Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

My Bedroom / HC conversion (in progress)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Ciqala, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Ciqala

Ciqala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the start of a mini log of my new bedroom/home cinema installation. :)

the end goal is to have a room that works as a nice clean functional bedroom but also allows me to relax and watch films / play some games. it unfortunately also has to house my huge bed which means i probably wont be able to fit some funky sofa in there like i wanted but my beds comfy enough for two ;)

I have just finished most of the painting stage. just need to tidy the edges up of the screen wall so that i have a neat transition from brown to ivory. the finish on the walls in the corners is pretty rough so i might have to use some beading painted brown in the corners to tidy it up nicely.

attached are pics of the newly finished paint job which gives an idea of the decor scheme of the room. the bed will go under the windowsill with the pj above it. the screen will be mounted on the brown wall and the cupboard you can see is going to function as my av storage with a channel running between shelves and up into the loft for power and to run cable to the pj / surround speakers.

colours used are dulux jamaican ginger 1 vinyl matt (brown) and dulux once ivory matt. (small tip i learnt from inept b&q staff... jamaican ginger when mixed using the wrong base i,e satinwood actually comes out purple and no matter what the guy says it wont go darker when it dries and turn brown which means you have to go back to the store to replace it :) )

i know its not much to go on just yet but its very much a work in progress i'll try my best to keep things updated as they happen.

Ciq

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      Size:
      16.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      Size:
      32.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      Size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      Size:
      33.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      Size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
  2. garylythgoe

garylythgoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Looks really good so far mate!

Im in the same situation (bedroom bound) and wanted a Home Cinema Style room.. Which is clean and clutter free!

I finished painting mine on Monday Night and Just started moving everything in place last night (speakers and screen in place) and bed in place! Next up is PC equipment and then connecting it all up!

I see you chose Ivory... Just like me! :D It was a Dulux Colour called Ivory Lace in Rich Matt :cool:

Good luck with it, its hard work on your own! :smashin:

3. Ciqala

Ciqala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok had a major step forward yesterday.

had the nice people from sky and telewest come to re-route my phone socket and sky into this room and also very kindly put them inside the cupboard out of sight :D

i also managed to hang the screen and ceiling mount the projector. however the ceiling apparently isnt straight as when mounting the screen using a spirit level it drops a cm or two on the right lower from the ceiling than it does on the left, but then i'm sure only i would notice it.

the other foible is we mounted the pj what i think is about 6 inches too close to the screen. theres a gap around the edge of about 1" which again doesnt notice when you watch but i know its there. i'll probably re-do the mount in a few weeks once everything else is done.

have also fitted a single gang varilight remote dimmer since my first post for some turn the lights off without leaving your bed style laziness. :D

still to do...

make some new shelves for my av cupboard.
    put together my new dvd racks, wardrobe and chest of drawers from ikea.
    decide where to put my new 17" lcd tv (for general sky viewing).
    decide what to do regarding speakers and placement/fixing.

i'll upload some updated pics tonight.

4. Ciqala

Ciqala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok heres a few pics... the first with the lights on is to show size of screen the others are what its like with the lights off :)

excuse the content of the pics, i just chose random movies on sky and they were the bits that were on at the time :D .

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      Size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      Size:
      16 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      Size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
  5. OvertoneBliss

OvertoneBliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is looking really good, I must say! :).

I'm going to be doing something very similiar to this in the next couple of months.

Phil.