My av cabinet nightmare

MISTERE1971

Established Member
Reaction score
below is an image of my setup but I hate the cabinets i have installed they are MDF fronts and nothing else and dont do the rest of the install justice
I need cabinets to make them look more professional the sizes required are

135 cm wide
50 cm high
50 cm deep

I need two of the above and one of

185 cm wide
50 cm high
50 cm deep

I have thought about kitchen wall cabinets but am stumped when I have to find a top as worktop will be too thick I need help any suggestions

100A0000.jpg

Personally I like what has been done and it has the potential to be something great. Have you not considered painting or carpeting the cabinet?

Oblivously it is up to what you think will look better as its you who has to look at it but to me an AV setup is something that is clean looking, not being able to see cables and compliments the room. I think you should sit down and consider what else you could do with it before ripping it down (and as you are thinking about changing it you might aswell try)

Best of luck to you

The only problem is the doors are so big and not hinged and only really put up for christmas to "look nice" so its not a big job to remove them they just need replacing with something better
will still keep the main middle section just need a cabinet solution

Am looking for high gloss black or white

Last edited:
Hi,
May have some ideas. Are you reasonably competent with DIY skills? Did you build what is in the picture or did you have it made? What sort of budget are you looking to spend?

I did all the work myself and have thought about building seperate units myself but sometimes the build quality doesnt compare to ready made but I am open to all ideas even though budget is a little tight
What did you have in mind

know what you mean. I built my own shelving and I don't like them at all, so I'm looking for a ready made unit. Spent over ÂŁ100 on my shelving too.:mad:

Its not that I cant do it I just think that factory made looks more the part
Is OK spending ÂŁÂŁÂŁ on your setup if you are not happy with what is housing it
I am happy with the wall but not the cabinets

Unless a cabinet maker in Norfolk England area wishes to fund and finish my project as an open house example LOL

I see why it's a nightmare.

A) you have specific sizes which you can't buy "off the shelf".
B) you don't want to make them yourself.
C) you don't want to pay to have them made.

With the greatest respect, something has to give.

I know I will end up building them myself which is not a problem
I have found a semi solution using kitchen wall cabinets (Ikea do a kitchen cabinet unit 60x60 for ÂŁ34with door of your choice) x 7 joined together with some kind of top not worktop as will look like a low kitchen cupboard
I could use my existing top and fit to the top of the kitchen wall cabinets
I would have to finish the top with a gloss finish but not sure how
At the moment the top is just pine 3x16 cm wide sections put together to form the top
Just need to give it a gloss finsh without painting it or cut the top with MDF and get it laminated if that is possible as the walls I have are not pefectly square so it would be easier to cut the MDF then get it gloss finished somehow

Last edited:
You could always replace the mdf fronts with these ikea doors, choice of 3 colours in gloss. They also have gloss end panels available, which come in bigger sizes and may be more economical.

Have thought of that but would still have to make a frame to fit the doors as there is no frame just a top section and a bottom section
I think I am going to go with the cabinet idea get them fitted then worry about the top after maybe find a carpenter/kitchen fitter to fit a thin worktop or wood section
The trouble with me is I look for too many problems or I try to solve something that in my head looks harder than it actually is
So the Ikea cabinets seem to be the winner! fit them then run around the room trying to solve the problem of the top/worktop issue

Last edited:
Ok. Now you're talking. So we just need to sort out a decent top without it being a kitchen worktop. Am I right in saying that you want a high gloss finish? Can it be wood grained or are you looking at a flat colour (piano black is a bitch for showing any dust)?

I am open to suggestions as a high gloss would be good ( I am from the era of a apartment in black ash in the 80's with a black duster) but maybe a top that matches the flooring that we havent got yet but would be a medium light oak ish colour
My problem is that a run of just over 4.5m is required for the top but not impossible I hope

In that case, how about using the same flooring for the top? If it's laminate, you'd need something like some mdf as a base. Then a bead or moulding along the front to hide the edge, stained the same colour. Alternatively, you could buy veneered mdf which you could then varnish. For a really high gloss, flat colour, I believe you can still buy formica or the modern equivalent. Have you considered using glass? You could spray or paint a base board (mdf or similar) and fit something like 6mm glass on top. All the rage these days for counter tops and splash backs and your local glass merchant should be able to sort you out. This may work out expensive but I still don't know what sort of budget you have.

I plan to use the original top I have if it doesnt go right I will address the problem then
I plan to stain the wood and varnish
Black doors with a mediam oak top should look good will post pics when done

Purchased the cabinet frames and doors from Ikea today will post pic when joined all 7

Well have started with the new cabinets the center ones have to be cut to fit will do that Sunday
Matt Black doors from Ikea are on order and the cabinets will all be flush and I am growing to like the top AT LAST
Its a mess at the moment but had to stop to go to work

20022009573.jpg

20022009574.jpg

20022009575.jpg

Last edited:
I have recessed the cabinets in and just placed the top on its looking good
Cant wait for doors to turn up
Just need to redo the housing for the centre speaker
Ita a mess at the moment but the cable needs to be re routed and as its a wip I am really happy so far

22022009581.jpg

22022009580.jpg

22022009579.jpg

Last edited:
Doors arrived today 2 weeks early so a mad dash to get done
Will post pic when fitted this week
Have joined the cabinets now routing cables
So much left to do

24022009582.jpg

Well I just had to try the doors and I hope you all agree that they look good
Still have lots to do so will remove them and keep them stored untill all the construction is done as dont want any mishaps

25022009593.jpg

25022009592.jpg

Pics are not the best as too much sunlight thru the windows
Better ones to follow when more is completed

Last edited:
Finally all doors are on and now looking for a black cd tower to fill the gap at each end of the cabinets to finish it off nicely
I eventually went for the original top I had and must admit that I was worrying about nothing it looks good
Still have the shelving for the equipment to finish off then Wallpapering the actual room and finally flooring

03032009621.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom