My 4th Sony FS70 has packed up.. What should I do

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Jon Weaver, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +724
    I despair.

After having 3 FS70s from a supplier, I got a refund and turned to John Lewis to supply me with a new one.

Like the others, when it came, the box had been re-sealed, the screen had no stickers on and the tube was covered in finger prints.

But, because of the history, I decided that it must be OK.

I watched it all evening, then put it in standby when I went to bed.

Immediatly the LED went into a flashing fit! It flashed about 5 times per seconds.

At first, I thought that my other half was sat on the remote, but it soon became clear that the TV had packed up.

Even when I switch it off at the mains and turn it on, it goes into Standby.. But when you try to turn it on, either by remote or by the buttons on top, the LED flashes!

I unplugged it for 1/2 hour and it was the same, so I unplugged it for the night.

I came down this morning and it worked fine.. But when I switched it off, it got back into the same state and I can't switch it on again.

Obviously, I can demand a replacement.. But I am starting to wonder whether I should bother.

Perhaps I should get a Toshiba, or even a smaller Loewe...

What do you think I should do?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pesonally I would get a refund and try a different make. I prone to buying a Panasonic or Toshiba myself.
    Good luck...

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can empathise. I've not had the honour of
    owning a large screen TV (yet) but it amazes
    me how these large eletronics manufacturers can get away with producing and supplying dodgy TV's. Staining, vertical bars, used goods... These things cost as much as a small car yet with all the millions they pump into R&D they still manage to produce substandard equipment. Quality uncontrol?

And another thing...

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of my 36FS70 at the weekend and when it was powered on, found a yellow/green stain at the top right corner of the display...

Waiting for an engineer on Saturday to try and get it replaced.

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    I think that thats a common problem too..

My new one (Which is broken) has a slight greeny/grey stain too.

I have a feeling that my other ones did too, but I stoped noticing after a few days.. It might have still been there, or it might have gone away..

Keep checking as I wonder if this disappears as the TV 'settles' in. After all, its degaused everytime you switch it on.

6. William

William
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jon

Sorry to hear your continuing bad luck.

You may well have checked this, but are you sure you haven't got a button stuck on the remote control ?. Taking it out of the room or taking the batteries out would obviously confirm this.

William

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    hehehehe.. Thought of that.

At first I accused my misses of sitting on the remote..

But then I remembered that I had finished programming them all into my pronto and had packed them away.

So, then I wondered if the Pronto was pumping out some IR.

TOok that out of the room and the TV still did it.

THen I wondered if something else was generating IR.. So I covered up the IR input on the TV and it still did it.

When I have the TV working.. The LED flashes when it gets IR codes about 3 times per second.

When its in the 'error' state, it faster at about 5 times per second.

The TV is defiantly hosed.. I have no doubts about that!

Whats weird is that when I finally get it to switch on, it works fine.. Last nigth I put it in and out of standby 10 times with no problems.

Then I put it in standby, waited 20 seconds and tried to turn it on and it f**ked up again!

8. Cinders

Cinders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a KV36FS70....

Anyway....

When I first got it it was ok, nether bothered with geomtry , quality etc, I was just happy I'd got a 36" Widescreen TV. Anyway, soon enough it developed a green tinge in the top left hand corner.

I rang up the suppliers and demanded a replacement tv since this one was faulty. Anyway they where adamant not to replace the tv but to have the tube replaced by the Sony place nr me who were dealing with it. So..

To save hassle I let them take the tv away on the Monday, they replaced the tube and set up the geometry for me Tuesday, tested it all day Wednesday and returned it to me Thursday (which wansn't too bad)

Anyway since getting it back - it's Spot-On! The Geometry is bang on perfect and the tinge has gone. The colours and quality of the picture from SKY through RGB is absolutely excellent!

I am very very happy with my Sony now the gemotry and tube has been sorted.

It's a great set. If you can sort the Geometry problems out then it's the one!

I got the engineers to do mine as if I started I'd still be adjusting it now!

HTH.

Matt.

9. Slipperman

Slipperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I, too, have the Green tint in the top left hand corner and, I believe slightly suspect geometry of our new set. The engineers are coming soon. Any advice on dealing with them? I am concerned I might get a 'nothing we can do' response.

Thanks

10. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi.
    Give a Loewe a try.
    I think the larger J Lewis sell them
    so no problems there.
    later
    Gary

11. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    But the biggest Loeweo is only 32", which is no good.. I need 36" or more!.

Plus, whilst there is no doubt that their TVs are good, they cost a huge amount more than the closest 32" model..

Their 40" model looks interesting.. But its expensive, heavy and doesn't have a flat screen..

I think that I am going to stick with the Sony.. Its the best I am going to get for my money.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get a green tinge on the top left hard corner of my 36FS70, but it's not there all the time, only every now and again.

I put it down to perhaps having a speaker too close etc but reading these threads maybe it's a fault with the tube.

In your experiences is the tinge there constantly or only every now and again?

Thanks,

13. Slipperman

Slipperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Green tinge is there all the time, although it is sometimes masked by what particular colours are being display in that area.

It also does reduce slightly in size if the set has been on a while.

The engineey who looked at it wants to come back and tune the tube withh tiny magnets(?).

I had also notices some ares of the set had a slight pink tinge (only visible on whites). The engineer's explanation for that was that the constrast was set to high!! It was only set to about half, and I actually prefer my blacks black and my white white! His adjustment was to lower the contrast and slightly increase the brightmess. The picture was awful, like watching everything through fog. Needless to say I changed it back!

High? contrast causing the slight pink? What are your opinions?

14. 9004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the Loewe sets are smaller and dearer, but this is because they WORK! But seriously, you'll find better reliability with Philips than your Sony. I don't know what has gone wrong at Sony over the past few years, but quality really has dropped, whereas Philips in my experience have dramatically improved in the same time scale. 10 years ago I wouldn't touch one, but now they're excellent.