My AV Lounge - im reet chuffed :D

ozthecoz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well im finally at a point where i can post in this forum rather than the DIY forum lol. Still a few job to do but the main "AV" stuff is now up and running and though it small time compared with some of the systems shown here, im reet chuffed with what we have achieved.

Anyway - the lounge etc started out like this:

We then had the chimney breast completely removed and the whole house, ceilings etc plastered with some parts overboarded

We fitted speaker wire behind the coving, new lights, laminate floor and new frenchdoors into the conservatory... oh and a spot of paint

Whilst we were decorating my father in law made us two AV cabinets - based on the Ikea Besta's but in Oak and to our spec so equipment would fit. The drawers were purchased from Ikea for ease and the right hand side compartment is a drop down front rather than a draw - all of them feature pop out openers so no need for handles. They really are a fantastic work of art and fit everything in with plenty of space for cooling and wiring etc.

image017.jpg

image020.jpg

image078.jpg

image079.jpg

And finally the "business end" of the room and a couple of screen shots :cool:

image132.jpg

image112.jpg

image115.jpg

image119.jpg

Still a few more jobs to do such as skirtng being fitted next week, and mounting the centre seaker properly but im really happy with it all (if you hadnt guessed) :D

Kit List
  • Onkyo 576 amp
  • Panasonic TX37 TV ( gonna upgrade to larger tv after summer)
  • Sky HD
  • HTPC with 1tb storage running customised VMC with mediaBrowser etc and linked to upstairs TV
  • PS3
  • Kef 2001 sattelites, Kef 5005 centre and PSW sub
  • Vandamme blue series speaker wire (2x4mm front and center / 2x1.5mm rear speakers)
  • Logitech DiNovo mini keyboard/VMC remote
Anyway there ya go - what ya reckon ?

Dave

That looks great, nice to see an AV cabinet with plenty of room too, most of them look like they would melt an AV gear!

I'm the first but I'm sure I won't be the last one on here to tell you that that wall is just begging for a projector + screen :)

That looks great, nice to see an AV cabinet with plenty of room too, most of them look like they would melt an AV gear!

I'm the first but I'm sure I won't be the last one on here to tell you that that wall is just begging for a projector + screen :)

nope your the second lol - a mate came round last night and that was the first thing he said lol

Its something i thought about but then decided not to due to extra cost and the fact that it wouldnt get much use. Will be upgrading to probably a 50" tv soon so that should suffice

crying out for a projector :thumbsup:

crying out for a projector :thumbsup:

I would second that. Something else that I think would work well on a big wall like that would be a 42" Philips ambilight! :cool:

Ian.

needs a projector big time....

great etup interested in what the vmc is?? any links/info as the interface look slick! -cheers

Its standard Vista Media center that has essentially had the look played with and media browser added - a great link with tons of info is http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-pcs/938625-mediabrowser-running-customised-vmc.html in the HTPC forum

Looks great. How do you link the HTPC to the upstairs TV?

10m hdmi cable routed up the wall, through the ceiling and into the bedroom - its a crude way of doing it but it works so im happy lol. I controll the pc downstairs from upstairs using bluetooth DiNovo mini keyboard.

Very smart.

Is all the cabling chased in i assume.

Chased into the main wall then fed behind the coving to the corners of the room where the speakers are. You can see a little wiring behind the speakers but ive painted them the same colour athe wall so they are virtually invisible.

Thanks for all the comments - appreciated though gotta say theres not gonna be a projector as i dont think ill ever use it. I watch a few films, play some PS3 and watch footy on sky - My original "wants" were a nice enviroment to relax in and do the above and a projector is over the top for what i need.

Dave

trust me you will use a PJ, i use mine non stop now. its so much better.

Hi ozthecoz , i like the ceiling lights where did you get them from , im looking for those in my living room ???

Hi ozthecoz , i like the ceiling lights where did you get them from , im looking for those in my living room ???

i think we got them from homebase - they did the spotlight bar, an individual spotlight and a square of four spotlights ( which we have in the diding room) and they were around ÂŁ80 each i think

hth.

Oh and in reply to the projector posts above - i sat down last night, dimmed the lights and watched blade runner - and thought to myself , hmmmm - this would look cracking on a projector lol :rolleyes: :rotfl:

TRUST ME that room is PERFECT for a projector.

Wall mount the plasma and get a nice pull down screen.

or look at my build thread below and get a fixed screen :smashin::D

Nice one ive just purchased those spotlights from homebase there super

Nice one - liking the speakers in the corner.

Cheers for the comments peeps :thumbsup:

Im loving coming in from work an seeing it every day - just makes me smile lol

My original idea was to go for a floating wall and put the tv and mid speaker on the wall - still umming and arring about it and cant make my mind up as it would purely be for aesthetics and its not needed per se :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest a wall mount for the TV

Was it safe to knock down the chimney breast? I've heard that if you remove the chimney breast then it affect the structure of the house, but I might be wrong.

Cheers

Was it safe to knock down the chimney breast? I've heard that if you remove the chimney breast then it affect the structure of the house, but I might be wrong.

Cheers

perfectly safe as far as im aware - it was done by a builder, got the correct lintel ( i think thats the word lol) in place etc.

Oh nd it hasnt fallen down yet :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom