My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

Dodgexander

By the way the tv is available as a 50" as well as the 55" which was the thread with the bad feeback. Is it possible the 50" screen would be any different in reliability/issues. I am clutching a straws here:(
There's bad feedback on every TV. Unless the TV is not popular, in which case there are less people to comment on the bad feedback. All sizes of the U7Q should be identical.

All comes down to where to make your compromises. Some people may be put off by the fact Hisense use a very basic and buggier smart OS and prefer to go with Samsung instead. But then if you go with Samsung instead you basically get unusable HDR in all titles.

Should think about panel types too. VA panels have more blur than IPS. So they may prefer one panel type over another.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Thank's Dodge, appreciate all tv's have some bad feeback even the expensive ones. I have a £2k OLED and some moan about that model too, there is probably no perfect tv at any price:)

I don't think the smart features are that important to them as they can access that side of things via the PS5.

I will relay all the info to them and see where we go from here. I suspect there will be no more money available though so might just have to take pot luck with the Hisense and hope it's ok.

Dodgexander

Thank's Dodge, appreciate all tv's have some bad feeback even the expensive ones. I have a £2k OLED and some moan about that model too, there is probably no perfect tv at any price:)

I don't think the smart features are that important to them as they can access that side of things via the PS5.

I will relay all the info to them and see where we go from here. I suspect there will be no more money available though so might just have to take pot luck with the Hisense and hope it's ok.
No problem. If they can't raise the budget to a high tier model, or at least a mid tier like the Sony XH9005 then you should determine whether they want a TV that uses a VA panel or IPS. For gamers its a very important choice since VA has better blacks, uniformity and contrast. But IPS has less motion blur and better viewing angles.

If they want a TV using an IPS panel, you can't consider 50" models like the U7Q or even the 50" Samsung's and should be looking at 49" models from LG instead. For example, the Nano85/86 series.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Thank you will take a look at the LG Nano 85/86 series @ 49" so what those look like, although viewing angles are not a problem for them as they sit straight on to the tv. I suspect the VA is better for them if it has better blacks uniformity and contrast.

Is the U7Q 55" an IPS or VA?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Thanks Dodge my daughter is now considering upping the budget and just getting one tv for now and waiting for a second 2nd tv till later on.

Assuming she wants most of her wish list, would £700 £800 be enough or what would have to be found to get a first class LCD/ULED that is free of most of the bug bears of the £500 sets.

Suitable for gaming with PS5, decent HDR/good black/contrast levels/ most HDR versions/low lag/ wide viewing angle not to critical.,

And can you specify a few solid 48"-55" models that I can look into please.

Cheers

Keith

Dodgexander

Thanks Dodge my daughter is now considering upping the budget and just getting one tv for now and waiting for a second 2nd tv till later on.

Assuming she wants most of her wish list, would £700 £800 be enough or what would have to be found to get a first class LCD/ULED that is free of most of the bug bears of the £500 sets.

Suitable for gaming with PS5, decent HDR/good black/contrast levels/ most HDR versions/low lag/ wide viewing angle not to critical.,

And can you specify a few solid 48"-55" models that I can look into please.

Cheers

Keith
That would open up TVs like the Hisense U8Q and Sony XH9005. The Samsung Q80T which ticks all boxes is around £1000 and the cheapest way to get everything right.

With the two mentioned TVs is about choosing your compromises. The Sony has support for a 120hz input and has variable refresh rate support planned, although it does have a problem with constant blur in 120hz mode. The downside is the Sony barely gets much brighter than the cheaper Hisense U7Q at only 750nits, which falls short of the 1000 baseline. Sony's smart system is pretty decent, and the TV feels fast to use.

The Hisense U8Q on the other hand can reach around 1500 nits and will be give less problems when using the TV with HDR content than the Sony, but despite having a 120hz panel will run games only at 60hz not 120hz. It also has a problem with blur, but only with darker colours and only in certain content.

If you step down to 49" your options are slim, there's not as much choice at smaller sizes and TVs have worse specs. The TV to go for at 49" would be the Sony XH9505 but I think its over budget.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Brilliant :thumbsup: , thanks Dodge will see if we can stretch to those and will bone up on those models.:)

steb9780

Could be worth waiting to see if there are any price drops with new models coming out. The Q80T was as low as £800-£900 around Xmas. Could be worth holding out a little while longer to see what drops start happening. Will get all the benefits of the new console with that TV. Seen one with an xbox series x and it looked really good the HDR was brilliant.

steb9780

I have found the 75" Q95T for £1724.

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on that.

Excellent price that. I have a 55 and 65 inch one. Love the tv. That price is excellent, got the 65" for around £1800 in November (was 2k but sold free soundbar for £200). So to get 75" for that price is excellent. My 55" is a near perfect screen. Never notice the FALD grid or much DSE. I wasn't as lucky with the 65". It shows some FALD grid on lower quality content, with solid backgrounds that are moving. Its odd as its pretty much non existent on 4k blu rays and xbox games. Its not as bad as some examples i have seen, but i notice it. The missus doesn't see it. I am toying with getting samsung to replace the panel, but might end up worse.

so as i understand in non oled at 55" if one can afford it , x950h is the way to go for lcd , if you are willing to sacrifice hdmi 2.1 120hz. Is 2.1 hdmi actually usefull in gaming? if we had two same tvs side by side, and play same game on ps5 or anything, hdmi 2.0b on one and 2.1 on the other... what would be the diference on human eye? lets say 4k,60hz+hdr. or let me put it, this way.
x900h with latest update on 4k 120hz hdr vs x950h 4k 60hz hdr.

[email protected]

Just came across this thread when trying to do some research on the 65AE7400.......anyone seen an actual proper review?
It's on offer at Costco with 5 year warrantyu for £468.99 at the moment, so keen to find out how it compares!

Jotatvsmonitors

So, do you think the new LCD of sony (2021 "j") will be like xh90 (2020) that can not reproduce hdmi 2.1 content?

(2021 LCD not all tvs does not have vrr, like xh90)

The only tv With gaming specs below 48' is only one of all the tvs of 2021, the sony x85j 43', some people recommended me Monitors but Monitors lack lot of things

Will sony x85j be a good one? Its a edge led, so hdr can still be great?

Last edited:

Dodgexander

So, do you think the new LCD of sony (2021 "j") will be like xh90 (2020) that can not reproduce hdmi 2.1 content?

(2021 LCD tvs does not have vrr, like xh90)

The only tv With gaming specs below 48' is only one of all the tvs of 2021, the sony x85j 43', some people recommended me Monitors but Monitors lack lot of things

Will sony x85j be a good one? Its a edge led, so hdr can still be great?
Do you mean it won't reproduce HDR content very well? That entirely depends on the peak brightness and local dimming performance of the TV. We'll know more when we see reviews.

Smaller TVs/lower range than the X90 will definitely not be suitable TVs, those will be edge lit with lower brightness and no local dimming at all.

At smaller sizes, TVs have worse specs, if the trend continues in 21 the Sony X85J at 43" will use a 120hz IPS panel, its HDR capabilities will be woeful.

Jotatvsmonitors

Do you mean it won't reproduce HDR content very well? That entirely depends on the peak brightness and local dimming performance of the TV. We'll know more when we see reviews.

Smaller TVs/lower range than the X90 will definitely not be suitable TVs, those will be edge lit with lower brightness and no local dimming at all.

At smaller sizes, TVs have worse specs, if the trend continues in 21 the Sony X85J at 43" will use a 120hz IPS panel, its HDR capabilities will be woeful.
Salutes Dogexander as always thanks for commenting

Thing is I ask cause I only hace 2,7 or 2,9 meters to the tv, cx 55" I can purchase it at a good minimum price, but will it be a lot big for less than 3 meters?
I have a 32inch, size comparison says that 55 is 175% larger, so huge xDD, that is why I asked about a 43", and the only one, x85j

(48 cx is like 250 or 300 more money than cx, and for that price c1 of 48 is best, its also an option, instead of 175%, 125%, but for more money how weird xDD)

Spectator

Salutes Dogexander as always thanks for commenting

Thing is I ask cause I only hace 2,7 or 2,9 meters to the tv, cx 55" I can purchase it at a good minimum price, but will it be a lot big for less than 3 meters?
I have a 32inch, size comparison says that 55 is 175% larger, so huge xDD, that is why I asked about a 43", and the only one, x85j

(48 cx is like 250 or 300 more money than cx, and for that price c1 of 48 is best, its also an option, instead of 175%, 125%, but for more money how weird xDD)

For movie viewing recommended distance is ~2 metres for 65", and mixed usage ~2,7 metres for 65".

So no, 55" is not too big for under 3 metres distance. You can't see 4K vs 1080p difference from your distance with a 55" TV.

Jotatvsmonitors

For movie viewing recommended distance is ~2 metres for 65", and mixed usage ~2,7 metres for 65".

So no, 55" is not too big for under 3 metres distance. You can't see 4K vs 1080p difference from your distance with a 55" TV.

Yeah I read about 4k "having to" watch closer to see that true quality

I was concerned about blue light of a 55" and with hdr (100% brightness) just in front of you, it has blue light certificate the cx, so well, even some experts say watch tv is not bad

48" is great also, but so more expensive, it may does not worht it for that price
Thanks for commenting

Jotatvsmonitors

How much price difference is C1 worth over CX?
Better processor, webos6

And the new "game optimiser" (what it does?)

As nowadays I can get cx 48" 450 less costly than c1 48", in a few days more difference, what do you think how much worth be the difference to purchase c1 over hundreds less money cx?

Dodgexander

How much price difference is C1 worth over CX?
Better processor, webos6

And the new "game optimiser" (what it does?)

As nowadays I can get cx 48" 450 less costly than c1 48", in a few days more difference, what do you think how much worth be the difference to purchase c1 over hundreds less money cx?
Isn't usually until Black Friday each year before prices on new TVs become reasonable enough to recommend. This is why I don't make my guides each year until closer to that date. Before then its very unusual to see a new TV worth the extra, and the C1 vx CX is no different. They are practically the same TVs. At most, I would pay £100 extra for the new model. If you want the features the C1 has, then wait and delay your purchase to a date when the price has been reduced.
As for game optmiser, it can't even be used with VRR or ALLM enabled:

Jotatvsmonitors

Salutes, this may be little off topic but man no one answers in threads nor in subreddits Oled.

Maybe someone knows what are the best audio settings for Oled CX?

Picture settings there are lot of guides an articles, but nothing about the sound settings, and you have to choose what is best for PS5 3D sound

I have Dolby Atmos on and Oled Surround on, but what mode is best? Or what other settings you have to switch?
I have the headsets plugrd vía USB to the Ps5 so I leave also TV speakers on and 0 volumen)

Thanks in advance if someone comments and excuses for the off topic

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Salutes, this may be little off topic but man no one answers in threads nor in subreddits Oled.

Maybe someone knows what are the best audio settings for Oled CX?

Picture settings there are lot of guides an articles, but nothing about the sound settings, and you have to choose what is best for PS5 3D sound

I have Dolby Atmos on and Oled Surround on, but what mode is best? Or what other settings you have to switch?
I have the headsets plugrd vía USB to the Ps5 so I leave also TV speakers on and 0 volumen)

Thanks in advance if someone comments and excuses for the off topic
If you're using a headset plugged into the PS5 the TV has nothing to do with the audio your receive.

If you want to take advantage of Dolby Atmos you need a supported speaker system or soundbar connected to the TV via HDMI and you need to use that, not your headset.

Ideally a setup with dedicated height/ceiling speakers is best to reproduce the sound. Integrated TV audio won't be good with atmos, but it can 'virtualise' it if you want it too. Up to you which setting you choose when using the audio on the TV, there's no best.

For any more advice on the CX you should check this thread:

Last edited:

Jotatvsmonitors

If you're using a headset plugged into the PS5 the TV has nothing to do with the audio your receive.

If you want to take advantage of Dolby Atmos you need a supported speaker system or soundbar connected to the TV via HDMI and you need to use that, not your headset.

Ideally a setup with dedicated height/ceiling speakers is best to reproduce the sound. Integrated TV audio won't be good with atmos, but it can 'virtualise' it if you want it too. Up to you which setting you choose when using the audio on the TV, there's no best.

For any more advice on the CX you should check this thread:

Salutes Dodgexander, ok thanks for commenting really so helpful as always man

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published