My amp get really hot

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by DarkRaikonne, Dec 27, 2011.

1. DarkRaikonne

DarkRaikonne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Firstly I would like to say that I'm novice to this so tell me if I'm wrong.

I'm have been using Yamaha AS-500 connected to pair Wharfedale diamond 10.4 and everything was just fine. Yesterday I went shopping and have seen a pair of Wharfedale 9.0 for £40 clearance so I could resist those as I have read some good reviews about them before.

I connected those to Yamaha AS-500. So now I have 10.4 as fronts and 9.0 as back. Everything is just fine they giving good sound for the money but my amp get hot after 10min of use at about 50-60 max power.
    Where I had only 10.4 before playing that loud and everything was just fine.

It is my first proper system which I bought two weeks ago so I don't know if it's normal or no.

I'm using different cable to connect my front and back speakers but they both are speakers cables and has been recommended in store so I don't thing it's an issue.

Also I would like to add sub to my system but now I'm not sure if my amp can handle it because it's might get even hotter.

thanks for help.

2. abbo

abbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    Firstly, you destroy any kind of Stereo imaging by using 2 pairs of speakers in the same room, 1 pair per room will sound the best.
    Secondly, your Amp is a 2 channel Stereo device not a multichannel AV amp. The reason it is now getting very hot is because it is working too hard running all four speakers at high volumes. It will probably cut out in the end. The main reason for the 'speaker 2' terminals is to run a second pair of speakers in another room, but you have to be sure that BOTH PAIRS of speakers are not rated BELOW 8 OHMS, but it will always reduce your Amp's power output because it is being asked to draw lots more current for both pairs - hence it is now overheating when you are trying to get the same volume out of it!
    Get rid of the second pair of speakers, set up the single pair in the proper way and enjoy your music - you have a great Amp there but it is totally wasted using it as you are.
    Adding a Sub will do no harm as long as its a Powered (active) type as it takes its feed from the pre amp stage, not from the power stage.
    Hope this helps you.

3. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,505
    Before purchasing and connecting speakers it is generally wise to read the manual; in your case pages 4 & 6 are highly relevant. It clearly states that what you have done is not supported. You are trying to drive 4 x 6 Ohm speakers simultaneously from a 2 channel amp at high volumes. Your amp wasn't designed to do this and so generates a lot of heat as it attempts to yield more that it was designed to. This abuse will shorten the life of the Yamaha.

An active subwoofer will be fine, your Yamaha AS-500 has a subwoofer output jack. This too is explained in the manual.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  4. DarkRaikonne

DarkRaikonne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So just to make it clear to me...

If both pairs were 8 ohm the overheat problem wouldn't be an issue anymore and the Yamaha AS-500 would run safe?

5. Phildick

Phildick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It would help a bit. But read post 2 and the manual :lesson:

6. DarkRaikonne

DarkRaikonne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know mate but that what I don't understand why does Yamaha as-500 make possible to connect two pairs of speakers if you can't run it loud at high volumes due to overheat.

As far as I understand even at 8 Ohms

7. abbo

abbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    The second output is really only for occasional use in another room at NORMAL volume levels. Can I ask the obvious question? Why did you buy a stereo amp and not a multichannel av amp :confused:

8. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,505
    The idea is to run one or the other, rather than both all the time - at normal levels. You are driving the amp very hard ("50-60 max power"). It wasn't built for the sort of punishment you're giving it; for that you need rather different hardware.

9. DarkRaikonne

DarkRaikonne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, but the point is when I run two Wharfedale 10.4 even at 80% of max power the amp can handle it easy, staying cold all the time. also when I run those 4 at about 25% it no problem as well. I know it's wrong now because they amp meant to be 2 channel stereo.

Saying different hardware you mean something like AV receiver?

10. DarkRaikonne

DarkRaikonne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    told you am novice to this. I'm learning from mistakes. Also I through that eve stereo amp can go quite loud.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  11. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,505
    The "mistake" you've made was not reading the manual, and being a novice is no excuse for this :). We even have a bespoke forum smiley for this: :rtfm:

Yes your amp will happily drive one pair of 6 Ohm speakers at a volume that is severely detrimental to your hearing, or two pairs at sensible levels. But you're trying to drive two pairs of speaker at injurious levels simultaneously, against the explicit statements in the manual.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011