1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My AE700 arrives tomorrow, help me survive the first few hours!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by silentbob, Dec 2, 2004.

1. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So, finally (after what seems like aeons) I will get my new toy tomorrow.

And after thinking about it all, I realised that, whilst I know the Tech Specs of the unit off by heart - I don't really know the first thing about basci installation and initial maintenance.

So, what I need to know is the boring stuff like:

- Does the bulb come pre-fitted?
    - How long should it warm up for initially?
    - Are there any hidden bits of packaging I need to remove?
    - How can I stop myself pulling an all night movie bender, and thus irking the wife into a messy divorce?
    - Is there anything else I need to be wary of - general tips from experienced owners?

Cheers all!

2. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    you cant , but its unlikey you will notice! :oops:

as for the tech questions my z1 bulb was already in , the set up was easy and straight forward and the only thing needed was a play with some of the colour options.i would have thought yours will be much the same but someone will be on soon who has got one i am sure!!

3. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Hi Bob,

the bulb comes pre-fitted. Get 700 out of its box, plug it into your player, switich it on. The time it takes to set it up for the screen you're using, focus it, check the default settings etc.. should be more than sufficient warm up time. **** I think mine was running for less than 2 mins before I had to slap a disc on lol. No hidden packaging, well at least not on mine but then I took home the one in the shop I had demoed - cheers Ben. The only tip I would give at this stage is to just watch some films before getting into the picture settings, enjoy it for a while cause when you start to play this will take some time.

It is on that last point that might irk your wife more than the initial bender. I would sit her down calmly and insist that if divorce does happen then she can have everything other than the projector :smashin:

Hope this helps.

Keith Hurst

4. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeh my AE700 was so good that i didnt do too much fiddling. Ive recently started to fiddle more just to see what it is capable of, even though im completely happy.

I was fiddling yesterday when people came over and asked what i was doing. I said I was configuring it coz I dont like the picture and the colours. They said "what the hell am I talking about it looks ****ing awesome, leave it alone and let me watch a film!"

Lol so make sure you dont get too sucked into looking for the perfect image, it looks so good out of the box, i just got curious :)

5. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Hey SilentBob........... I bet you are more silent than usual today !
    I bet you are at home right now plugging it in.

" No time for the forums now..... must watch more movies ....... !!! "

Tell us what you think :D

6. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Not quite, another 45mins to go! ARRGHGHHGHH!

This is absolute torture - and yes I will be sure to post my feeling sometime in the next 30 days. No promises though. ;)

7. kballs

kballs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe, I agree, so far I have changed nothing on mine except the zoom and focus. :cool:

8. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Where were you at the time? :laugh: :clap:

9. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OH My God!

Sorry, that didn't quite work, what I meant to say was...

fudge ME!!

I have just spent the most joyous Home Cinema related 5 hours ever, and I am still in shock. I still cannot believe just how good this thing looks.

I feel like a raving, drooling fanboy - but I did truly not believe that my favourite films could look this good using affordable consumer gear. Colours totally natural, detailed, smooth - just brilliant!

2 negatives:

1) VB is there - it will always be there - and in my estinmation is there on every one of these projectors (no, nothing to do with luck - it's still there). One thing I will say (and I will probably post at greater length in the appropriate thread) is that it varies wildy - but I'd guess that owing to the fact that these PJ's are relatively new to the market, a lot of the VB whinging is done from people yet to configure the units properly, and I'd dare say very few have been given the chance to settle in.

My view is that, due to the vast number of variables in configuration settings, source material, hardware sources etc etc - I'd say once people latch onto the effect once, they obsess ad infinitum until they can focus on little else.

I initially thought that I would have a real problem, my first movie was SW Ep IV - and the section that R2 and Threepio hit Tatooine was terrible. After this scene however, not one movie showed anything like the severity of the effect. I suspect that a certain combination of hues and film based artifacts cause the problem to worsen. And, now that I have a config on the projector I am happy with, I will go back and review all these movies again and see if I can confirm my theories about hue and film stock grain.

For me, this one experience was eclipsed by a torrent of astoundingly movie like experiences - I am looking at old flicks with a new zest now - it has revitalised my DVD collection.

2) The only other problem was that - DVD is far too low a resolution to fully do justice to this incredible projector. :) Luckily thanks to the magic of the Internet, I am equippied (along with my VGA cable and my PC) to feed the panny some high class HD material - I reckon it'll eat it up.

That is all - I need to sleep off my severe case of movie lag. What a day. :)

10. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Glad your enjoying your PJ at last. I don't want to rub it in - but I have no (or very,very,very little VB). Your PJ may get better with use, as a lot do. The picture quality on my PJ got better after around 30-50 hours on the clock (I didn't think it could get better than it was), and I am still amazed by the quality after 527 hours (ouch!). Things just got better also with the new HiDef stuff, with Star Wars ep.2 looking amazing on the cgi bits, and Matrix 2 being mind blowingly good! Enjoy!!!

11. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is my point though Deano - you will have VB. I really believe that there is less tolerance between units than some seem to believe. I am of the opinion that after 30-40 mins warm up time the problem becomes less of an issue. And then depending on the material, I don't notice it. It really depends on what you are watching, what picture settings you have, how the machine is connected, the source quality. The fact that you say you admit to still having 'very very little' means that it is still present and it will be worse with certain variables.

Anyhoo, agree on Episode 2 hidef - although Kill Bill in 720p pips it for me. :)

12. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Silentbob,

Glad you got it all hooked up and running at last. Nice to read how happy you are with the unit.

I agree that there may be VB on each unit, but I honestly have yet to see it on mine. This could be a combination of good luck, and not looking in the right (wrong) place of a particular scene at the right (wrong) time.

I am still in the "this projector is amazing" world, and it too has made me go back through my DVD collection with a new found passion.

:thumbsup:

Mark

13. joffonon

joffonon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I wouldn't use this scene as a judge. There are artefacts burnt into the film, due to the severe heat in the Tunisian desert when it was filmed back in the mid-Seventies. A similar effect can apparently be seen in certain scenes in Lawrence of Arabia.

A better Star Wars scene to use is the opening to Attack of the Clones; the fog-shrouded opening on Coruscant as the ship lands at the landing platform is a good test, and for me has never shown any VB.

14. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am aware of this, I am intimiately familiar with Star Wars and it's issues. Consequently I am able to distinguish between artifacts. The lines I saw were also not present when viewed on my 28" CRT. The haziness and hues in this scene also cause issues on other films (AOTC on tatooine for example, although to a lesser extent).

Oh, and I tried the 'power off' trick - and it does indeed seem to help significantly.

15. Pidsley

Pidsley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading this thread with interest.

My AE700 comes tomorrow. Do you know how much the pic quality will be affected by maximum offset . I need to mount my pj to the maximum left of the screen. (diagonal projection?)

Also waht is VB?

16. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    If you use maximum lens shift you will apparently loose some of the focus on the far edge of the picture. This is according to the projectors reviews. It's not just the 700, but most PJ's with lens shift suffer from this to some degree.

The issue is whether it :
    a) Is noticable to you at all
    b) bothers you at all
    c) is worth the compromise for the installation

Only you can decide. Just make sure you do lots of testing before you start drilling holes in your walls and fixing it into permanent position !

As for the VB, this is Vertical Banding. If you dont know what it looks like, DONT go looking for it. If you have it, you will see it on some scenes of some movies, and there are things you can do to minimise it.

The best tip for reducing/stopping VB is to turn the projector off at the mains when you are not using it. I do this on mine, and have yet to see any VB from it.

Good luck with your install,

Mark