My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

Dodgexander

There are two TVs in the mid tier section of this guide which would be the models to look at for with a limited budget.

Beware that this kind of budget is not going to get a good all-round gaming TV, features like proper HDR and or 120hz VRR are reserved for high tier models. A TV having Dolby Vision does not mean it can display it problem free.

loczki

Standard Member
Its highly dependent on your own perception of these things, the type of games you play, the conditions you play in etc. Buy from a retailer with a good return policy, so if you are unhappy you can return the TV.

Yeah I think looking at the prices now it's good idea to buy Q90t finally. I'll buy and see how it behave in all the scenarios I am planning to use it.

If I were to choose between Q90T and X90J - I think Q90T is better idea right now right? It's better tv for gaming, and also cheaper atm.

Dodgexander

Yeah I think looking at the prices now it's good idea to buy Q90t finally. I'll buy and see how it behave in all the scenarios I am planning to use it.

If I were to choose between Q90T and X90J - I think Q90T is better idea right now right? It's better tv for gaming, and also cheaper atm.
The Sony X90J is the new X900H which is in the mid tier section, whilst the Q90T is a high tier TV, the Q90T will be cheaper because its older, since its also a better HDR TV (circa 1500nits vs 900 nits) it is better value for money.

davidionx12

Novice Member
Differences outside of picture quality. The TV can accept (but not display) a 120hz input. It has VRR support also.

Other differences include PVR and timeshift, ambient mode and digital butler, the latter is for detecting and controlling various Samsung smart devices. Both TVs are 2021 models and are overpriced at present.
The AU9000 can display a native 120fps at 1080p. The difference between 60-120 is very noticeable to me.

stoke1863

Standard Member
I own a old Philips 55PUS6401 but im wanting to go OLED. I watch all my tv content via Android IPTV, Netflix, Prime and Disney+ ... so if i went with the C1 i would need to buy an Nvidia shield to replicate what my current Philips tv can do adding another £130 to the cost. Also having had Ambilight for last few years i feel i would miss it now.

I have PS5 and XBOX series S, a RTX3080 gaming PC (but dont use it on the TV just my monitor)

so pros of the 706

+cheaper by £250
  • Ambilight
  • android TV

having read these forums i see comments that the SOC in the Philips can not do 120hz with VRR. Is it conformed this 100% is not fixable via firmware? to be honest i dont see this gen of consoles needing 120hz VRR, but i occasionally might want to either stream my PC to the TV, or bring my PC to the TV and the VRR for 4k 120hz would be a life saver but im guessing this is a once in a bluemoon scenario.

i can get the 65706 for £1225. SHould i wait for next years tvs to see if 120hz VRR is possible?

Dodgexander

The AU9000 can display a native 120fps at 1080p. The difference between 60-120 is very noticeable to me.
It can't do native 120hz because it uses a 60hz panel. Samsung let you send 120hz to the display though.
I own a old Philips 55PUS6401 but im wanting to go OLED. I watch all my tv content via Android IPTV, Netflix, Prime and Disney+ ... so if i went with the C1 i would need to buy an Nvidia shield to replicate what my current Philips tv can do adding another £130 to the cost. Also having had Ambilight for last few years i feel i would miss it now.

I have PS5 and XBOX series S, a RTX3080 gaming PC (but dont use it on the TV just my monitor)

so pros of the 706

+cheaper by £250
  • Ambilight
  • android TV

having read these forums i see comments that the SOC in the Philips can not do 120hz with VRR. Is it conformed this 100% is not fixable via firmware? to be honest i dont see this gen of consoles needing 120hz VRR, but i occasionally might want to either stream my PC to the TV, or bring my PC to the TV and the VRR for 4k 120hz would be a life saver but im guessing this is a once in a bluemoon scenario.

i can get the 65706 for £1225. SHould i wait for next years tvs to see if 120hz VRR is possible?
There's not a huge amount between all the OLEDs so I wouldn't worry so much about it.
What you describe I'm guessing is down to the mediatek chipset most TVs use to drive 4k 120hz sources. They all have an issue where the 4k 120hz picture isn't as sharp as the 4k60hz picture, my TV has this problem and I don't even notice it in games, but perhaps you would if you view very close and use a lot of text based games.

LG by comparison use their in-house chip that doesn't suffer from the mediatek issue.

VAblklvs249

After reading a long thread on the Hisense U7QFT on the Hisense forum I am in a bit of a quandary, from a lot of posts it sounds like the tv is a dud:eek:.

Quite a few buyers have had lots of issues and there has been quite a lot of those buyers sent them back for a refund.

Where can we go from here, a different model from Hisense or a different manufacturer?

The U7QFT looked so promising from Phils review and the specs were great for the cost of the set especially now it's at around £500.
Had a nose in at Curries/PC World right before Black Friday sales. Reports of high range Samsung QLEDS being handed back with blown mini-leds. They are not keen on Samsung QLED's at all. They reported annoying blooming issues - they get very bright at a cost!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom