1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My amp has no Tuner. What to do??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dAvE6, Jun 26, 2002.

1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Denon AVC-A1D for £650 second hand to replace my dissapointing Sony STR-DB1070 amp (I'm praying for an improvement in sound quality. Will there even be one?). It hasn't been delivered yet, but already i'm aware it has no tuner. I suppose i need a separate unit.

Could anyone reccomend an affordable and decent match for that amp? What's the difference between an expensive tuner and a cheap one?

Thanks.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There should be a noticeable improvement in sound quality, I reckon. I went from an STR-DB930 to - as you know :cool: - an A1D and I immediately had this sense that the Sony was giving me everything too "bold," as in a large print edition or something. Weird way of putting it but that's exactly how it felt. The denon sounds clear as anything, amazingly detailed and just less like a box of electronics. As a straight stereo amp I know it's on a par with anything else I've heard. I hope your speakers are good and you've considered their placement and your room acoustics to get the best out of your purchase(s).

As for a tuner, someone was selling a TU-1500RDS in these very classifieds recently. Gold too ! However, I'd strongly recommend the Sky Digital route for your radio needs. Look into it.

Mike.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Money :p

Cheers,

Mike.

4. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, you seem to be my main port of call in the Denon questions.:)

What do you mean by 'the sky digital route'? Do the set-top boxes contain tuners or something?

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sky satellites carry dozens of radio stations in 192 k/Bps MPEG (i.e., digital) sound (everything from the full BBC roster - inc. R5 & 6 - through to Jazz FM, Capitol Gold etc etc etc. There'll be full lists up somewhere, I forget where). My Sony skybox has an optical digital output and listening via the amp's AL24 processing is a marked improvement on any digiboxes internal decoders. Overall, I'd say it was a better solution than any FM tuner. If you get a box and a free-to-air viewing card you're away with digital telly too ;-) Your skybox will end up being your main source - though you can't watch a TV channel and listen to a radio station at the same time.

Mike.

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Arcam T51, main reason was to match the FMJ27, as they sit beside each other on my TV rack...

It does sound quite good with a Magnum Dynalab Silver Ribbon (FM antenna)...

7. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were you, I'd wait a few months until some more DAB tuners become available.

John

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Videologic DRX-601 DAB tuner and it's excellent but Sky is better. DAB bitrates are going down all the time as more and more stations are vying for the limited bandwidth, not so with satellite. Look on the alt.radio.digital newsgroup, the consensus is that Sky is the way to go.

Mike.