are all just different revisions of the same part BN44-00878A. Next to the serial number TV is marked version 1 but not sure that applies to the power as well, the newer revisions are probably compatible? Guess I'd need to crack it open for a look first and buy same revision if possible.
They are usually the same exact part. KS7500 was just a copy of your TV but curved.
The rtings website states the 65Q80T has wide viewing angle and reduced glare however read many times on here the 65Q80T doesn't are they running a different model than the one we get here in the UK?
It's not the same TV. Q80T there is Q85T here more or less.
Is there much difference in sound between the 80 and 90?
The higher tier model has more powerful speakers so they can get louder. Neither TV sounds good.
Glare isn't a problem, viewing angle will be mostly square on and if I purchase a soundbar that'll be sorted. Finding it hard to justify buying the 6590T alone against the 6580T and soundbar giving my room circumstances.
TV audio is notoriously bad quality, but its subjective. Someone who hasn't used high quality audio before may find it fine.
If I could stretch to the 6585T and soundbar presume this is the best happy medium?
The Q85T is most similar to the Q80T reviewed on rtings.com. It's up to you if you want to compromise with a soundbar or not. I'd personally get the Q90T because you'll really want the better local dimming from that model. Save up for a soundbar later if you need one.

Eskiboy

Am i overthinking it when it comes to HDMI 2.1? I will only be playing next gen console games on my new tv. What are the chances that these new consoles will actually be able to do 4k 120fps? Am i passing up better tv's just trying to achieve HDMI 2.1?

martin 39

I know the nano cell isnt ment to be the best tv but it seems they do all you need for next gen gaming at a reasonable price. Any reason they dont get a mention if only used for gaming

Dodgexander

Am i overthinking it when it comes to HDMI 2.1? I will only be playing next gen console games on my new tv. What are the chances that these new consoles will actually be able to do 4k 120fps? Am i passing up better tv's just trying to achieve HDMI 2.1?
In the FAQ in the opening post there's a lot I've written about why 120fps isn't the important factor, but instead HDMI 2.1 VRR.
I know the nano cell isnt ment to be the best tv but it seems they do all you need for next gen gaming at a reasonable price. Any reason they dont get a mention if only used for gaming
They aren't all you need. They all have very poor HDR performance, the Nano80/85 are listed therefore at the bottom of this guide. If for some reason people value HDMI 2.1 VRR more than the picture quality of the actual TV, they could go for the Nano85 but its a bit like driving round in a Ford fiesta with flashy wheels.

sp84

Novice Member
Odd question, but I'm mainly asking because I have only ever owned or been in homes with a 50 inch TV.

I have set that as my desired size but obviously have been told the benefits of shopping at 55 inch.

Is it a significant/noticeable difference to having a 55 over a 49/50? By that I mean, is there a chance it could "take over the room"? (Obviously I know it depends on the room) - with a sense of "wow look at the size of that"

I've tried measuring it out with a tape measure but it doesn't give an exact perception of scale to actually having the TV there on the shelf.

Thanks!

MarcBSounds

Standard Member
is there anything worth upgrading from a 49" KS7000 to when used only as a PC monitor for regular PC desktop use and gaming. Don't watch regular TV. Never used TV speakers.

My PC is mainly a DAW PC in a home studio so I can only go max 49" as that's the gap I have between my audio monitors and any taller will stretch my neck to view. Will have HDMI 2.1 GPU in PC and PS5 when released.

Got a 20% discount code from Very also.

Dodgexander

Is it a significant/noticeable difference to having a 55 over a 49/50? By that I mean, is there a chance it could "take over the room"? (Obviously I know it depends on the room) - with a sense of "wow look at the size of that"
More than you think, since the difference is the diagonal. So the bigger you go the more screen estate you get. Is it too big? Thats subjective. This is an AV forum so there's people with 85" TVs in the living room, but there are also people who think more than 32" is too big.

I'd say most people who buy a 50" ending up regretting they didn't go bigger, and the same for 55" with 65". The people who feel the TV is too big tend to be in the minority.

You could make a cardboard cutout or tape some paper together using a template of a new TV. Just be sure to get the width, height dimensions of given TV and don't try and make it using the diagonal measurement.
is there anything worth upgrading from a 49" KS7000 to when used only as a PC monitor for regular PC desktop use and gaming. Don't watch regular TV. Never used TV speakers.

My PC is mainly a DAW PC in a home studio so I can only go max 49" as that's the gap I have between my audio monitors and any taller will stretch my neck to view. Will have HDMI 2.1 GPU in PC and PS5 when released.
Yes, the TVs recommended in this guide at that size. LG CX OLED or if you want an LCD and don't mind lacking HDMI 2.1 features apart from eARC and ALLM, the Sony XH9505.
Got a 20% discount code from Very also.
Usually with discounts like this its only either excluded or reduced for electrical products. If its the first customer offer Very do, its 10% on TVs. Much better idea 1. Waiting at very least for Black Friday, prices are too high now anyway. 2. Shopping from a retailer that bundles in 4-5 extra years of warranty on top of the standard 1 year.

sp84

Novice Member
More than you think, since the difference is the diagonal. So the bigger you go the more screen estate you get. Is it too big? Thats subjective. This is an AV forum so there's people with 85" TVs in the living room, but there are also people who think more than 32" is too big.

I'd say most people who buy a 50" ending up regretting they didn't go bigger, and the same for 55" with 65". The people who feel the TV is too big tend to be in the minority.

You could make a cardboard cutout or tape some paper together using a template of a new TV. Just be sure to get the width, height dimensions of given TV and don't try and make it using the diagonal measurement.

Yes, the TVs recommended in this guide at that size. LG CX OLED or if you want an LCD and don't mind lacking HDMI 2.1 features apart from eARC and ALLM, the Sony XH9505.

Usually with discounts like this its only either excluded or reduced for electrical products. If its the first customer offer Very do, its 10% on TVs. Much better idea 1. Waiting at very least for Black Friday, prices are too high now anyway. 2. Shopping from a retailer that bundles in 4-5 extra years of warranty on top of the standard 1 year.
Thanks as always @Dodgexander !! I may just try the cardboard cutout method! Currently 49/50 seems like my Goldilocks size because of the distance from the TV (and what I've always been used too) - but I really want to see how much difference a 55 would be.

MarcBSounds

Standard Member
If I went OLED I'd probably have Cubase GUI burnt on to the screen within a month so not worth the risk.

The Sony, looks great, but doesn't really offer much over what I have. If I get a TV it's for PC and gaming so it lacking the VRR etc would make me want to upgrade again next year.

Usually with discounts like this its only either excluded or reduced for electrical products. If its the first customer offer Very do, its 10% on TVs.
I tested it on a Samsung £1000 TV and got £200 off at the checkout.

Dodgexander

The Sony, looks great, but doesn't really offer much over what I have. If I get a TV it's for PC and gaming so it lacking the VRR etc would make me want to upgrade again next year.
Think you answered your own question then. Unfortunately you are a victim of manufacturers tarnishing specs at lower sizes, namely Samsung. They didn't do this when you last bought your TV.

Not sure a saving of 20% is worth it considering you can buy elsewhere with better service and an extended warranty. The warranties they bundle alone work out at about 100 a year separately. But maybe you can pay very extra for an extended one.

MarcBSounds

Standard Member
Could you tell me where the code is please son is after a tv
The code was sent to me when they told me they couldn't fulfil an order I placed with them for a PC graphics card.

Think you answered your own question then. Unfortunately you are a victim of manufacturers tarnishing specs at lower sizes, namely Samsung. They didn't do this when you last bought your TV.
Yeah. This is why I asked. I was reading the specs and each set seemed to lower the spec's at 49". I was wondering if I'd maybe missed one out in my search.

Thanks

esco

Novice Member
I have a question about Hisense AE7400 & A7500

I'm looking at the 43 inch versions as I'll be sitting nearby and don't have large budget.

Is the only real difference that the A7500 has a game mode? Also, does the game mode restrict the output to 1080p?

This will be a bedroom TV for Series S. Are they both suitable to upscale content to 4k (as the Series S will output in max 1440p and occasionally in 1080p I imagine) ?

Many thanks

Dodgexander

I have a question about Hisense AE7400 & A7500

I'm looking at the 43 inch versions as I'll be sitting nearby and don't have large budget.

Is the only real difference that the A7500 has a game mode? Also, does the game mode restrict the output to 1080p?

This will be a bedroom TV for Series S. Are they both suitable to upscale content to 4k (as the Series S will output in max 1440p and occasionally in 1080p I imagine) ?

Many thanks
You are getting mixed up rendering resolution and actual resolution.

The Series S will render games at 1440p but this doesn't mean it is going to send the TV a 1440p signal. The console will send the TV a 4k (2160p) signal and upscale it itself.

As for the difference between the two Hisense TVs, they are practically the same TV. I don't think there's any difference, input lag on both will be low, and both have a game mode. Game mode won't restrict output to 1080p.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Oppo launches S1 and R1 4K smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lithe Audio AirPlay 2 ceiling speakers world's first
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett