1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Ae100-Repair/Replacement? Pics of problems in Thread

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calibos, Mar 6, 2003.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My Ae100 has developed the dreaded colour staining?/uniformity? issue. Well its always been there to some extent but it seems to have gotten steadily worse over the last 2 months.

I've also been experiencing increased incidents of bulb flicker. Again this problem presented itself from the beginning but went away to a large extent after about a month but it has returned in the last week or so.

My AE100 has also developed a serious dust problem in the last fortnight. I noticed several fist sized diffuse patchs on the screen. Focusing from one extreme to the other would make some patches disappear and others appear elsewhere on the screen. With shutter mode on I looked into the lense (not directly) and I could see one of the mirrors and it had a lot of dust specks on it.

I know the dust issue is easily rectified and was about to buy a can of compressed air, but the thought of invalidating my warranty which expires in mid April got me thinking that maybe I should get the other problems sorted by Pansonic before its too late. I had decided that I could probably live with them a few months ago because I didn't want to be without my PJ for months while it was in for repair (like some of the horror stories I've read here) but as I said the problems have gotten steadily worse recently which has prompted me to take action.

I emailed Panasonic 2 days ago and still haven't gotten a reply. I do hope they are not waiting till my warranty expires before they sort my PJ out. Do you lot reckon I can expect a replacement PJ or a repair of my current one and will they organise a PJ for me while mine is in for repair? Is all this done through my original dealer or with Panasonic directly? After reading all the horror stories about AE100's with the colour uniformity issue being away for repair for 4 or 5 months I would prefer a permanent replacement. Of course I would have no problem paying for the 'bulb' hours I had already used up....Actually if they were going to replace the PJ do you reckon they would replace it with an AE300 if I payed the bulb cost and the price differance because I've lost faith in my AE100 sadly.

Anyway heres some digicam pics I took which exhibit the problems:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above Pics - From Black Hawk Down. Notice the colour bands at left and right.

[​IMG]

Above Pic - PJ Screen with blue screen from PJ service menu. Notice diffuse dust patches and increased brightness at left and right. It actually runs along the top and bottom aswell although not as noticably.

[​IMG]

Above Pic - White service menu screen projected onto A4 white paper held in front of lense

[​IMG]

Above Pic - Projection onto paper in front of lense again in the correct ?focal plane? to bring the dust specks into sharp focus. The colour uniformity issue seems to have overloaded the camera brightness sensor!!

[​IMG]

Above Pic - And finally heres a pic of the 'Self Check' screen

So do you guys reckon I deserve a replacement??

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Keith,

Bums !!

If the pics of Blackhawk Down that you've posts are accurate (i.e. that the pic is green in the middle with bright blue at the edges, then I reckon that you've prob got damage in the optics, maybe heat soak has damaged the polarising filters. Given the hours you've clocked up, you must be running for extended periods, and I've read posts where this has happened to others (can't remember if its here or on avsforum).

If I was you I'd phone Panasonic Customer Service directly - they should arrange for the PJ to be collected and sorted out - I understand that if you want a replacement, you might have to wait until one becomes available, or can opt to have it repaired without a relacement. You could contact their service center in the UK (Multipoint, IIRC, they have a website - try Google), they would prob deal with you directly also.

AFAIK, getting the opticals repaired is lengthy - prob delay in getting parts, so its up to you whether you seek a replacement or not. If the repair is likely to take a long time, Panasonic might do a straight replacement for you. Doubt they'lldo a P/X on an AE300 - it's not on UK release 'til March/April according to reports.

Don't delay in getting this to Panasonic to sort out - but I don't think they'd deliberately delay because of the warranty period anyhow.

Tough luck,

Sean.

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Cheers m8!;)

Just my luck, NTL are coming to install digital tomorrow, Peats of Parnell Street are delivering my new Sony DB 1080, Mission M74's and M7C1 and cables on Friday. I should have been ceiling mounting the PJ next week aswell as putting up new wall to wall DVD shelves and Movie poster glass picture frames. I've an €1800 3 seat leather recliner arriving in a couple of weeks... All in I've just invested or am about to invest over €3000 in the room............AND THEN THIS HAPPENs. AARRGGGHHHH !!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

4. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest where did you purchase the projector?

If it was from a reputable dealer they may be able to influence repair times and/or a replacement unit.

They may also be able to supply a "loan" unit.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Brock.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Keith.

Bummer on the AE100 front :(

My 2p:

0 chance of a replacement, but I hope you prove me wrong. This comes from fairly hefty knowledge of the service industry, from both within, & without!

Serious picture degradation from your pics. They'll have to repair it, with a new lamp, optic block & maybe even panels.

So, you will, in effect, have a brand new AE100. All Panasonic Ireland (your call will be routed to the UK) will do is recommend your nearest authorised Panasonic service centre. Unlikely they'll have vast experience with the AE100, & most certainly one with > 3000 hours on the clock!

Hope it works out OK for you (which I'm sure it will), but it'll take some time I bet. Your only chance of a replacement (maybe AE300) is, if it still isn't right after a repair. Then demand a replacement.

New gear.....recliner etc.... you should have got a HS10. Worth sitting on the floor for :D

Keep us posted :smashin:

6. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calibos

Mine had the pink/green stain colour uniformity problem. Panasonic told me to keep hold of it whilst they were waiting for replacement parts. After a couple of months (and deciding they were waiting for the wrong parts) they arranged a collection.

I received a loan model direct from Panasonic in November and they took mine in for repair. The collection was made by a firm called Burnham who apparently arange all of Panasonic's collection/deliveries. I was phoned a week later to tell me it couldn't be repaired. Without needing to argue, I was offered a replacement and I was promised a new unit without any dead pixels and with no trace of the colour uniformity problem.

Its now March and I'm still waiting! I do believe the delay has been caused by the courier firm and not by Panasonic - apparently a model was identified for me by Panasonic and then subsequently delivered to somebody else. I was then told they had found another unit for me and I would have it in a couple of days but that was 3 weeks ago.

The image from mine looked nowhere near as bad as yours does. They were still happy to offer a replacement so I do think you've got a good chance. But get a move on before the warranty period expires. Call the Panasonic customer helpline on 08705 357357 (not sure if its different for Ireland I'm afraid).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Richard

7. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Following on from my rant about my luck
    The ntl installer arrived and hooked me up to digital! Even though I have only connected it via composite to the PJ at the mo, I have to say I am thrilled by the improvement in PQ over analogue on my PJ. So much so, that this new and improved tv picture is showing up my problems with the PJ even more. Vertical banding, dust on panels, colour distortion on side of screen etc are even more distinct with the new clear/sharp tv picture I now have.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sean(Ritz)- Black Hawk Downs opening scenes were filmed this way with washed out colours and grennish tinge, its just it shows up the problem more distinctly than most scenes. In fact this used to be the only film/ scene I could see the staining on but as I said the problem has gotten worse and now its quite obvious even on normally filmed scenes/films.

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi Keith

Looks pretty bad :( this doesn't hold up much hope for all of us who still have yet to reach even 1000 hours :(

I wonder if the dust specs could be the Lamp's coating starting to break up, I have read this before on this forum recently, it wasn't the AE100 though.

Good Luck

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Keith,

Just out of interest, I recall you posting some time ago that you didn't clean the filter very often - was that a leg-pull or were you serious ? Also curious as to the temp in room and your average runtime per day ?

Reason for curiosity is clogged filter = less airflow, and I've read other posts recommending turning the fan up in the service menu while leaving bulb on LOW for extended runtimes to avoid heat damage to optics. Might be a pointer for other users who run for extended periods. Mine normally only runs for duration of 1 movie plus extras - say 3 - 4 hrs max at a time, usually less, just the movie or a football match.

Have you contacted Panasonic yet, any news ??

I'm familiar with Blackhawk Down, and "khaki" tone to movie, but your screenshot still looks 'orrible - deffo serious prob.

See ya,

Sean G.

10. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    AARRGGGHHHH!!:mad: :mad: Poxy mother******* internet connection!! I've just lost a 500 word response to your last post Sean. I'm too tired to type it again tonight. I'll answer tomorrow.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Keith,

I've just absolutely laughed my head off !!!! that's the most emotion I've yet seen in a post here !! :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

If I had a £ for every time I've done that I'd be a rich man !!!!

See ya,

Sean :smashin:

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I tend to copy my text quite frequently to avoid loosing to much text, or like me, I use AOL, I then sometimes run internet explorer over the top then you don't loose text if you get disconnected.

Or buy a House :D ;)

Just checked out my lamp, and there is no coating so ignore my earlier post.

13. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Now lets see can I remember what I typed last night??

1. I clean the filter about every 250 hours and to be honest it hardly ever looks like it needs doing. I usually blow the dust off which because there is so little dust leaves it spotless. If theres more dust than usual I use the hoover. Its not that the intake fan is broken or anything because if I put my hand over the vent, I can feel the air flowing over my fingers. If the intakes were blocked my internal temp should be very high but AFAICS my temps on the self check screen are fine. Have a look at the self check picture above. The PJ had been on for 3-4 hours at least when those pics were taken.

2. Room temp would be average I suppose or the cool side of average. I have the radiator permanently turned off in the room.

3. 3040hrs in low lamp mode over time owned of 330 days = Avg. 9 hrs a day. The usage pattern would be 2-3 hours on an hour off. You have to remember there are 4 of us who use the room regularily for movies, Tv viewing and console gaming.

4. I already run the fan on full power and have done so for a few months because it seemed to reduce the incidence of lamp flicker.

5. Got back late from work again today so I suppose I'll have to wait till monday to ring them:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi Keith

My Ae100 is now out of warranty :( after seeing your pictures I decided to open mine up for a clean. :eek: checked the lamp out first, very basic, but very clean, I then opened it up, and was shocked at how much dust was on the intake fan next to the filter, you would think this would get to the panels. The front grill was also quite dusty as well as the Exhaust fan.
    I then had a look at the Panels, you can't actually see that much, just the ribbons gonig down into the panels, I put the PJ on its side and blew into the panel area with a can of compressed air.
    I did have a slight dust blob, but cannot see it now, but it was only faint.
    I may go into it deeper if I ever get any bad dust blobs showing, this would meen removing the main PVB board to get to the Panels. It might be worth keeping your fingers off any PCB boards, just incase ;)
    Here's a photo of the Panel ribbons.

Attached Files:

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Here's another photo:

Attached Files:

16. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the pics timh. Looks like a qualified tech will be cleaning the dust out of mine.........while he tears the guts out of my panny to fix it!:D

I just read in another thread that the AE300 will be STG£2000?? Thats €2900. I didn't realise that. I thought it was going to be the same as the AE100 when new ie STG£1400 (€2000). I suppose that even if there was a slim chance that they would replace mine or even do part-ex against an AE300, they'd probably only give me the current new Panny market value ie STG£800 (€1200) rather than the price I paid of €2000. At a push I could have come up with the €900 but not €1700!!

I watched XXX and Windtalkers tonight and sat at the back of the room ie 1.8 SW, something which I haven't done in quite a while. I'm still using interlaced S-Video. The pic looked fabulous. I can't imagine it looking much better even with Progressive TBH. NTL Digital via composite looked great too from that distance (Though I'll still get the JS RGB to S-Video Convertor) When this new couch arrives and I ceiling mount all the main seating will be at this optimum distance. So I feel kinda guilty for saying that I've lost faith in my Panny earlier. I haven't really, I was just a bit plssed off with the colour bars down the sides and the dust and thoughts off being without it for weeks or months (I know, I should get a life!:D ) If I can get this sorted reasonably quickly I'll once again be a happy AE100 loving camper!!:D

17. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    The effect shown in the screen shots is exactly the same (albeit slightly more pronounced) as I'm seeing. There's been some discussion about it in the "Who owns the Panasonic..." thread.

I emailed Panasonic on 24th February but haven't received an answer as yet. When I phoned their Customer Care line I was told "It might be the bulb - but then again it might not." Helpful stuff.

I've ordered a replacement bulb to see if it does make any difference, but I have a sneaking feeling that I'll simply see the same effect but a tad brighter. Incidentally, my bulb life is still under 2000 hours, all on Low.

I have to say that the effect is scarcely visible on programme material, so I'm not too worried as yet. And Keith, I agree that the AE100 is capable of quite stunning results. My humble Toshiba DVD player gives a superb picture via the component connection, and the Pro-V-treated composite output of my Sky box is more than acceptable.

I'll report back when I've fitted the new bulb...

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

18. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Bert,

Was searching through your threads in relation to the RS S-Video issue and found this in relation to general panny problems, repairs, replacements refunds etc.

I think I might look up the Irish sale of goods act, demand a refund because the panny obviously isn't durable and buy a new ae300 or hs10 with the cash!!:D

With regard to the rgb-s-video convertor, have you heard whether the new model exhibits the same problems as your one?

19. simonr

simonr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calibos, looking at your colour staining pics had me wundering what kind of enviroment your projector is in, any smokers in the house?

20. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes 2 of us but never in the room the projector is in.

21. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3 words:

snowball's
    chance
    hell

:p

Repair Keith, while it's still under warranty. If they can't repair it successfully (good chance here), you may get a replacement.

Make noise! Lots of noise!

:laugh:

22. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I can dream can't I!!:D :D

I'll be making lots of noise tomorrow morning!:devil:

23. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. Read the forum rules :devil:

:rotfl:

:clap: :clap:

Best of luck & keep us posted ;)

24. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My dream might be coming true!!:D More info later!!

25. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I can't wait :) AE300???????????

26. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Keith,

Spit it out you big git !!!!:devil:

Giddy up !!

Sean G.

27. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your PM inbox is full!

Thanks for phoning Keith - glad I could be of assistance ;)

I think you'll be far happier with the HS10. I'm sure you'll get over the throw ratio problem. Lucky you hadn't ceiling mounted the AE100 eh!

Have a look in my thread for the Powerstrip timings for DVI. Give me a shout if you've any probs.

Looks like it did - you lucky bugger. I'd say that's a result :smashin:

28. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    HS10! How did you manage that one Keith?
    You Lucky Bugger :D

29. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Keith,

So you got a HS10 in a swop for your AE100. Boy, you've been had and no mistake about it. You realize you'll need industrial ear defenders because of the noise of the thing, and in about 8 months time you'll need a new bulb (that's assuming the bulb in it condescends to come on more than 1 out of every five tries - at least when a Panny has a problem with its bulb it can make its mind up about it).

Then there's the fabled "long throw" - you'll need to put the fecking thing in your neighbours garden and project through the window to get a regular sized image.

All this HS10 love is very suspect, methinks, a large noisy dimplex lookalike, fussy about pixel-perfect and dodgey bulb. Nope, I'd stick with a replcement AE100.

Keep us posted,

Sean G.

30. sainthalo

sainthalo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny story - i saw an ae100 and was disappointed at how noisy it was. i mentioned to the salesman that it was pretty noisy. he went into an adjacent room and turned off another projector (a hs10!) and then there was silence (practically)! cool!

the other projector was a hs10 which i also checked out but it was definitely too noisy and the improvement in picture quality was not worth the vast price difference (this was according to the salesman and i agreed!!!)