My Bedroom AV setup

As with the rest of your room the projector setup looks excellent! The screen drops nicely between the speakers and everything just looks so tidy (no cables in sight) and well laid out.

Could I ask what screen that is you are using? Apologies if you've said already but couldnt see any mention. I am in the process of deciding on a screen and im torn between 3 very similar 106" screens, Panoview, Sapphire and Eyeline. All look very similar and have similar features, IR and 12v trigger etc but the eyeline is just edging it due to the larger drop and is slightly cheaper.

Interested to find out what you are using as it looks the business.

Top Job :smashin:

As with the rest of your room the projector setup looks excellent! The screen drops nicely between the speakers and everything just looks so tidy (no cables in sight) and well laid out.

Could I ask what screen that is you are using? Apologies if you've said already but couldnt see any mention. I am in the process of deciding on a screen and im torn between 3 very similar 106" screens, Panoview, Sapphire and Eyeline. All look very similar and have similar features, IR and 12v trigger etc but the eyeline is just edging it due to the larger drop and is slightly cheaper.

Interested to find out what you are using as it looks the business.

Top Job :smashin:

Thanks for that :)

Yeah I too noticed that several of the electric screens all looked slightly the same and when I enquired with an assured advertiser on AVF they let me know that the Saphire and Eyeline screens are the same material as they leave the same factory and are then made in different packages the main difference between them is the saphire has a 3yr warranty and the Eyeline has 18 months. Since that conversation I have also been told that the budget Beamax screens are also the same material and the casing looks extremely similar if not identical but the Beamax was a fair bit more expensive.

So I thought I'd take a chance on the Eyeline Pro, it arrived next day delivery and was totally complete with all required, it even had a 10 metre 2.5 - 3.5 12v trigger cable which was handy as I was about to make one up!

It's operation seems good and was easy to set up, It seems fairly quiet when dropping down but I have nothing to compare it too, its a dull sort of noise so nothing bad and happens quickly, its only a couple of weeks old now but I think I would recommend it for someone wanting a budget electric screen. Perhaps I will upgrade in the future but for now it seems to do a good job :smashin:

Excellent! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. The added warrenty on the Sapphire was a selling point for me but Id basically be paying an extra £70 for that. I think youve made up my mind.

I Just need to hurry up with the rest of my decorating so I can get it up. Ive got an Optoma HD20 waiting to go on the ceiling but its been stuck in its box for the last 6 months while I renovate the house. Starting to get impatient.

Cheers :thumbsup:

shug_06 said:
Excellent! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. The added warrenty on the Sapphire was a selling point for me but Id basically be paying an extra £70 for that. I think youve made up my mind.

I Just need to hurry up with the rest of my decorating so I can get it up. Ive got an Optoma HD20 waiting to go on the ceiling but its been stuck in its box for the last 6 months while I renovate the house. Starting to get impatient.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Glad to help :)

The only tiny niggles I had was the end cap that covers the ports for network, 12v and IR extender just hangs there when cables are in, I wish the cables could be inside the area with the hatch closed for neatness, no big deal though...

The other small mistake I made mounting it was I centred it perfectly in the room, was bang on! I was pleased until I noticed it was off-centre when dropped down to the plasma as I centred the screen casing and not the screen, d'oh! The screen is off centred in its casing for the mechanics I guess, oops, due to the mount brackets it was an easy fix though :)

Yeah I did notice the silly flap on a picture on projectorpoint but I think I can live with it for the price, just could have been a bit better thought out. You dont notice it on any of your pictures though with it being on the far left. If its boxed in then it wouldnt be a problem, similarly if you just used the remote in stead of 12v trigger but im going to use the trigger and wont be boxing in, at least not for a while.

The brackets are a major plus, being able to adjust the screen position, especially seens I dont have lense shift, gives me a bit of room for error when fitting it up. That reminds me, I need to lift a few floor boards in the room above before the new carpet goes down and put some wood between the joists for mounting to.

Brilliant work again, Brian! :thumbsup:

How far do you sit from the screen? I've been thinking of getting a 50" for my room for some time (currently have a 32") but have been worried that the viewing distance might not be right. Seeing your new screen though, I'm thinking it's probably going to be ok :laugh:

Brilliant work again, Brian! :thumbsup:

How far do you sit from the screen? I've been thinking of getting a 50" for my room for some time (currently have a 32") but have been worried that the viewing distance might not be right. Seeing your new screen though, I'm thinking it's probably going to be ok :laugh:

Hi and thanks, I sit about 11 foot from the screen(s) and the scale seems good, I don't have to move my head from side to side to watch the PJ screen it all fits nicely into the FOV, how far would you fit form the prospective new 50" TV?

I have had a few people round checking out the PJ and they have really enjoyed it and comments were positive apart from one friend who thought I should have gone bigger! :laugh: it would be nice but I have to remember its only a smallish bedroom.

Here's a couple of other screen shots of the PJ in action, again sadly only iPad images but give you an idea of how it looks:

01brh.jpg

02brw.jpg

04loa.jpg

It looks like there is a curve on the screen but thats just the lens effect...

Still in two minds on what to do if anything with the room, keep it white as I like it white or do some room treatment in the search of better IQ, either way I have been really enjoying watching the movies to test it, worked my way through the first 5 James Bond movies from the Bond 50 Blu collection this week, its a tough life :rolleyes:

It just gets better and better with you brian, looks amazing mate.:smashin:

Thanks mate :)

Just noticed your signature, did you replace the Monitor Audio speakers with the KEF's? How are you finding them? Always a fan of KEF's was my first proper hifi speakers back in the day when I got KEF Reference 102's, loved those things!

Hi and thanks, I sit about 11 foot from the screen(s) and the scale seems good, I don't have to move my head from side to side to watch the PJ screen it all fits nicely into the FOV, how far would you fit form the prospective new 50" TV?

I have had a few people round checking out the PJ and they have really enjoyed it and comments were positive apart from one friend who thought I should have gone bigger! :laugh: it would be nice but I have to remember its only a smallish bedroom.

I sit around 7ft8" from the TV. What do you reckon?

I originally wanted a 46" plasma, but it seems no one's doing under 50" these days.

I sit around 7ft8" from the TV. What do you reckon?

I originally wanted a 46" plasma, but it seems no one's doing under 50" these days.

7ft does seem fairly close for 50"? hard to say though, I just moved my chair in closer to that range and the picture was still lovely and clear and I was not even close being able to detect pixels or anything...

I know what you man about the range of 40"+ plasmas these days, slim-pickens! I think is there not still a couple of 42" Panny plasmas? I dont know much about the current crop of models though, I would be trying to get some demo's myself...

EDIT: while the chair was 7ft away the picture was good but I was on an HD TV channel, changed to SD and was pretty dire at that size and closeness, but then SD looks pretty dire anyway ;)

Thanks mate :)

Just noticed your signature, did you replace the Monitor Audio speakers with the KEF's? How are you finding them? Always a fan of KEF's was my first proper hifi speakers back in the day when I got KEF Reference 102's, loved those things!

Yeah the monitor audios went a while ago now, the kef r100s really are amazing little speakers inconjuction with the arcam i'm in audio bliss.:D

7ft does seem fairly close for 50"? hard to say though, I just moved my chair in closer to that range and the picture was still lovely and clear and I was not even close being able to detect pixels or anything...

I know what you man about the range of 40"+ plasmas these days, slim-pickens! I think is there not still a couple of 42" Panny plasmas? I dont know much about the current crop of models though, I would be trying to get some demo's myself...

EDIT: while the chair was 7ft away the picture was good but I was on an HD TV channel, changed to SD and was pretty dire at that size and closeness, but then SD looks pretty dire anyway ;)

Thanks for doing that :thumbsup:

The room is actually 12ft long, so I could actually could sit around 10ft back. So maybe that would be alright?

Thanks for doing that :thumbsup:

The room is actually 12ft long, so I could actually could sit around 10ft back. So maybe that would be alright?

Yeah 10ft is pretty good distance I think, I'm only a little further than that and TV looks great, must say I still love the D8000 plasma, apart from the usual plasma buzz it has the best motion handling I have ever seen on a TV, would love to go for the newer models with new black levels but I need to stop replacing TV's so quick as they aint cheep :D

Yeah 10ft is pretty good distance I think, I'm only a little further than that and TV looks great, must say I still love the D8000 plasma, apart from the usual plasma buzz it has the best motion handling I have ever seen on a TV, would love to go for the newer models with new black levels but I need to stop replacing TV's so quick as they aint cheep :D

Yeh, it's the new 51" Samsung plasma that I've got my eye on this year :D

Yeh, it's the new 51" Samsung plasma that I've got my eye on this year :D

It would be my choice for sure, the thought of the same type of image I currently have with better processing and better blacks sounds great, the bells and whistles (media stuff) doesn't interest me as better kit does those jobs but nice to have anyway, look forward to your thoughts when you get one :)

The only downside I have had is mine failed, started making a seriously loud buzzing noise, called Samsung and they sent an engineer who took it away and they replaced the actual panel inside, hopefully this one lasts the test of time as I was given this TV as a free replacement I didn't get an extended warranty so here's hoping but my mate got on from Costco after seeing mine when they were being sold off at end of line and his failed too :blush: luckily Costco gave 5 years warranty as standard and it was being sold really cheep... lucky!

I take it you haven't seen the Samsung 74" LED - shame its only 1080p, would have expected more for nearly £7.5K :eek: From a TV though, I saw it in John Lewis and it looked incredible, made my 55" D7000 look tiny :(

Brian, mate the room was asking for a PJ and it looks stunning! I guess the number one question is - are you happy with it? :)

I take it you haven't seen the Samsung 74" LED - shame its only 1080p, would have expected more for nearly £7.5K :eek: From a TV though, I saw it in John Lewis and it looked incredible, made my 55" D7000 look tiny :(

Brian, mate the room was asking for a PJ and it looks stunning! I guess the number one question is - are you happy with it? :)

Hi Phil, and thanks mate :smashin:

Yeah seen the big Samsung LED, pretty stunning but sure not got that sort of cash for a TV just now :blush: but also just too big for the room, I know my PJ screen is bigger but for normal TV I watch the plasma and for movies I watch the PJ, this way it feels more of an event too, I don't want to get used to a massive screen for the horrid broadcast stuff, we are getting there though eh?

Regarding the question, yes I am very happy with the JVC projector, tbh it is very stunning, I can only imagine the newer better ones but this was the limits of my budget, the performance of the PJ though blows me away, I have spent some time trying my best to do the basics in calibration using the AVSHD709 disc and S&M and am really happy, I think the only improvements would be major room environment changes in terms of darkness, this would improve the contrast a fair bit I would think but right now I am happy enough to leave it and live with it until I know what changes I will make if any and also save-up for the changes too.

I have had now a few people round watching it and they have all been very complimentary (maybe not wanting to offend) but the comments are usually the same as my own thoughts so I know we are on the same page, it was a big purchase for me especially for a bedroom setup but so far very happy :thumbsup:

Just read the whole thread for the first time! Absolutely love it! I've also worked my way through various Arcam/B&W combo's and even a Spectral stand! so I like your choice of equipment.

Been using Apple TV and Express for music for years too but recently added Sonos to the mix. Have you considered Sonos at all? Arcam now sell a specific DAC made especially for it. Managed to get a listen to it recently at the Bristol show and it really was excellent.

Anyway, keep up the good work and the upgrades! :smashin:

Just read the whole thread for the first time! Absolutely love it! I've also worked my way through various Arcam/B&W combo's and even a Spectral stand! so I like your choice of equipment.

Been using Apple TV and Express for music for years too but recently added Sonos to the mix. Have you considered Sonos at all? Arcam now sell a specific DAC made especially for it. Managed to get a listen to it recently at the Bristol show and it really was excellent.

Anyway, keep up the good work and the upgrades! :smashin:

Thanks very much Mr X, and thanks for reading the thread all through! I really should clean up the early beginning stuff though, its pretty old now, you dont realise how quickly stuff like this can change in a few short years :blush:

I too have just been looking over your build thread and wow what a great project, I would love to have the cash and space to do a big build project like yours but its not on the horizon but still I am pretty happy with how it is right now, my escape room :D

I haven't gone down the Sonos route but I do like them, I don't have the requirements for multi room really as I only listen/view in this room, the living-room kit is stupidly basic but I have a few Airport Express's dotted around should I need to through music out but tbh I never do they are mainly WiFi extenders for me :)

Amazing mate simply amazing love the neatness of it all that centre speaker should look ridiculous not gorgeous like it does inspired me thank you

It would be my choice for sure, the thought of the same type of image I currently have with better processing and better blacks sounds great, the bells and whistles (media stuff) doesn't interest me as better kit does those jobs but nice to have anyway, look forward to your thoughts when you get one :)

The only downside I have had is mine failed, started making a seriously loud buzzing noise, called Samsung and they sent an engineer who took it away and they replaced the actual panel inside, hopefully this one lasts the test of time as I was given this TV as a free replacement I didn't get an extended warranty so here's hoping but my mate got on from Costco after seeing mine when they were being sold off at end of line and his failed too :blush: luckily Costco gave 5 years warranty as standard and it was being sold really cheep... lucky!

Hmm, that's not too great is it! Hopefully they have improved.

I'm tempted by the E8000 if there is a good price drop before the new one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom