My bargain priced home cinema finally completed ..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Feersum enjinn, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have finished my home cinema - my aim was to receive the full benefits of modern home cinema but at the very lowest of cost due to a tight budget.

Room 1 living room.

£1350 incl VAT - Projector Panny AE100

£90 incl vat (new fomr ebay) Mustek DvD stand alone player
    (Multi region, RGB+Svid compat, DTS/5.1 decoder plays everything)

£17 Matt Ice storm 6 painted smoothed wall- 122" x 69" -

£2.99 2" Black duck taped screen border.

£92 incl VAT 120W 5.1 surround system (best available at price)
    http://www.savastore.com/watford/products/?CsOp=15&code=10224222

£18 incl Tech Link S-VHS cable

£40 incl Pull down black out blinds within the window frame and behind the curtains solely for use when watching movies in the day.

£40 Reddy/orange Voile panels and rail adapted for screen curtains. The red/orane hides the screen when closed and fits in with the rest of the room decor (dark red and terracota walls)

Room 2 - Bedroom.

Use of Panny - incherchanging rooms :)

£90 incl vat (new from ebay) Mustek DvD stand alone player
    (Multi region, RGB+Svid compat, DTS/5.1 decoder etc)

£12 Matt Ice storm 6 painted smoothed wall- 100" x 56"

£2.99 2" Black duck taped screen border.

£80 incl VAT Videologic ZXR-500 5.1 surround system (again excellent for price - second best on market to my knowlege for the price)
    http://www.videologic.com/Products/Product.asp?Product=VL-60537

£10 incl Scart to Video cable

I am EXTREMELY happy with the quality vs price effect of this system. I was also impressed with the quality of the two 5.1 surround systems (for the price) although i researched into these before i bought so i knew what to expect.

This is my first step into home cinema and no doubt in a few years i will learn and adapt my cinema as my knowledge increases ... but for now i am happy and my wallet is not completely empty.

Thank you to everyone at AV forums for their help and advice over the last month!!

BTW where is a good place to get black out material? the material stores i have been in have not had any in stock! :)

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    now that is a cheap way of doing it.:) I'm impressed.

nothing wrong with learning a bit first, and then building your system up later on.. funds permitting.

think everyone here has done the same.

there's no such thing as an S-VHS cable btw... you mean svideo. ;)

how is the panasonic picture via svideo from the DVD?

3. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our Home Cinema is also one that will be done on the Cheap side. I am guessing it will cost all up around $15-17K (Australian Dollars or £5135-£5820).

This will include all Equipment, Room Repaint, Ice Storm MDF Screen, Recliners, Electrical work, New lighting, New Door etc.

I will post pictures when its complete.

Best Regards
    Amelia

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    that sounds about right Amelia.

probably similar here if you include sofas, decorating, furniture etc.

5. larry_1000000

larry_1000000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re blackout material.

Have you cosidered curtain blackout material. I purchased some from a company called dunelms. It is white to look at and virtually cuts out all the light. I have not got a projector yet but I was thinking of using it for a screen as well. Will have to wait for the Panasonic to come available.

6. Joshm74

Joshm74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool setup for the price...given me some ideas for my soon-to-be-implemented Home Cinema room!

7. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's 2 rooms for £1844.98 including LCD projection, I'm well impressed!:eek: :D

8. neilnet

neilnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Feersum, a question if I may...

How does the Black duck tape look around the edges? I also made a home-made screen, by projecting an image and simply painting over it :) but the edges are a crisp white line. Everywhere I look though screen edges are black. Does the duck tape really make all that difference? Does it not look a bit naff (?!) in broad daylight? I know my 5x9ft white section does! If you could post a pic it'd be fab!

Thankyou!

Neil

9. dis

dis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    hello AMELIA you say you sit 5.5 meters away from the screen is the projector in front of you just like to know....cheers ......dis

10. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dis,

Yes the PJ is in front of me. Off memory I think its around 3m or so away from the Screen. I have also set to Roof mount location so as I don't have to use any Keystone correction and around a 1/4 of the screen is at eye level (I think it should be around 1/3 is what's recommended).

The screen size is 2060mm x 1155 mm (I came up with this size based on info from this site.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
    Amelia

11. neilnet

neilnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't that go *against* exactly what IMAX boast, as in, having a *huge* screen close to you? Your eyes have to scan the entire image, making allegedly more realistic.

N

12. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i put my screen on the wall first then painted like you did, and yeah it looked a bit naff, and anyway i am lazy so rather than make straght lines ... i just made messy ones knowing the duck tape would hide the scruffiness :)

And yeah i found the duck tape looks good. Its thick tape, and it has indented patterns too ... its not like thin shiny plain 'sellotape' material - its better than that. My freinds have asked me on many occasion how much my screen was *grins* they thought it looked like a hanging screen.

Anyway i feel the tape makes it smarter and less of an eyesore ... it seems to keep my eyes focused a bit better too ... knowing to look 'inside' the black frame - just makes it seem better in my humble opinion. However my small rail above the screen of which hangs a cheap curtain which is the same colour as my other painted walls looks good. When the screen is not in use the curtain is closed and hides the whiteish screen which does not fit in with the rest of the colour of my room. Its perfect for me. Maybe get a curtain, or us ethe space to hang something stylish .. maybe a beaded picture design or something weird like that - something thta na be opened or removed. Maybe even a hanging wall blanket as they can look goo dtoo, then you just need to fold it upwards, or downwards and clip it into place when using the screen and just put it back up on the wall when not using the screen. Also it will keep the 'screen 'cleaner maybe.

Soory my digital camera is nt working :( i need a new one - cant post a piccie yet :(

Hope that helps

13. neilnet

neilnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Appreciated, thanks.

I'm pretty familiar with Duck tape (although I normally use the silver coloured) - so I'm definitely willing to to give it a go. In terms of covering it, I'll perhaps use cutains as you suggested. In the meantime though I'm dying to see a photo of yours, so please post whenever you can :)

Thanks,

Neil

14. dis

dis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    hello AMELIA thanks the reason i ask is does the back light from the projector bother you, and how low is your projector down from the ceilng i have not got mine yet hope to get it soon,

i just wondered if the projector hanging down would bother you
    im trying to get as much information as i can before i buy it,

also can you hear any noise from the projector, i worked mine out to be 17inches down from the ceiling without any keystone correction, my picture will start at11.1/2inches from the ceiling thats why i wonderd if the projector would look in the way or not,the projector will be about 7 or 8 feet in front of me what do you think.....thanks once again.............dis

15. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi neilnet,

I wasn't after the IMax feel, but rather a Cinema feel (I know Imax is also a cinema).

You know what it's like, when you go to the movies, most of the back seats fill first.

Hi Dis,

As far as Backlight from the PJ goes, no its not a bother, remember you are sitting down, so the PJ's back light is very high.

Fan noise isn't a problem. My room has been painted so as a result it is very dark and the PJ is run in low power mode. I guess if you focus on the PJ you will hear the noise. Let me put it this way, when people come over, they find it hard to focus on the PJ when there is a two meter screen in front of them :D

If you would like to see the Screen and how it looks in its current position, then Click Here. (Note the Curtains, Entertainment Unit etc are not in yet)

Best Regards
    Amelia

16. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Ameile, your room looks great, I really like the blue surrounding :)

17. dis

dis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    hello AMELIA thanks for the info thats put my mind at rest i think i'll be getting the ptae100 now, like the pictures nice bit of kit you got will keep my eye open for more. thanks once again.........dis

18. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nice pics, Amelia.

sounds like you are watching at about the same distances as me... (still metric for me though).. approx 10-11 ft for the pj on a table top, 18-20 ft to the comfy sofa.

you probably could have gone for a slightly bigger screen, though I guess space was little tight at the front of your room from your pictures.

I'm currently using an 8ft screen.

19. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks jrwood,
    I am pretty happy with it so far, just can't wait till its all done. I can't believe just how much work has gone into it.

Hi dis,
    You're welcome. I am happy to help. I started on this forum a little over a month or so ago and the help I got from all the users was GREAT. With out all the help I would hate to imagine what I would have done.

Hi MartinCo,
    I totally agree with you. I guess I wanted to play it safe and if I ever have to run a couple of extra rows of seats, the front row wouldn't be too close.

In any case it I did decide to go bigger it would mean moving the mount (which is possible with a little patch work on the roof) and a new screen.

Best Regards
    Amelia