My AV diaries...

alchemistkevin

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Alright then, here goes...

This is my current setup. I'll update with history as and when I can find the pics of my old setup. This is an ongoing install, by no means complete or anywhere near stable, I keep adding stuff to it every day/every week/every month and make keep making small changes and adjustments regularly. Whenever I'm not busy with this, I'm busy buying and driving a new car :) - my only two material interests...

If you don't have time to read through everything, my sig will give you an idea of what kit I'm running...

Please excuse some of the pics - I'll try to post better ones when I can...

This is my current setup:

The heart of the system is the Onkyo TX-SR 605 AV Receiver - THE BEST receiver in its class :) its quite nice and does everything that I want it to.

1080p/24hz passthrough and all HDMI inputs are 1.3 - so future proof when deep colour Blu Ray's start getting released...

I got this October 2007

My current screen is a Samsung LCD TV LE46A656 - 1080p picture - I love the blacks and to me they come across as solid blacks than shades of grey that I've seen on my older plasmas and LCD's. The most noticable difference is that you can't easily differentiate on the 1.85:1 aspect ratio discs as to where the LCD screen ends and the TV plastics begin. This is connected to the Onkyo using a Cambridge Audio HDMI cable.

I got this May 2008.

5.1 sound is achieved through Bose Acoustimass 6 series of speakers, the Acoustimass module is connected to the Amp with the standard Bose cables and the cables have been extended to provide reach for rear speakers up to 20ft away...

I got this November 2007.

I have a number of media players... Philips DVP5980 is my 1080p upscaling DVD disc spinner

October 2007

I also have a Packard Bell HDD based player that I can load MP3's, videos and pictures on...

November 2007

My most used player though is the Sony PS3 - Fantastic DVD upscaling and one of the best BluRay spinners in the market today.

April 2008.

My gaming rig consists of a current generation Sony PS3 with 5 SIXAXIS controllers and a Nintendo Wii with 4 Wiimotes and a Nunchuk. This is connected straight to the telly using stock cables. Can't remember when I got this but I got one as soon as they were released.

I also have a previous generation Sony PS2 with 120GB HDD that helps me with keeping some of my PS2 discs off my little one's hands...
Sometime last year... I also had a slim PS2 that I sold when I got the Wii but then I missed my racing games and got this one.

An aging Philips LX2000 is my current HTPC - wirelessly connected to the router, does a wonderful job at streaming and is connected to the Onkyo via an Optical cable for sound and directly to the Samsung using a VGA cable.

Sometime last year...

Power to my entire kit is remote controlled via a BBSb remote which also controls some of the auxillary lighting.

Dec 2007

Lighting effects are provided by two Ikea down lighters and a set of Ikea LED's behind the Samsung.

February 2008

I am also in the process of getting my HTPC working via MediaPortal and add another streaming NAS server and a faster machine to handle 1080p streaming to the kit.

Ongoing...

A Logitech Harmony 1000 is in the post to hopefully help me throw my other 4 remotes in the desk with only 3 remaining. - A Harmony 1000 remote, a PS3 bluetooth controller for Movies and a mains power remote controller.

Will hopefully get this tomorrow ...May 2008

Birds Eye View

DSC05001.jpg

Further pics to follow.

Thanks for looking and I welcome and appreciate any comments/views to improve the setup.

Thanks for looking and I welcome and appreciate any comments/views to improve the setup.

Unless there is a large enough hole or some sort of cut off on the offside of the cabinet where the PS3 is situated, I seriously doubt there is adequate ventilation. There is already minimal ventilation from the rear as the cabinet is enclosed. Your PS3 would be at considerable risk of overheating as the offside is the area where heat from the unit is extracted. And the PS3 produces a lot of heat. This would not be good thing to do for your PS3.

EDIT: Your cabinet looks like it's enclosed from the back, can't be sure but your PS3 would still be at risk of overheating.

Unless there is a large enough hole or some sort of cut off on the offside of the cabinet where the PS3 is situated, I seriously doubt there is adequate ventilation. There is already minimal ventilation from the rear as the cabinet is enclosed. Your PS3 would be at considerable risk of overheating as the offside is the area where heat from the unit is extracted. And the PS3 produces a lot of heat. This would not be good thing to do for your PS3.

EDIT: Your cabinet looks like it's enclosed from the back, can't be sure but your PS3 would still be at risk of overheating.

Its not closed at the back hence you can see a lot of cables at the back... The only place where the Center cabinet is closed is behind the telly where there's a heavy wooden board that is sturdy enough that I can mount the telly on if I have a wall mount.

I don't think the PS3 overheats but I will try and move it someplace else if it helps it keep cool.

I'm also looking for alternate placement of my kit that makes it look more attractive rather than lumped together at the bottom of the telly but can't find a good position.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated :)

If you are moving things then could I suggest the amp gets a 50-100mm gap on all sides - Currently right hand side is tight to the cupboard.

Might not work as I cant see the full room, but what about the TV on TOP in the middle and space the shelves out much more - even add an extra one?

If you are able then maybe make the TV shelf half way up the top cupboard space if right on top is to high?

For items you dont need to get to you might be able to create a front cloth that covers those items in?

What about swapping the glass squares with ones either side of the TV an using them for the kit?

Just random thoughts...............as you asked.

Andy H.

If you are moving things then could I suggest the amp gets a 50-100mm gap on all sides - Currently right hand side is tight to the cupboard.

Might not work as I cant see the full room, but what about the TV on TOP in the middle and space the shelves out much more - even add an extra one?

Thanks Andy :)

TV on the top of the shelves? That would be too high above our eye level when sitting down in front of the TV...

Add an extra set of shelves? Can't do that as they're wall to wall... Guess I've only got 360cms of width to play with...

Is that what you meant or have I got it wrong?

If you are able then maybe make the TV shelf half way up the top cupboard space if right on top is to high?
Dont' really understand this, sorry!

For items you dont need to get to you might be able to create a front cloth that covers those items in?

Thanks again, that's a good idea, I've seen that at a friend's place and it does look good, I'll have a think about this, might even buy two doors to cover the bottom half of the main TV unit; take a glass out and cover it with cloth, that way, I'll always have access to the components when I open the door and there will be some air circulation and the sub could still be heard.

What about swapping the glass squares with ones either side of the TV an using them for the kit?

Now this is what I was trying the other weekend, put the kit beside the TV, on both sides... It wasn't looking that great and others at home didn't encourage me either, however that might be necessary if I buy a larger set of speakers... Don't know still debating on this...

Just random thoughts...............as you asked.

Andy H.

Much appreciated and still looking for ideas, ways to improve things.. What I'm not happy with is: I've got a great kit (I think) but it doesn't come out too well with the current set-up, that's what I'm trying to improve, aesthetics.

Nice stuff Kevin - Is that the Ikea Besta combination with Besta Vara doors ?

If it was me, I'd declutter and give it a slick look. The kit that doesn't need much ventilation I'd hide in the cupboards, drilling holes into the cabinets to feed the wires through if need be.

Both the PS3 and the Amp do need more ventilation than it appears they're being given currently, so I'd deffo give them their own shelf/space, but everything else should be ok in the cupboards.

Maybe just a couple of ornaments per shelf in the cabinets with glass doors also, and clear the shelf above the LCD ? Also adjust the cabinet door hinge fittings on the left side of the LCD so that they all line up exactly.

And, and , and....lol

It sounds picky - but the devil is in the detail, and it would lift the whole entertainment unit to another level mate.:thumbsup:

What do you think ?

Nice setup you have and some really nice kit. Was just going to ask if these are the ikea units mentioned in the previous post as I was thinking of getting them myself. I think maybe if you continued the glass doors down to the ground on the left and right sides this would make an improvement, though I dont know what is in these units if you would want glass doors. Look forward to seeing what you do with it :smashin:.

Nice stuff Kevin - Is that the Ikea Besta combination with Besta Vara doors ?

If it was me, I'd declutter and give it a slick look. The kit that doesn't need much ventilation I'd hide in the cupboards, drilling holes into the cabinets to feed the wires through if need be.

Both the PS3 and the Amp do need more ventilation than it appears they're being given currently, so I'd deffo give them their own shelf/space, but everything else should be ok in the cupboards.

Maybe just a couple of ornaments per shelf in the cabinets with glass doors also, and clear the shelf above the LCD ? Also adjust the cabinet door hinge fittings on the left side of the LCD so that they all line up exactly.

And, and , and....lol

It sounds picky - but the devil is in the detail, and it would lift the whole entertainment unit to another level mate.:thumbsup:

What do you think ?

Eagle eyes, yes it is Besta - one of the most modern 'affordable' range of seperates available in the UK :)

When we bought the flat we threw out everything that the flat came with - including the ceilings and the carpets!

Ceilings were skimmed, new carpets put in, a lot of electrical work redone, new bathroom, kitchen - basically we started with a blank canvas.

With regards to the units you're seeing, I bought the two beside the telly first, then the two tall ones and then the centre one and had to downsize from a 50" through a few 42" ones and now on to (hopefully) a long termer 46".

The only problem now is: it doesn't look as classy as I want it to look. I have almost everything I need for a while, apart from the fact that I'll building another HTPC or DLNA server.

What I wish to do is to bolt all of these together and create a seamless unit.

No, you're not picky just a perfectionist... :) I've seen your setups its one of THE BEST on the forums.

What I've done till now has been easy, buying stuff, spending money, now comes the hard part, placing everything in a way that it looks outstanding and not ordinary.

That's what I'm after and that's what I'm seeking viewpoints and suggestions for.

Thank you once again :)

Nice setup you have and some really nice kit. Was just going to ask if these are the ikea units mentioned in the previous post as I was thinking of getting them myself. I think maybe if you continued the glass doors down to the ground on the left and right sides this would make an improvement, though I dont know what is in these units if you would want glass doors. Look forward to seeing what you do with it :smashin:.

Yes they are and thank you :) for the comments.

Get these, rattle your brains and come up with a good setup :) but plan it first as they come in various sizes and you can easily bolt them together for custom-furniture look if you want to.

Glasses are not possible at the moment as we need some storage for papers, etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression 'Bird's Eye View' was from overhead? :rolleyes:

However, nice looking set up.

yes but this is birds-eye from a Sat Nav viewpoint :)

If you don't get it, fire up your tomtom and change between the 2D and 3D view, also called birds-eye by other Sat Nav companies :D

Eagle eyes, yes it is Besta - one of the most modern 'affordable' range of seperates available in the UK :)

When we bought the flat we threw out everything that the flat came with - including the ceilings and the carpets!

Ceilings were skimmed, new carpets put in, a lot of electrical work redone, new bathroom, kitchen - basically we started with a blank canvas.

With regards to the units you're seeing, I bought the two beside the telly first, then the two tall ones and then the centre one and had to downsize from a 50" through a few 42" ones and now on to (hopefully) a long termer 46".

The only problem now is: it doesn't look as classy as I want it to look. I have almost everything I need for a while, apart from the fact that I'll building another HTPC or DLNA server.

What I wish to do is to bolt all of these together and create a seamless unit.

No, you're not picky just a perfectionist... :) I've seen your setups its one of THE BEST on the forums.

What I've done till now has been easy, buying stuff, spending money, now comes the hard part, placing everything in a way that it looks outstanding and not ordinary.

That's what I'm after and that's what I'm seeking viewpoints and suggestions for.

Thank you once again :)

No worries Kevin, and cheers for the compliment my man.:thumbsup:

lol @ 'Eagle Eyes' :D I only noticed as we've got the same Besta units with the Holmbo doors and drawers in our middle room:
bestaholmbowt0.jpg

It took my partner and I a whole day to put the thing up and to get all the doors and drawers to line up perfectly, and nearly broke me back in the process lol !

I think these modular Besta units are one of the best things that Ikea have produced, as you can basically design and create something that no-one else will have, like what you've done.

Did you find it strange that your units fitted nigh on perfectly into the width of your room lol ?They look like they were custom made and fitted.

Ah well, keep up the good work mate.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom