My B&W 603 S2 has died

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Xpresso, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Xpresso

Xpresso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well after about 11 years of quality sound, my left, front speaker seems to have finally died. The mid and sub have completely quit with only sound coming from the tweeter.
    Has anyone ever had their speakers repaired?, and can anyone give me a rough idea on price?. I have contemplated updating but the timing isn't exactly the best as i'm a tad skint and i can't really cope without them.
    Failing getting repaired i'm planning on going for the B&W 704's but i think they come in around £1400. Any ideas?

2. Spangle2k5

Spangle2k5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Looking at the Bowers and Wilkins website, they list the following dealers for Edinburgh:

Hi Fi Corner, 1 Haddington Place: ( 0131 ) 556 7901
    Hi Fi Corner, Rose Street: ( 0131 ) 220 1535
    Sevenoaks, The Grassmarket: ( 0131 ) 229 7267

Give any of these a call and tell them you need a replacement mid/bass driver and the model of speaker and they will get you a quote from B&W for the part and include the cost of fitting. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't much over £50, but it is tough to guess.

I had Sevenoaks in Leicester replace a tweeter on a Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and it only cost £25, including labour.

Moving to the 700 series would certainly be an upgrade, but you would be looking at another 2.5k on electronics, stands etc, which isn't something I would prescribe if you are skint!

Best of luck either way

3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,680
  4. Xpresso

Xpresso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks guys, i tried contacting seven oaks but they said that they only repair products bought from them, fat lot of use that. I originally bought them from a supplier in N.I. So i have emailed b&w to see what they say.

5. Spangle2k5

Spangle2k5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    That is a disappointing attitude from a so-called dealer, one which I do not appreciate being on the receiving end of myself.

It is worth trying Hi Fi Corner, hopefully they may be a bit more amenable. B&W is a long established company with a good reputation, I am sure they will give you a comprehensive response and see that the problem is fixed swiftly.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I work for Sevenoaks in Edinburgh. I apologise for the response you received when you called our store, this is not the standard of service we aim to provide. :oops: Whilst it is is at our discretion whether we deal with the repair of products that were not originally purchased from ourselves, in most cases we are quite happy to help out. I can only conclude that my colleague whom you spoke to made an incorrect snap decision on the phone based around the circumstances that we are currently a little bit short staffed and quite a bit busier than normal. :nono:

I would be happy to handle the diagnosis and quotation for repairing your speakers if you contact me at the shop. :smashin:

Apologies again, I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Chris.

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Xpresso, thanks for getting in touch with me. Your drive units will be despatched by B&W tomorrow and will arrive here on Friday.

8. Fast Jon

Fast Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Good job, Crustyloafer. The next time the OP wants to buy some kit, chances are he'll come calling at your door. :smashin:

9. joffy1780

joffy1780

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Looks like his loaf isn't so crusty after all! :D

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Here's hoping (fingers crossed). As a bricks and mortar dealer we have relatively high overheads and require members of staff that are highly trained in a wide range of expertise from sales and demonstration to structured building and wiring proposals and of course installation, on-site backup and suport, all of which add up financially. For us, we aim to excel at customer service and I do not take it lightly when my expected standard is not presented by one of us. In the the same respect it is important for the buying public to place a value on high customer service as Xpresso has kindly done so in contacting me again. A lot of people are far too quick to assume that the best price and the best service can be obtained simultanously from the same place, this is seldom true.

Thanks again to Xpresso for getting back in touch and I hope that he wil be happy to have future dealings with us again. :thumbsup:

11. Xpresso

Xpresso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just a big thankyou to the loaf, in the service they provided, pitty it turned out i was been a complete noob and not realising the problem was to do with bridging the connectors. So i was being a complete idiot and i was assured the speaker was working perfectly. Thanks again for all the help and i'll def be shopping there again, highly likely for the sonos system, its a great piece of kit, now to convince the wife (again)

12. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Well at least you are now £100 better off then you thought you'd be. Perhaps it will come in handy when you decide to go for a Sonos system.

I was glad to be of help and am actually pleased that I managed to get your speakers working without charging you any money at all. :thumbsup: