My Australian DVB-T HD Recorder does not work in the UK. Help.

paulcorreia

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a LG DVB-T HDD/DVD Recorder (DBRH1979) which was bought when I lived in Sydney. I managed to get the code to make it play multi-regional DVDs. No problem.

I have now returned to the UK and tried to get the tuner to pick up the digital channels and the analogue channels in the UK. Unfortunately, the auto scan only picks up the analogue channels but there's no sound. It doesn't pick up the digital channels at all.

I can record if I use my TV as the input device, but I'd rather have the recorder use its own tuner so I can set the timer and watch a different channel while recording.

LG support say it's not possible to tune my recorder to access UK channels. Is this right? Any hacks for the tuner?

Thanks.

Australia use a different sound spacing on analogue to the UK hence why you get no sound. It maybe possible to convert it but as analogue switch off is currently in progress and will be complete by 2011/2 is it worth bothering? Get a cheap Freeview box and use that as a tuner for the DVD-R instead, that way you can watch and record different channels.

I agree, the analogue signal is a waste of time, but it's the digital one that is more important to me. I can't figure out why the DVB-T tuner would not work here. I have a USB one for my Laptop and that works all over the world - so surely this tuner should do the job too and it's just LG restricting it somehow. Any other ideas? I tried manually setting the channels but the menu does not allow it.

I agree, the analogue signal is a waste of time, but it's the digital one that is more important to me. I can't figure out why the DVB-T tuner would not work here. I have a USB one for my Laptop and that works all over the world - so surely this tuner should do the job too and it's just LG restricting it somehow. Any other ideas? I tried manually setting the channels but the menu does not allow it.

Australian DVB-T is different to that used in the UK and several parts of Europe.(Multiplex spacing I believe?) The reason your USB one works is that it is more flexible as the decoding is software rather than firmware based.

BTW on analog see if the sytem has the option to switch from PAL B/G as used in Australia to PAL I as used in UK/Eire. TV's and DVDR's etc sold in Europe are usually switchable between these and other PAL/Secam variants.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom