My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

Dodgexander

All, I’m on the look for a new 43” set for the bedroom. Replacing an ancient 32” Samsung.
I’ve had a quick look on RS who have these in stock:

I was initially looking at the LG’s. There is the 7500 £379 & the 7700 £429. Not sure what the difference is for the money?
There are also 2 Philips models at the same price points although never had a Philips before.
If the LGs are prefix UP they are 2021-22 models and aren't in this guide. I will be doing another guide once it becomes more sensible to buy new stock. Presently you'll be looking at spending roughly 60-100 more for these TVs than they are worth.

To give you an idea of where they stand the UP7500 is the new UN7300 and the UP7700 is the new UN7500. Because these TVs are in the same model line, picture quality is the same, but the higher end model will have small differences. For example; the aesthetic design of the TV, or the number of HDMI ports.

Before picking out specific models, first take a read of the opening post of the guide. You must understand that 1. Because of HDR, there's little value nowadays in buying smaller TVs. 2. You have to decide which panel type is most suited to your viewing conditions and preferences.

With the best panel type known, you can then narrow down your choices. If you can I'd advise going for discounted 2020-21 stock rather than overpriced 2021-22 stock. I won't recommend 2021-22 models until around Black Friday onward this year.

low-def.

Thanks for the detailed reply. It’s for a bedroom so I won’t be needing over a 43” screen (that’s pushing it 😬). It will be mostly used in the dark during the later evenings.
I understand the HDR will be very limited on these sets thanks.
The TV will be wall mounted on a full swing arm so viewing angle(s) should be fine.

Dodgexander

Thanks for the detailed reply. It’s for a bedroom so I won’t be needing over a 43” screen (that’s pushing it 😬). It will be mostly used in the dark during the later evenings.
I understand the HDR will be very limited on these sets thanks.
The TV will be wall mounted on a full swing arm so viewing angle(s) should be fine.
For a bedroom TV I'd consider a TV that uses a VA panel instead of IPS, due to better light control in dark conditions. Just beware they have narrow viewing angles.

That means looking at models in the guide with narrow viewing angles. Hisense, TCL and Samsung tend to use VA panels at 43" size.

low-def.

For a bedroom TV I'd consider a TV that uses a VA panel instead of IPS, due to better light control in dark conditions. Just beware they have narrow viewing angles.

That means looking at models in the guide with narrow viewing angles. Hisense, TCL and Samsung tend to use VA panels at 43" size.
Thanks, I’ll have a look at the Samsung’s. Never used or seen a Hisense or TCL.

low-def.

Is there a difference between the Samsung AU8000 £489? & AU9000 £499?

Dodgexander

Is there a difference between the Samsung AU8000 £489? & AU9000 £499?
Differences outside of picture quality. The TV can accept (but not display) a 120hz input. It has VRR support also.

Other differences include PVR and timeshift, ambient mode and digital butler, the latter is for detecting and controlling various Samsung smart devices. Both TVs are 2021 models and are overpriced at present.

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Has anyone looked into either the Hisense QLED 50E76GQTUK or the 50A7GQTUK. The former actually promotes itself as a great gaming TV. I was looking at the Hisense U7Q but the two mentioned have HDMI 2.1 which the U7Q doesn't. Can't find any reviews for either though

Did you end up buying this television? Trying to find out from people who've bought it if it comes with HDMI 2.1 and what the gaming performance is like. Apparently has VRR and ALLM. Seems like a good gaming TV (120hz would have been perfect) for the money, at least on paper.

gizmo750

Did you end up buying this television? Trying to find out from people who've bought it if it comes with HDMI 2.1 and what the gaming performance is like. Apparently has VRR and ALLM. Seems like a good gaming TV (120hz would have been perfect) for the money, at least on paper.
Ended upgoing with the U7Q and for the money I'm very pleased with it

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom