My Atmos speaker placement

Reading this thread with great interest, have done exactly the same with the "in ceiling wiring" and my ceiling placement is almost identical to Viper's.Finding the advice very useful, my room is slightly different, where you doorway is located I have a large bay window so my rear surrounds are further apart but a similar height,I cannot accommodate side surrounds due to the position of the living room doorway.
Main mlp is approx. 2 feet from the rear wall so had concluded that a .4 option was out due to lack of room behind the sofa ( impossible to move further into the room due to main door position) but I like the sound of using the rear positioned in ceiling speakers as TM and the front in ceiling pair as FH.
Have a new Marantz 7702 mk11 still in it's box waiting to get installed and hooked up to my Bryston 9Bsst2 (5 channel) just need speakers and added amplification, will probably go Monitor Audio for in ceilings to try and match my current MA GS based system.....getting there slowly, hopefully the wait will be worth it.....thanks for some very useful ideas guy's..

Not too much work for me with this config.

5.2.4 . . . I'll take that.

It makes sense for me to use my existing XTZ S2 for rear height duties so just need suitable speakers for Top Fronts. Not to mention a suitable, assignable receiver.
The Denon AVR X6200 is something of a steal at the moment. 9 driven channels and dual sub connections. Excellent build quality, it's made in Japan. Audyssey XT32 did a pretty good job of EQing my room.

but I like the sound of using the rear positioned in ceiling speakers as TM and the front in ceiling pair as FH.

It'll have to be RH and FH as there is no top middle and rear height amp assign for Atmos.

So, can i have Top Front, 130cm in from front wall as per my, quite vague pics, and Rear Height ? Rear Heights will be right up to the coving and firing slightly down into the room (XTZ S2's)

And this config is ok for Atmos and DTS:X ?

So, can i have Top Front, 130cm in from front wall as per my, quite vague pics, and Rear Height ? Rear Heights will be right up to the coving and firing slightly down into the room (XTZ S2's)

And this config is ok for Atmos and DTS:X ?

No, see I don't want to be wrong again, but no - I do not think you can have rear heights and top fronts 130cm from your wall - that would be a top middle.

You could have rear heights and front heights or front heights and top middle.. that's right.. right?

This is getting conflicting now.

I can do rear heights but the cabling in the ceiling is were it is.

According to my Marantz Manual you can have the following options with four height channels:-

Front Height & Top Middle
Front Height & Top Rear
Front Height & Rear Height
Top Front & Top Rear
Top Front & Rear Height
Top Middle & Rear Height

If you have the Auro3D upgrade then you have an additional option for this mode which is:-

Front Height & Surround Height.

It's best to use Front Height & Rear Height if you want ALL modes to work though.

The config is close to being sorted now.

Next query . . . In Ceiling or On Ceiling ?

In Ceiling is more discreet. On Ceiling, potentially easier to install.

The config is close to being sorted now.

Next query . . . In Ceiling or On Ceiling ?

In Ceiling is more discreet. On Ceiling, potentially easier to install.

I've been down the same path. I ended up with on-ceiling so I don't need to cut holes, haven't built the back boxes for the speakers but loving the setup as is so far. Can post pics if interested.

I've been down the same path. I ended up with on-ceiling so I don't need to cut holes, haven't built the back boxes for the speakers but loving the setup as is so far. Can post pics if interested.

I'm thinking the same here, not wanting to cut holes in the ceiling.

Pics would be great :smashin:

Thanks

Now then, knowing what a fussy bu**er you are.... or should i say perfectionist, i wouldn't want you to regret putting "on ceiling" units up and end up wishing you hadn't Kev. Here's my "On ceiling" K17's to give you an idea, which I can get away with in my dedicated bat cave, but could quite easily turn your install from a great domestic environment to something more commercial looking.
Must get the feather duster out and have a fettle ..... ahh, another downside lol.
IMG_3352.JPG
IMG_3355.JPG

Smaller units would lessen the visual impact of course but would still tend to draw your attention.

When I upgraded from KEF 3005 Eggs I had two spare. So with the wall mount attached I got a step ladder and held one against the ceiling and simply asked SWMBO what she thought. The silence was deafening. Hence the R50s.:D

Now then, knowing what a fussy bu**er you are.... or should i say perfectionist, i wouldn't want you to regret putting "on ceiling" units up and end up wishing you hadn't Kev. Here's my "On ceiling" K17's to give you an idea, which I can get away with in my dedicated bat cave, but could quite easily turn your install from a great domestic environment to something more commercial looking.

Smaller units would lessen the visual impact of course but would still tend to draw your attention.

You are so right. Not about me being fussy, well maybe a little ;). But about the visual impact they will create.

In one way, in ceiling will save me from having to cut into the floor above to locate the cable and pass it through the ceiling. I know roughly were the cables are so could cut out the template, find the cable and install.

I've had MK IW85's before, sold them now, they were good but blummin expensive for four.

Kev, I've speed read the thread so apologies if I've missed something.

I had a similar issue to you, ie I left cables when specs weren't finalised and they turned out to be in the wrong place. In particular the front atmos cables were too close to the front screen, personally I think you have the same problem.

Personally speaking I would locate the speakers EXACTLY where you want them. I'd do this by extending the cables using high quality connectors, as Rock Danger has already said this won't have any effect on the sound quality.

I would surface run the extended cables. Since you have a semi dedicated room (and an understanding wife lol) you can then cover the cables with some kind of panels. You could use the same acoustic tiles you already have, or movie prints or even just knock up some panels with battens covered in devore etc.

Your biggest issue are the front atmos speakers, they are far too close to the front main speakers. I can't see how you're going to hear any separation between the two.

For the rear I'd move the side surrounds forward and then locate the rear atmos speakers between the side surrounds and rear backs.

I wouldn't get rid of the rear backs, imho they actually add a lot to the immersive experience.

Last edited:
Your biggest issue are the front atmos speakers, they are far too close to the front main speakers. I can't see how you're going to hear any separation between the two.

For the rear I'd move the side surrounds forward and then locate the rear atmos speakers between the side surrounds and rear backs.

I wouldn't get rid of the rear backs, imho they actually add a lot to the immersive experience.

Moving the side surrounds forward of the seating is going to create a strange effect, like i'll be 'outside' of the action.

Front ceiling cabling location is approx 130cm into the room from the front wall.

I see your point with surface mounting any extra cable but having some sort of conduit or similar on the ceiling isn't going to work for me.

Moving the side surrounds forward of the seating is going to create a strange effect, like i'll be 'outside' of the action.

Front ceiling cabling location is approx 130cm into the room from the front wall.

I see your point with surface mounting any extra cable but having some sort of conduit or similar on the ceiling isn't going to work for me.

Kev, I'm not talking about using conduit, that would look awful. You cover the cable with a 'panel' of some kind and make a feature of it. You could make a panel from battens and then cover it in devore.

So in other words it will look like you have a thin acoustic panel on the ceiling. In a dedicated room it adds a look of purpose. If covered in devore it could help with light reflection as well.

Hope that makes sense.

Yeah it makes sense.

So if my cable positions are currently.

Top Front 1.30m in from front wall.

Top Middle 3.10m from front wall.

Seating (head) approx 3.7m from front wall. Seating position is pretty much a given with a slight adjustment forward or back.

Room length 4.7m

Were would you relocate to that would make a significant difference to were they are now ?

Btw, this is all helping before i make any final decisions and start installing. And i need to decide what to purchase.

Yeah it makes sense.

So if my cable positions are currently.

Top Front 1.30m in from front wall.

Top Middle 3.10m from front wall.

Seating (head) approx 3.7m from front wall. Seating position is pretty much a given with a slight adjustment forward or back.

Room length 4.7m

Were would you relocate to that would make a significant difference to were they are now ?

Btw, this is all helping before i make any final decisions and start installing. And i need to decide what to purchase.

For starters I'd move top front backwards another 0.5m so that it's about half way between MLP and LCR. This should help to fill the first half of the room with sound (and sound that makes sense)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom