My amazing new edgeless screen, the React 2.1 and Darbee Darblet from IdealAV

rhubarb4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
All I can say is wow, After the excellent service I have received from IdealAV with all my purchases I ordered the Screen from Allan with his own version of the screen controller which works flawlessly, and also the Darbee Darblet visual enhancer.

The screen arrived very quick which I was really happy about as Allan said it could take up to 4 weeks to be on the safe side, and it was here in around 2, bonus. After a courtesy call from Allan to let me know it was on its way, we spoke about the Darbee Darblet and he recommended me to have one. Explaining how the quality is drastically improved and hearing how excited Allan was about it I new it must be good so I added that to my list and it arrived the next day.

I have a Epson EH-TW9000 which I had from Allan and after demoing it on his React 2 screen I knew I wanted one, My previous screen was a grey screen from eBay which was truly dreadful, and after seeing this screen I cant believe I kept it for so long. I decided to go with no borders as I get that bit extra size and a bit of leeway for fitting my image perfectly to the screen, I must say it looks fantastic, I've now got it all set-up so thought I would put a thread together.

This is the screen after I first put it up I really prefer it without the black border that my old eBay screen had.

P1030866.jpg

As you can see completely flat and border-less, excuse my painting still in the middle of decorating lol.

Here is the screen with the light off, I have a white ceiling and its hardly picked up as the screen is excellent at keeping light leak/reflection away.

P1030870.jpg

38101b24a40c4aa71caa72766b7ed62f.jpg

Now with the light on this is a 60w bulb so quite bright.

76286e7c87e04365417958fa9b3aabfc.jpg

P1030875.jpg

As you can see the screen can be watched in a well lit room I think its worth its weight in gold Im very happy with it.

Now for the Darbee Darblet, it really is as good as Allan said the detail is epic it just seems to pop out of the screen, the skin detail drastically improves, this really is a very special bit of kit and strangely not much bigger than an Iphone.

P1030884.jpg

Left side of Bonds face without the Darblet, Right side with.

P1030876.jpg

6e10d2c611409f0030fe6edfdef4a6ed.jpg

This is really noticeable on the man with the suit of Bee's the left side seems to blend in but the right side pops out with such detail.

Here is a before and after of a PC sorce so not high quality but looks amazing after the Darblet does its magic

Before.
82740a66b701a316b44a0037f13be81a.jpg

After.
be0b57ecc74b2669d260ac7a523fa5d2.jpg

Notice how defined the fur looks on the bear in the second picture.

Well a big thanks to Allan from IdealAV for helping me and sorting me out with my AV gear and putting up with all my queries and questions.

Thanks for reading, Chris.

I notice that you have the Darbee set @ 75% have you tried it any lower than that and still noticed a difference ? or are you only starting to notice the sharpness at around that level ?

sanjuro said:
I notice that you have the Darbee set @ 75% have you tried it any lower than that and still noticed a difference ? or are you only starting to notice the sharpness at around that level ?

Hi, Iv not tried it lower as I have enjoyed how it looks I will try it at 50% and see what difference that makes, Iv got to get my projector calibrated too iv used over 1500 hours so its well bedded in, I just want to see what its like calibrated as its out of the box settings since Iv had it.

Hi Chris

Great to hear that you are pleased, the new ReAct 2.1 I think is seriously good and your photo's show the image off very well

anyway cheers and glad your enjoying the big screen

Allan :smashin:

Hi folks,

Quick question about the borderless Draper React 2.1 screens:

If I order a 2400mm wide screen, does that mean I get 2500mm (or maybe a few mm less) viewable width if the screen is borderless? If so, I could go with this option instead of a 2700 screen as the smallest image I can throw is about 2450mm but the bordered version of the 2400 is only 2300 viewable width. I can't move the PJ any closer as it is in an adjoining room and don't want the screen any further from the wall.

Quite like the idea of a borderless screen (particularly a darker material like the react) as the projected image never seems to exactly fit within the borders :)

Thanks,
NB

Hi folks,

If I order a 2400mm wide screen, does that mean I get 2500mm (or maybe a few mm less) viewable width if the screen is borderless? If so, I could go with this option instead of a 2700 screen as the smallest image I can throw is about 2450mm but the bordered version of the 2400 is only 2300 viewable width. I can't move the PJ any closer as it is in an adjoining room and don't want the screen any further from the wall.

Quite like the idea of a borderless screen (particularly a darker material like the react) as the projected image never seems to exactly fit within the borders :)

Thanks,
NB

if you order a 240cm screen that is the overall width, if it had borders then the viewing width would be 230cms

if you want a screen that is wider than max 240cm then you have to go up into a Linea case which can go up to a 300cms

i know what you mean though about fitting the borders exact but a borderless ReAct 2.1 removes this issue

hth`s

Allan

Thanks. I was thinking for a minute that the quoted size was the viewable size. :blush:

Might as well get 2700 borderless for a bigger picture :)

edit: also according to draper's website, the diplomat and blackline also go to 270cm width. I'm guessing the Linea is more expensive owing to its rounded aluminium case, concealed fixings and the way the screen disappears into it, but none of these are relevant to me since the screen will be hidden in the ceiling between the rafters.

Can the sesame 2.1 be fitted with access only from beneath, ie without pulling up the floor above? This would give me the best look.

Last edited:
that`ll be a Linea then, a lovely screen :smashin:

where does it say the Diplomat and Blackline go up to 270cms

and the Sesame is max at 240cms unless they changed everything and not told me

yes the Sesame can be fitted from below, thats how I did mine

Last edited:
Normal Bias said:
Hi folks,

Thanks,
NB

Hi buddy, after talking with Allan he got me to go for the boarderless screen and its fantastic it gives an edgeless feeling and is so forgiving when getting the image to fill the screen, its the best idea he had. At day or night the screen looks amazing and at night because of the colour of the material it gives you the effect of a floating image. I can't recommend enough for you to go without the boarders it just looks so much better than having the black bars around it.

Chris.

Hi buddy, after talking with Allan he got me to go for the boarderless screen and its fantastic it gives an edgeless feeling and is so forgiving when getting the image to fill the screen, its the best idea he had. At day or night the screen looks amazing and at night because of the colour of the material it gives you the effect of a floating image. I can't recommend enough for you to go without the boarders it just looks so much better than having the black bars around it.

Chris.

Yea I'm thinking the same. I'm a bit OCDish when it comes to lining things up, this would be ideal.

The blackline goes to 270cm here:

http://www.drapergroupltd.co.uk/backnet/media_archive/original/a4a8395257ace6f7ca1887f376b4e024.pdf

Sesame 2.1 goes to 300cm:

http://www.drapergroupltd.co.uk/backnet/media_archive/original/b2bd6a6972b3112bd7f0b08b32d480db.pdf

could have sworn I saw the diplomat as well but might have imagined that :). Could be the wrong website :rolleyes:

A 270cm borderless sesame would be ideal :love:. Time to start saving :rolleyes:

I hope your right about the sizes as i`m pretty certain the max width of those 2 screens is 240cm

as a dealer its quite often we are the last to be told :D

you can rest assured i`ll find out tomorrow for certain :smashin:

Yea I'm thinking the same. I'm a bit OCDish when it comes to lining things up, this would be ideal.

The blackline goes to 270cm here:

http://www.drapergroupltd.co.uk/backnet/media_archive/original/a4a8395257ace6f7ca1887f376b4e024.pdf

Sesame 2.1 goes to 300cm:

http://www.drapergroupltd.co.uk/backnet/media_archive/original/b2bd6a6972b3112bd7f0b08b32d480db.pdf

could have sworn I saw the diplomat as well but might have imagined that :). Could be the wrong website :rolleyes:

A 270cm borderless sesame would be ideal :love:. Time to start saving :rolleyes:

As I said, all Diplomat - Blackline and Sesame screens have a max width of 240 cms

its only the Linea that can go up to a max of 300cms using ReAct 2.1

Draper seem to have corrected their info, my links no longer work and the new PDF shows 240. At least there's no confusion now :)

if you order a 240cm screen that is the overall width, if it had borders then the viewing width would be 230cms

if you want a screen that is wider than max 240cm then you have to go

i know what you mean though about fitting the borders exact but a borderless ReAct 2.1 removes this issue

hth`s

Allan
Another quick question about the borderless draper react 2.1 screens :D

So if I wanted a borderless 260cm screen width, is that 260cm before the tab tensioning? Or is it the overall length of the screen including the case? Just abit puzzled at the moment lol. Thanks

Hi Franky

the overall width of the screen material is usually quoted and the case is obviously longer

as in the Diplomat for instance, the max material width is 240cm and the overall case width is material width + 125mm

cheers Allan :smashin:

Ahh thanks for clearing that up :)

Just want to make sure I've got the measurements correct. With borderless there's no need to take 10cm off the screen width to get the surface area measurement is there? As there's no borders.

correct

this is the beauty of going borderless, it gives you the opportunity to maximise the image size

you can also project any image ratio you want without having to realigned the projector, why it's taken people so long to get this is amazing, it's a no brainier and agreed by everyone who sees it here

Last edited:
If I go passed the 240cm max width for the diplomat screen, what would be the difference between the Thor and the Linea cases?

the linea case is a nicer looking case for a living room environment,
the Thor is a larger Diplomat case to be honest which allows it to house a larger roller enabling more diameter, this allows a longer roller hence a wider screen than the Standard Diplomat and Sesame case

If I go passed the 240cm max width for the diplomat screen, what would be the difference between the Thor and the Linea cases?

When going bigger, just make sure you don't go too big. Else it gets fatiguing and less of a pleasure to watch. You'll have to take account of your seating distances etc and ensure that your projector fires out enough light to properly light up the screen.

Best to have your room properly surveyed and see if it works in your space and is for you.

that goes with every installation ;)

the linea case is a nicer looking case for a living room environment,
the Thor is a larger Diplomat case to be honest which allows it to house a larger roller enabling more diameter, this allows a longer roller hence a wider screen than the Standard Diplomat and Sesame case

When going bigger, just make sure you don't go too big. Else it gets fatiguing and less of a pleasure to watch. You'll have to take account of your seating distances etc and ensure that your projector fires out enough light to properly light up the screen.

Best to have your room properly surveyed and see if it works in your space and is for you.

Much appreciated

A big screen is definitely for me ;) Ive blew up the image to different measurements 240-260-275 and they all looked great, with 275 feeling like I was at the IMAX :thumbsup:

I would imagine there's a price difference between the two cases?

The Linea is more expensive than the diplomat. As stated above, it's curvier and a neater looking case and also accommodates a larger screen size. Both have the optional lower black dowel rather than the white. That doesn't cost any extra.

It's not that much more expensive but that is of course relative.

Where are you based?

prices can be got in an email rather than conducting business on the forum. also its much easier to send you pdf`s and such in an email to be honest with you

and I know you`ll want pdf`s as they give you all the dimensions you could ever want :D

I`d also urge you, infact I`d more or less insist ;) that you go borderless with a black bottom weight bar, its much better, maximises on image size at no extra cost and does away with the ladder line issue caused with the welded seam between the ReAct and top leader surfaces, and for me looks better as well

neither do you get the issue with borders going out of line with over tensioning, it really is the way to order these screens

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom