• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My Amstrad HD box!

Infiltrator2K

Standard Member
I've just had my 2 week old Amstrad HD box replaced because of a faulty modem. It was replaced this morning with a brand new Samsung - hooray!! :clap: the contrast now works & the box also runs quieter & cooler!

Cloverleaf

Banned
Result. Amstrad really are pants :smashin:

Infiltrator2K

Standard Member
Absolutely, always were, always have been pants. I've never bought any thing cheap like Amstrad, although the HD box was forced on me by Sky, and low and behold, it was faulty!

spile

Absolutely, always were, always have been pants. I've never bought any thing cheap like Amstrad, although the HD box was forced on me by Sky, and low and behold, it was faulty!
Had a Samsung - lasted two months and then failed.
Now have a perfectly functioniong Amstrad so go figure.
Also it might be worth you finding out who own Amstrad.
At the end of the day, don't read too much into a name.
Put another way if you have a perfectly functioning box, cover over the name with Samsung, Linn, Roksan or whatever :)

tele1962

Distinguished Member
I've just had my 2 week old Amstrad HD box replaced because of a faulty modem. It was replaced this morning with a brand new Samsung - hooray!! :clap: the contrast now works & the box also runs quieter & cooler!
Good for you mate at least now you have a box were everything works as it should and no stuck contrast(faulty box).:thumbsup:

derbyjj

HMM pleasant surprise yesterday morning ! no not that !!
Sky man Sam arrived on time and agreed my Pace HD tuner2 was kaput and horrors replaced it with an Amstrad box!
BUT its working fine. Colour and HD picture actually seems better than the Pace.
Still got the old EPG so no Champions league on ITVHD.
Contrast is stuck on HD but it does alter the RFout picture.
I know I've only had it for 28 hrs but it looks like my fears were unfounded.

I have had an Amstrad sky+ SD box which had the vertical bar problem and reqd an e-mail to James Murdoch to get it changed so I was sceptical to say the least.
This is my 3rd HD box in 12 months Samsusng then Pace then Amstrad. All have had their foibles.
Samsung great picture,rubbish PVR facilities, lipsync errors, really bad rfout2 final problem which required its change was not being able to watch the last episode of LOST recorded on series link.

Pace pic not as good as Samsung, excellent PVR and new EPG Final,problem dodgy Tuner2.

Amstrad excellent pic but only old EPG and no ITVHD... seems v quiet will keep you posted.

Vitalija

I've had two Amstrads go faulty with me. Trouble is, the latest one has no outputs for my dvd. Engineer had no Pace or Thompson boxes with him. He rang Sky and I talked to them. I said I needed a Pace or Thompson as they had the extra outputs. I was told tough titty basically! She said they couldn't guarantee what box I got when the engineer calls.
So now I can't watch dvd's without unplugging something else every time. Totally rubbish service for a full subscription customer withe HD and multiroom. I even have their poxy insurance!:thumbsdow

chrismuk

I've had two Amstrads go faulty with me. Trouble is, the latest one has no outputs for my dvd. Engineer had no Pace or Thompson boxes with him. He rang Sky and I talked to them. I said I needed a Pace or Thompson as they had the extra outputs. I was told tough titty basically! She said they couldn't guarantee what box I got when the engineer calls.
So now I can't watch dvd's without unplugging something else every time. Totally rubbish service for a full subscription customer withe HD and multiroom. I even have their poxy insurance!:thumbsdow

What extra outputs are you referring to? With the exception of the component outs which are only on the older thomson boxes all of the outputs are the same on the HD boxes, pace, amstrad and samsung have the same outputs on the back as far as I'm aware.

Don't you just plug your DVD (not sure if its a recorder or not) into the scart?

tele1962

Distinguished Member
HMM pleasant surprise yesterday morning ! no not that !!
Sky man Sam arrived on time and agreed my Pace HD tuner2 was kaput and horrors replaced it with an Amstrad box!
BUT its working fine. Colour and HD picture actually seems better than the Pace.
Still got the old EPG so no Champions league on ITVHD.
Contrast is stuck on HD but it does alter the RFout picture.
I know I've only had it for 28 hrs but it looks like my fears were unfounded.

I have had an Amstrad sky+ SD box which had the vertical bar problem and reqd an e-mail to James Murdoch to get it changed so I was sceptical to say the least.
This is my 3rd HD box in 12 months Samsusng then Pace then Amstrad. All have had their foibles.
Samsung great picture,rubbish PVR facilities, lipsync errors, really bad rfout2 final problem which required its change was not being able to watch the last episode of LOST recorded on series link.

Pace pic not as good as Samsung, excellent PVR and new EPG Final,problem dodgy Tuner2.

Amstrad excellent pic but only old EPG and no ITVHD... seems v quiet will keep you posted.
Contrast stuck on high!!!!!!!!!!!!.:nono:

chrismuk

:rolleyes::suicide:
Your box is faulted mate i just can not figure out why people are putting up with it?????????

probably because it doesn't cause them a problem.

Let me think.... hmm box stuck on medium which works well with my setup and I'm happy with the picture, I have two options,

1. Phone sky, complain, I can't change my contrast setting its stuck on medium and although I want it on medium, and will always leave it on medium I demand a new box!! Take a day off work, wait for Sky guy to come round... Oh no, he's only got a shabby Thomson refurb, its slower and noisier than my Amstrad, but at least now I can change the contrast... I'll choose, medium!

Or

2. Don't phone Sky as I'm pefectly happy with the box and can sit back safe in the knowledge that when the new EPG rolls I can if I'm bored flick contrast from Medium, to High, to low and then back to Medium again where I wanted it to start with.

Hmmm, option 2 I think. :D

Last edited:

Vitalija

What extra outputs are you referring to? With the exception of the component outs which are only on the older thomson boxes all of the outputs are the same on the HD boxes, pace, amstrad and samsung have the same outputs on the back as far as I'm aware.

Don't you just plug your DVD (not sure if its a recorder or not) into the scart?

Sorry, i'm not too technically minded. My system was installed for me and there were 3 extra sockets on the old box which took 3 different colour coded plugs. These extra sockets aren't on the new Amstrads but the engineer told me they are on the Pace & Thompsons. The system seems quite complicated as the hi-fi is linked to it and the speakers have an amp each and there is also a power amp. On top of that there is the box that controls the Pioneer tv and a dvd. I did ask the woman how can I get the right box and she just said I have to have whatever box the engineer has on board. It was this attitude which peed me off.

kenedin

:rolleyes::suicide:
Your box is faulted mate i just can not figure out why people are putting up with it?????????

Maybe it's because they're just....... not...... interested, and they're happy with what they're seeing on their screen?

tele1962

Distinguished Member
probably because it doesn't cause them a problem.

Let me think.... hmm box stuck on medium which works well with my setup and I'm happy with the picture, I have two options,

1. Phone sky, complain, I can't change my contrast setting its stuck on medium and although I want it on medium, and will always leave it on medium I demand a new box!! Take a day off work, wait for Sky guy to come round... Oh no, he's only got a shabby Thomson refurb, its slower and nosier than my Amstrad, but at least now I can change the contrast... I'll choose, medium!

Or

2. Don't phone Sky as I'm pefectly happy with the box and can sit back safe in the knowledge that when the new EPG rolls I can if I'm bored flick contrast from Medium, to High, to low and then back to Medium again where I wanted it to start with.

Hmmm, option 2 I think. :D

Ok then your box is stuck on medium??? and if it were stuck on high????????:nono:
I realy can not see the logic in what you are saying infact it's utter nonsence:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

chrismuk

Sorry, i'm not too technically minded. My system was installed for me and there were 3 extra sockets on the old box which took 3 different colour coded plugs. These extra sockets aren't on the new Amstrads but the engineer told me they are on the Pace & Thompsons. The system seems quite complicated as the hi-fi is linked to it and the speakers have an amp each and there is also a power amp. On top of that there is the box that controls the Pioneer tv and a dvd. I did ask the woman how can I get the right box and she just said I have to have whatever box the engineer has on board. It was this attitude which peed me off.

The three coloured connectors are the component out connectors, I didn't think the Pace boxes came with these either, only the older thomson boxes, I think even the newer thomsons don't have component out anymore.

Your setup does sound quite complicated, sounds like you need to try and get an older thomson for it.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Maybe it's because they're just....... not...... interested, and they're happy with what they're seeing on their screen?
I give up:suicide: you keep paying your money to SKY for your hd service your not getting it as it should be and your happy.
No wonder this country is in such a state.:rolleyes:

chrismuk

Ok then your box is stuck on medium??? and if it were stuck on high????????:nono:
I realy can not see the logic in what you are saying infact it's utter nonsence:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

If it were stuck on high and it affected my picture I'd want it swapped by Sky.

I do see where your coming from, you want everyone with an Amstrad box to complain to Sky as you think this will put pressure on them to act on the problem or something.

The logic is quite simple, I have no reason to complain to Sky as the problem doesn't affect my ability to watch and enjoy Sky HD. I could complain to Sky on principle that the contrast function doesn't allow me to change the contrast but why would I? I don't want my box exchanged, I definitely wouldn't want to risk getting a box with other problems over a function I do not need.

Your logic doesn't make sense to me, you want people who are happy, to complain about a problem that has already been fixed and will be rolled out in the next update.

I presume you've had your Amstrad swapped out for a different box, so Sky have addressed the problem for you and fixed the problem in a future software release, in all honesty what more can they do? Its like you have some vendetta against Amstrad!

Last edited:

Vitalija

The three coloured connectors are the component out connectors, I didn't think the Pace boxes came with these either, only the older thomson boxes, I think even the newer thomsons don't have component out anymore.

Your setup does sound quite complicated, sounds like you need to try and get an older thomson for it.

Looks like that's what i'll have to do. Thanks.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
If it were stuck on high and it affected my picture I'd want it swapped by Sky.

I do see where your coming from, you want everyone with an Amstrad box to complain to Sky as you think this will put pressure on them to act on the problem or something.

The logic is quite simple, I have no reason to complain to Sky as the problem doesn't affect my ability to watch and enjoy Sky HD. I could complain to Sky on principle that the contrast function doesn't allow me to change the contrast but why would I? I don't want my box exchanged, I definitely wouldn't want to risk getting a box with other problems over a function I do not need.

Your logic doesn't make sense to me, you want people who are happy, to complain about a problem that has already been fixed and will be rolled out in the next update.

I presume you've had your Amstrad swapped out for a different box, so Sky have addressed the problem for you and fixed the problem in a future software release, in all honesty what more can they do? Its like you have some vendetta against Amstrad!
Your keep sayig yours is stuck on medium,IT'S THE ONES STUCK ON HIGH I AM ON ABOUT!
I can not see your argument yours is stuck on medium your happy the ones who should complain is the ones stuck on high which is what i have said all along.
I do not like a large company like SKY knowingly supplying faulty boxes and charging for them
So you are happy because it is stuck on what you think is medium,so be it.But again my tv and many others have been pro calibrated as i have said many times at great expence and it did have a huge impact on it.

Can you please tell all the people with the contrast stuck on high, when the roll out will be, or does it not make sense to contact SKY and complain,which i think is a very logical solution don't you.:lesson:

Last edited:

chrismuk

Your keep sayig yours is stuck on medium,IT'S THE ONES STUCK ON HIGH I AM ON ABOUT!
I can not see your argument yours is stuck on medium your happy the ones who should complain is the ones stuck on high which is what i have said all along.
I do not like a large company like SKY knowingly supplying faulty boxes and charging for them
So you are happy because it is stuck on what you think is medium,so be it.But again my tv and many others have been pro calibrated as i have said many times at great expence and it did have a huge impact on it.

To be fair I have already agreed with you that if someones box is stuck on high and they are not happy with their box then they should complain to Sky.

You do give the impression in your posts that you believe all Amstrads are stuck on high and that anyone with one should complain and everyone else should avoid them and I find that a bit one sided. If people want to complain because they're not happy, fine, they will do, if they don't then they won't. You don't need to keep telling everyone that they're wrong for not sharing your opinion.:lesson:

Can you please tell all the people with the contrast stuck on high, when the roll out will be or does it not make sence to contact SKY and complain,which i think is a very logical solution don't you.:lesson:

I've never claimed to know when the roll out will happen, I've only repeated that apparently the issue has been corrected in the new EPG, reported elsewhere by some people testing it for sky on this forum. Sure they could be telling porkies, we'll have to wait and see.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
To be fair I have already agreed with you that if someones box is stuck on high and they are not happy with their box then they should complain to Sky.

You do give the impression in your posts that you believe all Amstrads are stuck on high and that anyone with one should complain and everyone else should avoid them and I find that a bit one sided. If people want to complain because they're not happy, fine, they will do, if they don't then they won't. You don't need to keep telling everyone that they're wrong for not sharing your opinion.:lesson:

I've never claimed to know when the roll out will happen, I've only repeated that apparently the issue has been corrected in the new EPG, reported elsewhere by some people testing it for sky on this forum. Sure they could be telling porkies, we'll have to wait and see.

I am not telling everyone they are wrong i just believe some people do not realise that when the SKY engineer calls with the shiny new Amstrad box under there arm until this issue is sorted they should refuse it.
Its not my opinion mate it is a fact.

Wakedux

All boxes have one problem or another (I should know i've had a fair few over the last 10years!)

The issue that you talk about is only noticeable on pics with very high whites (i.e. don't watch Fargo! ;))

The box will be retrospectively repaired by Sky. Sky have stated that they will rectify this issue with the new EPG. Therefore Sky have listened and will repair this error, I fail to see what more complaining would do?

I'm also delighted that your calibrated picture is perfect, please enjoy it while it lasts and your latest box breaks down (which eventually it will) and you'll end up with new box with different problems!! :eek:

tele1962

Distinguished Member
All boxes have one problem or another (I should know i've had a fair few over the last 10years!)

The issue that you talk about is only noticeable on pics with very high whites (i.e. don't watch Fargo! ;))

The box will be retrospectively repaired by Sky. Sky have stated that they will rectify this issue with the new EPG. Therefore Sky have listened and will repair this error, I fail to see what more complaining would do?

I'm also delighted that your calibrated picture is perfect, please enjoy it while it lasts and your latest box breaks down (which eventually it will) and you'll end up with new box with different problems!! :eek:

It probably will last a lot longer than the Amstrad as i have upgraded the PSU and the Hard Drive :smashin:i now have a box with the new EPG,no contrast issues and would you believe it i had to do this all my self so as to get a hopefully reliable SKY HD box.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom