1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Barco Graphics 808s buying experience

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jlcrawford, May 24, 2001.

1. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just thought I would put a few words together to let people know of my experience of buying a secondhand CRT.
    I waited with baited breath for M2N to announce the prices of the 808s's they were getting, and after hearing of the phenomenal deal Jenz got on his, was very dissapointed to find a price of 6500+VAT for a reconditioned machine, which was only guarenteed after a 500 pound installation.
    So my search continued and I just missed a secondhand import from the USA for under 3000 with all conceivable extras included.
    Eventually a guy from Austria passed my details to a guy from London and I arranged a visit to coincide with a wedding trip to M Keynes.
    Everything went fine and I spent three hours auditioning the CRT at the guys house- he had a few others but I particularly wanted an 808s Graphics.
    When I found a burn on the blue tube he offered to get me a new tube which(going by M2N's posts)is a third of the price I paid him for the 808s and a new blue tube.
    I took him at his word and he has shipped me a new tube today- I decided to get it installed myself as there is an agent 50miles from where I live.My supplier can get it installed but it means a trip to London which I dont fancy.
    Anyway the funny part of it all is that after 3 months of seaching for a good deal over Europe and the USA I bought from a guy who regularly advertises in HCC but I had missed all his ads -His name is Atul

2. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Go on Jeff make us sick.....how much :D
    Tim :p

3. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am not proud or vain so I don't mind telling I paid £4k.
    I also know that he has another with a burn on the blue which he will take around £3k for.I have just swapped a blue tube myself and it was pretty straight forward after reading the "How To" on TAWOW.com
    I am now off to the USA to buy my Rock Processor
    Cheers all se ya soon

4. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,

Not that I want to steer any business away from Phil at TAWOW, but did you consider buying other scalers before settling on The Rock?

There's the Quadscan, Crystal Image, Vigatec, Faroudja NR - all coming in at less than The Rock.

Thanks,

Leon

"You milked a cat?"