My Arcam AV9/p7 P35 dilemma

Da Philster

Established Member
Problem: With a young baby and another on the way ,it's become impossible for me find time to play movies or high res audio (outside of headphones or really really quietly which is worse),its becoming clear that it may be some time before I can play once more. So I have been thinking of scaling down a bit and selling my beloved Arcam processor and amps,as they will be a couple more years down the line and older. My colleague has offered me £1800 for the Av9/P7, and I have seen the following on offer. Onkyo 5010 thx ultra 2+ for £1499, Denon avca1hda £1899.00 and Pioneer lx 86 for £1499 ex dem or mint second hand. This would cut down the 3 amps into 1 and more modern connections. Or am I a mad man for such suggestions to lose a
good thing and just sit it out until my audio heaven (albeit in smaller bits) returns again. Thoughts please. Btw Sonos is installed in all bedrooms,diner and kitchen as baby tunes are streamed round the house which the wife loves,hence mine is off a lot of the time now.

Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Having seen the prices of some recent P7 sales I think you've done well to get that amount for the AV9/P7 combo. I can't help with the new amps since I'm still happy with my AV9, P35/3 & P1000 combo though I do understand where you're coming from. Not sure if spending the same money elsewhere is likely to maintain it's value any better than what you have now though. However, my other suggestion of buying something cheaper and banking the money is subject to it still being there when you are ready and able to use your set up more fully again. ;)

Funny thing is I built my system up when my son was younger since we couldn't get out so easily, so it got more use once we had a family. He's well used to us cranking the volume up (though his room isn't above the living room which helps). Don't fall into the trap of creeping around the house while they are young otherwise you'll have to keep doing that for the rest of the time they are growing up. ;)

nrighton

Established Member
DO NOT SELL !!! Having 3 kids myself (ages 8, 5, and 3) I too have had to limit the amount of listening I do. In the past I had sold for the same reasons you have stated. I went for an alternative with modern connections ( a mid level Denon ) and a little extra cash instead of my Arcam setup. After the deal was done I immediately regretted my actions. The sound quality difference between the 2 was immediately apparent. When I did find time to listen (becomes more often as the kids grow) I was disappointed because my enjoyment was affected by inferior electronics. I finally ended up selling the Denon and getting back into some Arcam (Audiocontrol) gear and have never been happier. We now all very much enjoy movie night together. The kids love the surround effects, I love the musicality.

Da Philster

Established Member
Thanks Kelvin

Your right, the amount offered is quite good, but he has had a couple of listening sessions in the past and knows the condition etc. Its just I was getting worried that the tech marches forwards so fast and by the time I can get the movie nights, music days going, the Arcam combo will be worth a lot less than he is offering today. Having said that I have loved this set up and realise that music quality will be the probable sacrifice in all this.

Thanks also nrighton, it's good to know you have been in the same boat. I am concerned I will miss the quality as you did. I just keep seeing end of financial year ex dem stock so cheap with all the new bells and whistles whilst reducing the kit rack down.So may stick( unless a silver high quality processor comes around for silly money).

Does anyone have experience of the Av Amps mentioned at the start of this thread? If so what do you think? I don't want to change down and find they are massively inferior to the pre/power set up.
Thanks.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I think that as this is an Arcam thread you might not get such a great response to the question. Maybe worth asking over on the AV receivers and amps sub forum? I have no experience of any of those amps so can't begin to comment.

Da Philster

Established Member
Thanks Kelvin,you are probably right re other amps.Just wanted to find out what other Av9/P7 owners thought when they changed,or not. The more I think about it,the less I want to change.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
No harm in hanging on to it all a bit longer since it's unlikely to suddenly drop in value overnight.

I just noticed that your P35 is your surround back amp...mine is for my front three (P35/3) and biampd with the spare channels on my P1000. So many ways to connect things up (though I suspect your version would sound better, as I'd love a P7).

Da Philster

Established Member
Well, funny how things happen. Talked the options over with my Wife and she thought it would be a shame to sell and move on( or down grade as I call it ),so we negotiated a deal that would mean her taking the little one to her mums for a few hours,on my day off,once a week (usual baby last min problems aside ) so I can sit back with a good movie or stream some high res music, maybe even dust off an SACD or two. Then as you guys have found,things will develop as they get older and understand what fun all this stuff is, though I will probably be subjected to endless repeats of Disney movies like the Little Mermaid ,being all Girls ; ) .

I wonder if Arcam will price crash the p777 and Av888 like they have done in the past when they get replaced next year, or so the rumour goes. : )

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Mmmmm I like the sound of an end of line deal on an AV888 and P777. Sounds like you got something sorted out for a bit of 'you time' to enjoy it. I sometimes get home early and instead of (or even while) doing my paperwork I put a disc on while I have the house to myself.

nrighton

Established Member
You married well. It is great to see other guys have understanding spouses. My wife could care less about "the system" but loves me enough to let me also enjoy some listening time with and without the kids.

mac_monkey

Established Member
Don't sell!

I'm a couple of years on from you (3 yr old and 1yr old), and I wouldn't swap my Arcam for anything (apart from Bryston) - if anything I've been upgrading since they were born. The only thing to suffer is the x-box - that hasn't been plugged in for about 2 years.

At 3, my daughters favorite weekend activity is watching monsters inc at reference levels - I kid you not:smashin: There's nothing better than snuggling up with her after a hard week at work. Just make sure you invest in the pixar back catalogue before peppa pig takes over your life.

With regard to finding time, we've made a conscious effort to bring the kids up with noise, sonos is on all the time and we don't close the lounge door when watching tv at night. This means we can watch a film in the loft at fairly high levels when the kids are asleep. For "blockbusters", I just take a day off work when the kids are in nursery :blush: or pass them on to grandparents for the day - Batman (DKR) was the last time we did this.

The point at which we realised that taking time off work was a viable option and a home theatre was a good investment was when we went to the cinema and it cost us over well over £50 inc. baby sitter for a poorer experience than the home cinema.

Don't downgrade, by the time you're in the same position as me the depreciation on the replacement amp is probably going to be greater than that of the arcam over the same period anyway.

Don't dispare I'm currently having breakfast with the kids with portishead live blaring out of two sonos play 5s in stereo - kids and hifi can work - you just need to get them into it at an early age, and enjoy it as a family. Oh and I nearly forgot I've caught my 3year old "reading" (every page of) whathifi on more than one occasion:smashin:

Da Philster

Established Member
Thanks guys, your spot on nrighton about loving spouses. The great thing was ( which ties in with mac monkey) is that when I got the first Sonos amp (which I won at work:thumbsup: ) to replace my ageing Denon dm31, she didn't want to know, then when the app became available on Apple and I added play 3s for the other rooms, she started to see the full benefit of having options around the house,whilst I still had my set up for movies and high res duties. Since then and whilst I've been at work,she has found so much stuff on Spotify that you just wouldn't find in any shop today, either for herself or baby music (lots of classical to stimulate left side of the brain:)),only danger was that's the sonos became the music default system for any music.

I'm so pleased that others have or have had similar predicaments that they have come through and now involve the children as well. I do have a pretty good catalogue of Disneys/pixars finest on BD, yes im a big kid at heart, besides Up,Monsters Inc etc,are as much for adults anyway,so i tell myself. Im not sure I would get away with reference levels though ,as although like others ,we would often snuggle up to a good movie together,I would only play reference levels before babies and when she was at work. Btw on the Av9/p7,and a 1000 watt B&W 825 sub, arcams THX reference is seriously loud,so hope mac monkey has understanding neighbours or a nice detached property:smashin:
I am going to keep what I have and just replace when the right Processor deal,or power amp comes along.
My first film will be The Dark Knight Rises,as I have had it on BD but have been waiting for a bit of me time to view and hear it uninterrupted,followed by The Lord of the Rings trilogy ext edition as the Hobbit has got me back into Middle Earth.

Last edited:

OneDesi

Distinguished Member
Having done something similar myself a few years ago I went through a phase of not caring about AV, then missing it and buying an onkyo setup to tide me over and ultimately came back to Arcam via the AVR600.

For the money on offer I would seriously consider letting it go but I'd be less inclined to spend the money on the amps you refer to as there is nothing that will match the Arcam sound. I would probsbly opt for a 2nd hand receiver from prior years or maybe even an arcam avr400 and keep the pennies until you can go back to the quality of your super setup.

The best thing is that as my kids have grown up they love the quality of the system and the av is a central part of our home life.

sounddog

Prominent Member
I think as others have said, I would either: sell it and buy a £3-500 AV Receiver or S/H AVR400 (I replaced a AV8/P1000 with a AVR400 when the AV8 broke and wasn't disappointed); or keep it all. I can't personally see the point of selling it all for £1800 and spending the majority on an amp that in 3years time will be worth a fraction of the value I expect your AV9/P7 will have.

The P7 especially will keep its value I think - though there is talk of replacement for the AV888 I expect the P777 will remain.

Eloise

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung & LG UK TV Prices 2023; Amazon Fire TV Cube; Calibration Tools of the Trade + AV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom