1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 4805 and HTPC setup in action plus comparison screenshots...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by shaolin95, Aug 16, 2005.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, screenshots are never the same as real life. My image is better than what you will see here, more shadow detail and better color balance but honestly these images are a fair representation of my 4805 and HTPC setup.
    My setup:
    4805 thru DVI
    HTPC setup ZoomPlayer/Nvidia or Dscaler/ ffdshadow.
    A64 3400 (2400Mhz @ 2650Mhz/ 1 Gig PDP XBL 3200)
    Size : 9' Wide (124" diag)
    Viewing distance: 13-14'
    SDE is only visible with Credits and some random sky shot but nothing that will bother me for long and the size and quality of the HTPC setup more than makes up for it.

Here are some more screenshots. I hope you like them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Regards

2. shaolin95

shaolin95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here are some comparison pics from the H31 and the 4805. The H31 are from Guitarman's H31 thread (AVS forum) the 4805's are mine. I know there are many variables that make comparisons like these less than fair but they are fun to watch I think.
    First Image H31 / Second 4805 :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Dagame's ISFed pj
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Killer pics - nice to be reminded of what the 4805 can do. What screen are you using and what signal is going to the PJ?

4. olimalaysia

olimalaysia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    brilliant, so glad i just bought a 4805. going to set up over the weekend, so my family wont see me for days.
    i bought it new for GBP660!!

5. nedaruss

nedaruss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of buying a 4805, where did you get it for that price...A BARGAIN !!! :thumbsup:

6. olimalaysia

olimalaysia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought it at an AV show in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

7. shaolin95

shaolin95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a DIY Blackout cloth (under $30) and using a DVI connection VRM9 renderless with Bob Williams gain/offset numbers 59/28. He is one of the 4805's engineers.
    Yesterday I am quite sure I was able to perfectly map the projector 1:1 at 854x480 @ 72Hz normally everyone uses it at 848x480 but yesterday I was playing with some settings in the Nvidia resolution screen an the projector reported 854x480 even though the settings in the nvidia panel still show 856x480. The thing is , everything looked razor sharp! Much better than what I saw when taking the screenshots.
    Thanks all for the compliments.

8. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'll definately give those gains & offsets a go. The colours look bang on!

9. shaolin95

shaolin95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to mention that those numebers are for DVI input and they will work as long as your source is passing the correct unaltered signal. They were tested with a Bravo 2 and other users HTPC. It will seem based on some feedback that the OPPO player needs some tweaking cause it will either crush blacks or whites, cant recall.

10. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thats OK I'm running a Yamakawa 365 via Iscan HD. Are you outputting PC level blacks or video and is that Gladiator Hi Def or DVD?

11. shaolin95

shaolin95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All shots are DVDs as I am just getting some HD movies right now. Probably will have some Man on Fire HD shots soon...I just saw a clip yesterday and its awesome.

12. biglyle

biglyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HTPC makes all the differance in the world. It is simply amazing what 1:1 pixel mapping can do for a standard DVD.

13. shaolin95

shaolin95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been using 848x480 but right now I am using 854x480 (sort of) and it looks razor sharp, easily better than 848x480. It seems to be doubt wether I am actually doing 854 or not since the projector says I am but my desktop says 856x480...Still at the end of the day the increase detail is there and very visible so 854 or not I am keeping the new settings.
    Regards

14. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Shaolin, could you post your pics as .jpg as the pics you've posted only fill half of the screen.

Thanx

15. shaolin95

shaolin95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean? Thats the images are full size...please explain.
    Regards

16. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Shaolin95 - any high def screenshots yet? Have 4805 and am also using DIY blackout - have not entered th eworld of HCPC - too confusing. Is there an idiots guide that you know of?

17. robzter

robzter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi guys im new here looking to buy my first projector for a room about 12 ft x 8 and what i want to know is ,is the 4805 you speak of the InFocus ?
    im lookin at the Z3 as well as ive seen it for £679 exc VAT as im in Jersey.
    all your help would help.shaolin95 i cant believe the fantastic quality of your shots from the 4805,im seriously tempted ,are there any screengrabs of the Z3?

18. shaolin95

shaolin95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish you could see them live, they are much better and high def is even better! Yesterday I wanted to watch a few scenes of Chronicles of Riddick HD to compare it with the DVD I had rented and the HD version looked sooooo good that I couldnt stop watching and finish the whole movie and it was jaw dropping. Color resolution makes such a difference between DVD and HD and you can see the difference everywhere from facil details that are sometimes just too detailed to panoramic views that show much more detail than a dvd can show. Unfortunately my camera is not able to capture detail enough to show the differences between HD and DVD but perhaps I could try taking some close ups to show the difference in small things objects.
    One thing that is making a lot of difference from my previous screenshots is that I am now able to use the perfec 1:1 map at 854x480 and it makes a visible difference in detail and sharpness to the image.
    I would recommend the 4805 and HTPC setup to almost anyone that doesnt one to sit closer than 1.5x. For anyone that really wants 720P then I rather go for a 720 DLP cause without disrespect to LCD owners, the current 720p budget PJs like the Z3 and AE700 lack the blacks and contrast level to match a 4805 or well calibrated H31. Of course they have the resolution advantage but as I normally say, I will take my punchy and accurate 4805 image over any washed out higher res one. What system do you use NTSC or PAL?

19. robzter

robzter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    me? i use PAL and if i may be so dumb to ask as i didnt get a lot of that !! :eek: what is the HTPC set up??when you say you watched the HD version of the Chronicles of Riddick where do you get HD version from? and will nornal dvds look just as hot?also is this PJ good enough to throw a large image at a short distance? thanks again.

20. shaolin95

shaolin95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try this web, they have a ffdshow guide that I used to start my HTPC path.
    http://www.htpcnews.com/
    Look under the GUIDES tab
    Feel free to email me for questions.
    Regards

21. robzter

robzter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    wow that looks a bit of a head fudge.
    so does it convert a dvd thru the pc and software? do you reburn it after?i dont get it.

22. wassap

wassap
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Shaolin, i take it the room was totally blacked out to get contrast like that?

Looks fantastic!

23. shaolin95

shaolin95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The room is pitch black and my PJ is as fas as possible to prevent light spills and reflections.

24. biglyle

biglyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shaolin

I will post a few pics of my H31 in action tognight, I have just finished re-calibrating it and can honestly say it looks a lot better than those guitarman shots. Its not a crisp as yours (no HTPC here) but it is pretty close using the Panny S97 as the dvd player.

25. shaolin95

shaolin95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool! I love to see some other screenshots even though they never reflect what you are actually seeing. I recommend you give HTPC a try and you wont go back..honest it makes such a big difference that I can change from HD to DVD and not feel a huge step down in quality but I go from HD to regular DVD then its pretty hard to take the drop in quality.
    Regards

26. biglyle

biglyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I didnt have a chance to take the shots yesterday as my business has me hopping 16 hours a day at the moment.
    I will definately get them up this weekend.
    As for getting an HTPC, I am hoping to begin building one this winter.

27. Geoxis

Geoxis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Woaaowwww the image looks good.

28. BredStik

BredStik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I'm planning on getting this projector to use with a HTPC. You say you use the DVI connection, do you use DVI output on the PC or the VGA to DVI cable included with the projector?

Thanks

29. shaolin95

shaolin95

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use DVI output from my 6600GT.