my beloved alphason Sonata has...........

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
broken one of its platter adjusting pillars . At least the shredded rod inside which is no more than 1-2 milimetres in diametre. It happened in transit ; the subchassis, to which the rods are attached, is very heavy and and I guess the movement must have broken it. I am absolutely gutted as spare parts just arent available anymore:( I hadnt used it for some time and although I knew it had to adjusted prior to transport it seems I took the wrong option ie instead of tightening the subchasis to plinth I did the reverse ie tightened the platter to the plinth which meant the sunbchasis was free to move allover the place . Mmm wondering the b est option now. The rest of the deck is fine as is the arm. Maybe I should sell it on Ebay for spares and seek a replacement ie Rega Planer 5 or Michell Technodec or one of the Project decks/ any suggestion would be most welcome. Must be rigid though . I'll never have another suspended subchassis design

Thekop

In my opinion the Alphason Sonata was a lovely turntable in its day ( certainly one of my favorites in its era ) but like most suspended decks, they do need a lot of TLC. I feel your pain... :(

There is no lack of choice when it comes to modern turntables though. A deck that I've listened too recently was the Funk Firm Funk and Funk V with a Rega RB300 and Roksan cartridge. It was quite superb and i was very tempted in getting one myself.. Here's a photo of one if you haven't seen one before.. :smashin:

Other choices are the ones you've listed and also the Roksan Radiaus 5 with Nima arm..

Obviously it's down to how much you want to spend.. But I'd start with those as a guidence..

Goodluck

Tim :)

al73

Standard Member
Hi

You may want to try Andrew @ vinyl guru's Doug Brady Hifi (01925 828009). If anyone can repare the Sonata he can. He fixed my Pink Triangle Export when all other dealers told me it was a lost cause. Its worth a shot.

Good luck.

Al

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Hi

You may want to try Andrew @ vinyl guru's Doug Brady Hifi (01925 828009). If anyone can repare the Sonata he can. He fixed my Pink Triangle Export when all other dealers told me it was a lost cause. Its worth a shot.

Good luck.

Al

how far do you live from him. I live in Sussex which would mean two very long journeys:( Still I my consider it.
Someone suggested I find a local engineer but i am not sure i could trust someone who is not well versed with turntables , particulalry this one.

Beobloke

broken one of its platter adjusting pillars . At least the shredded rod inside which is no more than 1-2 milimetres in diametre. It happened in transit ; the subchassis, to which the rods are attached, is very heavy and and I guess the movement must have broken it. I am absolutely gutted as spare parts just arent available anymore:( I hadnt used it for some time and although I knew it had to adjusted prior to transport it seems I took the wrong option ie instead of tightening the subchasis to plinth I did the reverse ie tightened the platter to the plinth which meant the sunbchasis was free to move allover the place . Mmm wondering the b est option now. The rest of the deck is fine as is the arm. Maybe I should sell it on Ebay for spares and seek a replacement ie Rega Planer 5 or Michell Technodec or one of the Project decks/ any suggestion would be most welcome. Must be rigid though . I'll never have another suspended subchassis design

Ouch! Sorry to hear that LGS - that's a sad thing to happen to a beautiful deck. If you do decide to get rid of the remains to buy something new rather than repair it, drop me a PM, but i would say it's well worth having repaired.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Yeah I am going to try to get it fixed . So far I have 3 who are willing to try.The nearest in Fareham
-http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/C/2002/REPAIRS/

It may be that the thread has just come adrift ( I cant see a stub remaining at the other end)but I sure cannot reconnect it.I almost tempted to remove the arm turn it over remove the underside and see what i can find:eek:

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
finally managed to fix it . Got in touch with Haden Boardman who use to assemble them and he put me through my paces:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom