My Arcam AVR-100 has just gone bang!

nightsoil

Established Member
Reaction score
..with lots of smoke and not very nice smell !

Was only listening to a CD at low volume... Couple of questions if I may..

1) Anyone offer an idea what went bang and how much to fix?
2) Best new amp for £1000 that has good music and movie abilities?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Nightsoil sorry to hear about you're amp :(
It is probably some capacitors in the ampifier that has gone bang i would not no how expensive it will be to fix though! could be alot..
If you like the Arcam range then a good choice to look at would be the new Arcam 250 which is approx 1k or you have the Denon 3805 & Yamaha 2500.

John

Cheers John, I do like the Arcam, maybe it was little short on oomph! compared with a similar priced Denon. I'll certainly look at the 3805 and 2500 yammy.

I'm going to get a quote for fixing the Arcam before deciding what to do..

I think I know what happened - right left speaker cable was stretched slightly, and the + wire popped out and unfortunately landed on the - wire :eek:

Anyhoo I just bought a Pioneer VSX-AX5Ai-S as compensation :)

nightsoil said:
I think I know what happened - right left speaker cable was stretched slightly, and the + wire popped out and unfortunately landed on the - wire :eek:

Anyhoo I just bought a Pioneer VSX-AX5Ai-S as compensation :)

Good news nightsoil you see when these things happen it is a perfect excuse to upgrade! and the AX5 will definitly outperform the old Arcam :)

John

Yup - definately a step up in performance. My local dealer has been telling me all about the benefits of I-Link, so I just need to upgrade my Pioneer 575 player to a 757 or 868.. and if I get a 868 with HDMI I can look to getting a decent plasma.. LOL

:thumbsup:

Adam

nightsoil said:
I think I know what happened - right left speaker cable was stretched slightly, and the + wire popped out and unfortunately landed on the - wire
Look on the bright side...you have a quality paperweight now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom