My bedroom setup plan (With Pictures) - Good ?

HappyLemon1983

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok, this ia my "plan" for my bedroom setup, is everything ok, any other recomendations etc. ?

I will have the V363 amp + Yamaha Speakers + Yamaha dvd player and the Panasonic 42PX80 Plasma as tv.

my.php

Note: With "Composite" I mean the 3 scart cable things, video L/R Audio :)

I wouldn't bother sending the video from the satelite box thu the amp. Composite video is about the worse you can get, you will be better off connecting straight to the tv via a fully wired scart to get RGB video. Possibly the same for the PS2, if you can get a RGB scart lead for it and not just a convertor that takes composite video and l/r audio to a scart connection.

As was mentioned in the your other thread, if you really want to connect the ps2 and satelite video output thru the amp, then get RGB scart to component convertor, and a ps2 component cable.

Then you would run a component cable from the amp to the tv (assuming your tv has a component input).

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ok, so keep everything the same except: Satelite/Ps2 which is put through the amp via scart/ps2 -> Component and then a component cable from the amp -> tv the tv has 1 component input.

Component is only video isent it ? So I would use optical audio for the PS2 but what about the Sat box, or do oyu get a component cable with 4 cables, 3 video and then a sound one ?

Anyone else has anything to say about it ? :)

(EDIT)

A cable liek this for the sat box, right ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-PHONO...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223202113&sr=8-1

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
What satelite box do you have? Does it support output of component video over scart (very few devices do)(If its a sky box, it definatley doesn't)? If it doesn't then that cable won't work. You need a convertor.

Is there any other audio output on your satelite? Red/white rca output or optical out perhaps? Use those for audio to amp.

As I have already said there is not much advantage in sending the video thru the amp for the satelite (straight to tv scart via fully wired scart is cheaper/easier). But if you really want to put the video thru the amp from the sat and it has no other connections for audio other than scart, then this convertor will change the RBG video to component video and break out the audio from the scart to two RCA connections. However it is a bit pricey.

The sat box is from Sweden and has the following outputs:

A yellow one called "Video"
A black one called "Digital Audio out"
White "L Audio"
Red "R Audio"
And a Standard Scart

So, what do I use ? :)

And yes I do want to put everything through my amp :)

And yes I do want to put everything through my amp :)

Ok thats your personal choice, but with the amp you have chosen you get no advantage sending the video thru the amp. It does not do anything with the video, just redirects it to the approriate output. I.e. HDMI in goes to HDMI out and component in goes to component out etc.

As for your satelilte box, I would use the digital audio out for the audio. This will either be a optical or a coax output. If its coax it will look similar to the white or red audio out.

Did you check if it can output component over scart. There will be a setting for scart output that will let you select YUV or YprYpb output if it does.

I will check if it does component through scart soon, but if it doesent, which I doubt it actually will, what do I do then ? What is the video (yellow) one for, can I maybe use that one ?

Also the amp im going to get only has 2 Optical and 1 Coaxial sound inputs, and ill be using them for the PS2/PC/DVD Unless I use a PS2 Component cable and get one which has audio, if you know what I mean :)

And another quick important question:

If I put in a optical audio cable into the port labelled "cd" and then put a hdmi into the one labelled "dvd" I can still use Audio/Video at the same time cant I ? They dont need to be put into ports that have the same name ?

You can assign digital inputs to video inputs, so it doesn't matter which you plug in as long as you assign them to the same video input.

If your satelite reciever doesn't do 5.1 sound then you could use the red/white audio out to connect to amp. You can also buy optical to coax convertors, if none of your kit currently have a coax out (your DVD might). So PS2 and PC via optical, satelite via red/white rca and dvd via coax (possibly via a convertor).

What is the video (yellow) one for, can I maybe use that one ?

Yes you could use it, but it is for composite video and it will give you the worse possible video quality. If you want the best quality and insist on putting the video thru the amp then you need a RGB scart to Component convertor. Which is probably gonna be ~£70. or you could just take the scart straight to the tv giving you the same quality as using the convertor. Audio only to the amp from the satelite.

BTW. This may be useful.

Last edited:
Ok, so connecting the scart straight to the tv will give better quality then using composite through the amp ?

And if I use Scart and the L/R audio, will the sound and picture quality still be good ? I know it wont be amazing, but thats the best option then ?

I dont want to spend £70 on a converter or anything like that..

Yes for the video, as i have already told you several times. For the audio, it all depends if your satelite box is capable of outputting 5.1 digital surround over the optical, if it isn't then stereo is the best your gonna get and the l/r audio output to the amp will be fine.

It has a "Digital Audio out" which I assume is Coaxial ?

Would that be better to use ?

It would be better to use if you can get 5.1 surround sound out of it, but you were saying earlier, you were struggling on digital inputs into the amp. So if it is only stereo, you can use the l/r audio out to save a digital input for your other devices which do porvide 5.1 audio.

I would double check the manual as a lot of the lower end stuff can't assign inputs so if you use the same named input for both audio and video. I'm 99% certain this is the case with that Yamaha but check the online manual to be sure.

P49 of online manual, I linked to earlier seems to indicate you can assign digital inputs.

Was still on the first page so dident see you had posted, I looked again and is it Page 51/52/53, but again I dont really get it, can you explain :rolleyes:

P49 (by the page number listed on the bottom of the page) of the manual (as i said earlier)

Use this menu to reassign the input jacks, select the input mode or rename the input source.
■ Input assignment
A)INPUT ASSIGN
Use this feature to assign the input jacks according to the component to be used if the initial settings of this unit do not correspond to your needs. Change the following parameters to reassign the respective jacks and effectively connect more components.
Once the input jacks are reassigned, you can select the corresponding component by using INPUT (or the input selector buttons (4) on the remote control).

For DIGITAL INPUT COAXIAL jack 1
IN (1)
Choices: (1) CD, MD/CD-R, DVD, DTV/CBL, V-AUX, DVR
For DIGITAL INPUT OPTICAL jacks 2 and 3
IN (2)
IN (3)
Choices:
(2) CD, MD/CD-R, DVD, DTV/CBL, V-AUX, DVR
(3) CD, MD/CD-R, DVD, DTV/CBL, V-AUX, DVR
• You cannot select a specific item more than once.
• You cannot assign the same input source to both “IN (2)” and “IN (3)”. For example, you assign "CD” to “IN (2)”, “–––”
appears in “IN (3)”.

So whatever digital audio input you use (coax, opt1 or opt2), you select the appropriate video input for it. For example, you connect your DVD via component to the DVD input and via optical to opt1. You then assign opt1 to DVD.

Last edited:
OK!!

Page 51 Section 2

It says: Input Menu

Use this to re-assign input jacks and select input mode, is that something to do with it ?

Its just the fact they start numbering from the third page after the cover and warnings bit. The PDF just goes by the total number of pages. I always quote the actual page number in the manual rather than the PDF page number as somebody may be looking up a real paper copy.

Did you read my post about input assign?

I have now :)

I was in a hurry last night so I wasent paying much attention :rotfl:

Dwhite thannks a lot, youve helped me with loads of stuff ! :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom