1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My amp keeps turning itself off

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stampax, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have an old Sony amp that keeps turning itself off (well into stanbye).....

Anyone know if this suggests its simply fit for the bin, or is there likely to be a simple solution???

2. narcoticsuite

narcoticsuite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't think there is a simple solution. The same thing happened to a sherwood av amp of mine after i had used it all night for party music at very high volumes. I had blown the power supply apparently, just from over driving it. Totally my fault, it was played very loud for hours and had a VCR on top of it which was blocking up the ventilation holes on top of the amp. The top of the amp and the bottom of the VCR were too hot to touch and there was a horrible baking smell coming from the amp.

I got it fixed under warranty, no idea how much it would cost normally.

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,342
    Does it turn itself off after some time? - suggests it's overheating for some reason.
    Or immediately? - suggests it's got a short circuit probably a bit of speaker wire touching across two contacts at the back.