My Arcam vs TAG comparison

Plump

Standard Member
Reaction score
When I changed my FMJ27 to DVD32R I promised I'll write my first experiences as soon as I run it for some time.
Here they are:

I primarily took DVD32R because I already had TAG processor (5.1 with 96kHZ DACs) and I extreamly liked its sonic stereo performance when used with DVD32R.
For my taste it was clear step forward from ARCAM. No matter if TAG Sync was engaged or not (I do not find this as milestone step forward anyway). Some people think the opposite but we are all different, aren't we?

Now the rest:
In multichannel / multichannel audio (DVD-V disks) I also have feeling something changed. I can not say it is much better but it is not the same anymore. Guess I need more listening for this.

Video performance is complicated story. Arcam FMJ player (and DiVa - I had both) both have great picture with prog. scan and beat TAG without prog. scan by small but clear margin! (player connected over component outputs to the SIM2 HT projector). Picture is somehow "more quiet". I had no chance to compare it to TAG with PSM192 but I'll upgrade it soon.
Without prog scan TAG offers "bit more composed" picture to me.
TAG is also clearly (really much) better than ARCAM over SVideo only!

Used on Philips Widescreen TV (all interlaced) there was smaller diffference. ARCAM has RGB and is maybe a bit better than TAG over SVideo but I almost never use them with TV.

Lets resume: (FOR ME) If audio is more important TAG is well worthy, if video is asked it depends on the rest of the setup. For some people TAG is too expensive but it brings nice things in the future, and we all like to play! And that support, no one can come even close! (That's why I choose TAG)
So if money is not the main object then TAG.
If funds are most important then clearly ARCAM.
Differences in those price levels are for me not so big and it is very important how the rest of the setup looks like.

Please understand this is all my opinion only and probably far away from absolute truth.
Cheers

Very interesting, for somebody wanting the best 'interlaced' output to feed to an external scaler would the DVD32R give the best picture or is there not much in it?

The TAG has an exemplary analogue component output. At the Event, feeding analogue out of DVD32r to Interpolator against SDI out of a modded Pioneer737 I gave up doing the dem as folk were finding it so hard to notice difference. This could be down to the quality of teh analogue video processing of the Interpolator though. When I did it with a SDI modded Vigatec VC1280 the SDI from 737 was obviously more detailed.

Gordon

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the info. I've not really been following the SDI stuff as I want to get away from using a computer. I'm looking for the best DVD player to feed a Faroujda NRS. The DV88 is pretty good, the DV27 appears to be even better, and after searching this forum and reading about Nic Rhodes drooling all over the floor about the DVD32R it would appear that the TAG is as good as it gets without spending significantly more so was looking for opinions before I commit to buying one.

Ah well, i'll do my bit for Boothroyd Stuart as always.

BNC Component out from Meridian 596 is extremely good.
(and i dare say it'll be superb on the 598 too)

Due to the 598's appearance, you may get a <cheaper> 596
Wish i had gone for the BNC version over the poxy SCART
(To$$er)

Adzman

I did briefly look at Meridian as I use a 602 transport. From what I read it has the chroma bug and doesn't quite match the Tag for performance, however, that may be a subjective opinion, I don't know if the two were compared against each other, I'm open to persuasion either way. Also, don't you have to faff about with an RS232 connection to download some codes to make it multi-region?

Gary.
Apparently, it has the chroma bug. I only use a 32" TV so probably dont notice it.
Perhaps, this is the reason why Meridian have chosen Faroudja for the progressive add-on as it seams to 'hide' - 'limit' the effect.
Yes, an RS232 connection is required as well as windows hyper terminal to change it to multiregion, but this only needs to be done once. Even when you software upgrade, you dont have to do it again.
The TAG DVD32R is indeed a great unit, is it a worthwile difference from having a 596?...I dont think so.
If i'd have thought different, i'd have changed it in for one by now.
The 500 series Meridian players (596-598) are up there with the TAG players.

Matching player - processor helps.

Adzman.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in.

If you have a TV only without component, won't the TAG be limited by no RGB output.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have RGB Scart as an option, I find S-Video is a bit yukky!

Martin.
Cant answer for plump, but apparently the S-Video feed from the TAG is supposed to be white hot.
I think if you're buying something like the TAG, perhaps you are purchasing with a view that it will be video compatible (BNC outputs - to Plasma BNC inputs or PJ Inputs) with any future video display devices you're fortunate to upgrade to later on..

This is why i regret going for a SCART version of the Meridian 596.
I should've gone for the BNC Component outputs.
I would've quite happily lived with the s-video feed for a while, knowing that i always had BNC Component outs up my sleeve for later use.

(Hopefully an upgrade to Faroudja progressive on 596 will save me!!!!!!!)

It has to be better in the long run.
BNC Outputs on DVD players are quite sparse.

Adzman.

Originally posted by MartinImber
I hope you don't mind me jumping in.

If you have a TV only without component, won't the TAG be limited by no RGB output.

No limitation here, Tag SVideo betters most people RGB Scart by a very decent margin.

No limitation here, Tag SVideo betters most people RGB Scart by a very decent margin.

Well SVideo to me looks ropey on most DVD players, my TV SVid is barely better than composite, but RGB is stunning.

Hence I still feel TAG lose sales for people who run TVs rather than projectors as if I had the money I would buy somebody elses high grade player with R G B

Cant answer for plump, but apparently the S-Video feed from the TAG is supposed to be white hot.

Hi All,
in the meantime I played a bit more around :)

It is very important how different input technologies are implemented into display devices. SVideo from TAG is great! But it is definitely topped from Arcam's RGB. And now I am sure in that. But the difference is not that big and if you are not going all the expensive way to the projector or plasma Arcam is better value for money.

Plump

Here's my dilemma, I want to drive my scaler with the best possible interlaced signal (Component, RGB whichever is the best) do I go for a DVD32R or an DV27? I'm only interested in video. I'm presuming that the DVD32R is the best, is it worth the extra outlay over the DV27?

Well SVideo to me looks ropey on most DVD players, my TV SVid is barely better than composite, but RGB is stunning.

A Sony TV thing and not the norm.

Hence I still feel TAG lose sales for people who run TVs rather than projectors as if I had the money I would buy somebody elses high grade player with R G B

You may well be right but component to RGB transcoders are readily available if people really need this. Most Tag users (just like I did) start out wanting RGB Scart but by testing they soon realise they are not missing out on anything and it soon becomes an irrelevance for most if not all Tag users. Personally I have three systems on the go at the moment, not a single one uses this odd european RGB connection. ;) I am still intragued why many want RGB Scarts on plamas and LCD tvs. !:devil:

Gary

Brevity is my middle name ;) Taking too much stick for 35 hr posts!

Here's my dilemma, I want to drive my scaler with the best possible interlaced signal (Component, RGB whichever is the best) do I go for a DVD32R or an DV27? I'm only interested in video. I'm presuming that the DVD32R is the best, is it worth the extra outlay over the DV27?

HM . . . I'd say TAG, only if money does not matter here, otherwise Arcam.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom