My 60" ZT is a truly wonderful TV

stampedeadam

Standard Member
Okay, so a bit of a brag but also a strong recommendation for those out there who want to get themselves a really good telly.

I had a little get together at mine recently and lined up a load of HD pop videos to provide the entertainment. I've been very busy recently with one thing and another and haven't had much time to watch movies and I'd forgotten just how good the picture on this TV is when fed a decent signal - even though in my opinion it makes a better attempt at a good picture than most when fed the ropy SD signal I get down my satellite dish.

One of the videos that came on was this one:

The contrast was just crazy good. Bright white, right next to pitch black. For a TV that does colour so accurately it seems odd that it's so good in black and white! Also impressive is how good the Youtube app is on it. Although this is a minor point it's 100% stable on wifi, no buffering or crashing or hangs - unlike other TVs I've used.

4k, HDR, quantum dot, curved screens... these are the buzzwords at the moment. This is just a 1080p TV on an outdated technology. But wow, that technology really did go out with a bang. Hopefully my plasma won't... at least not any time soon :)

drdocmatt

Fortunately the "curved screen" buzzword has died the death, and "quantum dot" is just Samsung trying to persuade people they were right not to get into OLED, which evidence so far does not support ..

4K is the future however. Even if most people sit too far from their TV to tell the difference.

Good news is there is a 4K plasma available.. in 150" guise! ;)

Baseley09

I'm with you, our Panasonic GT50 is 5 years old now and I can't see a reason to upgrade, ive demoed loads of OLED's and the jump...even if there is one - i'm not convinced! Is no way worth the £2K + outlay. I'm going to stick until it dies for now as the quality level just isn't out there IMO.

drdocmatt

I do think OLED is a significant improvement over even plasma, or it has the potential. The issue at the moment is a) sample and hold makes motion look crap, and b) screen evenness. For a new technology they are very, very good.

Baseley09

I do think OLED is a significant improvement over even plasma, or it has the potential. The issue at the moment is a) sample and hold makes motion look crap, and b) screen evenness. For a new technology they are very, very good.
Oh yeah for sure, i'm very excited about OLED if I was to upgrade it would be the only place i'd go - but at the minute i'm not impressed enough to make the leap for the money when Plasma's from the tail end of it's life are still amazing. I did have a look at the Sony A1 and thought that was nice, but 3K!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I really want to buy a panny plasma but I fear it'll break within a year or two given how old they are now (second hand).

If I could buy one new, I'd get one no doubt about it. Its the beautiful motion of plasma which I miss the most (something OLEDs can't compete with).

encaser

Okay, so a bit of a brag but also a strong recommendation for those out there who want to get themselves a really good telly.

I had a little get together at mine recently and lined up a load of HD pop videos to provide the entertainment. I've been very busy recently with one thing and another and haven't had much time to watch movies and I'd forgotten just how good the picture on this TV is when fed a decent signal - even though in my opinion it makes a better attempt at a good picture than most when fed the ropy SD signal I get down my satellite dish.

One of the videos that came on was this one:

The contrast was just crazy good. Bright white, right next to pitch black. For a TV that does colour so accurately it seems odd that it's so good in black and white! Also impressive is how good the Youtube app is on it. Although this is a minor point it's 100% stable on wifi, no buffering or crashing or hangs - unlike other TVs I've used.

4k, HDR, quantum dot, curved screens... these are the buzzwords at the moment. This is just a 1080p TV on an outdated technology. But wow, that technology really did go out with a bang. Hopefully my plasma won't... at least not any time soon :)
Isn't it about time you treated yourself, and telly, to a HD satellite setup whilst your ZT lives on in all its glory?!

gibbsy

My Panny VT65 is brilliant, still as exciting to look at as the day Steve Withers came to calibrate it. Now it's over four years old and I have no intention of changing it for a still evolving technology that apart from disc has a very thinly spread broadcast coverage.

I dread the day it might go bang forcing me into buying an OLED.

drdocmatt

Don't dread it. The colour saturation on offer is astounding. Get one with BFI and the motion is pretty good too (certainly good enough for 24p HD blue ray).

I dread the cost, that's all...

gibbsy

Don't dread it. The colour saturation on offer is astounding. Get one with BFI and the motion is pretty good too (certainly good enough for 24p HD blue ray).

I dread the cost, that's all...
I don't think my wife knows how much the best OLEDs are. 'We can get a 65" next', said she. What! I want that in writing and witnessed.:eek:

Mr Regan

My Panny VT65 is brilliant, still as exciting to look at as the day Steve Withers came to calibrate it. Now it's over four years old and I have no intention of changing it for a still evolving technology that apart from disc has a very thinly spread broadcast coverage.

I dread the day it might go bang forcing me into buying an OLED.
I thought the same until this happened today on my 65". I'm gutted and thought it would have lasted more than 3 years.

20170901_000718.jpg

gibbsy

I thought the same until this happened today on my 65". I'm gutted and thought it would have lasted more than 3 years.

View attachment 905403
Panasonic, I believe, still have panels available for warranty repairs. I still have a few months left on my five year warranty. I'm sure your set would have had the same.

Mr Regan

Panasonic, I believe, still have panels available for warranty repairs. I still have a few months left on my five year warranty. I'm sure your set would have had the same.
It only came with a 1 year warranty from Hughes.

Mr Regan

You have consumer rights as outlined here:
Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994
Three years falls short of a durability time. Contact Hughes quoting the above legislation.
Thanks I'll send them an email but doubt they will play ball, I've read stories of them trying to get out of replacing TV's that were actually in warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom